• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

qq more

Calming down a bit after the shock

um

Tails and Amy looks alright, their designs ain't bad. I don't like what they did to Sonic, he's way too lanky and I don't like what they did to the quills and coloring his arms blue... kind of weird. But that scarf is baller at least! Knuckles... EURGH.... I don't think buffing him like this is going to work, he looks extremely weird proportionally and how is he going to glide with all that? He looks hideous, seriously. Eggman looks alright, something about his face looks off though, not sure what.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SoJ will get jealous and snatch away whatever autonomy SoA has?
That'd be kind of funny, lol.

Depends on how much this is going to make, I guess.

I dunno. I don't hate this idea. Especially if it's not going to replace the regular stuff. And I'm not going to nitpick it either. Main audience is kids, and some of the jokes will resonate well with adults, just like they usually do in some family-oriented programs. I'm not the main target here, and probably won't be anymore.

Wish the show and the game looked better (ie: animations with better environments in the show), but some of the storylines look interesting.

If he's manly as fuck then what does that make Knuckles as envisioned by Vince McMahon?
The next VGCW storyline, obviously.

Eggman looks alright, something about his face looks off though, not sure what.
His eyes.

Sounds like some of the zanier stuff the Sonic X comic got up to. Different, but I could go for it.

Still looks like cheap French CGI, but oh well.
Can't wait for those Sonic musical numbers...
ib0lsmmhNTHl1w.gif

Eggman looks alright, something about his face looks off though, not sure what
The stache!

His STRIATIONS game is on point.

Look at the MASS! anticipate the episode where Knuckles takes part in a bodybuilding contest, seems par the course from the episode rumblings we've heard so far.

BlackJace

The more I think about it, the better this idea seems to be for Sonic as a figure.

The games as of late don't do anything to make the audience interested in the franchise as a whole.

I guess the games aren't at the forefront anymore, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah, I always erase Sonic Underground from my mind whenever someone reminds me of it.
Isn't that one Cranky Kong game coming out this year sometime?

Sounds like something you'd call a cocktail... I dunno. Some owl might know the name of that Cranky Kong game. Somehow I keep forgetting it exists. :V

-----

Everyone seems to be using Bangarang. Especially when I watch sports.

NotLiquid

That means nothing: the concept art expressions Koike drew for the latest Lupin rarely if ever got any usage. Expect boring character acting from everyone in Sonic Boom (maybe not Eggman, I hope).

Perhaps, but I don't think I've ever seen Sega put out Sonic concept like this and I found it kind of fascinating. That and the cartoon looks nifty.

qq more

Calming down a bit after the shock

um

Tails and Amy looks alright, their designs ain't bad. I don't like what they did to Sonic, he's way too lanky and I don't like what they did to the quills and coloring his arms blue... kind of weird. But that scarf is baller at least! Knuckles... EURGH.... I don't think buffing him like this is going to work, he looks extremely weird proportionally and how is he going to glide with all that? He looks hideous, seriously. Eggman looks alright, something about his face looks off though, not sure what.

Forgot to mention they need to get rid of the bandages thats wrapped all over their legs/arms/shoes... ESPECIALLY the shoes, who DOES that? lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You don't understand, Schala. When Skrillex finished that song, he sat back, stared at it, and said to himself, "Someday this will be the trailer music for a blue hedgehog's video game."
He was waiting for that moment ever since 2011. It was the 22nd best song of 2012, so that can't be wrong, right? A blue hedgehog has to be hip and fresh.

Sega of America playing Nelly's Air Force Ones last year at Sonic Boom, notwithstanding.

Teeee heeeeee.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't mind the bandages on the shoes. Maybe his shoes are all beat-up from running.
you know, from a pedagogical perspective, that does seem something like a kid would do. kid's hurt = kid gets bandaid; kid's objects get "hurt" = kid would try to use the same measure.

Anyway, it was nice times today, and I missed you guys and posting here a lot. See you guys in a few weeks.

you know, from a pedagogical perspective, that does seem something like a kid would do. kid's hurt = kid gets bandaid; kid's objects get "hurt" = kid would try to use the same measure.
"Something's wrong with Mom, so I'm taking her apart to fix her!"

(...don't search that if you've not played Ace Attorney 5 yet.)

Regiruler

As true as this is, the biggest culprit to me are his interactions on solid walls. Nothing like fucking something up because you jumped at a wall and got magnetized to it. Maybe a second press of the fast run button would have helped?

This is where the run button comes into play. IIRC, if you're not holding it you won't magnet to the wall.

In non-comment slowpoking news, I actually like the look of the cartoon moreso than the game itself. The game needs some polish on the 4 character models: the enemy models look fine IMO.
additionally, I just found trying to get the angle right for some of the walls rather frustration. I think Silent Forest Act 3 and Lava Mountain Act 3 were also some of the bigger offenders of the Parkour flawed designs, namely the side climb and somehow (while running) winding up CLIMBING UP THE WALL.
It may be mildly frustrating at times, but all in the name of the Rule of Cool.
That parkour section in SF3 was probably one of the fairest "hard" portions of the game, and was incredibly satisfying.

I really don't understand how you people have a gamebreaking issue out of this. The poor information relay and level design I get, but the parkour system should remain relatively untouched.

Spinluck

so-

i don't think the new sonic game looks all that bad.

i wonder what the reception would've been if it wasn't sonic, i have no problem admitting when a sonic game is pure shit or looks like pure shit. i was there for the franchises much darker times, and the comparisons between this newly revealed game and sonic 2006 made me lol. but sonic is a laughing stock to most now, and sega committed enough fuck ups to warrant that- so whateva.

i think the designs are throwing off people more than anything, and the models look really bad in-game. i wonder how many changes they might've went through. the environments look great, and it's in the hands of proven game designers (although as a team they haven't released anything yet- so i guess they're unproven as a team of developers in a sense?). also, if this has co-op then i'm already sold, i like that there may be exploration as well.

i usually dislike cg animated tv shows cause they sometimes look crazy cheap, but this one wasn't too bad. and the designs seem like something kids will pick up on (lol sans knuckles). some of the plots sound legit funny.

my only problem i have with the new look is the really long legs, and the bodybuilderforums rendition of knuckles, they look fine besides that. lol SONIC'S ARMS ARE BLUE WHAAAA? it sucks that rational fans of the series, have to be clumped with the obsessive crazies who will throw a fit over stuff like that.

Rikkun

So... I might be out forever. I don't really dig the design, but most of all the gameplay looks like Jak & Daxter with sparse running sections. I generally hate shuffling through characters like games used to make you do in 1992 just because "one is heavy, one can shoot, one jumps higher" and I guess this is what the game will do.

The team seems to be born from pre-Uncharted2 Naughty Dog, and I used to dislike their output aside from Crash 2, 3 and CTR.

Sooo... it just sucks the last Sonic I could've enjoyed was utter shit. Fuck you Sega, fuck you Nintendo, fuck the WiiU, I hate everybody. Burn my corpse and enjoy your reboot guys.

TheOGB

Banned
Dunno if anybody here wanted these but here they are anyways
7f63IK3.jpg

LTz4igZ.jpg

6blJI9C.jpg

M7itMYt.jpg

Lul whoops, didn't resize them

Edit: Blaze that's amazing

Reading Polygon's Sonic Boom article and there was this...
According to Rafei, Sonic Boom will have a narrative focus and will follow a "wide linear" gameplay approach; it's not a true open-world game, but a series of classic sandbox levels branching out into more levels in a spoke-like system.
Didn't you have a mock up similar to this Blaze?

Razzer

Reading Polygon's Sonic Boom article and there was this...

Didn't you have a mock up similar to this Blaze?

So considering who the developers are, the artstyle, and this statement, I'd say they are trying to make a game in the vein of the first Jak & Daxter. At least with regards to a few design principles. I'm not totally against that honestly.

Yup, though to be honest I was partially inspired by Jak & Daxter and Metroid Prime.

I'd post the mock-up image but I don't keep that stuff terribly well organized.

So considering who the developers are, the artstyle, and this statement, I'd say they are trying to make a game in the vein of the first Jak & Daxter. At least with regards to a few design principles. I'm not totally against that honestly.

We've come full circle from that one image, the Jak & Daxter inspiration seems quite apparent at points.
With the news that Sonic Team will still do whatever the hell it is they're doing (boost gameplay dammit!) I'll lighten up on this game as I'd happily take a pseudo J&D style game in the meantime, seems to have the right pedigree behind it for that.

Yeah the scarf is totally cool, I actually recently wanted to see what Sonic would look like with that thanks to that one cool fanart someone posted.

Meh, it's such a small detail, and it just looks odd.

I like the scarf on the small cartoony Sonic in my avatar, but this Nathan Drake bandana look doesn't fit tall lanky Sonic.

They should just stop making Sonic so damn tall. Jeez.

Top Bottom