• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony can't even get their high-tier IP first party games out in all regions? YOSHIDA!

Yeah I would agree with you there, I didn't even know it existed until I clicked on this thread.
I think high tier ip game just means 'high tier ip' which we can all agree uncharted definitely is. All he means is that the name uncharted carries brand recognition and would garner more attention then some no name card game.

Calm down.

I really doubt those numbers are very high. In fact I'm pretty sure that those numbers aren't high at all considering it took Journey a year just to break even. I can't expect that Journey would cost more than FOB.

Eurgh, just stop. You made a dumbass statement about a game not selling high, you've been told it's one of PSN's highest selling games and now you're gonna argue that will still be low?

Please, your trolling is so transparent, jeez.

Jarek23

Banned
When you bring no facts whatsoever and compare wildly different games budgets before doing any research, its absolutely off topic.

You know you don't have to read my posts right, you can put me on ignore too!

It's as simple as that. Also, where's your contribution to the topic if you're getting so bent up on what I'm saying? I only see a few posts from playing white knight vs my opinion regarding the topic which is a legit possibility as to why they didn't get released in other regions.

heh...taking my own advice.

Bluth54

I think high tier ip game just means 'high tier ip' which we can all agree uncharted definitely is. All he means is that the name uncharted carries brand recognition and would garner more attention then some no name card game.

Oh true I would consider Uncharted itself to be a high tier IP.

The massive difference in PS1 games between Japan and every other region is depressing.

Not really high profile, but still :(

This is the biggest thing for me. I want more games on the PS1 classics list (Suikoden II, I'm looking at you), and greater parity across all regions. Nintendo has this issue with their Virtual Console service as well, where a game was released in cartridge format on the original console, but is only available on the Japanese VC. Same with a lot of PS1 games.

It's basically free money once you get it running in an emulator, I don't know why so many companies are hesitant to put up old games for digital purchase.

Of course, one global marketplace would be the best thing in the world, but there's no way that could happen. But a man can dream :(

Jarek23

Banned
Eurgh, just stop. You made a dumbass statement about a game not selling high, you've been told it's one of PSN's highest selling games and now you're gonna argue that will still be low?

Please, your trolling is so transparent, jeez.

It's hilarious how someone can "tell me" without proof that FOB sold well, and that I should just accept it and move on, yet when I do the same with Journey I'm a dumbass and I'm trolling, try harder.

Artorias

Banned
You know you don't have to read my posts right, you can put me on ignore too!

It's as simple as that. Also, where's your contribution to the topic if you're getting so bent up on what I'm saying? I only see a few posts from playing white knight vs my opinion regarding the topic which is a legit possibility as to why they didn't get released in other regions.

heh...taking my own advice.

I'm not going to do your research for you, but was Journey primarily made of existing assets and finished mechanics?

Your first few posts in the thread were dumb, just get over it and move on.

Parapraxis

It almost seems as though people are looking for things to complain about.
Games releasing in different regions at different times and/or possibly only in SOME regions has been basically around since the beginning of the "gaming industry". This is not really a failure on the part of Sony, nor specific only to their platforms. Hell, PS3 and PS4 and the games for those systems other than digital are region free, which is more than can be said for other platforms.

So yeah, it's a minor quibble, one which as it turns out is actually able to be circumvented on PS3 with the option to make accounts for any region.
I honestly don't think the "get yer sh*t together Sony" tone is warranted.

sn00zer

Sony saves a lot of money not localizing certain games that arent as popular in other regions...... no way would sony see a nice return if they decided to localize the many Ape Escape games in Japan to America, same reason it wouldnt make sense to localize the small Infamous game to Japan if the series isnt popular enough their

and besides that of course there is "radically" different content on each stores, IP holders and licencing varies wildly across the world and each company has its own distribution contract with Sony

$h@d0w

The SCE who operates Japan and the one who operates Hong Kong+rest of Asia are separate.

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia are one and the same as of earlier this year:

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced the formation of a new operation, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia, which merges its Japan and Asia offices into a single entity.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...tainment-merges-japanese-and-asian-operations

labaronx

What you say isn't true though and Europe is the best example of this as you need to publish in individual countries rather than Europe as a whole. You need to also make sure that you'd got licensing rights for anything that is licensed in a game such as music and the license holders can different from country to country so there is no guarantee that obtaining license clearance in one country means that you have access to it in another.

Thats before you even start looking at languages which means you could end up with over a dozen vocal tracks for each character in a game.

If it was simple and as economical as you suggest then it would be done but it isn't.

the language factor is why the mlb show series is only released on psn in europe... only English and Spanish commentary

Yes, common sense. Even smaller and more niche digital releases are getting Western+Eastern releases all the time. From third parties. Limbo for VITA, for instance, is now out in all major regions. Games from SCE's major studios in their top stable IPs can't?

I wouldn't have made this thread if it was just the usual. But these two (and other situations like Toro Friend Network NA) is just baffling.
Money is not the issue here with SCE, these aren't indie productions from indie gevs.

Well here's some common sense for you... translating games is not cheap and if Sony doesn't think that the game will make back the money it takes to localize a game they won't localize a game. Just like every other videogame publisher on earth.

Dragon

Banned
Calm down.

I really doubt those numbers are very high. In fact I'm pretty sure that those numbers aren't high at all considering it took Journey a year just to break even. I can't expect that Journey would cost more than FOB.

Festival of Blood uses the same engine as Infamous 2, they didn't have to create a ton of new assets.

When you decide to stop the ignorant posts, I'll attempt to 'calm down'.

thatgamecompany had to be bailed out by Sony Santa Monica to finish Journey.

As.someone already said, just make another psn account. Problem solved

It's nice we can do that on the PS3, but Vita is a pain in the butt. Again, FoB makes sense to complain about, it's the best Infamous game in my opinion, but I don't know many people that'd care about that Uncharted card game.

weevles

1) Localization costs money
2) Each country has it's own laws and regulations for digital media sales
3) Each country has it's own interests and IPs that are "popular"

Nags

Banned
You're reaching here for the sake of your agenda op. Issues you have stated are not exclusive to Sony.

Yeah, that's pretty much how things work. I'm not talking about video games only. If something is a success in it's place of origin, they'll try to sell it in other markets, if somethings a flop, they count their losses and move on.

So, you're saying that Tomodachi collection failed in Japan?

JWong

Banned
Sounds like another "I know how the industry works" thread.

It's not as easy or inexpensive as you think it is to release in different regions, bud.

So, you're saying that Tomodachi collection failed in Japan?
Sometimes they don't think certain products are suited for outside markets, so they don't release them in other markets.

Considering how much Japanese culture is infused into that game, it's not surprising it hasn't been released outside Japan.

Edit: It still sucks though, I hate region locking. I live in Europe, so I know how Nintendo's region locking negatively affects people here; we're used to waiting for localisations.

macewank

not seeing the issue here.

you're taking about a TCG with cards that have Uncharted character faces on them and a non-canon spoof/cashgrab/idontevenknowwhyitexists entry in the inFamous franchise. These are not "important" games to the franchise.

Fezan

Not trying to sound contrarian, but I live in Pakistan. The one thing I'm appreciative for is the SEN store access and my ability to create a US account. I can purchase all my games via PSN that would somehow not come here for one reason or the other and at reasonable prices.

When the Last of Us came out here, it was selling for nearly 85 dollars the moment it hit. -_- - thank you PSN for saving me.

You live in Pakistan :O.
From pakistan too but your insider info have me believed that u live some in uk

i am more concerned how it's looks like their japanese IP are treated like unwanted stepchild.( sometime only get localized because of 3rd party, sometimes only get download only release in the west, and others never even get chance to be localized, not to mention how it looks like thye didn't even want to invest on the development of the game at the first place etc)

KageMaru

This is due to all the hoops each branch of SCE makes devs/pubs go through with their certification and release process. This is solely speaking on digital PS Store content.

I thought this was changed to a single cert process for all the major regions.

Parapraxis

not seeing the issue here.

you're taking about a TCG with cards that have Uncharted character faces on them and a non-canon spoof/cashgrab/idontevenknowwhyitexists entry in the inFamous franchise. These are not "important" games to the franchise.

I've only heard good things about this stand-alone add-on actually, and to get in the festive spirit this halloween I plan on grabbing this, As far as DLC is concerned I think the general consensus is that Festival of Blood is actually worth the money, and not so much a spoof or cash grab, but unique and worthwhile content if you enjoyed the games.

I do agree that OP is making a thread about a non-issue though, and singling out Sony out of the "big three", when in many regards they are more open regarding region-locks, only comes off as OP looking for something to bitch about Sony over.

abrack08

I've only heard good things about this stand-alone add-on actually, and to get in the festive spirit this halloween I plan on grabbing this, As far as DLC is concerned I think the general consensus is that Festival of Blood is actually worth the money, and not so much a spoof or cash grab, but unique and worthwhile content if you enjoyed the games.

I do agree that OP is making a thread about a non-issue though, and singling out Sony out of the "big three", when in many regards they are more open regarding region-locks, only comes off as OP looking for something to bitch about Sony over.

This, definitely. I bought it a couple months ago during the PS Allstars sale for like $4, wish I bought it sooner. It's very InFAMOUS, but also unique. Totally worth the $10 or $15 it probably was originally. Not a cash grab at all.

And I would argue it could be canon, as it's mostly Zeke telling a story trying to get laid

Calm down.

FoB came out a few months after I2. Seems to use the same engine, set in the same city, etc. It's mostly a few new powers, enemies, and missions. I'm not trying to minimize what went into the game, but Journey was probably built from the ground up, and by a less experienced studio. Obviously we don't know, but you can't so easily assume FoB cost more to develop and didn't make a profit.

I was at first a bit like minded with the OP but after more consideration I think its a good thing that different versions of the game go through different cert processes. It has a higher chance of ensuring the released game in each region is in fact a working product. After all, from what I understand the cert processes are mainly to ensure a working and complete product. The version released in NA may not be exactly same as a version released in EU or for that matter a country with stricter laws such as Australia. So having separate cert processes ensures content owners/distributors do not cut corners for releases they don't think will sell well anyway.

Whether each "top selling" game should be released in every region is a question of demand really and whether Sony/content owners understand and are determined to meet that demand. I don't think the separate cert processes has much to do with that.

Festival of Blood uses the same engine as Infamous 2, they didn't have to create a ton of new assets.

When you decide to stop the ignorant posts, I'll attempt to 'calm down'.

thatgamecompany had to be bailed out by Sony Santa Monica to finish Journey.

In response to Jarek23:
It didn't take a year for Journey to break even. Sony just pays royalties after each quarter. As of March (near the end of one quarter), we were set to receive royalties.

In response to Dragon:
Yeah... Um...
I'd like to know where you got your information about thatgamecompany being bailed out by Sony Santa Monica, because this never happened.

(I'm the Community Manager for thatgamecompany.)

cornerman

In response to Jarek23:
It didn't take a year for Journey to break even. Sony just pays royalties after each quarter. As of March (near the end of one quarter), we were set to receive royalties.

In response to Dragon:
Yeah... Um...
I'd like to know where you got your information about thatgamecompany being bailed out by Sony Santa Monica, because this never happened.

(I'm the Community Manager for thatgamecompany.)

never heard about the supposed bailout.

But I remember articles about Journey finally being profitable at what seemed to be late in the game. Great game by the way. Loved sharing it with people who don't quite see themselves as gamers, or have a warped sense of what gaming has to offer.

$h@d0w

I don't have a PS3 to hand to check this but in addition to the Uncharted card game, it seems inFAMOUS Festival of Blood was also released in Asia:

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/regional/gamedetails?id=12430

Furthermore, it was localized with Korean and Chinese subtitles.

All of the games mentioned in the OP have been released in all three major regions of the world, on or very close to the original release dates.

Sometimes they don't think certain products are suited for outside markets, so they don't release them in other markets.

Considering how much Japanese culture is infused into that game, it's not surprising it hasn't been released outside Japan.

Edit: It still sucks though, I hate region locking. I live in Europe, so I know how Nintendo's region locking negatively affects people here; we're used to waiting for localisations.

I am aware of that but jarek23 seems to be under the impression that if a game isn't released in other regions, it is due to failure in sales in the regions where the game was already released in.

JP

the language factor is why the mlb show series is only released on psn in europe... only English and Spanish commentary
I wonder why English and Spanish? I wonder if it's normal for US games to have a Spanish option and we've just get what they already have as it's never going to be a major seller over here?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo didn't release the any Tingle game bar the first outside of Japan (Zelda spin-offs!). They also didn't release F-Zero X Expansion pack, nor F-Zero Climax outside of Japan. Mario's Picross 2? Japan exclusive. Kirby's Dreamland 3? Not in Europe. Super Mario RPG? Not in Europe either. Wario Land Virtual Boy (together with the system itself) didn't come to Europe, even Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't released outside of Japan. Some of these examples got somewhat fixed many years later via Virtual Console. Some, but not all. It didn't help players who wanted to play the games back then. Sony's two way more obsucre spin offs not being released in Japan doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

CmdBash

I don't have a PS3 to hand to check this but in addition to the Uncharted card game, it seems inFAMOUS Festival of Blood was also released in Asia:

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/regional/gamedetails?id=12430

Furthermore, it was localized with Korean and Chinese subtitles.

All of the games mentioned in the OP have been released in all three major regions of the world, on or very close to the original release dates.

so in the end, op didn't even bother to do his research properly.

JP

The massive difference in PS1 games between Japan and every other region is depressing.

Not really high profile, but still :(
It's probably worth reading this post on the SCEE Blog from a couple of years ago Ross McGrath of the Store team about PS1 games. It does only cover PSOne games but it gives an idea of the sort lengths SCEE have to go to get stuff done across a complex region like Europe with all the different countries, languages, laws, copyrights, etc.
Ross McGrath said:
The other problem is failing QA because of serious bugs, and when I say bugs, I mean giant cockroach sized uber-bugs. I have seen a lot of PSone QA reports with some weird and wonderful errors – menu screens with upside down text, explosions that kill your character at random after watching a cut scene, games that continue to slow down the longer you play them, or music that sounds like it’s coming from the bottom of a well… the list goes on.
If a bug makes the game completely unplayable or otherwise ruins your experience then that’s a fail and the game cannot be published.
If a game fails QA, there are some things that can be done to fix them but, unlike with a PSN title, they can’t simply go back to the developer for another round of fixes, so it can get complicated.
Ross McGrath said:
In some cases the original publisher of the game in the US is not the same publisher as in Europe, so publishing rights need to be secured – once again, a lengthy process and one that some publishers choose not to undertake because of the costs and time involved.
Ross McGrath said:
There are some PSone titles that we have been seeking legal clearance to publish from as far back as 2007, some of which are still on going and some (such as the six mystery titles I mentioned recently… here’s a freebie… one of them is Wild Arms) have only just been legally cleared.
It should be easier but it seems that it can take a lot of time and work which can make it expensive and because there is a limited market for PSOne games sometimes the expense means it's just not worth the effort involved. I have loads of PSOne games from the Japanese and US Store which I love but obviously it limits Vita usage, I'm really hoping that with the new account system on the PS4 that it will somehow allow multiple accounts on the Vita too.

Bittercup

Is CS:GO still not on EU PSN?
No and still no word why.

The separate PSN stores without any option to access other stores is one of my biggest complain to Sony. So much missing in the EU stores :/
If it's too much work to bring all games to every country maybe just make the stores open, that you can access foreign stores as well (maybe add an import tax on top if necessary). Or a gifting option so I could buy games with a secondary account and gift it to my main account.

Not to detract from the thread, but judging from your post history, you seem to be on an anti-sony crusade.

he is invested XD

I don't know, but this is his Facebook pic:

2013_%2525208_%2525204_20_28.jpg

Oh shit, son!

bond in the cia? dont insult him

Top Bottom