• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

Real quick cuz I'm in the middle of something atm.

There is the option for Red Ring runs (runs where you get all red rings in as little time as possible, normal time attack runs, and another for runs with skills.

No skills, if you're competing for the steam game of your choice prize.
Declare the platform you are playing it on.
Declare if you are doing the speedruns for fun or for the prize.

I need to edit the spreadsheet and I'll do that tonight. Been busy this week with spring cleaning and going out and all.
1)Probobly only doing it for fun, unless something you guys have for a prize particularly interest me. So are the prizes known? If not then definitely for funs and giggles

2) PC/Steam

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
1)Probobly only doing it for fun, unless something you guys have for a prize particularly interest me. So are the prizes known? If not then definitely for funs and giggles

2) PC/Steam
Steam game of the winner's choice.

As I said elsewhere, this was the growing pains edition and I promise the next speedrun will have better stuff and will be more organized since I have a better idea of what to do for it.

Update from Ben Bates regarding his departure:

...so he's not gone for good, yay!

budZQGT.jpg

*throws in air*

Village

I should send those guys my portfolio.

It would be neat if i could get something out of that.

Anyways here is my no skills items poo time

4nfqld8.jpg

You know who the fastest character

Omochao, that dudes keeps up with you with ease and flies ahead of you to provide you information.

ban lucky seven

from nocturne comments:

Lucky Seven
3 hours ago (edited)

WHAT? FUCK YOU GAF I ACTUALLY LIKED THIS SONG.

Edit: Another bad music thread, and this one is linked. Fuck.
Edit2: Found it linked again. Recorded for science. 5/10/14
Edit3: Twice in one day! Two different threads, ofc. 5/10/14

BHZ Mayor

ban lucky seven

from nocturne comments:

Lucky Seven
3 hours ago (edited)

WHAT? FUCK YOU GAF I ACTUALLY LIKED THIS SONG.

Edit: Another bad music thread, and this one is linked. Fuck.
Edit2: Found it linked again. Recorded for science. 5/10/14
Edit3: Twice in one day! Two different threads, ofc. 5/10/14

Well you know what Beef? I liked the song too.

When it was in Sonic 3.

Sciz

I never got around to trying advance 3. What's everyone's general view on it?

They heard the entirely justified complaint that Advance 2 was a hold-right-to-win game loud and clear and developed the most complex levels we've seen since Sonic 3 in response. Unfortunately Dimps has never had the strong grasp of quality level design that Genesis-era Sonic Team did, so the levels are sprawling labyrinths that do a poor job of guiding the player and aren't any fun to traverse because Dimps still has no grasp of good hazard placement. They also decided to pad zones back out to three acts, despite never having three acts' worth of ideas, and topped that off with a crummy hub level for each zone, which aspire to be puzzle/platforming areas and fall flat on their collective face.

The partner mechanic takes everything you knew about the characters from the prior two games and throws it into a blender, with the result being that it's a pain in the ass to find a character combination that actually plays how you want it to (Amy+Sonic is a better Sonic than any of the actual Sonic-led pairs). They're poorly balanced, and since the convoluted level design puts a premium on mobility, the Knuckles/Tails combo trumps everything else outside of bosses, which Cream still breaks. Partner AI is also worthless and can't keep up at all.

And then there's the special stages which they managed to make even more aggravating to enter than they were in the last game. First you have to go on a scavenger hunt for ten chao scattered across the entire zone, then you have to replay a level to find a key and beat the level without a death to keep it, then you have to find the entrance out in the hub, and then if you fail you have to go get another key. Rinse and repeat across all seven zones, and the only saving grace is that they're back to being universal instead of per-character like in Advance 2.

Shit sucks (quality music aside).

BHZ Mayor

I just played some Mario Kart 64 to kinda quell some of my hype for 8.

Mushroom Cup, 150cc. I get through it pretty easily. A few minor hiccups due to not having played it in years, but I still get a perfect first place. So on to Flower Cup.

Toad's Turnpike, surprisingly, I get through it pretty easily. No collisions with traffic. Easy first place.

Frappe Snowland, however, not so much. I can't stop hitting the snowmen midway through the track, even falling off the bridge at one point. It takes three tries to get a second place finish (because I hit a snowman on the last lap).

Choco Mountain. Good lord. This is where the rust shines. I must've fallen off that cliff that puts you at an earlier point of the track about 5 or 6 times in the first lap alone. Total disaster. I try again. I get through the first lap okay, then fall off at that spot again on the second lap. I gave up at this point. Couldn't do anything but laugh at how shitty I've apparently become at this game.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't hold up as well either. The control overall feels kind of stiff or something. I'm not sure if it's the controller or the game. I haven't played the later entries in a while either, but I'm pretty sure they control more smoothly than 64.

Tizoc

Nice thanks for the info guys.

Oh and did I ever mention how I hate the
Giant Boss Fights
in Mario and Luigi 4/Dream Team? Because I really hate them.

Village

That reminds me: What are the must watch Seasons of Spongebob?

Everything up to the movie. Then watch the movie

Then pretend spongebob got canceled

Because it literally turns into the bad kind of nonsense humor, and just workplace humor, bad workplace humor.

I never got around to trying advance 3. What's everyone's general view on it?

Tries to combine the slower pace of Sonic Advance 1 with the high speed antics of Sonic Advance 2 by way of a weird Sonic-Heroes-esque partner system. You pick who you want to play as, plus your buddy character, and your buddy augments your main abilities.

So, for example, Sonic + Tails will control a lot like Sonic Advance 2. Sonic + Amy makes Sonic slower and more melee focused.

It ends up sort of a headache with characters like Knuckles, because his normal abilities (climbing and gliding) are separated off in to different teams. I think it's something like... Knuckles + Sonic gives you climbing, but Knuckles + Tails gives you gliding? Something like that. You can also utilize your buddy's special ability by holding down the R button and charging it up (Tails can airlift you, Sonic will give you a burst of speed, etc.)

Levels are largely ugly, gross, and disjointed. They feel like concepts they made for the first two Sonic Advance games but discarded for not being good enough. Sunset Hill in particular has lots of bits were tiles don't connect properly. It's really ugly, and to make matters worse, levels themselves are HUGE and full of lots of trial and error "oops spikes popped out of the floor when you weren't expecting it" design.

Special Stages continue the legacy of having EXTREMELY complex methods of entry. In each hub, there's a spring with a padlock on it. You can't use it until you have some keys. To get keys, you must first find and collect all of the chao in the three acts of that particular zone (5-10+ total), and once all the chao are gone, keys start spawning in the places chao used to be. It takes one key per attempt at a special stage.

Generally, if you haven't picked up on it, I don't think it's a very good game. Definitely the weakest of the Sonic Advance trilogy.

Village

Tries to combine the slower pace of Sonic Advance 1 with the high speed antics of Sonic Advance 2 by way of a weird Sonic-Heroes-esque partner system. You pick who you want to play as, plus your buddy character, and your buddy augments your main abilities.

So, for example, Sonic + Tails will control a lot like Sonic Advance 2. Sonic + Amy makes Sonic slower and more melee focused.

It ends up sort of a headache with characters like Knuckles, because his normal abilities (climbing and gliding) are separated off in to different teams. I think it's something like... Knuckles + Sonic gives you climbing, but Knuckles + Tails gives you gliding? Something like that. You can also utilize your buddy's special ability by holding down the R button and charging it up (Tails can airlift you, Sonic will give you a burst of speed, etc.)
I am pretty sure, tails and knuckles broke the game because you could have tails throw your ass a bajillion feet into their air glide and climb up ways and basically cheese your way to every secret area or short cut in the game.

Also your buddy had abilities specific to the guy you choose too. Along them messing with you.

Levels are largely ugly, gross, and disjointed. They feel like concepts they made for the first two Sonic Advance games but discarded for not being good enough. Sunset Hill in particular has lots of bits were tiles don't connect properly. It's really ugly, and to make matters worse, levels themselves are HUGE and full of lots of trial and error "oops spikes popped out of the floor when you weren't expecting it" design..
I don't agree, while I do feel like they are large I never had any problem navigating the levels , they are fairly strait forward. The problem is however it turns into mario, and thats not sonic, its mario. A lot of the later levels the platform design and over all formatting reminds me of mario games, specifically mario 3 and mario world, it works there , nt here.
Special Stages continue the legacy of having EXTREMELY complex methods of entry. In each hub, there's a spring with a padlock on it. You can't use it until you have some keys. To get keys, you must first find and collect all of the chao in the three acts of that particular zone (5-10+ total), and once all the chao are gone, keys start spawning in the places chao used to be. It takes one key per attempt at a special stage.

Special zones are and will always will be dumb

Generally, if you haven't picked up on it, I don't think it's a very good game. Definitely the weakest of the Sonic Advance trilogy.

I like it the most out of the three, that buddy system is great.

That said, I woudn't advise you to get it if you wanna see super sonic, the special zone is so terrible, that If you wish to actually beat the game proper it wouldn't even prove worth it. Especially considering the pre super sonic boss can be beaten in two seconds with sonic and creams team up abilities.

And the final boss himself, isn't that hard. So it just feels like you wasted time on something that wasn't even challenging or fulfilling at all.

Tizoc

Special zones are and will always will be dumb

Sonic 2 and 3 had the best concept for Special Zones, it's a shame SEGA hasn't managed to make interesting Special Zones since then, though to be fair 2 and 3's are the only ones that stand out to me and ones I enjoyed.

Sonic 2 and 3 had the best concept for Special Zones, it's a shame SEGA hasn't managed to make interesting Special Zones since then, though to be fair 2 and 3's are the only ones that stand out to me and ones I enjoyed.

Knuckles Chaotix and the Saturn version of 3D Blast have great special stages. Only problem is that the latter is just a (admittedly well done) retread of Sonic 2's half-pipe stage, and well, the former is stuck in Knuckles Chaotix.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Quick reminder that there's only a week left (May 17) for the Sonic Generations speedrun stuff.

Item A: I updated the spreadsheet. Quote for it.

Item B: More votes needed for this, please:
The next game on the list was Sonic Unleashed, since that's what a few of us really wanted to speedrun, and Generations was more of a practice thing. I was thinking of doing Unleashed in July to give people a month or so to practice.

a) bump Sonic Unleashed in favour of SA2 in July
b) do Sonic Unleashed in July and do SA2 in August - 1 vote
c) Take a week off and do SA2 or Unleashed in June - 1 vote
d) scrap the idea entirely

I wanted to add Sonic Colours to the mix, since that's the last of the Uncolourations games in this.

Item C: A reminder that the prize for this time around was a quick concept of a Steam game of the winner's choice. Next time I'll pick some better stuff since this was essentially the growing pains thing. I acknowledge that it wasn't organized in the best way, but next time will be better. Especially if I have a month in between for it. Or would you not care for a competitive aspect at all, and would rather just do it for fun?

Item D: These are your times to beat if you want to do the speedruns competitively.

The person with the most best times will win the competition.

Good luck.

With that said, however, people can still do this for fun. I didn't like seeing people scared off by times, but the biggest part of the idea--at least when Pietepiet and I discussed doing this months ago--was for people to have fun doing it, competitively or no or with skills/no skills.

Also I tried to revive the Kirby Music appreciation thread, but oh well.

I don't agree, while I do feel like they are large I never had any problem navigating the levels , they are fairly strait forward. The problem is however it turns into mario, and thats not sonic, its mario. A lot of the later levels the platform design and over all formatting reminds me of mario games, specifically mario 3 and mario world, it works there , nt here.

I never got a particularly Mario vibe out of Sonic Advance 3. I just got a jumbled mess. Nothing fits together. There's almost no themes to speak of. Like, you get a sense of progression in Sonic 1, right? Well, why is that?

Time of day, level complexity, it all mixes together to form cohesion. Sonic Advance 3...

A7VuNl1.png
3rvJBNA.png
3BwtUIT.png
Xc3LXjY.png
e0llkWV.png
oswQsH4.png
47EeXBg.png

Levels are so different it almost starts to feel like different art styles. Like every level is on a different planet. There's no glue holding them together.

Sometimes they have Sonic Advance 1's pseudo-realism, sometimes the art goes way more abstract, sometimes its cartoony... like I said, it's like they were intended as levels for other games but were held back because they didn't fit or didn't work right or whatever. And rather than let all of that art go to waste, it got dumped in to Sonic Advance 3.

I mean, Ocean Base has the sinister look of Scrap Brain or Metropolis Zone, but it's the third level in the game. Toy Kingdom, Twinkle Snow and Cybertrack definitely feel like they were trashed concepts for Sonic Advance 2 (Music Plant, Ice Paradise, Techno Base). And if they aren't cast-off ideas, then they're blatantly unoriginal, because they're really, REALLY thematically close to existing zone tropes (some variant of "ice level" was in all three Sonic Advance games).

Bleh bleh bleh

I will say that had the levels been constructed differently, and perhaps Team Changing been allowed in-stage, this mechanic could've been more worthwhile and interesting. Even when a pairing gives you similar abilities to another pairing, there's usually some twist to it. Like I remember one pair lets you not only climb with Knuckles, but also Spindash against the walls. And there's so much animation for the various moves.

Unfortunately, the game was pretty much a bog standard Advance stage layout, except for a few extra walls to break through. So there wasn't much point in exploring combinations.

Probably the dumbest thing was making Cream the last to unlock, though, since she was introduced in Advance 2 as the "Easy Mode" character. She sort of works that way here, too, but you don't get her until close to the end of the game.

Oh! Right, one other annoyance: characters unlocked ONLY if Sonic was in the lead. As soon as I unlocked Tails, I played with him in the lead, and wondered for a while why no one else was unlocking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm, I've only played the Advance games once in my lifetime and that was via borrowing them from someone. So I do admit whenever I talk about them, my memory's usually a bit fuzzy.

A friend got me Sonic Advance 1, so maybe I should revisit that soon. It shouldn't take long, right? I don't remember SAdv1 taking that long.

Hm, I've only played the Advance games once in my lifetime and that was via borrowing them from someone. So I do admit whenever I talk about them, my memory's usually a bit fuzzy.

A friend got me Sonic Advance 1, so maybe I should revisit that soon. It shouldn't take long, right? I don't remember SAdv1 taking that long.

None of the Advance games are any longer than the original Genesis Sonic games, unless you intend on unlocking the final fight (which, depending on the game, requires you to get all the chaos emeralds with all the characters).

Sciz

It's only six zones, two acts per. Amy's worth a replay, Tails and Knuckles less so.

Or would you not care for a competitive aspect at all, and would rather just do it for fun?

Yeah, I'm just in this for the casual fun of seeing how I stack up against the local SonicGAF talent.

I don't agree, while I do feel like they are large I never had any problem navigating the levels , they are fairly strait forward.

Some of them are, but then there's clusterfucks like Sunset Hill Act 3 where the progression is primarily vertical and the level has so much white space that it's far too easy to fall down and find yourself in a place you've already been through.

Pietepiet

Quick reminder that there's only a week left (May 17) for the Sonic Generations speedrun stuff.

I'm gonna try to get some more times in this week! Haven't had much time to play the game :(

Ahh, I see we're on the topic of Sonic Advance again. SAdv2 is still my favourite of the three. About a year ago, I think, I took the time to get all Emeralds with every character (including Amy), and it actually really made me appreciate some of the level design and alternate paths with more precise platforming that you can take. Great game.

Top Bottom