• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sciz

My cousins on one side of the family had a Genesis and an NES and an SNES, so our visits largely boiled down to plugging in SMW, Kirby's Adventure, or S3&K, all of which blew my mind. An eight hour drive doesn't make for a whole lot of visits though, so it wasn't until a few years later when an older cousin on the other side of the family gave me his Genesis with Sonic 1, 2, and Spinball that I got to put any real time into the series. Lots of fond memories of playing Sonic 2's MP mode with my sisters, and of being the first of us to get past that wretched Labyrinth boss. Picked up what was by then a "Mega Hit Series" edition of Sonic 3 in stores a while later, and bought S&K from some online dealer shortly thereafter.

That was the end point of my home console ownership until the Wii though, so in the years that followed I was all over Sonic R, CD, SA1, and Heroes for having PC editions. Installing Heroes on a PC with an actual GPU after playing it on an old-ass off the shelf system for a while was another mind blowing moment as I encountered shaders for the first time where there hadn't been any before.

So it's not that I ever really stopped playing the series, just that its availability to me has always been patchy, which had the upside of letting me dodge most of last decade's sketchier titles.

Read Sonic #260. Really good issue with a decent amount of world building. I love the designs of the new characters; they fit more with Sonic than most of the characters in the comic do.

In a weird inversion of recent trends, subscribers got this one up to a week early and the digital edition is late. *grumble grumble*

In a weird inversion of recent trends, subscribers got this one up to a week early and the digital edition is late. *grumble grumble*

I didn't know it was delayed until I noticed that it wasn't added to my library, so I just went to the Toys R' Us across the street from where I work and read it there. There used to be a Barnes and Noble in the opposite direction but it closed down.

(There are IRCs we use, yes. There is a SonicGAF room, technically, but... it's not exactly ours any more :V)
What do you mean by that? Outside of DBean and, like, one other person who learned of the chatroom through me instead of GAF proper (I have no idea what name she wants to be called by in this case), everyone there's from SonicGAF. It's just fairly empty most of the time!

What do you mean by that? Outside of DBean and, like, one other person who learned of the chatroom through me instead of GAF proper (I have no idea what name she wants to be called by in this case), everyone there's from SonicGAF. It's just fairly empty most of the time!

Eh, nosh said he wanted to rename it. I guess it's still technically a chatroom used primarily by SonicGAF. (And he's still technically SonicGAF whether he likes it or not.)

Eh, nosh said he wanted to rename it. I guess it's still technically a chatroom used primarily by SonicGAF. (And he's still technically SonicGAF whether he likes it or not.)

First I've heard about qq more wanting to rename the chatroom, although it is technically his so he's free to do whatever he wants with it. The problem is, like ShadowHog pointed, is that it's empty more often than not but it does have random spikes in activity. I'm usually in there, although not so much lately but that's mostly due to work. I am generally in the chat when I'm off, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was thinking of going into SonicGAF during E3 too. I haven't been in the chat for a very long time. Bean has told me that it's usually empty in there and no one talks as much as they used to last year when most of us were in there. I haven't been in there much due to various factors including school (and I busted my butt at school for good reason). He did say, however, that there were points where there's increased activity but apparently for the most part lately it's been quiet.

Last I spoke to qq was a few days ago when he'd requested to relinquish the Retron 5 thread, and he was in good spirits then. I'd said he was welcome to come back to the thread if he feels like returning to post on GAF one day.

This is the kind of Nocturne that Beef should've been posting in the first place.

BlackJace

Yeah qq needs to come on back.

First sonic experience was Adventure 1, I believe.
I know the opening movie like the back of my hand. Will never forget it.

Let's predict how successful Beef'll be at Mahvel :)

giantbombdickickersthvuiq1.gif

Anyone here wanna play the "The Hedgehog" game? The rules are simple. Google your first name, followed by "The Hedgehog." You will find multiple pieces of very edgy fanart. Ready? GO!!!

Village

What're you guys overall opinion on Knuckles Chaotix?

The game or the crew?

The game I thought was ok.

The crew I think should have a separate cart from knuckles in the next sanic transformed with a bunch of em in it.

Friggen scooby doo van.

Tizoc

The game or the crew?

The game I thought was ok.

The crew I think should have a separate cart from knuckles in the next sanic transformed with a bunch of em in it.

Friggen scooby doo van.

I meant the game and gameplay overall. It had some sweet graphics IMO but the gameplay hasn't managed to impress me.

Lots of great content and ideas let down by uniformly terrible level design.

Also the rubber band concept is a bad idea because invariably it means P2 is going to screw up a jump, or something. The only logical way to play that game is to just carry P2 everywhere, which makes the game a complete walk in the park because you are essentially invincible.

Back a page, but I wanted to add:

The differences in the backgrounds of the S3&K stages between Sonic and Knuckles' scenarios, indicating that Knuckles' scenario occurs after Sonic's. (Death Egg's absence in Lava Reef, the fact that the island is floating in Knuckles' scenario, etc.)

Also, that island in the background of the final boss fight is slowly drifting downward, and it takes just a little under 10 minutes to disappear off the bottom of the screen. (And at 10 minutes you Time Over like normal.)

Sciz

Also the rubber band concept is a bad idea because invariably it means P2 is going to screw up a jump, or something. The only logical way to play that game is to just carry P2 everywhere, which makes the game a complete walk in the park because you are essentially invincible.

Not like there are a lot of badniks around to begin with.

The execution of the rubber band certainly could've been better, but I hate to write it off entirely. Every once in a while it does click, and for a brief moment the designer's vision comes to life and you go screaming up a wall or soaring through the air.

And then there's all the times P2 gets caught under a ledge, yeah. Order of Ecclesia's Magnes glyph is probably the better way to go about that sort of gameplay.

Pretty much what Sciz and Sega1991 have said...boy that final boss was pretty easy.

I'll replay it once in a while, but yea, the gameplay and level designs were pretty weak. Everything outside of that I enjoyed though.

I never understand what the canon explanation was for the connected rings.
Beyond "we have an idea for a mechanic to mix up the gameplay, since we kinda exhausted all our best stuff for Sonic 3&K, but we don't want to directly sully the Sonic franchise's name if it doesn't pan out, so let's arbitrarily give it to Knuckles"... I honestly don't remember. Maybe it has something to do with how all the enemies drop gray rings when defeated instead of -cky animals?

I know the Japanese plot is really bizarre shit, while the US plot is "hey, here's this amusement park; Eggman's trying to undermine it because he's a big mean poopyhead; stop him; also Chaos Rings I guess I dunno".

Psxphile

My overall opinion is that it needs an overall remake. Gameplay was classic Sonic, marred by the tethering mechanic and stages that were huge but had very little substance or thought put into them. Rework those and maybe we might have a game worthy of being included with the pre-SA library.

Basically, I'm wondering what Taxman will tackle next after the inevitable S3&K port is done. The Chaotix special stages in 60fps, man...

Beyond "we have an idea for a mechanic to mix up the gameplay, since we kinda exhausted all our best stuff for Sonic 3&K, but we don't want to directly sully the Sonic franchise's name if it doesn't pan out, so let's arbitrarily give it to Knuckles"... I honestly don't remember. Maybe it has something to do with how all the enemies drop gray rings when defeated instead of -cky animals?

I know the Japanese plot is really bizarre shit, while the US plot is "hey, here's this amusement park; Eggman's trying to undermine it because he's a big mean poopyhead; stop him; also Chaos Rings I guess I dunno".

IT'S KNUCKLES' DUTY AS THE PARK SECURITY GUARD TO STOP HIM!

I think the Japanese story (which is basically after the events of S3&K) doesn't detail the reasons for the rubberband rings...though it does mention the grey rings being a part of an experiment. The Western version was just, Knuckles could use the rings to free the others captured.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Weird, awful level design. The ring idea could've been a neat thing, but it did run into a lot of problems.

It looks and sounds amazing. When I was a little girl, I used to be incredibly fascinated with going to the local Woolco with my parents and just looking at the 32X and Knuckles Chaotix in the glass case cuz I wanted one really badly.

Top Bottom