• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

zeemumu

I think I should leave this here

h0EC1385C

Sciz

I'm a bit surprised that nothing has (publicly) come of all that hand-wringing yet other than the usual pack of new mods. GAF's not getting any smaller.

Penders gets a lot of well-deserved flak, but christ almighty Bollers wrote some stupid stuff.

Being able to hang around community side with posters like you, Beef, Sciz, Owl, Hog, etc. is one of the reasons I haven't just plain given up on GAF.

D'aw.

BlackJace

I've kind of accepted that Gaming Side isn't going to get much better for the foreseeable future. Now that I've done that, it makes it less of a disappointment when I see certain threads dominate the front page.

As always, you guys are a great bunch of peoples.

Some games, yes. It'd still be an HD* Nintendo console, and most games work with a Wii U Pro Controller.

(*HD being 720p or above, admittedly, but better than 480p or lower...)

There's already Wii U games that would not function at all without a gamepad (ZombiU), and with Nintendo saying they're doubling down on making use of the gamepad, they're undoubtedly making more than one game that cannot function without one. Plus, look at the rise of "second screen gaming" since the Wii U's unveiling. It's a feature a lot of people are interested in, even if they aren't necessarily developing for the Wii U.

Nintendo's pushing harder on the Gamepad, not backing off of it. The Wii U will live and die by its hand.

That Sonic is fantastically terrifying, but he sure as hell ain't no man, hog of the year perhaps.

It's not your fault Schala. Never has been, never will be. People have naturally fled Gaming Side as it's become ground zero for the console war and whatever else is the latest "thing" to bitch about. Being able to hang around community side with posters like you, Beef, Sciz, Owl, Hog, etc. is one of the reasons I haven't just plain given up on GAF.
A mention for old Owl? I'm actually kinda touched.
In the muffled words of the dude from Altered Beast respawning after death "Never Give Up", I think it specifically has to be the arcade version for that voice clip but the point still stands.

A mention for old Owl? I'm actually kinda touched.
In the muffled words of the dude from Altered Beast respawning after death "Never Give Up", I think it specifically has to be the arcade version for that voice clip but the point still stands.

Maybe it should be Cena in that Altered Beast gif instead of Batista.

BHZ Mayor

I will admit that I still sometimes blame myself for what happened then. It was pretty much my fault, and I had told SonicGAF that in IRC at least.

Will you stop with this?

Edit:

It's not your fault Schala. Never has been, never will be. People have naturally fled Gaming Side as it's become ground zero for the console war and whatever else is the latest "thing" to bitch about. Being able to hang around community side with posters like you, Beef, Sciz, Owl, Hog, etc. is one of the reasons I haven't just plain given up on GAF.

Also this. Just look around any other community and Off-Topic just how many people say they stay away from Gaming side. It's almost universally avoided these days.

So, no, it's not your fault.

BLUE ARMS
He's wearing a long-sleeved suit. I can't really complain about it, given it kinda makes logical sense as such.

I'd say it's two and two together. Both types of threads end up resembling megathreads and/or a place for people to hang out thread after thread, barely posting in other areas or probably keeping new yet unsignificant developments in one thread. At the same time, though, the Smash Bros thread falls into the community category, so I dunno.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? It's very insular, although it does have faces new and old rotating in and out periodically. That's basically the very definition of a GAF community... and yet, it's still in Gaming proper, not Gaming Community.

I've asked why, and the prevailing opinion is that since it technically provides news every weekday with daily.jpg's updates, it kinda makes sense that it's not been moved over yet - on the condition that notable updates (new characters, stages, maybe assist trophies) have to have their own threads made instead. Seems like a fairly tenuous distinction, but I'm not a mod.

I'm with the rest of you in thinking that the main page looks a lot like a news/resolution wars/sales aggregate and less like a place to discuss actual game content. LTTP threads end up getting buried, and some lower-profile game threads don't get noticed as much because news comes out quite fast.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is an issue that should be raised in its own thread, so it isn't just a single community that notices it but the entirety of Gaming Side. However, I'm also concerned that it would just get drowned out by people constantly bumping up the "Watch_Dogs is 900p30! Game ruined!*" thread or thirty "Wii U manages to sell negative numbers this month, NINTENDOOMED" threads or whatever controversial thread is hot at the time. Not to mention, a thread basically calling out an entire community for this kind of behavior has to be done with extreme levels of careful planning, because one misstep and your ass will be smacked with the banhammer so fast the resulting transfer of kinetic energy will send you hurtling toward Alpha Centauri. It's definitely something that needs attention called to it, at any rate.

(*Watch_Dogs never interested me, so I can't say as it's especially ruined by this; it's not like I was ever going to play it. I definitely favor 1080p60, however. Failing that, 1080p30 or sub-1080p-but-60FPS. Failing to hit both 1080p and 60FPS on the new hardware is an indication either that you're not developing the kind of game I want to play (which is where I'm classifying Watch_Dogs right now), that you're technically-incompetent, or that the new generation of hardware doesn't offer nearly enough of a step up above our prior set - but I don't really need to have 50-page debates on the subject, when I can just not buy the game and move on.)

Although I'm slowly getting accustomed to blue-arms Sonic, I just noticed Knuckles has fingers.

Also, that glare is placed just poorly enough that it looks like it's trying to censor something about (who I'm assuming is) Marine there. What you can see makes her look rather feral, I must say.

BTW, if you're gonna make cigar-Sonic avatars, a cleaner source image would be a good starting point.

Sciz

I guess they figure Amy's already got the girly pink and purple part of the color balance on lockdown. No one wants to animate CGI fire all the time either.

Where's that shot from, though?

Falk

that puzzling face
(*Watch_Dogs never interested me, so I can't say as it's especially ruined by this; it's not like I was ever going to play it. I definitely favor 1080p60, however. Failing that, 1080p30 or sub-1080p-but-60FPS. Failing to hit both 1080p and 60FPS on the new hardware is an indication either that you're not developing the kind of game I want to play (which is where I'm classifying Watch_Dogs right now), that you're technically-incompetent, or that the new generation of hardware doesn't offer nearly enough of a step up above our prior set - but I don't really need to have 50-page debates on the subject, when I can just not buy the game and move on.)

If everyone played on PC there wouldn't be a 50-page debate.

Wait

Ubisoft's PC versions are hit-or-miss and all require UPlay

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Village

I'm surprised they aren't giving Blaze the push instead of Marine, but whatever

If that is her and thats real, it makes sense.

Apperently there is no magic chaos shit in this world.

That's kind of blazes and shadow's thing, and they couldn't work there. I don't see them really being in it unless they go through like.. heavy revisions.

Though if that is real, that comes with a whole other implication, that being that there maybe more than 4 playable characters in the first game or in future games. And if thats a thing, this game could be the best sonic game ever

"select a friend"

"Fuck shit up. "

Im down for that if its good

Sciz

Time for everyone to speculate that she's Marine even though she only has some similarities to Marine.

Same color scheme, similar build, is holding a boomerang, and skews far closer to the usual Sega style than any of the other characters who showed up on that concept art board.

Is there any reasonable doubt?

edit: I mean, they could've simply created an "inspired by" or "related to" character for whatever reason, but a redesign is the simpler explanation here.

edit2: The gold rings from her hair show up on her arm in the concept art, too.

TimmiT

Same color scheme, similar build, is holding a boomerang, and skews far closer to the usual Sega style than any of the other characters who showed up on that concept art board.

Is there any reasonable doubt?

edit: I mean, they could've simply created an "inspired by" or "related to" character for whatever reason, but a redesign is the simpler explanation here.

edit2: The gold rings from her hair show up on her arm in the concept art, too.

Mike Pollock apparently did respond to people thinking that this is Marine with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

So I dunno. Also, people have forgotten the most important aspect of the leaked picture:
Source

Sciz

Tails has angry eyes, Amy's still weirdly sultry, and I dunno what the hell Knuckles is supposed to be doing there. At least Sonic comes off normal.

Mike Pollock apparently did respond to people thinking that this is Marine with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

Mike's great, but that's a non-answer if I've ever seen one. Not the sort of thing he can talk about.

Too many parallels for Marine not to have been the starting point, whatever the case may be.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It may or may not be Marine. I mean, it looks like Marine.

But at the same time, I wonder if it's a new character with traits that Marine had anyway.

The biggest draw of that pic is Knux tho. Still hasn't done leg day yet.

"That's not the only appendage that got enlarged baby"

image.php
:lol :lol :lol

>_<

Will you stop with this?
Okay, I'll say it's not my fault.

(Thanks. That's really nice of you.)

I'm a bit surprised that nothing has (publicly) come of all that hand-wringing yet other than the usual pack of new mods. GAF's not getting any smaller.
I think we need a few more tabs than the ones we do have. Look at RoosterTeeth, SA, etc. GAF ain't small, it's going to keep expanding, and it probably needs extra boards to accommodate people if they do not want to promote the idea of megathreads. I know that they don't necessarily want to segment people into different cubes, but isn't that the thing that's basically happening right now by the members' volition?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? It's very insular, although it does have faces new and old rotating in and out periodically. That's basically the very definition of a GAF community... and yet, it's still in Gaming proper, not Gaming Community.

I've asked why, and the prevailing opinion is that since it technically provides news every weekday with daily.jpg's updates, it kinda makes sense that it's not been moved over yet - on the condition that notable updates (new characters, stages, maybe assist trophies) have to have their own threads made instead. Seems like a fairly tenuous distinction, but I'm not a mod.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is an issue that should be raised in its own thread, so it isn't just a single community that notices it but the entirety of Gaming Side. However, I'm also concerned that it would just get drowned out by people constantly bumping up the "Watch_Dogs is 900p30! Game ruined!*" thread or thirty "Wii U manages to sell negative numbers this month, NINTENDOOMED" threads or whatever controversial thread is hot at the time. Not to mention, a thread basically calling out an entire community for this kind of behavior has to be done with extreme levels of careful planning, because one misstep and your ass will be smacked with the banhammer so fast the resulting transfer of kinetic energy will send you hurtling toward Alpha Centauri. It's definitely something that needs attention called to it, at any rate.
I'm pretty sure that 90% of the population honestly doesn't give a flying fuck whether or not Watch Dogs doesn't have stable fps unless it makes them nauseous or that it's whatever resolution it is. This is more along the lines of "my toy is better than yours" type of stuff.

I don't notice new Smash news unless a new thread is made for it, otherwise I don't really step in there other than for curiosity's sake. The threads seem to go quickly and it generally seems to see the same faces quite often with the same person making every new thread and the community having its own IRC channel. Hence why I thought it was a community thread. Kinda falls into the same scenario that the old FF13 megathreads did, though, but that was before megathreads were a thing.

Otherwise, if you do take issue with something, PM a mod instead of making a thread for it as I do think a thread of that nature would be locked sans explanation. This is why I always felt that GAF needed something similar to QCS without some of the bs in QCS. GAF's getting big enough to warrant its own QCS equivalent instead of PMing a mod on a case-by-case basis since every mod does seem to handle some things slightly differently than others.

Otherwise, if you do take issue with something, PM a mod instead of making a thread for it as I do think a thread of that nature would be locked sans explanation. This is why I always felt that GAF needed something similar to QCS without some of the bs in QCS. GAF's getting big enough to warrant its own QCS equivalent instead of PMing a mod on a case-by-case basis since every mod does seem to handle some things slightly differently than others.
I don't think PMing a mod is really going to cut it; I'm talking a discussion about how we, as a board, are seemingly more interested in petty "my dick is bigger than yours" contests, frothing over such minutia as resolutions and framerates and hardware power and such, than just talking about how awesome specific games are. That's sort of a dialog that'd require involvement of more than just one staff member and myself, surely?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hence why I suggested the QCS idea.

I no longer feel it's sufficient enough to PM a mod/three mods (as suggested last year) for something substantial like that. It isn't as simple as airing out grievances.

OMG Aero

I'm pretty sure that 90% of the population honestly doesn't give a flying fuck whether or not Watch Dogs doesn't have stable fps unless it makes them nauseous or that it's whatever resolution it is.
I wouldn't be so sure about this.
My brother called me the other day to tell me about his PS4 which he'd just bought, I asked him why he bought a PS4 since he already had an Xbox One and he said he got it because he heard Watch Dogs was going to be a higher resolution on the PS4. As far as I know my brother doesn't read about video games on the internet and I never really talk to him about them, he just gets a console to play Call of Duty, then Battlefield, then Titanfall with people he knows at work and I assume they are in the same or similar situations to him. So somehow all the hullabaloo about resolution got to him and either mattered enough to him or gave him the impression that it mattered enough to buy a new console instead of just settling for the Xbox One version.
It's like when Vinny talks about his family on the Bombcast and how some of them still think the Xbox One has all the online only DRM. Obviously not everything gets through to or matters to Joe Public, but it's surprising what does and then what important things don't.

This is interesting to read, even if I'm late to it.

Same, I had no idea the exchange occurred.

I don't mind a bit of the sales talk and pixel counting, because it's good to know where things stand in both regards (not so much on a system-vs-system basis, but on a per-game basis, when you're trying to get the ideal version of a game). I'd be holding my breath for the Vita TV if I hadn't seen how utterly miserable sales were for it in Japan (unfortunately), so I know now not to count on that coming, for example.

But I will agree it has gotten out of hand. And casual discussion does tend to devolve into attacks anymore. I still poke around Gaming more than some of you seem to, but I'm finding less and less joy in it. It's almost impossible to discuss ideas, or theories, it just becomes "That's stupid, you're stupid" "Source or GTFO", or it drifts past the first page with barely a blink.

I don't keep up with Sonic GAF enough, so I'm usually lost and catching up when I come back and read through it. Sometimes I do feel odd posting Sonic-specific things when the thread is chatting about Final Fantasy XIII: Lighting Hates Your Face, and I know many of you have already chatted about the subject in other, more Sonic-friendly places (Sonic Retro, Sonic Stadium, etc).

So...

Who thinks we'll see a new Sonic Racing this year? First one was out 2010, Transformed was 2012... wouldn't surprise me to see another one this Christmas. Not sure if it'd be next-gen, mind.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I sent this to Blaze last night since I flipped through Console Wars's photo section, but lol:

It's just amazing reading about how many times SoJ and SoA clashed.

There were other tidbits in there like how Yuji Naka was only getting paid $30K + bonuses, they didn't like that he wanted four members to his team instead of the usual three, and that he and his people weren't credited in Sonic the Hedgehog, so they had a black screen with black text with their names at the end.

There was even a page where Konami's American president said he was a born-again Christian, and that led to Dracula Demon Castle's rename as Castlevania and having some graphical changes in the NES game.

What's QCS? A report button/system?
A report button/system would be nice.

QCS = Questions, Comments and Suggestions board on Something Awful. It's what you think it is.

Sometimes I do feel odd posting Sonic-specific things when the thread is chatting about Final Fantasy XIII: Lighting Hates Your Face
The series is over now, so we don't have to talk about it. Thank God, anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure about this.
My brother called me the other day to tell me about his PS4 which he'd just bought, I asked him why he bought a PS4 since he already had an Xbox One and he said he got it because he heard Watch Dogs was going to be a higher resolution on the PS4. As far as I know my brother doesn't read about video games on the internet and I never really talk to him about them, he just gets a console to play Call of Duty, then Battlefield, then Titanfall with people he knows at work and I assume they are in the same or similar situations to him. So somehow all the hullabaloo about resolution got to him and either mattered enough to him or gave him the impression that it mattered enough to buy a new console instead of just settling for the Xbox One version.
It's like when Vinny talks about his family on the Bombcast and how some of them still think the Xbox One has all the online only DRM. Obviously not everything gets through to or matters to Joe Public, but it's surprising what does and then what important things don't.
Well, I did say 90%. Maybe the resolution thing is so big that bigger numbers = better. At least that's what we thought in the bits era (It's 32 bits now! Better than dat piddly 16 bits!). That's interesting.

I mean, I kinda don't care about the resolution because it's not a defining factor of a video game to me. I don't think I'll ever, ever understand why resolution is such a huge deal and a place to draw a battleground for a console battle at all.

So...

Who thinks we'll see a new Sonic Racing this year? First one was out 2010, Transformed was 2012... wouldn't surprise me to see another one this Christmas. Not sure if it'd be next-gen, mind.
That'd be going up against MK8 this year even if MK8's out this summer. :x

Village

So...

Out this year?

I dunno, next maybe.
Unless they are waiting on E3.

Yo, I only did green hill,

was i supposed to speed run the rest of the game?

Top Bottom