• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Falk

that puzzling face
It also released at 'that period' where indie darlings literally were put up on pedestals and their shortcomings pretty much overlooked just due to 'holy shit look at the production levels a small team can accomplish!'

It was definitely a great achievement for its time but I doubt it'll hold the same nostalgic pick-up-and-play-years-later pull that Transistor will have though. You probably need to have played it during that hype period.

Razzer

I haven't played Bastion, but the narrator thing seems like an interesting approach to making dynamic narratives that respond to the player, and innovation in any form is cool in my book. Whether that would be practical in games of a larger scale I dunno.

It's a technique that other games have seemed to try to emulate, so it has had a certain influence at least.

Something about stellar soundtrack, nice visuals, interesting storytelling approach and just okay gameplay.
Yeah I don't have anything to add to the Bastion pile that hasn't been said already.

I'm pretty sure I have an unredeemed Steam code for Bastion in my pms, along with a bunch of other shit including NiGHTS HD, SA 1+2 HD, and I think Sonic R/the Fighters HD. I really need to hurry up and move so I can get my laptop and use these.

AniHawk

If we did Colours, would you consider participating? :p
yeah, but i'd have to get my copy back from my sister first. not that it would be difficult.

omg, that makes me feel kinda old. Though, to be fair, Beef got me to start watching old Degrassi episodes from the 80s the other day, so I'm busy listening to 1980s pop and rock. Those Polaris tunes sound pretty good.

I ended up switching one of the radio stations in my car to a station that played 90s/early 2000s rock because I just realized that I couldn't listen to the majority of the music on the new rock station anymore because it isn't really rock, per se. I also switched to a station that played more 90s dance and hip-hop/rap, and it's going pretty well.

i never got into degrassi, but i guess that was always more of a candian thing. i also never watched the nick soap opera 'fifteen' until a few days ago and it is gloriously horrible- trying to be the things degrassi is remembered for and failing at it miserably. but at least it gave us ryan reynolds.

HUELEN10

It's technically the other way around, it's just that SSS #11 got delayed for three months.
Ah, gotcha. Still a pretty cool freebie to have I guess. I know I don't post much in the community thread, so I know I sometimes I am out of the loop.

Pietepiet

Some combat impressions from Transistor, cause Schala was asking about it on Twitter:

It's very fast. Basically how it works is you hit R2 to go into the tactical mode and you can walk around freely and plan actions while the enemies stand still. This drains a bar at the top of the screen with every action, so you only have a limited set of moves. After that, you hit R2 again and it'll execute your plan. Once executed, you have to wait for Transistor to recharge before you can plan your next moves, but during this you can still walk around and use the dash to stay out of harm's way. Planning ahead so you don't come out of the execution in the middle of a fight is preferable, cause it can be tough to get away sometimes.

You can also use attacks in real time without using the tactical mode, but this tends to end in taking more damage and usually I only do this for when an enemy has a little bit of health left and I don't feel like dealing with planning out my action just for that little bit.

HUELEN10

Well SonicGAF, stuff has come up that I just need to deal with, so I’ve asked for a temp ban. Just wanted to drop by since it’s thanks to you guys that I’m here in the first place. Can’t wait to get this over with so that I can be ready Schala’s Unleashed speed runs! (I’ll be doing it on Xbox 360) Later guys!

Double-post-but-who-gives-a-fuck:

New covers for the next arcs of Sonic and Sonic Universe. The Werehog finally makes its appearance and Shadow crosses paths with Knuckles. Also looks like the Sonic comics alongside Mega Man and New Crusaders are being put under a new label called the Archie Action series.

OZ6H0ZU.jpeg

I like how they're putting Knuckles and Shadow together given how they were both originally going to be in Unleashed; it's a nice touch.

Tizoc

New covers for the next arcs of Sonic and Sonic Universe. The Werehog finally makes its appearance and Shadow crosses paths with Knuckles. Also looks like the Sonic comics alongside Mega Man and New Crusaders are being put under a new label called the Archie Action series.

OZ6H0ZU.jpeg

I like how they're putting Knuckles and Shadow together given how they were both originally going to be in Unleashed; it's a nice touch.

...Is that
Snively with a beard?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Play Kero Blaster, you bros. I actually wrote stuff.

Some combat impressions from Transistor, cause Schala was asking about it on Twitter:

It's very fast. Basically how it works is you hit R2 to go into the tactical mode and you can walk around freely and plan actions while the enemies stand still. This drains a bar at the top of the screen with every action, so you only have a limited set of moves. After that, you hit R2 again and it'll execute your plan. Once executed, you have to wait for Transistor to recharge before you can plan your next moves, but during this you can still walk around and use the dash to stay out of harm's way. Planning ahead so you don't come out of the execution in the middle of a fight is preferable, cause it can be tough to get away sometimes.

You can also use attacks in real time without using the tactical mode, but this tends to end in taking more damage and usually I only do this for when an enemy has a little bit of health left and I don't feel like dealing with planning out my action just for that little bit.
So it's Grandia combined with Vagrant Story, kinda? From what I saw originally, I kinda thought it was geared towards more fluid ARPG mechanics, so I wasn't sure.

In fact, i think the first time I saw it, I thought it was an action-platformer through and through as opposed to an RPG. That's interesting.

Thanks for the impressions, pietepiet!

Well SonicGAF, stuff has come up that I just need to deal with, so I’ve asked for a temp ban. Just wanted to drop by since it’s thanks to you guys that I’m here in the first place. Can’t wait to get this over with so that I can be ready Schala’s Unleashed speed runs! (I’ll be doing it on Xbox 360) Later guys!
Temp bans are actually pretty welcoming and you end up getting more stuff done than you realize. Take care.

And yeah, Meccanical should've come back! He was also waiting for my Legaia thread. :/

I thought Bastion was great for it's visuals, soundtrack, and narration. It's gameplay was rather shallow and I find it easier to just watch it on a walkthrough video than bring myself to play it again. Same thing with Dust: An Elysian Tail. Beautiful visuals, fluid animations, pretty good soundtrack, and a pretty good amount of content... but the gameplay was shallow and really wore out its welcome by hour 12. I think that Bastion's relative brevity actually helped it: While the gameplay was shallow, it didn't hang around long enough to become that much of an issue for me. It worked for what it wanted to do. For Dust: it had 4 combos and the most effective way of playing the game is to spam Fidget's attack and most boss fights were either so chaotic you didn't know what was going on or you just spammed your way through. That isn't enough to hold up a 12 to 15 hour game. Then again, I do have to give Kudos to the one guy who basically made the game by himself.

This is the first I've ever heard this. Where'd you get that info?

Eh? This is a pretty well-known rumor, I thought. I think it's a reason why they're both randomly name-dropped during that quiz, when the game otherwise seems to pretend they don't exist.

They were supposed to be skin swaps, or modified alternate characters, but they couldn't make Knuckles look right with the Werehog's moves, I think it went.

Sciz

Eh? This is a pretty well-known rumor, I thought. I think it's a reason why they're both randomly name-dropped during that quiz, when the game otherwise seems to pretend they don't exist.

There's a lot of fan-focused content packed into the quiz questions, all the way up to referencing the old "Tails is a girl" joke. Doesn't mean anything.

Definitely a [citation needed] on them being playable in any form.

They were supposed to be skin swaps, or modified alternate characters, but they couldn't make Knuckles look right with the Werehog's moves, I think it went.

I'm not sure how much I buy in to that. Some of that sounds like wishful thinking from fans. What I remember is from the IGN devblog they had where it was mentioned that the director resisted the idea of the Werehog until he eventually warmed up to it enough to include it. It took a lot of convincing, but he was eventually sold on it being a way to easily re-use assets to make more content, since the biggest drain on resources for Unleashed was how big levels had to be for content that was often on screen for only a couple seconds max.

There's a lot of fan-focused content packed into the quiz questions, all the way up to referencing the old "Tails is a girl" joke. Doesn't mean anything.

Definitely a [citation needed] on them being playable in any form.
Only quoting what I remembered of the rumor, didn't say I believe it, necessarily. I think the thing is Shadow and Knuckles are the only two other characters referenced, but not seen.

Didn't see anything about it on Sonic Retro, either way.

Tizoc

I'll get Kero Blaster when its on Steam.

Played a little of Wolfenstein 2014, graphics are OK but not worth the 40/50 GB. Cutscenes are 30 FPS on PC @_@
Hopefully NVidia updates with drivers,etc. of this game so it can optimize it for me for best performance @ 60 FPS.

I am loving killing Nazis with dual wielding weapons, giving 0 fucks to ammo and joyfully slaughtering these fools.

So according to a recent Find the Computer Room podcast with Ian Flynn, Ian
tried to be a writer for Sonic Colours

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

EDIT: ...and other stuff, not sure all of these were 100% accurate:

*Still has plans for the Underground epilogue and hopes it'll still happen.

*Lost Hedgehog Tales is done but needs proofreading.

*Is both happy and upset because of the reboot.

*Isn't sure whether or not Boom will get its own spin-off book or arc in Universe yet.

*Wants to explain how certain game events happened in the new universe (Shadow noted specifically).

*Lost World's adaptation didn't explain anything because he was only shown the cutscenes up until the Zeti attacked.

*Thinks Lost World was a tech demo for the new engine.

TimmiT

I remember people thinking that they should have just used Knuckles for the Werehog stages instead of creating the Werehog, but I don't remember there ever being a rumor of Knuckles and Shadow being in Unleashed.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking about this but can they use Shard in the comics now? He was awesome and I can see them making a new origin for him.

I remember people thinking that they should have just used Knuckles for the Werehog stages instead of creating the Werehog, but I don't remember there ever being a rumor of Knuckles and Shadow being in Unleashed.

Knuckles replacing Werehog is something I've been saying for years.

Sciz

Sorry for asking about this but can they use Shard in the comics now? He was awesome and I can see them making a new origin for him.

Should be fine, since he's technically the Metal Sonic from Sonic CD. The problem cited for him was that Sega only wanted a single Metal Sonic running around, but last we heard they'd talked around it by calling him a Mecha Sonic, which is obviously completely different. Justifying why he'd still exist and be such a wiseacre is the bigger problem now.

Tizoc

Should be fine, since he's technically the Metal Sonic from Sonic CD. The problem cited for him was that Sega only wanted a single Metal Sonic running around, but last we heard they'd talked around it by calling him a Mecha Sonic, which is obviously completely different. Justifying why he'd still exist and be such a wiseacre is the bigger problem now.

Yeah Mecha and Metal are 2 different characters.

Speaking of which in Japan, Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 is referred to as Mecha Sonic right? Would that make it the prototype of the one in 3&K?

Village

OZ6H0ZU.jpeg

Oh thats neat

5 bucks says the fight is inconclusive and they team up to beat something else up.

Village

Whats a good or fun lets play of a good game do u recommend watching when having a meal?

look up, The two best friends playing any david cage game. ( so look up best friends play indigo prophecy, beyond two souls, ect.. )

Pick any episode and start.

Enjoy

Regiruler

I keep deleting the graphicsconfig for Generations and it keeps telling me that the configuration doesn't match. What is this bullshit.

PKrockin

How about a good or fun LP of a bad game?
Man, Diabetus is just at the top of his game in this one. And you can tell slowbeef actually likes the game but doesn't really want to admit it. lol

As fars as current LPs of good games, Mario 3 by Psychedelic Eyeball and Mario Galaxy 2 by Diabetus are pretty chill, fun LPs that just finished/are finishing soon. The other good ones I'm thinking of need you to pay more attention like Uncharted 3 by ChipCheezum and Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup by Hito.

Top Bottom