• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

I have a dreamcast version of marvel i can't play.

Enjoy your sonic adventure, I much prefer 2.

Been playing though the advanced games again. I really like sonic advanced 3 and sonic battle. Why don't we have a new version of battle

FSLink

Banned
The Vita's biggest disadvantage is really the expensive memory cards. There's enough exclusives right now if you like JRPGs or more niche games, and having the PS1 and PSP libraries that are available on PSN is nice. It's also a good companion device if you got a PS3 and/or PS4.

The space thing is pretty annoying, and if you own a PSP the retro stuff is moot. For better or worse it reminds me of the Dreamcast library. Hopefully it gets a better library and more exclusives (and memory card price drops) announced soon because it's a solid device.

I miss my Dreamcast. ;_; I think it was donated due to a house foreclosure and my parents needed to get rid of stuff.

TheOGB

Banned
It took me a long time to realize I didn't know who he was referring to in most of those, and even longer to realize that that's Evan Stanley's tumblr.

There are few games I have more nostalgia for than Adventure 1 and 2. I grew up playing and loving the originals, but without doubt I have put more hours into those two games than any other games in the franchise. I must have put in at least 150 hours in the chao gardens, getting the emblems, etc. I 100% the games on both dreamcast and gamecube.

Anyone ever visit the Sonic Adventure 2 BBS back in the day? So many hours wasted on there.

Ended up finishing BioShock Infinite today. Perfect example of why you'll never see me boarding the hype train. Starts off fine, but damn does it end up getting monotonous in the final third.

Nvzman

Sonic Adventure (in my opinion) was an okay game that suffered from aging.
Sonic Adventure 2 I hated. After playing and liking the first one I couldn't wait to play this one. When I finally got it and plowed through the game I noticed the only part of the game that wasn't boring/annoying was Sonic's stages (even Shadow's levels I thought had piss poor level design).

I actually think SA2 is worse than almost any 3D Sonic game out there.

This is how I would rank the 3D games, for perspective

Generations>Colors>Adventure>Unleashed>Heroes>Secret Rings>Shadow>Black Knight>SA2>06

RobbieNick

Sonic Adventure (in my opinion) was an okay game that suffered from aging.
Sonic Adventure 2 I hated. After playing and liking the first one I couldn't wait to play this one. When I finally got it and plowed through the game I noticed the only part of the game that wasn't boring/annoying was Sonic's stages (even Shadow's levels I thought had piss poor level design).

I actually think SA2 is worse than almost any 3D Sonic game out there.

This is how I would rank the 3D games, for perspective

Generations>Colors>Adventure>Unleashed>Heroes>Secret Rings>Shadow>Black Knight>SA2>06

I was starting to think I was the only one who though SA2 was HORRIBLY overrated.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How's that new Strider? I hear the subtitles are crap.

I'm busy playing Lightning Returns and SonicGAF is trying to stage an intervention for me:

xgcfjpr88joc.png

Game's basically zzzzzzzzz so far because a) the battle system is really procedural and zzzz, and b) I played a fraction of it in Japanese before anyway. But man, I'm bored half the time!

What SonicGAF interventionists don't know is that I've been playing Ocarina of Time 3DS Master Quest and platinuming Danganronpa on the side. :v

BHZ Mayor

What order did people complete Super Mario Land 2? I always did Tree, Mario, Turtle, Macro, Pumpkin, then Space. The "official" order usually has Space Zone second, but being raised on Sonic, I always felt like it should be last, even moreso once I learned that it was a rematch with the boss from the first game.

What order did people complete Super Mario Land 2? I always did Tree, Mario, Turtle, Macro, Pumpkin, then Space. The "official" order usually has Space Zone second, but being raised on Sonic, I always felt like it should be last, even moreso once I learned that it was a rematch with the boss from the first game.

Never really had a set order but I do tend to get Tree out of the way first as well as try to leave either Macro or Mario until last as they're my favourite of the zones.

Just bought the Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare bundle and Bully off the Rockstar PS+ sale. Stupid publishers with their game sales, why do they hate me but not my wallet so much?

Noi

I looked at the achievements and decided the exact opposite, "there goes my will to potentially platinum".
Great game though.

Wyzat? If you mean the "do x for the whole game" trophies, that's actually a typo. You only need to do that for one trial.

I got the plat last night, p. Easy.

CassSept

Hey guys, I'm currently playing through Mega Drive/Genesis Sonics and I've got a question regarding Sonic & Knuckles as I'm kinda confused.

So I've got through Sonic 3. Cool. Now I'm starting the S&K Knuckles, as the game immediately progressed into Mushroom Hill Zone. I'm playing as Sonic, for reference.

However I've read somewhere that Sonic & Knuckles is a completely separate quest, is that right?

So if I got through S3&K I still would have not played all of classic Sonics and I still would have another game that I can access only through S&K, but not frmo S3&K?

This may be a stupid question but honestly I've been trying to find a definite answer on the Internet and I'm still confused. Would be glad if someone answered this once and for all for me :)

If I understand the above correctly, no you aren't missing anything by doing Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked on, S&K by itself has nothing extra.

Wyzat? If you mean the "do x for the whole game" trophies, that's actually a typo. You only need to do that for one trial.

I got the plat last night, p. Easy.
Oh, Well you can't blame me for being fooled by typos.

BHZ Mayor

Hey guys, I'm currently playing through Mega Drive/Genesis Sonics and I've got a question regarding Sonic & Knuckles as I'm kinda confused.

So I've got through Sonic 3. Cool. Now I'm starting the S&K Knuckles, as the game immediately progressed into Mushroom Hill Zone. I'm playing as Sonic, for reference.

However I've read somewhere that Sonic & Knuckles is a completely separate quest, is that right?

So if I got through S3&K I still would have not played all of classic Sonics and I still would have another game that I can access only through S&K, but not frmo S3&K?

This may be a stupid question but honestly I've been trying to find a definite answer on the Internet and I'm still confused. Would be glad if someone answered this once and for all for me :)

Sonic and Knuckles is literally just the rest of Sonic 3. There are no exclusive levels or content to S&K alone. You'd actually miss more if you were to play Sonic 3 and S&K separately.

S&K by itself only has its custom title screen and a short little intro for Knuckles in Mushroom Hill Zone that's omitted in S3&K. Otherwise, S3&K has everything S&K, but with everything that was in Sonic 3 on top of it.

BHZ Mayor

TIL, you can do this. That's probably obvious to some people, but I always took extra care not to mess up getting across the water because the block section is a lot less forgiving with the water already up.

BHZ Mayor

I remember discovering this one on my own years back when the game first came out. Probably well-known by now, though I've never seen anyone else ever mention it. Probably just rarely talked about because it's so obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahCZf4zkPc#t=00m45s

I actually knew about that one and did it all the time. Tbh I don't even remember what the normal path is like other than the monkey bar section.

On the subject of Wing Fortress, I remember one time I was at the cutscene heading to Death Egg, but time ran out. When it reloaded, it glitched out and the background was still outer space. It only happened once (because I never ran out of time at that part again), and I don't remember the exact details because this was over 20 years ago. Has anyone else ever come across this?

EDIT: Found a video of it.

After replaying Generations this week, I just really want a sequel. It would be so easy, just pick different levels from each of the games and, for cheekyness, have Tails playable and following behind Sonic in every level.

Komo

Banned
Lately I FINALLY had the chance to play Sonic Adventure, after a bunch of annoying mishaps, such as the Dreamcast copy of the game I bought not working and the PC release being dreadful. Even now that I'm able to play it, there are certain performance issues (Gamecube port) ... Nonetheless, it's alright. Just. Alright ... Okay, it's aged really poorly.

Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't seem to have aged as badly though, if you ask me.

so tropical freeze is pretty decent

It's funny, but I just can't muster up any day one interest in it. It looks like it's probably really good and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I actually play it but I just don't care right now and I'm not really sure why.

It's not even a "durr Retro should be making more Metroid" thing or whatever (the idea that a second DK game is rehashing but they should go back to the Metroid well for a fourth time that some people put forward is pretty funny), I just... I dunno.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm almost done Lightning Returns I think. I extended the game to the 13th day and I need to extend it to the 14th day. Which means I'll be doing sidequests for hours!

...the pacing and structure in this game are super-dumb! :D I've only been at it for 18 hours.

[insert "are you guys sure that new donkey kong game is good" question here]

i just got my copy. excited to play a waggleless retro dkc.

with david wise

oh my god
Better write your thoughts about it down somewhere cuz I'm interested in what you have to think about it.

I still have that copy of DKC3 to finish off.
KuGsj.gif

I used a homebrew Ocarina code (think Gameshark) to play the original DKCR with waggleless rolling and I still didn't like it

Me and ShockingAlberto got in to a bit of a debate on Twitter about it recently but I feel like DKCR and NSMB have objectively worse controls because they make their characters noticeably "heavier" to control. Takes longer to get moving, and longer to slow down, making it really hard to course-correct. The problem is exacerbated in DKCR, because when you roll, you move REALLY fast, so it's EXTREMELY easy to roll right in to something that kills you.

I wonder if I should request DKCRTF for review. I've wanted to talk about the control issue for a long, long time.

PKrockin

I used a homebrew Ocarina code (think Gameshark) to play the original DKCR with waggleless rolling and I still didn't like it

Me and ShockingAlberto got in to a bit of a debate on Twitter about it recently but I feel like DKCR and NSMB have objectively worse controls because they make their characters noticeably "heavier" to control. Takes longer to get moving, and longer to slow down, making it really hard to course-correct. The problem is exacerbated in DKCR, because when you roll, you move REALLY fast, so it's EXTREMELY easy to roll right in to something that kills you.

I wonder if I should request DKCRTF for review. I've wanted to talk about the control issue for a long, long time.

Having more momentum is objectively worse?

Having more momentum is objectively worse?

I think so, yes. It is more difficult to control.

I consider that Super Mario World is probably the pinnacle of 2D platformer movement. It is tight and responsive.

By giving these characters more momentum, they are deliberately making the controls more loose and difficult to get a handle on. Why shouldn't that be seen as objectively worse? Especially in the context of being able to directly compare to previous games in the franchise.

CassSept

Sonic and Knuckles is literally just the rest of Sonic 3. There are no exclusive levels or content to S&K alone. You'd actually miss more if you were to play Sonic 3 and S&K separately.

S&K by itself only has its custom title screen and a short little intro for Knuckles in Mushroom Hill Zone that's omitted in S3&K. Otherwise, S3&K has everything S&K, but with everything that was in Sonic 3 on top of it.

Thanks guys, really appreciated :) I found conflicted info on some of the sites so that's really helpful.

Honestly though, are there many people who consider Sonic 2 better than 3? Because thus far I'm actually leaning more towards Sonic 2 being superior...

FSLink

Banned
Probably gonna use a Super Famicom controller once I get DKC:TF like I did with Returns with homebrew + Ocarina codes. I'll pick it up once I'm done with some of my backlog. Puyo Puyo x Tetris is super fun.

Honestly though, are there many people who consider Sonic 2 better than 3? Because thus far I'm actually leaning more towards Sonic 2 being superior...

There's some, I actually prefer Sonic 2 myself.

Top Bottom