• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

PS: Kirby's fuckin' awesome. It's soooo goooooooooooood/cuuuuuuuuuuuute. I really wished that Kirby Fighters had online, though. The music's really good, too. I'm enjoying it a lot. I do wish some powerups haven't been rendered redundant, though. I think Return to Dream Land had better use of them. But man I love it. It's so delightfully Kirby.
I thought RTD was pretty great and the best example of traditional Kirby gameplay so I'm intrigued to see how this measures up seeing as it looks to play very similarly.
On the other hand this means I'm not that eager to jump in seeing as I've had plenty of Kirby in the last few years, though I'll probably crack by the time the EU release rolls around.
Music was a bit lacklustre in RTD so hopefully it's better this time around.

Maybe I'll post some thoughts on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze since I beat it earlier today. It was... a good game. With a good soundtrack. >.>
vWE1h7i.gif

I've got like a thoughts vault going on here, write ups for Tropical Freeze, Layton/Wright and a potential RttP for Wind Waker HD that I've never got around to posting, it's like once I actually unload the thought torrent into writing I don't feel like actually posting them with a different reason/excuse each time.

I got Mario Golf instead of Kirby. Pretty good.
When I'm not forced to use my mii abomination sure, it's pretty neat.

In all my history with Mario Golf I've yet to achieve an Albatross, my mission is to finally check this off the list.

Currently replaying Mario and Luigi 4 on 3DS, and god is the music in this game superb.
Those stretched 40 plus hours just weren't enough eh? I cannot knock that Dream World Battle theme though.

Tizoc

Those stretched 40 plus hours just weren't enough eh? I cannot knock that Dream World Battle theme though.

I forgot what the ending of the game was which is part of why I'm replaying it. ...but man having to mash the A button to skip unskipp-able tutorials...really Nintendo, enough of this shit.

That reminds me that I still don't have LoZ: A link between worlds, ugh I need to add that to my backlog3DS collection @_@

Falk

that puzzling face
Just waiting for that one shithead to show up M-speeding everything and basically ruining it for everyone else.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a physics bug where you can 1) propel Sonic sequentially faster than the 'max' speed cap 2) maintain that speed without boosting.

It's fucking retarded and only circlejerking mouthbreathers pretty much do it in a competitive/scoreboard context. The same ones who would argue that if there was a bug where you had to play the game with Sonic looking like a complete retarded shitwick (QSS in unleashed) or with weights hanging off your testicles IRL to gain a speed boost, it's completely legit as far as speedruns go.

TheOGB

Banned
There's a decent video here showcasing the differences between M-speed and D-speed/superspeed for those who are new to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lipxYpa0lc

This video for D-speed/superspeed and M-speed in Generations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjtPvVvA-D4

Then this video for two types of speed glitches in Generations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkhlPE8DqgA

And this video for four types of speed glitches in Unleashed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldELG1iVEw
Oh, this? The only time I can pull anything like that off is in the beginning of Green Hill and Chemical Plant, and it usually fucks up my run, so I don't bother. :p

Pietepiet

I ain't giving up that easily. (Online Time Attack)

Sobbing. I keep getting closer but that one room where the moving blocks form the /\ staircase and there's a spider up top keeps messing me up. I know you can jump at a certain point during the ramp that sends you up there to send you even higher and homing attack the spider, but I can't pull it off....

Ferr986

Did this get posted? The level Taxman did for Sonic CD (and ultimately got rejected by Sega) partially reconstructed from the dats of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbWeIikEi0c

Oh man, that was not meant to be in there!

What you're seeing is basically all that was playable (although the wonky palette cycling must be because you've hacked it in over Palmtree Panic). The level design isn't anywhere near done, it's only a test to see what structures look nice / what ideas are worth pursuing. Same goes with the music - it's only playing the D.A. Garden track because there's nothing else to use.

Had it been done, Desert Dazzle would have been full length Round with time zones and new music. I'm quite fond of the art I made for it actually, it was somewhat of a happy accident coming up with those patterns and colours

Chemical Plant (Modern): 2:58.05

Little Blue tries to catch an early lead hopin' to a different rail. He drops, and that's the end of this narration. Nah, just foolin. Kid might not know it yet, but he's got a date with destiny.

Place is lookin' awfully familiar to the little guy, but he pays no heed. Time's a tickin' and he's got friends to save.

Sometimes ya gotta slow down, even a runnin' man has to learn this lesson sometime. He falls into the water. He ain't drowin' though. He dun learned how to swim. Well... I guess what you can't call what he does swimming.

How far can a man fall before he can't get back up? Luckily, we ain't talking about no man. And for this hedgehog, he's got his friends on his mind. No rest for the wicked

Water's rising up like as fast as gin disappears from an alcoholic's bottle. Move along, little hedgehog.

That hedgehog is grindin' rails and swinging from crane to crane like an ape man like he got somewhere to go. Heh, guess he does.

He ain't happy with the time, but it'll have to do.

This was supposed to be like Bastion's Narrator. Since I'm short on time, it turned out horribly, but I hope it was enjoyable nonetheless

Sky Sanctuary (Modern): 3:58.04

Yeah, I've been meaning to try and get some times in the other levels, but I'm feeling a bit impotent in the face of what's getting posted here now ;p

Dario ff

Banned
There, I'm not running CPZ anymore. (The other closest run I saw was Kakipi at 1:31, and that starts breaking the level with 3D in 2D)

g4m6VUH.png

Yeah, I've been meaning to try and get some times in the other levels, but I'm feeling a bit impotent in the face of what's getting posted here now.
Only reason CPZ got this bad is because we kept beating each other by 1-2 seconds. It started in reasonable times at first... But I don't think I have more will to run any other level after the 200+ restarts CPZ took me. At least not for a few days. X_x

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I wanted to join in on the Generations stuff, but looking at the times being posted, fuck that. I'm not about that speedrun life.
You can always play for fun on the platform of your choice. These guys are playing on PC for instance.

The last thing I had wanted was for people to feel pressured for this or anything. If you wanted to do it for fun like I am, you certainly can.

Edit: looking at it now, no one's doing classic Sonic stuff atm.

So what TMNT beat'em-up games did you guys grow up on?
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_-_The_Hyperstone_Heist_Coverart.png

This was my childhood T.T

This, TMNTIII and Turtles in Time SNES were my standby TMNT games. The pizza place by where I use to live had a Turtles in Time cabinet that was set to free play on weekends for some reason, so that got a lot of play time out of me as well.

You can always play for fun on the platform of your choice. These guys are playing on PC for instance.

The last thing I had wanted was for people to feel pressured for this or anything. If you wanted to do it for fun like I am, you certainly can.

Edit: looking at it now, no one's doing classic Sonic stuff atm.

I guess I can give it a try, though I suck at speedrunning in general, which was why I didn't join in the first place.
KuGsj.gif

iavi

Speedrunning classic Sonic kinda pales in comparison to Modern.

I guess I can give it a try, though I suck at speedrunning in general, which was why I didn't join in the first place.
KuGsj.gif

Join in! It's a friendly competition. (Just look at Dario and PietPiet as outliers while doing it. Those motherfuckers. lol)

Sciz

sonic_generations_ghz1ujcb.png

PC, no skills (literally and metaphorically)

Is there any way to arbitrarily remap a 360 controller? Having stomp/slide on B when there's a spare trigger is driving me positively batty.

Top Bottom