• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Village

I like a lot of weird enemies.

Borderlands 2 has a lot of weird stuff, especially in its DLC.

Edit: Oh goodness I'm just a top of the page machine today.

That actually kinda is a problem with some shooters, I'd imagine. The good ones mix it up more than that, but, well, I like more-varied bestiaries a la Doom.

But that's Doom. Not every game is going to be quite as out there as Doom is. Gears of War is still firmly entrenched in the realm of scifi/fantasy, but even it's a bit more metered in places than Doom was.

Sometimes you're going to have a first person shooter where the only variance is "This soldier is carrying a sniper rifle instead of a shotgun."

And that's okay, to some degree.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's completely within the realm of possibility that the variance in enemy types were completely overlooked due to being superficial.

Which is in itself problematic in a different way.

But like you said, some shooters pull it off, others thrive on more variety. It's one of the reasons military shooters that manage to switch things up significantly despite 'all enemies are human lol' are pretty commendable in my book.

There are plenty of enemy types in the Gears series as it went on. They build entire modes like Horde around trying to combat various enemy combinations, which I think speaks to the strength of their versatility and variety.

Village

Sonic related,

Next sonic racing needs to fix its unlock system. I don't know why they moved away from the story system in the last game. But while I worked through it, and enjoyed it , i feel like Sonic Transformed unlock system might be daunting or offputting to people.The last game you just bought whoever or whatever in the story. In this game, to get the mod for Ages, you have to do an absurd amount of challenges. Yeah Sure, I'm gonna do it. But everyone isn't me, I'm not saying make the game as a whole easier, but make access to all base content easier to get to . I feel like these types of racing games are a bit more casual than say... a regular racing game. And making go through this whole weird unlock progression with stars to unlock stuff in the base game.Whereas the last game just rewarded you for just racing,For just playing the game, it gave you the things to unlock stuff with .

So what should they do in place of the star system, I think there should be more things to unlock. And like the first games system that just costs " money " it increases in price but this time a but load. Music, levels, Characters, Cart types, whatever, reward the player for just playing the base game. Maybe the career mode can be a way to unlock extra money, or one weird thing but don't make the main venue for unlockables.

And this last point brings me to my next one, next sanic racing I feel needs multiple car types. I feel like thats the progression at this point, I feel as though they should have figured out some way to balance bikes by now. From what I remember the reasoning was that bikes were hard to hit. Now while I understand in the air, and on sea, I would argue EVERYTHING is harder to hit in the air on the sea. I have played so many online games, and have yet to actually be hit by something in the air. Thats hard to aim.
Yes, the bikes in the first game had wheelie boosts, but what you do is give the cars and advantage the bikes do not have. Really push the point of it being a car and that being a bike. For example, cars should be knocking bikes around, cars should be WAY better at drifting than bikes should, cars have way better boosts than bike should. Or maybe do a mario kart where as the bikes do not the wheelies anymore, but they could have the smaller hitbox still. And just to go back to the point of having multiple types of vehicles, I'm not gonna assume its easy, design is hard work. I know that shit first hand , but i feel it would be worth it in the long run. And add a lot f cool content to the game.
.. And if you wanna make an extra few bucks you can sell new types of cars for some characters as DLC. Be like " hey.... you want that sonic adventure 2 rouge car for shadow but redesigned a bit , toss a few bucks over here and we'll get you one of those"

Anyways that's my... unintelligible rambling.

Anth0ny

You're being a bit extreme.

Gears of War are not revolutionary games, but like, your complaint about not enough enemy variety? Well, you're... kind of fighting against a species. So it's like playing any other shooter and being like "UGH ALL YOU DO IS FIGHT HUMANS"

I don't know. From what I've played, I think there's potential for a lot more variety in the enemy design

I have different expectations going into a shooter with human enemies and a shooter with sci-fi/fantasy elements. I expect cool looking monsters in a game like Gears of War. As someone already mentioned, if games like Doom and Borderlands can pull that off, why not Gears of War?
So, like, yeah? All you do is fight the Locust. But there's like, 13 different classes of Locust drone, each one with different weapons and attack strategies.

Then there's 4 different classes of Theron Guards, which are smarter, faster, and usually change dynamics by acting as a commander for drone squads.

Are there really? I didn't notice different "classes" at all. Then again, I spent the majority of the game behind cover, poking my head up to headshot enemies. I may have missed some of the nuances with each class.

On top of that are Locust "Boomers", which are big ten foot tall assholes with heavy weaponry. Walking tanks, basically.

If you want to get away from generic Locust soldiers, then there's the Berzerkers, Brumaks, Wretches, Corpsers, Hydras, Seeders, Bloodmounts, Tickers, Shriekers, the Serapede...

Like, I am not super crazy about Gears of War or anything (I bought the third one when it was on sale a couple months ago, haven't felt like starting it), but you're saying things that are straight up lies.

I was obviously exaggerating in my last post, but if I had to guess, Gears 1 and 2 were made up of:

-90% generic Locust dude
-5% little guys who made weird noises and die in one or two shots (wretches and tickers?)
-2.5% big bullet sponge guys with strong guns (Boomers?)
-2.5% HUGE monsters. Like Brumaks or those things that die from that gun that shoots a magic beam from the sky.

I haven't played Gears 3 yet, so maybe there's a bit more variety in that one... but my main problem with the game is you could probably interchange the first chapter of Gears 1 with the third chapter of Gears 2 and I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Same looking environments, same exact enemies/designs, same difficulty... just too fucking samey. It was like a breath of fresh air when I reached the Hive in Gears 2, followed by the swamp-like setting close to the end of the game. I'd like more of that!

Again, lots of potential, but the final product comes off as lazy. I'm actually intrigued by the upcoming Gears on Xbox One, maybe they'll touch on some of the issued I have with the games.

Or maybe they're just not for me ^_^

Rw6DUY1.jpg

PKrockin

Shouldn't "Wow" be bolded instead of "Sonic"? What's the deal with comic books doing this, anyway? It's annoying and I always read bold with way more emphasis than is intended. Is it because italics are reserved for thoughts or something?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shouldn't "Wow" be bolded instead of "Sonic"? What's the deal with comic books doing this, anyway? It's annoying and I always read bold with way more emphasis than is intended. Is it because italics are reserved for thoughts or something?
It's bolding specific phrases to call attention to the book's actual cover. :p

"Sonic Super Digest"

It's stupid, but that kinda makes sense.

Halo 4 really is the FF13 of this particular franchise

I pray to baby black Jesus that the Halo 2 HD rumors are true and the multiplayer is coming back. To keep this poor, Nocturowl-quality metaphor going, it be like FF7 finally getting that HD remake.

Village

Halo 4 really is the FF13 of this particular franchise

I pray to baby black Jesus that the Halo 2 HD rumors are true and the multiplayer is coming back. To keep this poor, Nocturowl-quality metaphor going, it be like FF7 finally getting that HD remake.

One, halo 4 wasn't that bad, storywise. And to its story's credit, and I actually cared somewhat about its characters. EVEN THOUGH, i shouldn't even be playing as master chief at this point, they reinstated the spartan program, let me be my own create a person and go from there. The narrative in halo was self insert most of the time anyway, so aside from the occasional choice, nothing would really change much, except investment.

As for the 2nd metaphor,
halo 2 is ff6
halo 3 is ff7

Draw your on conclusions on what that statement means.

TheOGB

Banned
Wasn't there a 90s CG cartoon with a blue or purple dude with cornrows (think someone on GAF might even have it as an avatar)

that looks exactly like it

Falk

that puzzling face
I think Penders has succesfully niched out his own art style, encompassing everything from font choice to vocabulary to shading that subconsciously speaks to people.

PKrockin

"Mykhal Taelor"? Are we sure Ken Penders isn't a teen girl with a pseudonym? I can't imagine a grown man thinking that's cool. But I guess that goes for all his original work.

Nice Mega Man arms, by the way.

PKRockin...
*laugh track*

It's bolding specific phrases to call attention to the book's actual cover. :p

"Sonic Super Digest"

It's stupid, but that kinda makes sense.
lol, is that why? I don't think a joke so forced needs any explaining like that.

Village

Not too fond of the sonic model and that logo color.

It's that time again.

taelor_promo_art_resiwsq56.jpg

Oh lets whats happening in the Ken Penders, fearing for his sanity times.

Well that looks normal, the models kinda bad. But its normal. That model looks terrible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NuMarine looks exactly like an extreme version of Marine.

Sonic Boom team is just as original as people making "new" NeoGAF discussion threads.

Sciz

Honestly, this one is normal-looking enough that I find it hard to freak out over it.

Unlike Lien-Da and her bizarre facial anatomy.

The model itself isn't terrifying, but

-His creative vision of space is, much like Hollywood's, a park in Southern California
-Recolored teal
-CMDR MIKAEL MYKHAL TAELOR towers over it, giving the impression of being a giant
-Feet are hard
-CMDR MYKHAL TAYLOR is being lit from a different direction than the terrain
-The planet is lit from yet another direction
-Space just doesn't look enough like space without having gigantic stars painted in with the default Photoshop brush (edit: in the spirit of fairness, those are the fault of the background's original artist)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jesus Christ.

I originally thought Sonic Boom would be a good idea for the kids, and it certainly can be. It isn't really something for us and hence I don't complain much about it. If kids like it, that's fine. But at this point, I don't see myself investing into anything with respect to Sonic Boom unless I'm asked to get the game to play it for my brother or watch episodes of the series with him while I'm babysitting him.

It's just funny to see how the character design and potential character personalities get kicked around over here. Knuckles missed leg day, Amy is probably the yin to NuMarine's yang, Tails is Tails (oddly enough), Sonic is Nathan Drake, and NuMarine's a super-wacky badger.

But yeah, since it isn't a SoJ joint, I'm not super-miffed about it.

Well... I could see "jungle badger" being changed in the US because omfg no one thought twice about that. >.>

Sonic missed the lighting in that shot. Something's gone terribly wrong with his head, too.

Combination of it being too small, his quills being too pulled back, and the scarf making it look like he had a rather long neck.

It's actually kinda funny, since when comparing the 2D artwork in comparison to the 3D models of Modern!Sonic, you can notice that his head is noticeably bigger in 3D, while Boom!Sonic seems to have the same headsize of Modern!Sonic's 2D artwork.

TheOGB

Banned
I could immediately tell Sticks was played by Nika Futterman because she sounds like a bootleg Cree Summer
I like Futterman but I can't help but think this about most of her roles

Tizoc

So, someone fill me in: Who is this "Jungle Badger" (seriously?), who is that spaceman, and why are we hating Sonic Boom now?

This is the usual nitpicking before the game's release.

Jungle Badger is their re-imaging of Marine. She's prob. Marine's long lost sister or something.

Top Bottom