• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm kinda guessing that although Pokecapn and co are doing an LP right now, no one really cares since they haven't done an LP in so long, thus the thread is super-barren in comparison to the FF13-2 and FSA LPs. Even when I tried to periodically update it with other people's LPs, the thread title hurt it, I guess.

Maybe I should just retire the thread.

Rikkun

10171676_10152406538807418_3569463778213730165_n.jpg

Would Beef drive this?

PS: I got back my Generations, I guess I'm late for the challenge?

I'm kinda guessing that although Pokecapn and co are doing an LP right now, no one really cares since they haven't done an LP in so long, thus the thread is super-barren in comparison to the FF13-2 and FSA LPs. Even when I tried to periodically update it with other people's LPs, the thread title hurt it, I guess.

Maybe I should just retire the thread.
I think rebooting the thread to more accurately reflect the catch-all LPing thread it's become would be the better move.

Wolfenstein was damn good. If you have any interest in shooting Nazis in the face, you can do a hell of a lot worse. Also, if you want to shoot Nazis in the face and be surrounded by surprisingly well-animated/well-written/nicely vocal-mocap performed supporting cast, this is pretty much the only game for your oddly specific taste, ya weirdo.

OMG Aero

I was actually going to post a list of the LPs I'm following at the moment in that thread but decided not to because I figured no-one would care since it's mainly a Pokcapn/Retsuprae thread.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was always thinking of just renaming the thread the "SA Video LP thread" instead, since that's basically what it is with some exceptions.

If anyone else has alternate titles, feel free to list them and I'll PM EmCee about it.

Aero, feel free to list LPs that you're following at the moment in the thread. Really.

PS: I got back my Generations, I guess I'm late for the challenge?
Yeah, we're doing Unleashed sometime in late June/July depending on scheduling. I've actually been busy all week so scheduling Unleashed has been the last thing on my mind.

(We have an election season here and I'm a polling clerk so I've been running around rescheduling stuff and also going to the gym. So, yeah, last thing on my mind, but the weekend's here).

Wolfenstein was damn good. If you have any interest in shooting Nazis in the face, you can do a hell of a lot worse. Also, if you want to shoot Nazis in the face and be surrounded by surprisingly well-animated/well-written/nicely vocal-mocap performed supporting cast, this is pretty much the only game for your oddly specific taste, ya weirdo.
So it's better than the other Wolfenstein game released on PS360, then?

looks more like a ride for Village

Schala: I'm watching the LP, but it's pretty slow so far. I don't really have a lot to say about it. :x
Take care cuz the game doesn't change. Some of y'all thought I was exaggerating when I was playing it.

How can I focus on all those impressions with that 8/10 score staring me in the face at the bottom, it's all that matters!

Tizoc

The 2009 Wolfenstein was actually pretty great, from what I'd heard, just kind of under-the-radar.

And of course, it's no longer on Steam to verify for myself, because licensing!

IIRC, it's in regards to how badly Wolfenstein 2009 performed that Acti won't go into an agreement unless it gets a lot out of it.

...but Wolfenstein 2009 is indeed great, loved killing Nazis in that game and the feel of the guns was superb. Also Plasma Gun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SovanJedi said that if you guys had any WIPs for the Recreate your Favourite Gaming Moments with MS Paint: The Glorious Return thread, you should go ahead and post them!

Second, I tried to revive the GAF reviews thread with poor results, haha. I shouldn't have bumped it so early in the morning, so I'm working on a Kirby Triple Deluxe review. People want more meaningful content on GAF instead of resolution wars? Well, here's an attempt at a solution.

Shitty attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.

How can I focus on all those impressions with that 8/10 score staring me in the face at the bottom, it's all that matters!
8/10?

Inferior product that should be ashamed of its existence. Either that, or the reviewer wants to stick it to the publisher by assigning it a bad score!

SovanJedi said that if you guys had any WIPs for the Recreate your Favourite Gaming Moments with MS Paint: The Glorious Return thread, you should go ahead and post them!
I only had more ideas but it is tempting to follow up on one.
Based upon what someone said earlier in this thread it could be fun to enforce a 10 minute timer on my doodle to ensure that trademark MS paint quality.

Second, I tried to revive the GAF reviews thread with poor results, haha. I shouldn't have bumped it so early in the morning, so I'm working on a Kirby Triple Deluxe review. People want more meaningful content on GAF instead of resolution wars? Well, here's an attempt at a solution.

Shitty attempt, but an attempt nonetheless.
Back when this whole quality of gaming side kerfuffle popped up in the previous thread this angle was something of a likely naive solution in my mind and I had a bunch of thread ideas or posts to make. Now months later I haven't really backed myself up on this outside of one whole lttp thread, tomes are tough!

In fact I'm still sitting on some various bits and pieces, it's talk like this that's gonna get me to actually open the vault and dig some out, since you've tried to resurrect the gaf user reviews thread which is something I approve of I might throw in something myself that I never got around to posting earlier this year.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's a very nice sounding hi-hat.

What, I'm trying to find something nice to say get off me

Rikkun

Yeah, we're doing Unleashed sometime in late June/July depending on scheduling. I've actually been busy all week so scheduling Unleashed has been the last thing on my mind.

(We have an election season here and I'm a polling clerk so I've been running around rescheduling stuff and also going to the gym. So, yeah, last thing on my mind, but the weekend's here).
Gah.
But I only rented Unleashed. Schala please.

Anth0ny

I've been going through my backlog and I just played through both Gears of War 1 and 2, back to back.

God damn are these games mediocre as fuck. Awful character design, incredibly boring and generic story, weak voice acting (Bender as Marcus Fenix is pretty awesome though), terrible art direction (I know it's become a meme, but these games are seriously 90% grey), and worst of all, the games are just repetitive as fuck. Besides the obvious cover-based gunplay that consists of the great majority of each game, you find yourself... defending your robot buddy when he's trying to open a door, shooting enemies that spawn from a hole... and that's about the extent of them mixing up the gameplay.

Neither game really "ramps up". You shoot at the same exact enemies from the first 5 minutes in Gears 1 all the way to the finale of Gears 2. It's just this guy:

gruntdiuzb.jpg

times a billion. from beginning to end. There is no difficulty curve, because the enemies don't get any harder. IT'S THE SAME GUY ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

It especially baffles me that the sequel changed literally fuck all. It's just more stages. Your movement is identical, the guns are all the same, the levels are indistinguishable from the first game, you don't have any new abilities, the HUD is the same... jeez. Just so damn samey.

How did these games get 90+ Metacritic scores? Were reviewers just blown away by the visuals at the time? Am I missing out by not playing the multiplayer (I don't buy that because I never really played much of the Halo multiplayer and I loved those games)? I feel like the single player in these games are everything that's wrong with today's (semi)annualized, AAA gun games.

I had more fun with Sonic 06.

The Gears games were just stupid fun shootbangs. I loved Gears 1 and 2 for what they were. Not everything has to be a visual feast, sometimes you just wanna shoot shit.

Anth0ny

The Gears games were just stupid fun shootbangs. I loved Gears 1 and 2 for what they were. Not everything has to be a visual feast, sometimes you just wanna shoot shit.

I think that's why I'd call them mediocre and not total garbage, like a Sonic and the Secret Rings or Resident Evil 6. It was definitely good at... cover based shooting.

The chainsaw is great too. Real satisfying to connect with that thing.

Exactly. Everything in the game is satisfying to do. Quick Reload makes you feel like a badass; chainsawing fools makes you feel like a badass; even the taunts Fenix and crew say are good. As a package, it works.

TimmiT

The Gears of War games don't seem bad, but they're only really enjoyable for me in co-op. Else I just get bored by the repetitiveness.

AniHawk

i put some time into crash 3 and it's the only one of the first three that holds up. ctr would be better if not for fi interrupting the player with needless exposition. it's not bad though.

eeeeeeverything about the crash series is pretty obnoxious. the 'suck it' motion after every level, crash's stupid face, everyone's stupid face, the way the music sucks, the way the levels generally suck, how naughty dog clearly hated what they were doing and looked down on their audience with contempt, and how it feeds my desire for vengeance that will be delivered tenfold.

Sciz

edit: oh shit at the random VGO swipe dude not cool at all

Naw, I kid because I love, no harm intended. It's just funny to me that these clowns are styling themselves as a serious orchestra in the same vein when they're so very, very bad.

i put some time into crash 3 and it's the only one of the first three that holds up. ctr would be better if not for fi interrupting the player with needless exposition. it's not bad though.

eeeeeeverything about the crash series is pretty obnoxious. the 'suck it' motion after every level, crash's stupid face, everyone's stupid face, the way the music sucks, the way the levels generally suck, how naughty dog clearly hated what they were doing and looked down on their audience with contempt, and how it feeds my desire for vengeance that will be delivered tenfold.

I'm trying to figure out ways to respond to this post without getting banned/having the police show up at my door.

It's not going well.

AniHawk

i can actually see where crash 3 was probably well received. it mixes up the action fairly well, the missions are defined, and there seems to be more replayability and some exploration in most levels. plus it uses an analog stick because thank god sony figured out how to make those in ninety-ninety eight.

it just reeks of 90s xtitude and not in a fun way like sonic the hedgehog. like i get the feeling naughty dog was more focused on making a game that was cool than making a game that was fun.

TimmiT

I'm sorry, I can't take someone saying that Crash 3 is the only game in the trilogy that holds up well seriously when it's the game with those fucking water levels.

I've only really played Crash 2 through to completion, and it was fine I thought. Spyro is better, mind, but it was solid enough for me.

Didn't 100% it, though, because that apparently requires a lot of teleporting to random levels from random other levels to special areas that you only get a few chances to attempt (something like falling down a pit taking you back to the level proper, where you can't backtrack to try again - I might be misremembering), and I don't have the patience to figure out this maze of teleports.

PKrockin

it just reeks of 90s xtitude and not in a fun way like sonic the hedgehog. like i get the feeling naughty dog was more focused on making a game that was cool than making a game that was fun.
I'm not sure what it is but I get an unpleasant "90s cool" vibe from a lot of Sony's big franchises like Crash, Ratchet, Jak and Sly. I think it's the combination of furry and "attitude", but I'm fine with Sonic. Possibly because I grew up with Sonic whereas most of those weren't around until I was older. It also likely helped that the first Sonic game I played where there was voice acting and cutscenes was Adventure 2 which prominently featured Knuckles rapping. Even a back then I thought that was hysterical and it made me never take the games seriously again.

BHZ Mayor

I'm not sure what it is but I get an unpleasant "90s cool" vibe from a lot of Sony's big franchises like Crash, Ratchet, Jak and Sly. I think it's the combination of furry and "attitude", but I'm fine with Sonic. Possibly because I grew up with Sonic whereas most of those weren't around until I was older. It also likely helped that the first Sonic game I played where there was voice acting and cutscenes was Adventure 2 which prominently featured Knuckles rapping. Even a back then I thought that was hysterical and it made me never take the games seriously again.

I'm trying to figure out ways to respond to this post without getting banned/having the police show up at my door.

It's not going well.

Nah, but seriously, I don't get that vibe from Ratchet or Sly.

Falk

that puzzling face
Naw, I kid because I love, no harm intended. It's just funny to me that these clowns are styling themselves as a serious orchestra in the same vein when they're so very, very bad.

Well, VGO is also a little different from the other touring concert productions like PLAY, RePLAY, A Night in Fantasia, VGLive, SotG (RIP :( ) etc in that our focus isn't just doing shows worldwide (although we'd like to at some point) - we also have a recording/soundtrack arm too now. Eminence Orchestra also set themselves up for recording at one point but never got call-backs for subsequent gigs for whatever reason and Hiroaki Yura now is focusing on Project Phoenix.

Right now although I'm not at liberty to share details, we're getting inquiries from a -lot- of Japanese devs and composers with a shit ton of gigs already lined up in the rest of the year. Hopefully E3 presence will let us breach into western soundtracks too, since LA seems to be pretty much panicking as far as union vs video game soundtrack recordings go, and all the gigs are either going to London Phil (with budget), Czech/Bulgaria (without budget) or Nashville (for patriotism).

Also I got myself a new T-shirt. :U

HptUBeV.png

I had to refrain from putting something *really* cringeworthy on the back, like "sempai I can't help it, my tracks are rendering on their own"

edit: p.s. my position does make me sometimes feel guilty about poking fun at people who are obviously doing this just as a hobby or for fun, but eh, I've always been a dick online and as they say you can take the boy out of asshole but you can't take asshole out of the boy.

edit2: I just got a phone call that that's not how the saying goes.

TheOGB

Banned
The underwater sections were weak, the motorcycle was pretty stiff, but those were ultimately not too bad, especially compared to the plane levels. Fuck that noise. But both 2 and 3 remain top-tier classic gaming to me, still fun to go back and run through today. CTR GOAT, etc. etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, I honestly wonder what things might have been like (for better or worse) had someone other than Sonic Team designed the first ever 3D Sonic game (3D Blast doesn't count)

Village

I can't say I dislike a crash game.

Except when naughty dog made that dumb one with lemings in it for the ps2. Called Jax or something. Then they made two cool games with fist of the madmax lemmings in it. Called jak 2 and 3. Don't know why they called the first game jak 2 but screw it i'm down . And then they made Indiana Jones games, and I was like Aww they aren't making the other two things anymroe.

[/img] Perfection. [/img]

Would Beef drive this?

I know i'm a few days late.

There is something about that car, ... Something good. Can't place it. This person must work their magic with a nicer vehicle.

BHZ Mayor

I can't say I dislike a crash game.

Except when naughty dog made that dumb one with lemings in it for the ps2. Called Jax or something. Then they made two cool games with fist of the madmax lemmings in it. Called jak 2 and 3. Don't know why they called the first game jak 2 but screw it i'm down . And then they made Indiana Jones games, and I was like Aww they aren't making the other two things anymroe.

I know i'm a few days late.

There is something about that car, ... Something good. Can't place it. This person must work their magic with a nicer vehicle.

You probably like Bomberman: Act Zero too huh?

I've been going through my backlog and I just played through both Gears of War 1 and 2, back to back.

God damn are these games mediocre as fuck. Awful character design, incredibly boring and generic story, weak voice acting (Bender as Marcus Fenix is pretty awesome though), terrible art direction (I know it's become a meme, but these games are seriously 90% grey), and worst of all, the games are just repetitive as fuck. Besides the obvious cover-based gunplay that consists of the great majority of each game, you find yourself... defending your robot buddy when he's trying to open a door, shooting enemies that spawn from a hole... and that's about the extent of them mixing up the gameplay.

Neither game really "ramps up". You shoot at the same exact enemies from the first 5 minutes in Gears 1 all the way to the finale of Gears 2. It's just this guy:

gruntdiuzb.jpg

times a billion. from beginning to end. There is no difficulty curve, because the enemies don't get any harder. IT'S THE SAME GUY ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

It especially baffles me that the sequel changed literally fuck all. It's just more stages. Your movement is identical, the guns are all the same, the levels are indistinguishable from the first game, you don't have any new abilities, the HUD is the same... jeez. Just so damn samey.

How did these games get 90+ Metacritic scores? Were reviewers just blown away by the visuals at the time? Am I missing out by not playing the multiplayer (I don't buy that because I never really played much of the Halo multiplayer and I loved those games)? I feel like the single player in these games are everything that's wrong with today's (semi)annualized, AAA gun games.

I had more fun with Sonic 06.

You're being a bit extreme.

Gears of War are not revolutionary games, but like, your complaint about not enough enemy variety? Well, you're... kind of fighting against a species. So it's like playing any other shooter and being like "UGH ALL YOU DO IS FIGHT HUMANS"

So, like, yeah? All you do is fight the Locust. But there's like, 13 different classes of Locust drone, each one with different weapons and attack strategies.

Then there's 4 different classes of Theron Guards, which are smarter, faster, and usually change dynamics by acting as a commander for drone squads.

On top of that are Locust "Boomers", which are big ten foot tall assholes with heavy weaponry. Walking tanks, basically.

And then there's the Kantus, which can revive fallen soldiers.

If you want to get away from generic Locust soldiers, then there's the Berzerkers, Brumaks, Wretches, Corpsers, Hydras, Seeders, Bloodmounts, Tickers, Shriekers, the Serapede...

Like, I am not super crazy about Gears of War or anything (I bought the third one when it was on sale a couple months ago, haven't felt like starting it), but you're saying things that are straight up lies.

Gears of War are not revolutionary games, but like, your complaint about not enough enemy variety? Well, you're... kind of fighting against a species. So it's like playing any other shooter and being like "UGH ALL YOU DO IS FIGHT HUMANS"
That actually kinda is a problem with some shooters, I'd imagine. The good ones mix it up more than that, but, well, I like more-varied bestiaries a la Doom.

Top Bottom