• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Been playing Dragon Quest 7 3DS. Game looks and sounds good. Weird changes from the PS1 release here and there, where they took out the intro dungeon and changed some characters/quest around, but it's alright so far.

Framerate dips on the world map, though.

Also been playing Kirby: Return to Dream Land and Kirby Super Star Ultra because I'm in a Kirby mood.

reverse sonic cycle? Preemptively destroy your dreams and expectations so maybe you'll get a "hey this is actually pretty mediocre!" experience? Sounds like a plan, Tizoc
lol

Marine a comic character?

And they named a black man... "Jungle Badger"? Seriously?
Marine was a character in Sonic Rush Adventure.

BlackJace

Been playing Dragon Quest 7 3DS. Game looks and sounds good. Weird changes from the PS1 release here and there, where they took out the intro dungeon and changed some characters/quest around, but it's alright so far.

Framerate dips on the world map, though.

Also been playing Kirby: Return to Dream Land and Kirby Super Star Ultra because I'm in a Kirby mood.

No Squeak Squad, eh?

good

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was planning on playing through Squeak Squad at some point, yeah.

I started a new game of Epic Yarn to capture stuff, but I'm not sure if I'll follow-through with a full playthrough.

It'll probably be alright. I think it's probably gonna be more kiddy oriented than we'd like, them trying to rebrand sonic to younger kids and all.
That's pretty much the idea considering it's a show and game combined. Kids'll probably dig it.

I can't even remember specifically why Squeak Squad was so disliked (I think?), I mean outside of the unfortunate NoE renaming of Mouse Attack which then sounds similar to the following Mass Attack on the same console no less.
It had Animal Kirby so I'm sure it was worth something as that's a top tier copy ability right there, carrying over the Kirby colouring from amazing mirror and the little race bits against the Squeak Squad were kinda neat.
Maybe I cut it slack since I just borrowed it instead of buying it myself and being more irked by its by the numbers design.

Oh I can actually talk about something relevant to Sonic in this post, I can say that Sticks existence doesn't bother me in the slightest, well not yet at least.
Okay so I don't really have anything to say about it or Boom in general as it stands right now, perhaps reverse cycle is right on the money.

FSLink

Banned
Epic Yarn is really cute. Probably my favorite relaxing game. Squeak Squad sucks. Amazing Mirror too. :mad: I don't feel they're terrible games or anything but as Kirby games they just fell flat to me at the time of their release. It's been awhile though, I completely forgot about Animal Kirby.

I might pick up DQ7 3DS later on. Just picked up a mint 3DS LL (with EX Troopers and a JPN copy of Pokemon X to complement my US Pokemon Y). But I'm still holding onto delusional hope that it'll be announced for localization.

Sticks' voice is pretty annoying sounding. But at least her design/character concept seem fine for the kind of childish tone they're going for. It's surprisingly not as terribad as I was expecting.

I can't even remember specifically why Squeak Squad was so disliked (I think?), I mean outside of the unfortunate NoE renaming of Mouse Attack which then sounds similar to the following Mass Attack on the same console no less.
It had Animal Kirby so I'm sure it was worth something as that's a top tier copy ability right there, carrying over the Kirby colouring from amazing mirror and the little race bits against the Squeak Squad were kinda neat.
Maybe I cut it slack since I just borrowed it instead of buying it myself and being more irked by its by the numbers design.

Oh I can actually talk about something relevant to Sonic in this post, I can say that Sticks existence doesn't bother me in the slightest, well not yet at least.
Okay so I don't really have anything to say about it or Boom in general as it stands right now, perhaps reverse cycle is right on the money.

Squeak Squad is super-short.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I haven't played Amazing Mirror or Nightmare in Dream Land before, so I'm not sure what to expect out of those. I have Amazing Mirror as an Ambassador game, but haven't touched it yet.

Epic Yarn's one of my favourites. But sometimes you're struck with dilemmas.

IwKdt2S.png

Do I, or don't I?

@FSLink : do say what you think of EX Troopers when you get to it. I haven't heard much about it.

The black guy is Ken Penders latest creation, MYKHAL TAELOR.
HAHAHAHAHA. I can't believe I missed that shit.

If you've played Kirby's Adventure, then you've played Nightmare in Dreamland. IIRC the only significant changes are updated graphics and Metaknight Mode.

Still fun though, don't get me wrong.

BlackJace

I don't know, something felt off with SS. Not only was it too short, short for even a Kirby game, but the also levels seemed dull and wholly centered on the one or two sections per level that had the treasure chests, specifically the rare ones. Gamble Galaxy levels 1 and 2 were hype though.

Overall, a rather forgettable experience, in my opinion.

Epic Yarn's one of my favourites. But sometimes you're struck with dilemmas.

Do I, or don't I?
Awww, I never noticed the heart shape, I was far too busy crushing the pair to mushy fibres while pilfering the precious beads for my score.

If you've played Kirby's Adventure, then you've played Nightmare in Dreamland. IIRC the only significant changes are updated graphics and Metaknight Mode.

Still fun though, don't get me wrong.
I see your point but the small upgrades just make it more enjoyable to play in general, no more frame rate drops and more refined gameplay on the whole, tasty.
Also the unsung hero of a mode, co-op boss rush, I mean I must be in a pretty niche group of people who had someone they could actually play co-op with here complete with link cables but regardless it was pretty fun.

I don't know, something felt off with SS. Not only was it too short, short for even a Kirby game, but the also levels seemed dull and wholly centered on the one or two sections per level that had the treasure chests, specifically the rare ones. Gamble Galaxy levels 1 and 2 were hype though.

Overall, a rather forgettable experience, in my opinion.

It must be pretty forgettable because I can't recall much at all about the level design, there was that novelty of certain elements affecting areas of a level like electricity channelling across metal surfaces and mixing and matching a select few items like a low budget Kirby 64.

The soundtrack was like 90% remixes, there was this though, probably turns out it's a remix as well or something.

Sciz

Squeak Squad's new ideas aren't interesting or used well and it executes the core Kirby gameplay worse than most other entries.

I didn't spend too much time with it but I didn't really like what I played of Amazing Mirror. The implementation of the open world-ish framework in the game just doesn't work.

Okay, reading up on Ken Penders, I came across his character Lara-su (really? Really?) and this... summary

Lara-Su was Knuckles's and Julie-Su's daughter from the alternate future timeline known as Light Mobius. She was initially at odds with her father, who refused to allow her to become a Guardian. Eventually, he relented however, only for that future to be warped almost beyond recognition by an alteration of history from King Sonic. Lara-Su and a few others recalled the rightful timeline, and together fought the despotic King Shadow. Lara-Su herself ended the fight by imprisoning him with Chaos Control. Serving as a Guardian for five years, she also became a member of the Future Freedom Fighters when Shadow returned.

This honestly reads like every bad fan fiction out there. And then the Echyd'nya stuff, and then the lawsuit stuff...

What. The. Fuck.

Sciz

I didn't spend too much time with it but I didn't really like what I played of Amazing Mirror. The implementation of the open world-ish framework in the game just doesn't work.

It's the combination of requiring specific powers to get through certain paths and the occasional one-way passage that kills it for me. And again, the new content doesn't stack up to KSS or KA all that well.

Flagship never got a good handle on Kirby the way they did Zelda.

Okay, reading up on Ken Penders, I came across his character Lara-su (really? Really?) and this... summary

This honestly reads like every bad fan fiction out there. And then the Echyd'nya stuff, and then the lawsuit stuff...

What. The. Fuck.

You're still only scraping the surface of the madness that is Penders.

PKrockin

It's the combination of requiring specific powers to get through certain paths and the occasional one-way passage that kills it for me. And again, the new content doesn't stack up to KSS or KA all that well.
Pretty much this and I found the map confusing. I couldn't look at the map and go "this square is the giant tree, and this square is the hallway with the blocks that need the fire power". I would just see that there's a path I haven't been to over here, so I'd go head off having no memory of what's there, what power I need to bring beforehand or sometimes even what door will move me in the right direction on the map to the new area. It was The Great Cave Offensive except not fun. It's a shame because I wanted to love it.

OMG Aero

I liked Amazing Mirror because it was basically a Kirby Metroidvania and you could call in your Kirby buds at any time to help you out get in the way and take your power when you lose yours. You need to go into it thinking of it as one of the experimental Kirby games though like Epic Yarn or Canvas Curse rather than one of the core platformers because it's really just an expanded version of Great Cave Offensive.

I can't really remember too much of Squeak Squad, good or bad, it was just a mediocre Kirby game and nothing really stood out about it. The only thing I actually remember about that game is the story because Kirby is straight up a jerk in it and all the enemies are actually trying to stop him from unleashing the final boss.

Sciz

I can't really remember too much of Squeak Squad, good or bad, it was just a mediocre Kirby game and nothing really stood out about it. The only thing I actually remember about that game is the story because Kirby is straight up a jerk in it and all the enemies are actually trying to stop him from unleashing the final boss.

Even the plot's rehashed, christ.

OMG Aero

Even the plot's rehashed, christ.
Well yeah "the bad guy was actually good all along and you just misunderstood" is like the plot of half the Kirby games but Squeak Squad takes it to the next degree, like the first boss fight is against King Dedede who Kirby beats up because he thinks he stole his cake when in actuality Dedede didn't do anything and doesn't appear for the rest of the game because he has absolutely nothing to do with anything that's going on.

I love that Kirby just goes to Dedede's Castle and beats the tar out of him under the assumption that he might've possibly been the guy who stole Kirby's one slice of cake and in this case he really hadn't done anything at all, the hero of dreamland everybody.

edit: Well this post is now a rehash as well.

I recall picking up Amazing Mirror, cartridge-only, as something to dick around with in my GBA to kill time. Thing is, I picked up another Metroidvania at the exact same time, having heard good things, and wound up liking that one a lot more for various reasons.

Incidentally, Aria of Sorrow was also my first taste of SotN-styled Castlevania games. Good game to start with, if you ask me.

I recently ran through it, and, well, yeah, it definitely has its moments.

Like the part where I clipped underneath the lava/molten iron, somehow. That sure was a moment.

Incidentally, Aria of Sorrow was also my first taste of SotN-styled Castlevania games. Good game to start with, if you ask me.

Dawn of Sorrow was mine. It cost me $79.95 because RRP for Nintendo handheld games here at the time was $69.95 but Konami was putting an extra tenner on some of their releases at that point for whatever reason.

I got my money's worth.

Been playing Dragon Quest 7 3DS.

omg

schala

how could you play this and not let me in on it :((((((((((((

Dawn of Sorrow was mine. It cost me $79.95 because RRP for Nintendo handheld games here at the time was $69.95 but Konami was putting an extra tenner on some of their releases at that point for whatever reason.

I got my money's worth.

Circle of the Moon was my first Metroidvania. And it's great.

Village

3 things

1) I really liked squek squad D:. I really liked the levels and I found the gameplay to be super fun, I also liked the combination abilities. Still never figured out what that ghost thing was about though. Really really liked the levels and the artwork in that game

2) Anyone notice the new sonic issues have archie action labels on them? Or am I just super late on this.

3) Rise of the Incarnates stuff is happening. Got me thinking, would you play a sonic themed arena battler?

AniHawk

god dammit i am being an asshole today. it's been kind of entertaining though, this twisting, winding road. and i have learned a lot more than i thought i would about games and copyright and trademarks. that holds value.

on the games side, i finally got into the first advance wars through the wii u. it's been time since dual strike and days of ruin, which i felt were a lot easier and faster to get into.

Tizoc

How many here have played Starfy? It's among the easiest platformers/adventure games ever but god it's so cute and fun to blast through so long as you play in short bursts.

Maybe it's me getting older and maybe it's touch controls but metropolis zone is way harder then I remember.

Metropolis has always been hard. Playing it with Touch Controls doesn't help either.

My first foray into the Castlevania games was Harmony of Dissonance on GBA. I liked it *shrugs*

-Space just doesn't look enough like space without having gigantic stars painted in with the default Photoshop brush (edit: in the spirit of fairness, those are the fault of the background's original artist)

I love the fact that he threw such a fit about owning his fanfiction characters and having the rights to them, and one of the first things he puts out steals content from elsewhere.

I'm guessing, or hoping "MYKHAL TAELOR" is "Oh the aliens misheard his name and don't know how to write it properly, so that's what he ends up being known as."

Edit: According to this thread, I have an extra key for SSFIVAE to give away. The people I checked already have it, so since SonicGAF is cool sweet & catchy, I thought I'd give it away here instead of in the other thread. I guess first to PM me gets it, although post here if you do PM.

Note that it will work on Steam, will possibly show as "Taken" on GFWL tonight, but when it switches over to SteamWorks tomorrow, it should all be fine. If not, worth a shot.

Tizoc

As much as I'd like to have USF4 on Steam I'd rarely play online and would mostly play offline with my brothers and friends if they visit.

Really interested in trying out the various possible combos now though, but gotta wait til August to get the EU ver. =_=

Tizoc

Summer is kicking ass already; 40-48C since 7 AM and even past sunset (7 PM), you guys all be safe during this period.

Tizoc

The latest Megaman issue was good
loved Zero's characterization...it's like X is Ryu and Zero is Ken lol.
Also, Brightman!

I'll actually get around to adding some Sonic Gaffers this time around, don't be alarmed when Nocturnowl is outside your friend list window, let him in and regret your decision later.

My move is to check my current versus record against you...
At the time of this post it's 6-1 to me, take that!

But dammit I had to mark out for that green shell evade there, for that one moment I was in awe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably not going to get MK8. Saw some footage and it got me kinda nauseous. :/

My (Wii U/North American) NNID is SchalaAsha, though. My JP 3DS one is SchalaAshaJP.
---

Let's all pray for our bro Professor Beef, for he can no longer (and super-regrettably) have Popeyes chicken. :(

;~;

Top Bottom