• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

dmc1frontcover.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least 2002 made up for it with GTA3, the most profitable FF ever FFXI and Sonic Adventure 2. Morrowind came out, and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance came out.

Mega Man Zero, son. Sunshine was ok.

In a year... when The Wind Waker (JP) and Metroid Fusion are released, a port decides to overshadow things.

BYhvktF.png

I forgot what SMA even was a port of.

Heropon

I forgot what SMA even was a port of.

When it released I thought it was pretty innovative, then I discovered the truth.

j6bgENf.jpg

I remember not trusting Steam around that time. It's impressive how things have changed.

Other games I appreciate from that year are Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, World of Warcraft and Pikmin 2.

As a reminder, Sonic Heroes was released this year too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is that game actually any good? I just ignored it completely after the god-tier Baldur's Gate 2. BG1 was very boring from what I played tho, and I usually have a stomach for slow-ass clunky cRPGs.
BG2 is basically the gold standard to me.

In terms of its genre, though, Dark Alliance favours more action, and it's more hack-and-slash than the previous games in the series (and that's why it drew some comparisons to Diablo II), and its narrative is more cliched than some would probably like. I don't think the pure RPG format that the first two BGs and expansions would've worked for a console game, so Dark Alliance took a different approach. A lot of the equipment and the game design is generally melee-focused and sometimes it's better to choose attackers over mages, so I feel like one aspect of the game is lost. I also felt like the mages' magic was kind of unbalanced with some oddball spells like ball lightning being more useful than others that should be stronger (but this is moreso because they have different AoEs). In that respect, some spells can be overpowered enough to kill enemies super-easily and make the game feel incredibly unbalanced if you actually went out of the way to do that.

With that said, the game's still pretty fun. It's just not what you'd typically see in traditional Baldur's Gate fare because it's a BG game for consoles with a slightly different genre. It does pay a lot of attention to older Dungeons & Dragons gameplay, and some neat enemies to attack. It was definitely also one of the nicer-looking games of its time of release, too.

If you want to look into it, the PS2 or Xbox versions are the best ones. GCN version has bad framerate. GBA version has a more interactive town and some new sidequests, but my guess is that if you wanted to get the full experience of what Dark Alliance truly was, go with the console versions instead.

Now that I think about it, though, I think DA was the reason why I didn't bother to get into a lot of BioWare's recent stuff.

---

2005 had Minish Cap, Resident Evil 4, KOTOR2, DMC3: DA, Lumines, God of War, Metal Gear Ac!d, Haunting Ground, Kirby Canvas Curse, Killer 7, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Ninja Gaiden Black, Shadow of the Colossus, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Civilization 4, Dragon Quest VIII, etc.

Man, I wish I had a PC that functioned like a tank again. I think 2005 was the last year I kept up.

---

2006: Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, son.

Okay, now I can make a real post:
TETRIS DS, Brain Age (which everyone was getting; all these people who never played video games in their lives got Brain Age around here), MOTHER 3, New Super Mario Bros, Baten Kaitos Origins, Lumines II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Portrait of Ruin, Sora no Kiseki FC's PSP release. :V

I ain't fallin' for that, Phantom.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
2009 called and said:

Dragon Quest V DS version, Empire: Total War, Pokemon Platinum, Braid, Excitebots, Zeno Clash, Little King's Story, Batman Arkham Asylum, Bowser's Inside Story.

50 Cent decided to make a game and it was surprisingly decent.

The DS got a GTA which everyone chuckled at during E3 and that got ported to the PSP.

Sonic decided to don a suit of armour in Sonic and the Black Knight.

Assassin's Creed II was released and ended up setting a chain of events that led to the series kinda being annual, with one of the better characters of the generation... and with one of the more definitive themes of the generation to boot.

Uncharted 2, which everyone says is the game of the generation but I haven't played it yet, was released. This is where I think we first started hearing what "Naughty Gods" were.

Bayonetta became the third pillar in the trinity of character action games next to Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3: SE.

Demon's Souls got localized.

Mario and Sonic team up in a video game?! Oh, they're going to the Olympics. Is it a platformer?! No? Okay... :(

Most important thing I forgot: Angry Birds was released on iOS. There is so many Angry Birds merchandise EVERYWHERE these days.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and DKCR, 2010 was the nuts.

Oh yeah, and that one Sonic game that gave us all hope, it wasn't Sonic 4 though, what a twist that was.
I expected Colours to be the duff game out of those two, it was anything but.

qq more

1999 had Sonic Adventure, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Gold (JP but I played that version before we got the US release), Shenmue and SUPER SMASH BROOOOOOTHERRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS

1999 was a fantastic year, one of the best. So many favorites, Pokemon Snap and Stadium being my favorite Pokemon spinoffs, Pokemon Gold being my favorite mainline, Super Smash Bros for starting the best fighter series and Sonic Adventure that blew my fucking mind and is freaking awesome!

oh 2014

this year sucks, every game will be shit

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys broke the combo. :(

2012: 2012 was the year of the "non-games winning goty" and people were mad or something, I dunno. 2012 kinda sucked anyway.

Journey, The Walking Dead, Virtue's Last Reward, Growlanser IV finally being localized, Nayuta no Kiseki, Botanicula, Dustforce, Kingdom of Amalur, Asura's Wrath, Time Travelers, Sound Shapes, The Last Story, etc.

2013:

The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, The Last of Us, and The Last of Us.

That's all that came out this year.

Metal Gear Rising.

In actual Sonic news: Ian Flynn has started that every SatAM concept and character they can still use will either be referenced or reintroduced by the time the Shadow Fall arc of Universe ends.

qq more

What games are even coming out this year? I forgot.
games with definite release dates:
kirby (out in japan, looks good)
MGSV Ground Zeroes (2 hour 30-40 dollar demo... really konami?)
Danganronpa
Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure (ew no thanks)
Layton's 6th game
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong's Trooper Challenge I mean Tropical Freeze
Bravely Default
Castlevania LoS2 (not hearing good things)

Games said to be out this year with no release date:
PW vs Layton
Smash Bros 4
Watch Doge (wow)

Games might coming out this year but IDK wtf is going on:
Bayonetta 2
X
MGSV (I heard it might get pushed to 2015? I saw a thread title with something like that, couldve been a diff game)

actually this year sounds alright

Freedom Planet's supposed to launch this year. That should be good; the alphas have been fun, after all.

Sonic Boom, aside from blue-arms Sonic, could be good. It'll basically be Sonic in name only, but given the the developers have made fine platformers for Sony in the past, having a platformer that isn't very Sonic-y but is still well-crafted otherwise might be sufficient.

Super Smash Bros. 4 comes out this year. That will probably end up being my GotY in the end. It's certainly the game I have the most hype for.

qq more

Smash Bros 4 better be great, Brawl's pre-release was hype as hell but then the game came out and after the hype wore off... good game with tons of flaws that came across as overly ambitious and awful.

I mean I like Brawl but god they've screwed up so much content I enjoyed in the past games :(

PKrockin

Smash Bros 4 better be great, Brawl's pre-release was hype as hell but then the game came out and after the hype wore off... good game with tons of flaws that came across as overly ambitious and awful.

I mean I like Brawl but god they've screwed up so much content I enjoyed in the past games :(

We were all so hyped by the time of release that were were basically frothing at the mouth. It could do nothing to live up to my expectations. It was still an excellent game.

Ever since Brawl I've tried not to get too wrapped up in analyzing every screenshot and every frame of every trailer that gets released for games I'm excited for. Dangan Ronpa's coming in a few days and I know almost nothing about it, but it's going to be awesome.

I know so far, I'll probably buy:

Strider - Up until Killer Instinct came out, I wasn't optimistic about this at all, especially given Double Helix's track record. KI actually managed to surprise me a lot (And this is coming from someone who was never fond of the series), and moreover, show me what DH can do with a proper budget and time. Only cautiously optimistic at this point, but that's better than dreading it.

Smash Bros. for 3DS - I'll be honest. I have no hype for this game whatsoever. Brawl burned me badly enough that I'm kind of weary of the series at this point. But, the prospect of a portable Smash Bros. is interesting at the very least, and it'll be the version I'll end up getting since I'm probably not getting a Wii U.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMix - Birth by Sleep Final Mix and KHII Final Mix in HD. Sells itself for me, really.

And... that's about it for now, really.

Have Danganronpa pre-ordered and will pre-order South Park: The Stick of Truth because for some reason I thought it was a 360 exclusive when it was multiplatform the whole time. Freedom Planet I keep forgetting about, will get Trails FC and SC and The Witch and the Hundred Knight when they come out.

Have Danganronpa pre-ordered and will pre-order South Park: The Stick of Truth because for some reason I thought it was a 360 exclusive when it was multiplatform the whole time. Freedom Planet I keep forgetting about, will get Trails FC and SC and The Witch and the Hundred Knight when they come out.

...Huh. I thought it was 360 exclusive, too. Maybe because I always associate it with that one Microsoft E3 conference,

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy XV is probably a 2015-2016 game if Nomura doesn't do the whole "I'm a perfectionist" thing, or if SE doesn't do something dumb. Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced far too early for its own good and I don't think we'll be seeing that thing until 2016 and onwards if SE knows what they're even doing.

But hey, 2035 looks like a better timeframe, so why not :V :V :V

Hmm. I guess I'll be getting...

I imported Puyo Puyo Tetris for Vita already and it got shipped last week, so I'll be getting it soon. That game looks hot. Shame that its chances of being localized are in the toilet.

I don't know if I'm going to get ToS Chronicles. I didn't hear much fanfare for it in Japan, and I think the lack of it is somewhat deserved. I keep thinking about Witch and the Hundred Knight, but I dunno yet.

Gonna get Layton and Stick of Truth. Dunno if I'll get that game that Aksys kinda developed. I haven't heard much about it. Child of Light is a definitely. I backed Shovel Knight before. Demon Gaze because I heard lots and lots of good things.

Edit: Shit, I forgot about Strider. That game looks better now. Hope it ends up being decent at release.

I'm getting Lightning Returns against my better judgement, and I'd played 3/4s of it free earlier this year with the PS+ thing and borrowing someone's copy. It's, uh, sloppy. Very sloppy.

TheOGB

Banned
I played the demo for Lightning Returns yesterday and it was... decent? Not bad? I enjoyed the battles, and I still underestimate how much I love messing around with customization stuff, but other than that I was just waking down hallways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played the demo for Lightning Returns yesterday and it was... decent? Not bad? I enjoyed the battles, and I still underestimate how much I love messing around with customization stuff, but other than that I was just waking down hallways.
Noi and I could write a book together demonstrating the problems the game's battle system has and can have. For the most part, it plays like it's on Tales Semi-Auto and it's a combo of that, and a one-person party in Final Fantasy XIII. Some of the battle animations are the same as that game. And since some enemies can be slow, or the framerate falls in-battle, it's easier to predict when you should probably put up a guard, and end up perfect guarding to boot, because it's just that easy.

But what I liked about the game was starting off in the first town with the camera panning over it, thinking the atmosphere and music cues were really good... and then realizing the framerate shockingly poor. Like, the first part of the game featured in the demo runs kind of nicely, but when you get to the first town or the chaos-infested areas, or if your battles have too much going on, the worse framerate can impact your performance.

Wait a minute... I wrote impressions for Lightning Returns last month before I stopped posting for a while in the FF community thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97957247&postcount=8850

My favourite part was going into the Wildlands area, the framerate dropping to 15-20fps, and having to lie down for 15 minutes and taking some medicine because it got me nauseous. :p

I didn't even get to the worst dungeon design I've seen in 5 years before I had to give the JP version back to someone, so I can imagine how I'd feel about that.

CrimsonCrescendo's been ranting about the game to me for the past few days and it's kinda funny hearing English players' impressions now.

There is just so much "WAT!? WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYY????????" with the story, especially with Lightning. I mean, with some mental gymnastics I can kind of accept what went on with XIII-2. There is no amount of rationalization that can happen to justify the shit going on with LR's story. 10 or so hours in and I've honestly just said "Screw it" and put the controller down for the next week or two.

And I was telling Schala about how I nearly fell out of my chair when, in Luxerion, there is the side quest equivalent to Sonic 06's "Race Sonic Man". You race a kid to North Station with the description saying "But with a name like Lightning, surely you can't lose". And the kid is embarrassingly slow. And then there was a side quest where you essentially walk a man across the street for information. A lot of these side quests are there just so they can say "SEE! WE GAVE YOU SIDE QUESTS!" Little to no thought was put into many of these.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember slowly walking behind the kid or staying close to him so I wouldn't lose track of him or where I should go because he ran so obnoxiously slow, lol.

And what do you get for it? 200 gil, +20 HP, +5 or something STR, and Lightning's Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games' Gold Medal.

Is the sidequest still called "Faster than Light" in the English version?

I'm definitely not feeling Gravity Rush or the Vita Uncharted game. I'm still so mad that I missed the FF3 sale, now I might have to dish out $20 for it. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed on iOS will be 99 cents later tonight.

I know it's $1.99 on Android right now.

---

Beef, I didn't care for Gravity Rush that much either. I love the artstyle, the music, and the voice acting, but the combat and some of the controls don't jive well with me at all.

Haven't played Uncharted Vita yet. I heard it's up my alley because it's more puzzle-based.

I remember slowly walking behind the kid or staying close to him so I wouldn't lose track of him or where I should go because he ran so obnoxiously slow, lol.

And what do you get for it? 200 gil, +20 HP, +5 or something STR, and Lightning's Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games' Gold Medal.

Is the sidequest still called "Faster than Light" in the English version?

It's called "Faster than Lightning".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is when Kingdom Hearts 4 will be released, after various spinoff titles.

Kingdom Hearts: Mickey's Bizarre Adventure
Kingdom Hearts: ϕ
Kingdom Hearts: i/52 weeks
Kingdom Hearts: The Canonical Fortune Street Edition
Kingdom Hearts: Rebirth by Siestas
Kingdom Hearts: Cards Against Humanity Western Spinoff Edition

It's called "Faster than Lightning".
It sounds awkward to call her Light in English.

Yet "Raito-san" sounds less awkward. Ehhhhh, w/e.

PKrockin

Beef, I didn't care for Gravity Rush that much either. I love the artstyle, the music, and the voice acting, but the combat and some of the controls don't jive well with me at all.

Same, but I got used to the controls eventually and I was able to look past the flawed combat and enjoy the atmosphere quite a bit.

Gravity Rush doesn't have quite enough material to stretch across its frame, the game starts with a bang with the whole gravity angle being a delight to get to grips with but loses its sheen halfway through when it becomes apparent that there's not much variety to the proceedings especially the combat. Some of the controls are a bit naff as well because fuck gyro, yet getting to grips with Gravity Slide is actually pretty sweet if still fiddly.
But hey that's what sequels are for, I think there's something good in there, it just needs more work.

I attempted to get back into Tales of Xillia earlier today but no dice, it's not bad but it seems to lack that something which engages me and pushes me onwards, after walking into another field area filled with palette swap enemies (seriously, this is like a new record for this level of recycling and i'm not even halfway through) I just can't go on, I'm all Tales'd out.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced far too early for its own good and I don't think we'll be seeing that thing until 2016 and onwards if SE knows what they're even doing.

I actually think KH3 could squeeze into the end of next year, for Japan at least. Unless moving to console/next gen or finally having a number in their title holds them up, the Osaka team have shown themselves to be relatively competent at actually getting games out.

Top Bottom