• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Silky

Banned
Gonna talk about Sanic here for a bit since it seems more rational to be optimistic here lol

am I the only one who is generally excited at the Sonic Boom game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I'm more interested in this one than I was for Lost World, tbh, haha.

I just want to see what they do with it, I guess.

Sonic, Tails and Amy look fine, though Sonic's legs look weird in the trailer. The length and way they bend just seems off. I'm always down for scarves, all the coolest dudes wear them. Kamen Rider, the Doctor, Shinobi, Sherlock, so why not Sonic?

Can't make a whole lot out from the trailer but I'm glad they're going back to making the core four playable. Sonic's homing attack looks a bit Lost World-y.

Tizoc

Gonna talk about Sanic here for a bit since it seems more rational to be optimistic here lol

I am, but truth be told I'm gonna wait for the rest of the gang here to play it first on the 3DS.

Sciz

I think I'm more interested in this one than I was for Lost World, tbh, haha.

I'm starting to get the impression that Lost World started development as a big thing, and then Sega saw the writing on the wall for the Wii U and simultaneously got all this off the ground, and LW was internally yesterday's news long before it was even finished.

TheOGB

Banned

I'm genuinely excited for all of this, to see if, by some small miracle, it works out, or if it crashes and burns. This shit doesn't phase me anymore.

Anth0ny

This looks fucking awful.

And if Sonic has taught me anything over the last couple of years, if it looks awful, it is awful.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is fucking Sonic we're talking about here.

i'm going to hug my genesis now

Silky

Banned
This looks fucking awful.

And if Sonic has taught me anything over the last couple of years, if it looks awful, it is awful.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this is fucking Sonic we're talking about here.

i'm going to hug my genesis now

I thought the Sonic Cycle began when something looked fucking amazing.

Huh, actually surprised and intrigued with all this news. The redesigns don't look as bad as I thought (with the exclusion of Knuckles), and the Boom game actually looks interesting I'm that it's finally giving me what I wanted: alternate playable characters and large explorable environments. Though to be honest, I don't really see this Boom thing lasting for that long. It really depend on the success of the show, which may or may not end up getting around 2-3 years, then we may end up at square one again. The Boom game is outsourced and not by Sonic Team is also another sign of that. I think we may be looking at a MegaMan-esque spinoff thingy that runs concurrently with something else, but I dunno.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm starting to get the impression that Lost World started development as a big thing, and then Sega saw the writing on the wall for the Wii U and simultaneously got all this off the ground, and LW was internally yesterday's news long before it was even finished.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it seems even likelier now. I know I said, "hey, maybe the game was rushed, I don't know," but then I guess things happened and changed when cost vs return factored in going by how the Wii U was performing.

...and where, if you don't mind me asking, did you hear about this?
Trailer implied as such, among other things.

I STILL suspect they'd have a hand in it, but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Western-made.

Sciz

I'm genuinely excited for all of this, to see if, by some small miracle, it works out, or if it crashes and burns. This shit doesn't phase me anymore.

It'll be a decent game with some good ideas and somewhat mediocre execution due to being rushed out the door in order to release in time to build the brand for the holiday toy season. Your expectations are now either in line with reality or low enough that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, that's the thing. It might be rushed out to meet holiday sales or a certain date. Kinda hope not, but at the same time, this is Sega.

I do hope that it doesn't veer off into Sonic Heroes domain. But at least I'm pretty interested.

Anth0ny

Then what does that say about Boom? They probably started development by the time Wii U was already dead and buried.

this thing is going to sell fuck all. Wii U's fortunes aren't changing this year.

Yeah, that's the thing. It might be rushed out to meet holiday sales or a certain date. Kinda hope not, but at the same time, this is Sega.

I do hope that it doesn't veer off into Sonic Heroes domain. But at least I'm pretty interested.

As per usual, they'll release the new Sonic in October or November, when all the AAA juggernauts are released. I predict this year Boom will be out the same week as Smash Bros U ^_^

I'm going to quote myself from the gameplay thread here
I'm trying to get a read on the gameplay in the trailer and I ain't coming up with anything that looks like it actually works together, I'll need more footage and actual info to truly get an idea but it's like seeing a bunch of Sonic Adventure gameplay concepts crammed together into one gameplay mode instead of being separate? I mean perhaps there's something here but it all looks really....I want to say generic because outside of Sonic's speedy self the rest of it looks a very by the numbers kids game which would make sense considering the whole Sonic Boom show deal.

Okay so with that in mind I'm not seeing much here that does anything for me, regardless of how Lost World turned out it at least its reveal gave me those Sonic vibes and looked kinda hopeful while this here is like a more standard mascot character 3D adventure game with Sonic on board, open areas, various abilities and all that jazz.
I suppose it's interesting to see a Sonic title outside the hands of Sonic Team and Dimps, it could feasibly be a decent game on its own merits (that being the seemingly different focus). But it also looks like a hodge podge of ideas thrown together like they were running through a kids game check list.

Aside from potentially tickling that itch reminiscent of solid but not remarkable PS2 style action platformers there ain't nothing here for me right now and it certainly isn't what I think of when I think of a Sonic platformer, you could say that it's more of a Sonic Adventure...oh fuck.

Silky

Banned
CryEngine 3 is being used for Sonic Boom....ooh.

Here's Eggman:

Bf0QAxWCEAEbubG.jpg:large

qq more

Okay after seeing drawn artwork, Sonic doesn't look too bad, but he looks really bad in the game... The scarf is cool, but I don't care what they've done to everything else to him...

Also Knuckles... *barfs*

PS I actually wouldn't mind a Sonic Adventure 3 because I enjoyed the heck out of Adventure 1. 2 was fun too but 1 was greattttt

Sciz

Then what does that say about Boom? They probably started development by the time Wii U was already dead and buried.

They hired Senn in September 2012, so this'll probably have had a good two years of dev time by the end, all kidding aside.

The Wii U was arguably already dead at that point, but that's a separate issue.

edit: and having an actual engine to work with can only help, compared to whatever slapped together tool chain Sonic Team's been working with all these years.

qq more

eggman looks fine thankfully

outside of 06, eggman has never been exactly crappy has he? he was even likeable in shadow the hedgehog

Razzer

The impression I'm getting is that it isn't a Sonic game truly. And I don't mean that in a 'they ruined Sonic fuck Sega blah blah blah' kinda way, I mean it looks like one of those licensed games noone pays attention to just with Sonic being the license. Rather than the Sega teams thinking we need to make the next main game in the franchise lets get to work it's more the TV executives said lets make a game to go with the show we are making for some quick and dirty sales to kids who watch. Now, this isn't to say the game will definitely be bad, as there are a few examples of licensed games turning out really well, even the cheap ones. But that's how I'm going to treat this rather than a new game in the series.

Knuckles' proportions and Sonic's legs aside, I don't mind the new designs. The only thing I can hope for is that the game isn't a broken mess and is fun.
PS I actually wouldn't mind a Sonic Adventure 3 because I enjoyed the heck out of Adventure 1. 2 was fun too but 1 was greattttt

You already got Sonic Adventure 3. It was called Sonic 06. And Adventure 1 is awwwwwwful.

qq more

Knuckles' proportions and Sonic's legs aside, I don't mind the new designs. The only thing I can hope for is that the game isn't a broken mess and is fun.

You already got Sonic Adventure 3. It was called Sonic 06. And Adventure 1 is awwwwwwful.

dont you compare that horrible trainwreck of a game to my sonic adventure 1!

06 never happened OKAY GUYS

OKAY

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's weird. I kinda got that "feeling like it isn't a game in the main series" feel, even if they said it was a canonical thing.

this thing is going to sell fuck all. Wii U's fortunes aren't changing this year.
Could probably port it over to other systems. Depends on what they're doing with the game in its entirety, though.

As per usual, they'll release the new Sonic in October or November, when all the AAA juggernauts are released. I predict this year Boom will be out the same week as Smash Bros U ^_^
Sega's like Namco, clearly. Release their game when another juggernaut in the same genre's about to be released.

I think all screenshots that have Ouido written on them are from the cartoon.
Correct.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay so with that in mind I'm not seeing much here that does anything for me, regardless of how Lost World turned out it at least its reveal gave me those Sonic vibes and looked kinda hopeful while this here is like a more standard mascot character 3D adventure game with Sonic on board, open areas, various abilities and all that jazz.
I suppose it's interesting to see a Sonic title outside the hands of Sonic Team and Dimps, it could feasibly be a decent game on its own merits (that being the seemingly different focus). But it also looks like a hodge podge of ideas thrown together like they were running through a kids game check list.

Aside from potentially tickling that itch reminiscent of solid but not remarkable PS2 style action platformers there ain't nothing here for me right now and it certainly isn't what I think of when I think of a Sonic platformer, you could say that it's more of a Sonic Adventure...oh fuck.
You guys know how much I don't love the Sonic Adventure games. :/

Blaze is probably kicking rocks somewhere because I know he said it looked like Sonic Heroes 2 to him. With that said, I'm moreso interested because it's another studio on an engine that seems to be decent? I guess I'm curious about what they can do.

Wow Sega are finally learning how to use Sonic's expressions
will it be two side-mouths in-game or one single mouth in-game? time will tell.

BlackJace

Uh well, it doesn't look truly awful. Like Nocturnowl said, its rather hard to get a definite understanding on exactly what the hell it'll play like.

I'm a firm believer that the TV show and merchandise will help it sell decently.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, at least it's a branch/subseries series despite being canonical?

It's not going replace the regular games. This seems like an SoA joint to me. Edit: With that said, things are always subject to change, and if this proves to be more popular than the regular stuff, well... you know what'll happen.

J@hranimo

Banned
So Knuckles hasn't been chuckling for a while now huh? Dude is so buff it's funny. Show looks alright, game is kinda strange to me but I'll keep an eye on it I guess.

tumblr_n0lbwdOURY1qinqemo1_500.jpg

Wow Sega are finally learning how to use Sonic's expressions

I....might have to make a new avatar out of one of these expressions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With respect to the show:

...an overprotective Sonic fires Tails from sidekick and Eggman applies, Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic for the umpteenth time, the archvillain fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court
Hahaha, I dunno. I kinda like this. Sounds better than the Turtles episodes I have to watch every week with my bro. He'd like this.

Pietepiet

Oh yeah, the show sounds fun. I just hate the designs and the animation is pretty bad.

Also my god, why are they so lanky in the game trailer?

TheOGB

Banned
The thing about Sonic being lankier is that, just like Sonic 06, his head/quills would need to be bigger to balance that, but...

He stopped waxing his arms. Now he's manly as fuck.
If he's manly as fuck then what does that make Knuckles as envisioned by Vince McMahon?

Well, at least it's a branch/subseries series despite being canonical?

It's not going replace the regular games. This seems like an SoA joint to me. Edit: With that said, things are always subject to change, and if this proves to be more popular than the regular stuff, well... you know what'll happen.

With so many variants of different Sonic gameplay these days and now this full on spin off it's almost time for complete Sonic saturation, Sega's master plan.

I think of more excited for the show than the game right now.

Top Bottom