• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

iavi

Quick reminder that there's only a week left (May 17) for the Sonic Generations speedrun stuff.

Item A: I updated the spreadsheet. Quote for it.

Item B: More votes needed for this, please:
The next game on the list was Sonic Unleashed, since that's what a few of us really wanted to speedrun, and Generations was more of a practice thing. I was thinking of doing Unleashed in July to give people a month or so to practice.

a) bump Sonic Unleashed in favour of SA2 in July
b) do Sonic Unleashed in July and do SA2 in August - 1 vote
c) Take a week off and do SA2 or Unleashed in June - 1 vote
d) scrap the idea entirely

I wanted to add Sonic Colours to the mix, since that's the last of the Uncolourations games in this.

Item C: A reminder that the prize for this time around was a quick concept of a Steam game of the winner's choice. Next time I'll pick some better stuff since this was essentially the growing pains thing. I acknowledge that it wasn't organized in the best way, but next time will be better. Especially if I have a month in between for it. Or would you not care for a competitive aspect at all, and would rather just do it for fun?

Item D: These are your times to beat if you want to do the speedruns competitively.

The person with the most best times will win the competition.

Good luck.

With that said, however, people can still do this for fun. I didn't like seeing people scared off by times, but the biggest part of the idea--at least when Pietepiet and I discussed doing this months ago--was for people to have fun doing it, competitively or no or with skills/no skills.

Also I tried to revive the Kirby Music appreciation thread, but oh well.

Waiiit.

47 seconds on GHZ, Sciz?

Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

Man, fuck the PC version of Sonic Generations. I don't know how you people run that game in Online Time Trial mode. It always ends up crashing after 3-4 levels for me, no matter what. The online leaderboard for that game has always been bugged since day 1.

Sciz

Waiiit.

47 seconds on GHZ, Sciz?

Fuuuuuuuuuck that.

technique07_071113i-l.jpg

Man, fuck the PC version of Sonic Generations. I don't know how you people run that game in Online Time Trial mode.

I don't. I know there was one major issue caused by having over a hundred people in your friends list, but it certainly doesn't surprise me if it's buggy independently of that.

iavi

Man, fuck the PC version of Sonic Generations. I don't know how you people run that game in Online Time Trial mode. It always ends up crashing after 3-4 levels for me, no matter what. The online leaderboard for that game has always been bugged since day 1.

Same happens for me too. I also have the issue of it not posting my times to the leaderboards. Messy, messy release in that aspect, which sucks cause it seems to be a fantastic port otherwise.

That was a party-foul on my part, lol.

I thought it had you listed for 47 seconds on act 2. I was getting ready to shout Mspeeding from the rooftops.

Silky

Banned
This has probably been asked before in this thread, but; what is your favorite 'Hill' Zone (Any Zone 1 area or any zone with the word 'Hill' in it.)?

Since Unleashed I've grown a huge attachment to Windmill Isle-zone.

Sciz

That was a party-foul on my part, lol.

I thought it had you listed for 47 seconds on act 2. I was getting ready to shout Mspeeding from the rooftops.

Pfft. I dunno how to pull that stuff in the first place, and even with glitching I don't think it's possible to blitz GHZ 2 that fast.

5+ hours later

XBL: BlazeHedgehog

I can't go any faster.

Well except in maybe Seaside Hill and Crisis City, I kind of donked it near the end of both of those (ran out of boost in the last leg of Seaside Hill, got hit a couple times in Crisis City)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, this is how it looks like now. If Sciz really doesn't want to do it competitively, I'm more than likely going to replace many of his times with yours, Blazey-Blaze.

Did I already vote, Schala?
You didn't, lol. I can't recall which one you wanted to do more in a definitive sense.

This has probably been asked before in this thread, but; what is your favorite 'Hill' Zone (Any Zone 1 area or any zone with the word 'Hill' in it.)?.
Not Hilltop.

OMG Aero

This has probably been asked before in this thread, but; what is your favorite 'Hill' Zone (Any Zone 1 area or any zone with the word 'Hill' in it.)?
Anyone who gives an answer to this question that isn't Pumpkin Hill is banned from the thread.

TheOGB

Banned

Since Unleashed I've grown a huge attachment to Windmill Isle-zone.
I'm also fond of Windmille Isle. I just love that look of Mykonos in general, I'd love to go there someday. I also like Angel Island and--
Anyone who gives an answer to this question that isn't Pumpkin Hill is banned from the thread.
UH, I MEAN, P-PUMP..KIN--WAIT, NOOOOOO

not-jackie-chan-o.gif

You didn't, lol. I can't recall which one you wanted to do more in a definitive sense.

My vote:

pimpin-in-the-alley-o.gif

Then we can go to The Adventures of Scrappy and The Amazing Man-Hog.

Well, it depends: Are we just doing the Day Time stages in Unleashed? If so, then let's just do that and then go with SA2. If we're also doing Night Time stages, my vote is go with SA2 first.

Anth0ny

So I just beat story mode chapter 7 in F-Zero GX.

I think this may be my greatest gaming achievement, surpassing beating Zelda 2. I can't remember the last time I just sat in front of a TV for 3 straight hours playing the same stage of a game over and over and over... I must have played that course no less than 200 times.

In case you've never played F-Zero GX, IT'S FUCKING HARD AS FUCK

I legit did one of these when I saw "mission complete":

tumblr_m1xj6lgqcg1qi0lubpq.gif

So I just beat story mode chapter 7 in F-Zero GX.

I think this may be my greatest gaming achievement, surpassing beating Zelda 2. I can't remember the last time I just sat in front of a TV for 3 straight hours playing the same stage of a game over and over and over... I must have played that course no less than 200 times.

In case you've never played F-Zero GX, IT'S FUCKING HARD AS FUCK

I legit did one of these when I saw "mission complete":]

Obligatory (NSFW)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ended up buying the Console Wars book tonight and I'm currently reading through it. On Chapter 5 so far. It's pretty fascinating.

The thing about it is that a lot of the game history books tend to focus on an impartial stance or from Nintendo's POV, or sometimes they don't have such a breadth and depth as some books (ex: Masters of Doom, Game Over, On the Edge, Innovation and Marketing in the Video Game Industry: Avoiding the Performance Trap, Nintendo Magic, Ultimate History of Video Games, Pix n Love, History of Sonic the Hedgehog, etc), so it's nice to get a book like this. Most of what I know about Sega comes from documentaries or interviews.

It doesn't seem to be falling into the dreadful trap that "Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America" did. For something regarding that subject, I'd heartily recommend Sheff's Game Over instead.

I have not read Service Games, though. I'd very much like to since I bought the StoryBundle.

Well, it depends: Are we just doing the Day Time stages in Unleashed? If so, then let's just do that and then go with SA2. If we're also doing Night Time stages, my vote is go with SA2 first.
I'd wanted to petition to add Werehog stages in, but if people want to do just the day stages, that's fine.

Pretty sure most folks just wanted to do the Day stages, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For a moment I thought you were referring to a Hyperdimension Neptunia novel or something.
oh god no

My favourite quote in the book comes from Katz to Kalinske:

Michael Katz said:
Yes, and what you'll soon learn is that you shouldn't have taken this job. Do you know what Sega really is? Sega is a joke. Sega is a punch line. Sega is a ticking time bomb, and you've just signed up to strap it to your chest---!

Other stuff:
Hey, Al," Kalinske said, jumping right in. "What the hell is a hedgehog?"
"You mean, aside from the demise of Sega?" Nilsen joked. According to one Mr. Michael Katz, at least."

And:

The fax machine stopped sputtering, and Kalinske picked up the sketch.
"Ah," he said, trying not to sound repulsed." Very interesting." Kalinske stared at the drawing, trying to see in it what Nakayama saw, but it was no use. The hedgehog looked villainous and crude, complete with sharp fangs, a spiked collar, an electric guitar, and a human girlfriend whose cleavage made Barbie's chest look flat. "I assume this is the girlfriend?"
"Yes," Nakayama said, "That is Madonna."
"Kind of racy, no?"
"Tom," Nakayama said, and sighed. "This is not the reaction I expected."

"I'll tell you one thing, though--if Sonic and Mario were alone in an alley, I would have no doubt who I'd put my money on." [Kalinske said.] He had been expecting a Mario-killer, but not one that literally looked like a serial killer. Maybe this Sonic could sell in Japan, but in America he belonged inside a nightmare.

[Madeline Schroeder] looked it over. "I think we'll be the first videogame company whose core demographic is goths."
"Nakayama loves it."
"Of course he does," she said.

I think the book's not bad so far. If it keeps it up, it could complement Game Over.

Anth0ny

but when I said there would be a kinectless, $399 Xbone before E3 I was quoted 10 times being told it would never happen because kinect is integral to the Microsoft Xbox One experience.

what happened?

Tizoc

but when I said there would be a kinectless, $399 Xbone before E3 I was quoted 10 times being told it would never happen because kinect is integral to the Microsoft Xbox One experience.

what happened?

You should've made a bet on that =V

I ended up buying the Console Wars book tonight and I'm currently reading through it. On Chapter 5 so far. It's pretty fascinating.

The thing about it is that a lot of the game history books tend to focus on an impartial stance or from Nintendo's POV, or sometimes they don't have such a breadth and depth as some books (ex: Masters of Doom, Game Over, On the Edge, Innovation and Marketing in the Video Game Industry: Avoiding the Performance Trap, Nintendo Magic, Ultimate History of Video Games, Pix n Love, History of Sonic the Hedgehog, etc), so it's nice to get a book like this. Most of what I know about Sega comes from documentaries or interviews.

It doesn't seem to be falling into the dreadful trap that "Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America" did. For something regarding that subject, I'd heartily recommend Sheff's Game Over instead.

I have not read Service Games, though. I'd very much like to since I bought the StoryBundle.

I'd wanted to petition to add Werehog stages in, but if people want to do just the day stages, that's fine.

Pretty sure most folks just wanted to do the Day stages, though.

The book sounds interesting, is it available digitally? Maybe I'll ask my brother to get it for me from the US.

Thought those quotes you mentioned...it makes it seem like those working in the Western video game companies in the 90s were a bunch of immature morons...

what happened?

I hope you bookmarked every quote that said otherwise so you can call each and everyone of them out for our amusement.

Man, I wanted to find that part of the Sonic Community thread where all the mods came in to explain why they don't care so much for megathreads for a Twitter conversation earlier today (to explain why all the company-specific E3 hype threads got locked), but now I can't find it at all. Boo.

But wouldn't that make it Wii-Useless?
Some games, yes. It'd still be an HD* Nintendo console, and most games work with a Wii U Pro Controller.

(*HD being 720p or above, admittedly, but better than 480p or lower...)

PKrockin

Sonic Adventure's opening still blows me away every time I see it. I'd still much sooner replay Sonic/Shadow's levels in Adventure 2 than anything in Adventure 1, but damn.

Man, I wanted to find that part of the Sonic Community thread where all the mods came in to explain why they don't care so much for megathreads for a Twitter conversation earlier today (to explain why all the company-specific E3 hype threads got locked), but now I can't find it at all. Boo.
Here's where that discussion started

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is interesting to read, even if I'm late to it.

For the longest time, I made it a point to at least try to catch up on all the new threads created in Gaming each and every day, even as traffic increased to obscene levels. And then I just abruptly stopped about a year ago. Between worthwhile discussion naturally funneling itself into sub-community megathreads and Gaming proper becoming "SalesAge: The Forum," it just all of a sudden seemed to be a waste of time to venture outside of my subscriptions list.

PKrockin

This is interesting to read, even if I'm late to it.

For the longest time, I made it a point to at least try to catch up on all the new threads created in Gaming each and every day, even as traffic increased to obscene levels. And then I just abruptly stopped about a year ago. Between worthwhile discussion naturally funneling itself into sub-community megathreads and Gaming proper becoming "SalesAge: The Forum," it just all of a sudden seemed to be a waste of time to venture outside of my subscriptions list.
Yeah, looking at the front page now it's almost entirely industry talk, tech/pixel counting threads and polls. Aside from OTs and the odd LTTP there seem to be very few threads about the games themselves these days. Outside of this thread and the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate OT I must have posted about 5 times this month.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The book sounds interesting, is it available digitally? Maybe I'll ask my brother to get it for me from the US.

Thought those quotes you mentioned...it makes it seem like those working in the Western video game companies in the 90s were a bunch of immature morons...
That isn't true. America is much different from Japan and essentially both of them were being babies. Even later the book describes what we now know: SoJ and SoA never got along and that meant a rocky business relationship.

And yeah, I'm reading the book digitally right now.

One of the ideas for a compromise for a Sonic was to have two Sonics: the Mr. Needlemouse design for Japan and the Sonic that we know in America, but SoA wanted just one universal Sonic a la Mickey Mouse. If SoJ had it their way, we would've had a more defined version of Angry Kirby in Japan of all places.

What twitter convo?

I will admit that I still sometimes blame myself for what happened then. It was pretty much my fault, and I had told SonicGAF that in IRC at least.

One of the ideas for a compromise for a Sonic was to have two Sonics: the Mr. Needlemouse design for Japan and the Sonic that we know in America, but SoA wanted just one universal Sonic a la Mickey Mouse. If SoJ had it their way, we would've had a more defined version of Angry Kirby in Japan of all places.

...and then Sonic Boom happened.

HUELEN10

EatGJGY.jpeg

wat

Context, what's that!?
Basically, Colin's ship that was searching for a new planet, has come back to Mobius. Colin and his crew have no idea that the Eggman who they meet again isn't their Julian Kintobor, but rather the re-shelled Robo-Robotnik from another zone. Hope Kintobor is stating that the land seems to belong to the Mobians, not the overlanders and other humans. Later, she discovers her first robian, and her world starts falling apart before her eyes.

Basically, Colin's ship that was searching for a new planet, has come back to Mobius. Colin and his crew have no idea that the Eggman who they meet again isn't their Julian Kintobor, but rather the re-shelled Robo-Robotnik from another zone. Hope Kintobor is stating that the land seems to belong to the Mobians, not the overlanders and other humans. Later, she discovers her first robian, and her world starts falling apart before her eyes.

...wat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Phantom was highlighting the joke in the image, not saying that he didn't get the plot. :p

This one.

Looking back at what was said then, though, I'm thinking it wasn't as relevant as I'd remembered. I might've been mixing it up with EatChildren explaining why the Wii U Speculation Threads were locked.
I'd say it's two and two together. Both types of threads end up resembling megathreads and/or a place for people to hang out thread after thread, barely posting in other areas or probably keeping new yet unsignificant developments in one thread. At the same time, though, the Smash Bros thread falls into the community category, so I dunno.

I'm with the rest of you in thinking that the main page looks a lot like a news/resolution wars/sales aggregate and less like a place to discuss actual game content. LTTP threads end up getting buried, and some lower-profile game threads don't get noticed as much because news comes out quite fast.

Anyway, thanks Ani & Beef. That's nice of you two to say.

...and then Sonic Boom happened.
That's pretty much the exact thought that crossed my mind when I read that.

I haven't read a lot of it today, but I got to the part where they're trying to conceive "Sonic 2sday" from a marketing perspective. I've read a fair share of video game marketing books, but they're usually in terms of "how" to do it and written in terms of an aftermath scenario. This is kind of nice in that it's providing a bit of context with maybe some neat dialogue.

What twitter convo?

I will admit that I still sometimes blame myself for what happened then. It was pretty much my fault, and I had told SonicGAF that in IRC at least.

It's not your fault Schala. Never has been, never will be. People have naturally fled Gaming Side as it's become ground zero for the console war and whatever else is the latest "thing" to bitch about. Being able to hang around community side with posters like you, Beef, Sciz, Owl, Hog, etc. is one of the reasons I haven't just plain given up on GAF.

Top Bottom