• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

TimmiT

KCPAi77.png

What am I doing with my Sunday afternoon.

Making magic.

iavi

Hez needs to finish Classic 2

Because:
sonails.png

edit: also
modern.png

Those are amazing.

That can be controlled with a setting on the light when rendering out the shadowmap actually.
Here is an earlier test with a higher size multiplier, which I thought was too blurry.
lgacrv.png

The work you guys are putting into Generations has been incredible. I never thought the modding scene for this game would become as dope as it has. Those shadows look amazing. I prefer the blurrier ones.

Having a legitimately emotional moment set to a Sonic song at 6 in the morning is a strange experience.

To that track? I bet.

----

Anything ever come of the Generations speed-runs?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had said that folks can start, but... I actually have a spreadsheet for it now, so I guess the starting date is somewhat 'official' now! Once I get OKs from everyone, we'll start then and it'll go on for 7 days. If people think that's too short I will extend it to two weeks.

Quote for spreadsheet:

I had also asked whether or not there were some folks who wanted to do it competitively and they can get a game on Steam if they beat everyone out.

I'd also like to know which platforms people are using for this, since someone pointed out that it would be a good idea.

iavi

I'll be playing on the PC.

My Steam username is iavi, if you're playing on the PC add me to the friendslist so we can compare times with a little more immediacy using the the in-game leaderboards.

For the same reason, I'll add anyone I see list their Steam name on here.

---

I'm down to make it a little more competitive by throwing a game in the mix. Is there a pot that we're putting some money in for this?

PS3 for me.

What's yo PSN ID

Tizoc

While I liked Xillia and Grace's gameplay, Tales series so far haven't rocketed up to being among my fav. RPG series like the Ys games for example.
Will still give Symphonia a whirl if only because it has ACTUAL FREAKIN' DUNGEONS, despite the mixed opinion on the combat. Though I like simplistic combat like Xillia's I think I'll be fine with Symphonia. I take it I should skip the 2nd game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I edited the spreadsheet to take into account everyone who's said they'd participate so far. I also added TheOGB's scores.

I promise that the one for Sonic Unleashed will be more organized than this since this is the first time we're doing such a thing. This is more of an avenue to get feedback with respect to what you guys like about it, who will participate, etc.

I'm down to make it a little more competitive by throwing a game in the mix. Is there a pot that we're putting some money in for this?
I'll pay for it, don't worry about it. Since I'm moreso doing it for fun, it's more fair this way. Unless people don't think it's fair and we can set up a PayPal account for it.

I take it I should skip the 2nd game?
No, I think the second game is perfectly fine. It's unbalanced, but the creature growth mechanic has more depth to it than people give it credit for. It's just that the main character sucks ass, and the other character is a walking stereotype. Oh and all the Symphonia dudes got recast, but who cares. That's all. Battle system feels a lot like the colour connecting that Chrono Cross did sometimes. But it's just really easy to handle.

FSLink

Banned
I'd join the speedrunning but my PC sucks ass for Generations at the moment and I don't have it for 360 or PS3. :p

Tempting to pick up ToS Chronicles on the PS+ sale just so I can keep the CE in the box.
Other than that, will probably pick up Atelier Totori+ and Muramasa for Vita.

The 2nd game was enjoyable for me plot-wise outside of the intro. It helps that I played Phantasia too since it makes some nods towards that. Even without Emil, it has some awful pacing and probably the worst pacing in the series.

Tizoc

^Grab Ys too! Man if Ys 1+2 goes on sale as well I'll grab it as a matter of principle.
Now I just need FF6 to go on sale and I'd have my FF Collection on my Vita (don't want 7 or 8 unless my brother wants it)

FSLink

Banned
Haven't actually ever played any of the Ys games, so I was thinking about it. Is it fine for newcomers? I notice Chrono Cross is $3.49 with Plus also...might pick that up too so I'll have it on my Vita.

Tizoc

Haven't actually ever played any of the Ys games, so I was thinking about it. Is it fine for newcomers? I notice Chrono Cross is $3.49 with Plus also...might pick that up too so I'll have it on my Vita.

I think it should, but I'm holding playing it myself as I want to finish up Ys 1 on Steam first.

PKrockin

No, I think the second game is perfectly fine. It's unbalanced, but the creature growth mechanic has more depth to it than people give it credit for. It's just that the main character sucks ass, and the other character is a walking stereotype. Oh and all the Symphonia dudes got recast, but who cares. That's all. Battle system feels a lot like the colour connecting that Chrono Cross did sometimes. But it's just really easy to handle.
I had a lot more problems with it. The Unison Gauge mechanic is ruined, sound effects are crap, character progression is worse, the hitboxes somehow got screwed up, all of the new characters except Richter are incredibly annoying and almost all one-dimensional, some of the plot points drove me up the wall
Decus's diguise holy shit
, in fact Decus and Alice in general make me want to kill myself, and with the monster raising balance so fucked I don't know why you would want to explore all the depth to it.

The skits and music are good though. And I guess it has Free Run if you can't live without that. Although enemy magic has been a laughable non-threat ever since it was introduced.

I hear Ys 1 & 2 is pretty old school but I've played Seven and Oath in Felghana and both are fine to jump into.

Tizoc

Far as the Ys series goes this is the recommended playing order IMO:
1- Oath in Felghana
2- Ys Seven or Ys VI: Ark of the Naphistim
3- Ys Seven or Celceta
4- Ys Origins

Ys 1 and 2's gameplay system may not appeal to everyone especially since it'll appear unorthodox and old school, but still give them a play if you ever get the chance.

iavi

I have generations on PC and PS3, not sure which one I'll use for the speedrun.

PC version is effin gorgeous, btw.

You know the answer to this one in your heart.

Add me on Steam: Iavi. Let's be friends.

----

Schala, let's not do a game prize. The idea of a friendly comp seems to be resonating a lot better in here, and I don't see why you should spring for it solo.

Ugh, going from Unleashed to Generations isn't helping me with this contest in the slightest. Why did they make the action for using the quick-step in Generations the left analog stick instead of just leaving it a the shoulder buttons like in Unleashed?

Dario ff

Banned
Ugh, going from Unleashed to Generations isn't helping me with this contest in the slightest. Why did they make the action for using the quick-step in Generations the left analog stick instead of just leaving it a the shoulder buttons like in Unleashed?
Huh? Quickstep is LB/RB in Generations. It's just the rail swapping that got changed to being the left stick.

Also, I forgot to ask if we're using skills or not in Generations. (Assuming no skills if you want to use the online rankings instead)

TheOGB

Banned
Huh? Quickstep is LB/RB in Generations. It's just the rail swapping that got changed to being the left stick.

Also, I forgot to ask if we're using skills or not in Generations. (Assuming no skills if you want to use the online rankings instead)
Wait, yeah, this is kind of important. I just realized I did those runs with skills.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Going to extend the speedrun thing to May 10th at this rate, then. Two weeks seems to be enough. I'll keep that in mind for when we do Unleashed.

For Unleashed, I'm thinking that regular Sonic/Werehog upgrades are allowed. I don't think a lot of people would have a blank Unleashed save at this point. PS360 versions as well, unless people want the Wii/PS2 version included. I have both versions, but I'm not sure if other people do.

I will make a separate category for runs with skills, then. If some people are more comfortable with skills, I see no need to penalize them for that.

For the most part, no. No skills.

I can readily amend the rules to include skills if people really want to use skills.

OMG Aero

I will make a separate category for runs with skills, then. If some people are more comfortable with skills, I see no need to penalize them for that.

For the most part, no. No skills.

I can readily amend the rules to include skills if people really want to use skills.
There should be two categories.
The boring no fun category and the skateboard only category.

Top Bottom