• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgZS8iZCAAAVHq4.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]

"And what happened, then? Well, in Smashville they say - that Sonic's small legs grew three sizes that day."

[quote="CoryCubed, post: 100724351"]Why hasn't Sonic Dash added a section like Stardust Speedway and have Metal Sonic as a boss? Then Metal Sonic unlocks as a playable character.[/QUOTE]

The mobile games aren't really in the habit of having cool fanservice, or spending much money on new assets.

Tizoc

I don't care for Bayo 2 but would pick it up if I ever got a Wii U.

Disgaea 4 for Vita? Guess I'd get that buuuuuuuut I tried to get into D3 but for some reason the gameplay didn't click for me =/

Tizoc

ivLntg7EPNqCT.jpg

Redesigns yo.

Dario ff

Banned
I am linking the Tumblr page instead of the Youtube page so you can read just how much of a frustrating piece of shit this new toy has been so far
If you can get some sort of refund, I'd go for this instead.
AVerMedia - C875 Live Gamer Portable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2IZ3B0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At least that one has the software for converting M2TS to MP4 straight from AverMedia. I've worked with the files from this thing and the capture always looks pretty alright. I prefer software capture myself because I record PC games tho (and Shadowplay is awesome for that), but that one should work alright.

Guess Who

Banned
For those 2 of you out there who like to watch other people play Sonic Unleashed, I recorded a new video to test out a new toy

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/76618967046/so-its-become-sort-of-a-thing-where-whenever-i

I am linking the Tumblr page instead of the Youtube page so you can read just how much of a frustrating piece of shit this new toy has been so far

Get an Elgato Game Capture HD. $150, small, supports HDMI and component, records straight to H264 MP4, has actually-not-terrible bundled software that supports Twitch/YouTube/Ustream streaming and live commentary, works on both Windows and OS X if you're into that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I use an Elgato Game Capture HD for streams and some recordings and it's been really good so far for a lower-end thing. Plus you can use it with OBS or XSplit for streaming if you're really into that. I usually use it with OBS these days.

Get an Elgato Game Capture HD. $150, small, supports HDMI and component, records straight to H264 MP4, has actually-not-terrible bundled software that supports Twitch/YouTube/Ustream streaming and live commentary, works on both Windows and OS X if you're into that.

I see it for $180 and the system requirements are higher than I have.

Amazon has it for $150. System requirements aren't that high - 2GHz dual core and 4GB RAM. If your machine is a bit older I can understand, though.

Windows XP SP3 (because of my old capture card)
3.1ghz Core 2 Duo
2gb of RAM
Radeon 5670 HD

$150 for the El Gato, $60 for the RAM, $70 for Windows 7

Even if I returned the Roxio for my $120, that's still $160 before I can even start using the El Gato. It's a miracle I even afforded the Roxio.

Wow, trying to stream with the Roxio Gamecap HD Pro is completely fucking worthless

Their whole streaming interface is branded with Justin.tv logos (even though Twitch split off form Justin.tv more than two years ago, and this hardware was produced last year). There's menus that don't do anything, it froze half a dozen times and eventually froze so hard I had to reboot my system just to get the window to close. Even Roxio's own tech support says to use OBS.

I guess I'll just stick to my 480i Easycap and never upgrade off Windows XP, because fuck this. Fuck everything.

Dario ff

Banned
Wow, trying to stream with the Roxio Gamecap HD Pro is completely fucking worthless

Their whole streaming interface is branded with Justin.tv logos (even though Twitch split off form Justin.tv more than two years ago, and this hardware was produced last year). There's menus that don't do anything, it froze half a dozen times and eventually froze so hard I had to reboot my system just to get the window to close. Even Roxio's own tech support says to use OBS.

I guess I'll just stick to my 480i Easycap and never upgrade off Windows XP, because fuck this. Fuck everything.
The one I said can record on its own without a PC (needs an SD Card), albeit at a lower bitrate. That's why I recommended it in case your PC wasn't enough for it. :V (And it leaves room for upgrading later if needed)

It can't stream on portable mode tho.

The one I said can record on its own without a PC (needs an SD Card), albeit at a lower bitrate. That's why I recommended it in case your PC wasn't enough for it. :V (And it leaves room for upgrading later if needed)

It can't stream on portable mode tho.

Same thing as the one Guess Who recommended; requires Windows 7 and 4gb of RAM. This Roxio was the only thing that let me use my existing setup. $150 for the hardware, $150 to buy upgrades that let me use it. And if I recall, the Live Gamer Pro also requires some form of internal storage, so that's another $100 on top of that.

I might as well just give up.

Same thing as the one Guess Who recommended; requires Windows 7 and 4gb of RAM. This Roxio was the only thing that let me use my existing setup. $150 for the hardware, $150 to buy upgrades that let me use it. And if I recall, the Live Gamer Pro also requires some form of internal storage, so that's another $100 on top of that.

I might as well just give up.

"Boss? It's time for some business expenses."

Been replaying Sonic Generations. It's better than I remember, but the last couple of levels are still a little rough around the edges. Planet Wisp is especially poorly put together.

I just love collecting the music though.

Is this Sonic Underground? I don't recognize it from SatAM. Or something a fan drew?

You are not the first person to suggest this, actually. But it wouldn't feel right; at least, not right now. More than half the cost of the Wii U sitting on my desk right now was a business expense.

I'm going to be honest, that's really cheap, as far as business expenses go. Considering how much you do for the site, a copy of Windows 7 (Pro Edition if you can, it includes "XP Mode" for better compatibility with old software), a couple of gigs of memory, and a different capture solution (one you can partially use your return credit on) in order to improve the quality of site content, is not out of the question.

Definitely get your money back on the capture card, if it's working so badly for you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely looks like Underground, yup.

Yeah, Blaze, I'd definitely think of returning and getting a refund on that capture card upon reading a lot of the issues you're having with it. That sucks. :/ You are doing this for the site anyway, so I think it'd be worth it in the end.

...also you guys this twitch plays pokemon thing is something else

Been playing Danganronpa while watching it and it's so damn mesmerizing.

I only just beat the second chapter of Danganronpa because I'm playing it in short bursts. I've already got Ys: Celceta, BioShock Infinite, Metro Last Light, and Inazuma Eleven on the table.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I'll wait to save up for the the 3DS version of Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 instead. I don't like that they're releasing the game's piecemeal when there's a version of the game with all three installments on a physical cart already.

How many of you are getting Strider this week? I was thinking of importing the Japanese PS3 version, but I decided against it since the digital PS4 version is cheaper.

Well, I'm almost finished Danganronpa. I'd never gone for the bad ending in the PSP version before, but now I'm glad I did in the Vita version, lol. I didn't know they'd give you the choices again right after.

why are you making kissy faces to everyone in this thread

That gif accurately sums up Sonic Underground, too.
Pretty much. :V

Anth0ny

i want a vita

and dangan ronpa

i know what i should ask for my birthday owo o3o

Stupid question:

Does Vita have any great exclusives? I honestly can't even think of one. I'm waiting for one game to really blow me away, then I'm pulling the trigger on it... or waiting til it's discontinued later this year and being sold for $59. Whatever comes first.

The only games that I'm even remotely interested in are:

-Tearaway
-Gravity Rush
-Soul Sacrifice

The library just seems so weak to me.

Stupid question:

Does Vita have any great exclusives? I honestly can't even think of one. I'm waiting for one game to really blow me away, then I'm pulling the trigger on it... or waiting til it's discontinued later this year and being sold for $59. Whatever comes first.

-Tearaway
-Gravity Rush
-Soul Sacrifice

Persona 4

Jesus fuck, we really are mirrored versions of each other.

Noi

Stupid question:

-Tearaway
-Gravity Rush
-Soul Sacrifice

You need to do a bit of digging and stepping out of your boundaries, but there's some stuff there. Besides the ones you mentioned:

-Danganronpa
-DJMax Technika Tune
-Dokuro
-Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable
-LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
-Malicious Rebirth
-Muramasa Rebirth + DLC
-New Little King's Story
-Persona 4 Golden
-Velocity Ultra
-Ys: Memories of Celceta

Multiplats:
-Dragon's Crown
-Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
-Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken (Vita version is actually updated and has new/better stuff + Online play)
-Sound Shapes

Stuff I haven't played but I've heard is p good:
-Killzone Mercenary
-Toukiden
-TxK
-Cytus Lambda
-All the Atelier Vita ports

Also every single digital PSP game that's improved by having a second analog stick that you can map any action to.

AniHawk

Stupid question:

-Tearaway
-Gravity Rush
-Soul Sacrifice

i haven't played soul sacrifice or gravity rush, but tearaway is super great. i highly recommend it.

outside of those, i played ys memories of celceta and really liked it. action-rpg with a lighthearted story and heavy emphasis on exploration. i just finished danganronpa, which scratched the zero escape itch (although it was a lot easier than zero escape).

danganronpa 2's out this year, and there are other games that are supposed to be pretty cool like txk and olliolli

if you never owned a psp either, there's a lot in the backlog. i'll be catching up on that, personally.

the vita is pretty much the sony console i wanted. weird, different japanese games and experimental western stuff. it reminds me of the ps2 in good ways. the games aren't bloated focus-tested affairs like ps3 and ps4 titles, at least from what i've played.

How many of you are getting Strider this week? I was thinking of importing the Japanese PS3 version, but I decided against it since the digital PS4 version is cheaper.

Ordered JP PS3 version. Really pleasantly surprised at how it's looking so far, especially since I was lukewarm towards it following it's reveal. Getting the PS1 versions of Strider 1 & 2 is a pretty great bonus, too. Can't wait to play those on my PSP.

I'm getting the PC version. At the very least, it controls like Strider 2, which more than I say for any other video game that came out in the past 14 years.
sup moondiver

And of course, Nocturnowl and I(and maybe Anihawk if he stop being a lame) will be getting dat glorious Tropical Freeze on Friday.

Right now, I've been playing a lot of Titanfall beta. What can I say man, the game is fun. And its very accessible, what with the autopistols and the bots and the 'EVERYONE GETS A GIANT ROBOT!" /oprah design and the really easy-but-awesome mobility. I'm already addicted with only two maps.

I'm going to be honest, that's really cheap, as far as business expenses go. Considering how much you do for the site, a copy of Windows 7 (Pro Edition if you can, it includes "XP Mode" for better compatibility with old software), a couple of gigs of memory, and a different capture solution (one you can partially use your return credit on) in order to improve the quality of site content, is not out of the question.

I'm not privy to the figure we get from Adsense, but I know how much I get paid and how often I get paid and I don't think "more than half the price of a Wii U" is really cheap as far as business expenses go. $325 to upgrade my capture setup is even higher than that.

Especially given like... something I saw get passed around a lot was this Breaking Madden Superbowl article, where a writer for a (fairly large!) sports website hacks Madden 25 and does funny, stupid things. He occasionally includes videos with his articles, which were clearly recorded with a cheapo 480i capture setup not entirely unlike my Easycap.

And that's a Vox Media subsidiary, the guys who own Polygon, The Verge, etc. That's a huge media network where it actually makes sense to expense something like a video capture setup for an article that pulls in tens of thousands of views. When I see stuff like that, I just go "Man I probably don't actually need HD video capture." If I make content worth watching, things should just end up paying for themselves, right?

Definitely get your money back on the capture card, if it's working so badly for you.

Yeah, Blaze, I'd definitely think of returning and getting a refund on that capture card upon reading a lot of the issues you're having with it. That sucks. :/ You are doing this for the site anyway, so I think it'd be worth it in the end.

The problem is I don't want to return it. It's $120 back in my pocket, but I'm tempted to just keep it and fight with it. It's kind of my only option right now if I want to capture in HD.

I'll keep playing with it. If I can track down the circumstances in which the M2TS files it produces go from "FFMPEG converts them just fine" to "FFMPEG craps its pants", it might be worth it to take the hit for now. :/

Anth0ny

Thanks for the Vita suggestions, duders. I'll definitely keep them in mind.
when vita is pulled from shelves this year and games are $10, console is $60

Also, isn't Persona 4 on PS2? What's the difference between PS2/Vita versions? I hear about that game a lot, especially from Giant Bomb... I've never played a Persona game. Or a SMT game.
Or a Final Fantasy game to completion. I really need to play more RPGs

I'm getting the PC version. At the very least, it controls like Strider 2, which more than I say for any other video game that came out in the past 14 years.
sup moondiver

And of course, Nocturnowl and I(and maybe Anihawk if he stop being a lame) will be getting dat glorious Tropical Freeze on Friday.

Right now, I've been playing a lot of Titanfall beta. What can I say man, the game is fun. And its very accessible, what with the autopistols and the bots and the 'EVERYONE GETS A GIANT ROBOT!" /oprah design and the really easy-but-awesome mobility. I'm already addicted with only two maps.

Is titanfall good

like really be honest here

Like $60 good?

Also hyped for DKC this week. Trying to finish Wonderful 101 before Friday. God this game is good, and David Wise feat. fucking Donkey Kong later this week is going to be sweet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ain't gettin' Donkey Kong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, isn't Persona 4 on PS2? What's the difference between PS2/Vita versions? I hear about that game a lot, especially from Giant Bomb... I've never played a Persona game. Or a SMT game.
Or a Final Fantasy game to completion. I really need to play more RPGs
Persona 4 is actually a decent SMT starter despite being a spinoff. It's more story-based, and it lets players have an easier time with fusion by easing them into it rather than pushing you into it like older SMT games did. That's why SMT4 was fun for me: I'd played the older SMT games and that game felt like a return to form.

Vita version has a bunch of extra scenarios, extra characters, new social links, less load times, higher/lower difficulty settings, some new endings, some new songs, you can actually explore the town after dark instead of just staying at home, new voices, useable costumes during battle, a few more months to do social links and new events, quiz feature, and a few more media features. It also has a few more personas. You can also choose which abilities to pass on to fused Personas instead of doing the stupid roulette each time. There are a few other "minigames" and new areas that are unlocked because you can do more stuff at night, and they wanted to make Inaba seem more communal. Character skills were also rebalanced to make them more/less useful.

With that said, I think part of me prefers some things in the PS2 version--particularly some of the readings and voicework. I also felt like one of the new characters and some of the new events weren't needed.

i'll play tf. i need to get through the very first suikoden first though.
\o/

I don't like recommending that game to a lot of people anymore because they tend to think it's dated. But for a 1995 game, it's actually pretty good. It's very fast, and its narrative isn't that bad. The villain's more of a grey area kind of deal and it's a good way of introducing the world's geography to the player.

the vita is pretty much the sony console i wanted. weird, different japanese games and experimental western stuff. it reminds me of the ps2 in good ways. the games aren't bloated focus-tested affairs like ps3 and ps4 titles, at least from what i've played.
I kinda feel that way too. I actually really love my Vita, but I think it's partially a consequence of leaning towards playing more portable systems last gen and this gen (because last gen, I was commuting to/from school for 2-4 hours each day so what else was I gonna do).

I'm a pretty bad person to ask what kind of exclusives there are for Vita because a lot of the games I own for it are imports, but at the same time, I've acknowledged that there were a lot more RPGs localized for the system that I wanted to play or had some interest in than there are localized RPGs for the 3DS (which, in turn, led me to importing a Japanese 3DS which is incredibly obnoxious). There are a lot of VNs that I've recently imported on Vita, too (one of which is coming out here). In general, I do feel like a lot of the niche games I liked on the PSP and DS are moreso on the Vita this time in a localized fashion. It's really weird, because it was equally distributed across both PSP and DS last gen, and a lot of the niche stuff happens to be on Vita (NISA/Aksys stuff) while some of the bigger hitter yet niche stuff is on 3DS (Atlus stuff, for the most part).

A lot of the games Noi listed are decent games that either a) are exclusive to the platform (LittleBigPlanet Vita, Tearaway, Ys Celceta, Uncharted Vita, Silent Hill Book of Memories), b) are the only methods of getting a localized version of the game that you're freely able to play in NA (DJ Max Technika Tune being a portable repurpose of the Arcade version in Asia, Danganronpa being the only version available in NA), c) improvements on the original game (Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Innocence R, Steins;Gate, Hakuoki, Muramasa, Zero no Kiseki Evolution), or d) a portable version of a crossplatform game (Sen no Kiseki, Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, Guacamelee, Dustforce, Disgaea 3), etc. In the case of (d), there are a lot of times I'd rather opt to play the portable version of the game as opposed to the console version because I'm out and about anyway.

For the most part, I felt like the Vita version of Dokuro was the better version of the Vita/Android/iOS versions of the game.

AniHawk

yeah i sorta got peer pressured into suikoden by a coworker, so i'll be giving it a shot. i've never -not- wanted to play it. i've always heard it was good. i just never got around to it because rpgs are looooong and i had caught up on all the big stuff in my teenage years when i still had time for that sort of thing.

Noi

I still need to play the copy of Suikoden 2 I miraculously borrowed off a friend locally. Things keep distracting me tho, whether it's FFXIV or some other new release.

Now if only it was available digitally for me to play with to-go on a handheld. :mad:

qq more

Stupid question:

-Tearaway
-Gravity Rush
-Soul Sacrifice

Hard to say because since I never dug much into the Vita's library since I don't really have one. I'm pretty much getting it for DanganRonpa and maybe Persona 4. My youngest brother recommended me Tearaway so I'll check that one out too.

Vita is probably more of a platform for niche games, so that may be why some people have trouble finding games they want to play on that.

BlackJace

People keep saying that the Vita has tons of games, but I find that the vast majority are things found elsewhere, some cheaper.

I feel like I've gotten most of my money's worth, though. Persona 4 Golden 's still like the best thing on it lol.

Tizoc

Eh I like the Vita as a hardware, its screen is fantastic and the games that are available to it are to my liking.

It's a great portable jRPG machine on the one hand.

Top Bottom