• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Because it's success might have some effect on how Sonic Team goes about making future Sonic games? I dunno.

They did say they were just gonna take a two-pronged approach to the series from here on out if Boom was successful, so I'm not really concerned about it. Maybe I should be! Lost World wasn't exactly hot shit so maybe Boom influence wouldn't be all bad?

Just keep those character designs away from me.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm so disappointed :(
I get that it looks like an okay PS2-era platformer,

Pretty much this. The engine is definitely not Hedgehog Engine and while I could get used to the UDK-ish shaders, effects, etc, something just seems too rigid about the camera which makes the speedy sections look extremely janky.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just keep those character designs away from me.
But how will we give you a new Beefcake Knuckles avatar now? :/

Pretty much this. The engine is definitely not Hedgehog Engine and while I could get used to the UDK-ish shaders, effects, etc, something just seems too rigid about the camera which makes the speedy sections look extremely janky.
Yeah. I fear that the game might trigger my motion sickness. Most PS2-era platformers and I never really got along well.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's something about Unleashed/Generations' camera movement that made it really, really play well with sudden changes in direction and angle. It's like it wasn't tied to Sonic with a rigid stick, but more of an elastic one, where the camera played 'catch up' gradually with Sonic's changes in directions.

It's really really noticable when Boom Wii U goes through loops and such. The camera is way too spastic.

I can't believe I'm saying this about an official product less than a month after I offered identical insight to a fan-game over at Retro and the revision moved ten times better. :|

I will say, though, if the size of the HP bars and the number of enemies is kept roughly where it is from the B-roll, I'll probably get by okay. If I'm forced with a Doom slaughtermap-sized army and they all take several hits to take out, then we've got a serious issue.

I thought most of the enemies in Heroes took too many hits, but Heroes also was trying to be more of a linear, "gotta go fast" game at the same time, which caused some clashing. I don't get that from Boom, for better or worse, and I know taking my time to clear a room of enemies doesn't bother me too much in other games - Doom, for instance (although I hate slaughtermaps so muuuch). Granted, in Doom I have a shotgun, and in Boom I'll be forced to use fisticuffs, but eh

AniHawk

wii u sonic boom looks crappy. and what a shock considering it had people from jak ii on it.

3ds sonic boom shows some promise though. it may not be a traditional sonic game but it looks like it could be fun to play. i never got the appeal of wandering into a room to use two buttons and beat down the same enemies for 10 hours and then the credits roll.

Tizoc

DmC 2013 on PC at dat 60 FPS with everything maxed out looks phenomenal.
Just from beating the first stage I'm pumped to play the next one stages just to see more of the visual style and presentation.

EDIT: Also DMC3 Dante does not look good in this game :V

Razzer

I'd like to see Sega hand some of the creators of the best received fan games a small budget, send Taxman to them to get the classic physics right, and make a $10 downloadable game in the classic style. Like the Before/After the sequel guys. It'll never happen though as not many companies have a Valve-esque view of utilising the community.

Oh, and make a map editor for an Unleashed style game. Length problems solved.

Falk

that puzzling face
Like the Before/After the sequel guys.

Oh believe me, we've tried. :p

Kind of stings that SFxMM got authorized by Capcom, as did the Metal Gear remake by Konami just yesterday, with those two companies being notorious about their IP (where Konami has been borderline trolling everyone with their Beatmania copyright for years)

But then again, SEGA never shut down Sonic fangaming/hacking the way they pretty much nuked Streets of Rage Remake up the wazoo, so I guess we can count our blessings and stuff.

edit: And map editor for PC Generations has existed for over a year now. Making 3D levels just isn't in the same magnitude of effort (and skill/experience) as putting together a bunch of blocks for classic gameplay.

Village

one one hand I want boom to be successful because I want more devs to try things with sonic. Maybe its not just 2 parts , maybe its like DC and there are like 52 sonic earths.

The other hand, booms approach to sonic seems suboptimal, its this kind of lame dreamworks-ey kind of thing. I don't thnk thats a good look for sonic.

Then again , i would like more combat in sonic games, I have been arguing that its a very good fit for years.

Then again boom is on some ratchet and Jak stuff and thats a bit slow and jank for what I imagine sonic combat to be. A mix of DMC and the naruto ultimate ninja storm games comes to mind.

I am conflicted.

Street fighter is fun.

Dario ff

Banned
Melpontro and I want to make the sequel to this glorious stream in the near future, with a pretty obvious candidate.
Unleashed

We already have replacements planned for the Werehog and some tweaks all around, but ideas are welcome. (Can be just cosmetic changes or stuff that even affects the core gameplay if possible)

OMG Aero

Melpontro and I want to make the sequel to this glorious stream in the near future, with a pretty obvious candidate.
Unleashed

We already have replacements planned for the Werehog and some tweaks all around, but ideas are welcome. (Can be just cosmetic changes or stuff that even affects the core gameplay if possible)
Replace Chip with the ice cream cone that Sonic names him after, so there's just this floating ice cream cone following Sonic everywhere.

Silky

Banned
I just listened to Raisin' Me Up for the first time.

Bomber Barbara's gonna have to take a seat, this is the best track in Sonic Rush

Tizoc

I'm kinda hoping expecting Zelda U doesn't get announced in E3
but a new 3DS Zelda game gets announced instead~

Anyone getting Tomodachi Life? It'd be cool to have some Sonicgaffers on my island if I pick it up.

When's the EU release again?

I'm kinda hoping expecting Zelda U doesn't get announced in E3
but a new 3DS Zelda game gets announced instead~
You'll get Majora's Mask 3D and you'll like it.
I wonder what issue surrounding this inevitable Zelda reveal will bring the expected dosage of high drama, I'm expecting something visuals related.

When's the EU release again?
Friday if i'm not mistaken, my dislike for Miis will be keeping me far away, that said it looks like the best thing they've been used for in some time.

BHZ Mayor

You'll get Majora's Mask 3D and you'll like it.
I wonder what issue surrounding this inevitable Zelda reveal will bring the expected dosage of high drama, I'm expecting something visuals related.

Choose one or more from the list below.

A.) It doesn't look like the tech demo.
B.) It's too cartoony.
C.) It's too realistic.
D.) An option for motion controls exists.
E.) Said option wasn't refined from Skyward Sword.
F.) Too much focus on the gamepad.
G.) Not enough focus on the gamepad.
H.) Ganon is the villain again.
I.) Still no voice acting.
J.) This just looks like another OOT sequel.
K.) It should play more like Majora's Mask.
L.) It should play more like Dark Souls.
M.) It should play more like Skyrim.
N.) It should be open world.
O.) It should be more mature.
P.) Where the black people at?
Q.) Where the gay people at?
R.) Why is there a black person in this? Keep your social commentary out of my Zelda.
S.) Why is there a gay person in this? Keep your social commentary out of my Zelda.
T.) Is Ganon black?
U.) Why is Link still the protagonist?
V.) Why can't Zelda/a female be the protagonist?
W.) Why can't Zelda be male?
X.) Why can't Link be female?
Y.) Can this save the Wii U?
Z.) This still won't save the Wii U.

Choose one or more from the list below.
I'm so spoilt for choice, with these in mind I've created the list that I predict to represent the wide net of conversation the next Zelda will spawn.

A.) It doesn't look like the tech demo.
B.) It's too cartoony.
G.) Not enough focus on the gamepad.
H.) Ganon is the villain again.
I.) Still no voice acting.
J.) This just looks like another OOT sequel.
L.) It should play more like Dark Souls.
M.) It should play more like Skyrim.
N.) It should be open world.
O.) It should be more mature.
S.) Why is there a gay person in this? Keep your social commentary out of my Zelda.
T.) Is Ganon black? (No, he's mysteriously grey)
X.) Why can't Link be female?
Z.) This still won't save the Wii U

I'd also add something about Zelda no doubt being kidnapped and/or in a powerless state once again.

Link not having a cool scarf like the one in Hyrule Warriors.

And of course the lack of busty female villains with silly looking outfits.

And of course the lack of busty female villains with silly looking outfits.

Hey now, don't be lumping us neckwear fans in with that lot.

EYFrBD0.png
gDnlZsr.jpg

JbXJ2nN.jpg
ATpaG8Z.jpg

Scarves are cool.

Hey now, I ain't knocking the scarf, scarves are where it's at (why, even Sonic's getting in on the fashion).
Though Link's doesn't do much for me, I mean look at all the superior scarves you just posted, Link's is small time by comparison.

Though Link's doesn't do much for me, I mean look at all the superior scarves you just posted, Link's is small time by comparison.

I think it's okay in terms of the character design, it just hasn't looked great from what we've seen of in-game.

If it was in something smoother than a Dynasty Warriors spinoff it'd probably work.

TheOGB

Banned
Q.) Where the gay people at?
R.) Why is there a black person in this? Keep your social commentary out of my Zelda.
T.) Is Ganon black?
I never knew I wanted a black Zelda until just now

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
uh ok then. so you guys read the article? I think it is just so dumb. It reads like some Youtube comment
We joke around in here. It was a joke in reference to a few pages back. Shadow hog, pls.

Should probably direct the question to Sega1991 since he writes for the site, but didn't write that article in particular.

I never knew I wanted a black Zelda until just now
Black Link or Black Zelda?

Us West Indian Trinidadians don't get represented in games much outside of AC4. :/

Top Bottom