• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Connect to offer Movie downloads (PSP included) + MP3 for PSP (confirmed)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
http://www.engadget.com/entry/6314322554365187/

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18766

PSP SPECIFICATIONS

TRADEMARK PSP™ portable game system
COLOR BLACK
SYSTEM ID PSP-1000
SIZE Approximately 170 x 23 x 74mm (width x height x depth) (case measurement only -- not including button and analog stick elevation)
WEIGHT Approximately 270 g (battery weight included)
CPU PSP CPU (1 - 333 MHz operating frequency)
MAIN MEMORY 32MB
BUILT-IN DRAM 4MB
SCREEN 4.3 inches, 16 : 9 widescreen TFT liquid crystal display
480 x 272 pixels, 16,770,000 color depth
Maximum 200cd/ m² contrast ratio (with Brightness Control)
SOUND Stereo built-in speakers
MAIN I/O IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) standards
USB 2.0 (Target)
Memory Stick PRO Duo
IrDA
IR Remote (SIRCS standards)
PORTS Memory Stick Duo slot
USB slot
External power supply terminals
Battery charging terminals
Headphone / Microphone plugs
BUTTONS & CONTROLS Directional Pad (up / down / left / right)
Analog stick
△, 0, X, □ (Triangle, Circle, X, Square) buttons
L & R trigger (1 on each side)
START, SELECT, HOME
POWER / HOLD switch
Wireless LAN switch (on / off)
OPEN switch (UMD)
POWER SOURCE Built-in lithium ion battery
External AC adapter
BUILT-IN DRIVE UMD Drive (Playback only)
FORMATS PSP Game
UMD Audio
UMD Video
CODEC FORMATS Video: H.264 / AVC MP Level3
Audio: ATRAC3 plus, MP3
SECURITY ENCODING 128bit AED encryption
Copyright protection technology: MagicGate
ACCESS CONTROL Region and Parental lock-out
WIRELESS COMMUNICATION Infrastructure mode (Networking functions)
Ad-hoc mode (maximum 16 connections) (Local wireless LAN functions)
BUNDLED PERIPHERALS AC Adapter
Battery Pack
Headphones (Remote Control-equipped)
Pouch

UMD SPECIFICATIONS

DESIGN See-through shutter-free case
SIZE Approximately 65 x 4.2 x 64mm (width x height x depth)
MASS Approximately 10g
DISC DIAMETER 60mm Φ
MAXIMUM STORAGE CAPACITY Single-sided, dual-layer 1.8GB
LASER 660nm (red)
ENCRYPTION 128bit AES
FORMATS PSP Game (full function)
UMD Audio (codecs: ATRAC3plus, PCM, <MPEG4 AVC>)
UMD Video (codecs: MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus, PNG subtitles)

* Specifications are accurate as of September 24th, 2004, and are subject to modification without notice
* "PlayStation" and "UMD" are registered trademarks of SONY Computer Entertainment. Additionally, "PSP" is trademark of the same company.
* "Memory Stick PRO Duo" and the "Memory Stick Duo", "MagicGate" and "ATRAC3plus" are trademarks of the SONY corporation.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/552/552434p1.html

Wdit: it's 128 bits AES not AED IIRC.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Panajev2001a said:
No, as you can charge using USB 1.2/2.0 ;).

SCORE! Everything seems to be coming together perfectly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This puppy will not near $400 as that would be about $50 in profit according to what a recent article at PC WATCH suggested.

xsarien

daedsiluap
POWER SOURCE Built-in lithium ion battery

Am I late to this party? Jesus, even the GBA SP managed to squeeze in a user-replaceable battery. Yeah, for say, a portable audio player this kind of battery may be all right, but not for something that could potentially get sucked dry in 2 hours. I'm not going to want to wait for that mother to charge, I'm gonna want to swap a second one in.

Chittagong

Gold Member
They are sending out guidelines on what types of music can be composed for it not to drain the battery. The whispering in the industry is that Ramones is a likely candidate fail submission process.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
xsarien said:
Am I late to this party? Jesus, even the GBA SP managed to squeeze in a user-replaceable battery. Yeah, for say, a portable audio player this kind of battery may be all right, but not for something that could potentially get sucked dry in 2 hours. I'm not going to want to wait for that mother to charge, I'm gonna want to swap a second one in.

Read again,

[...]

The bundled accessories will include the AC adapter, the battery pack (which is removable with some minor installation work, but will probably just be included pre-installed)

[...]

Jonnyram

Panajev2001a said:
This puppy will not near $400 as that would be about $50 in profit according to what a recent article at PC WATCH suggested.
They used to make a profit on their Walkmans too, and since this is the 21st Century Walkman, who knows? It would be shockingly refreshing to see Sony actually make more than a 5% margin on a piece of hardware :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jonnyram said:
They used to make a profit on their Walkmans too, and since this is the 21st Century Walkman, who knows? It would be shockingly refreshing to see Sony actually make more than a 5% margin on a piece of hardware :D

Refreshing on one side, but then you and DCharlie would be all "D000000M333333D!!!!!!!!!!!!" because of the price ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Insertia said:
where did you get this from?

Common sense ;).

Even our relatively old USB 1.1 compatible ARCHOS Jukebox FM Recorder charges when you connect it to a PC through the USB port and I suspsect a lot of NetMD Walkman's do the same.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Deku Tree said:
How big of a Sony memory stick would you need to DL a decent length movie?

It depends on the movie and on the compression ratio they use.

In short: I do not know :(.

2 hours at 2 Mbps... that'd be 1.8 GB, but this is DVD quality.

For SD (lower quality, but still Digital TV grade) you could go to ~1 Mbps and you would only need a 900 MB Memory Stick.

1 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo is ~$148:

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=bizrate&id=1000862

If they lowered color quality (24 bits might not always be a MUST), lowered detail a bit more they might fit in 512 MB which is considerably cheaper.

Memory Stick Pro Duo based devices can read Memory Stick Pro modules.

If you drop the frame-rate further like Fafalada says, 256 MB Memory Sticks should be enough.

I am more excited about episodes of Anime, TV shows, etc... through Sony Connect though :).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Movie download rocks. Hope this is not wishfull thinking akin to the "episodic gaming" thing promised with the PS2 tho.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
And that's still just numbers, wait until you actually see that screen in person :D

Right. I'll never get tired to say that, but it really has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
How big of a Sony memory stick would you need to DL a decent length movie?
For decent quality I'd say starting at 256MB.
If you're one of the PPC crowd that manages to "enjoy" 15FPS video, 128MB would serve just fine too. :)
With 512MB sticks already in 80$ies range, it's not too bad (and I figure prices will drop faster from here on).

I think downloading TV/anime episodes would be more exciting for starters, but we'll see if that can be worked out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fafalada said:
For decent quality around 256-512MB.
I think downloading TV/anime episodes would be more exciting for starters, but we'll see if that can be worked out.

Yeah, I'm sure Sony Pictures has access to plenty of tv series I would enjoy. I would much rather watch some anime or tv on my PSP during a bus ride. I could finish off a whole episode that way, with a movie I might have to stop and watch it another day.

Anime on my PSP...it just keeps getting better. And on that sexy screen, I just can't wait.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
Movie download rocks. Hope this is not wishfull thinking akin to the "episodic gaming" thing promised with the PS2 tho.

Truth to be said, with SonicStage 2.x they have the infrastructure ready :).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
writable UMDs please
Not gonna happen - they don't even have any plans to give UMD writers to developers.

In a way it may be for the better - it should drive adoption of MemoryStick and consequently drive prices down - and personally I think flash media is more versatile then discs anyhow.
My only gripe is Duo-stick only, which means biggest I can get will be 1GB for foreseeable future :(

Link316

Banned
yeah I know writable UMDs is wishful thinking, but I don't see the PSP having much of a chance of becoming the next "walkman" by using such an expensive storage medium like the memory stick

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
P90 said:
So he's the Commander in Chief of the Sony Army? Hey mods, a new tag for Pana?

It is well estabilished that I am Sony's Minister of Defense which does not mean I am a regular forum fnab0000j, but I cannot say that I do not have a preference ;).

I still remain objective as much as possible about all consoles as I am a big technology whore above all.

P90

Panajev2001a said:
It is well estabilished that I am Sony's Minister of Defense which does not mean I am a regular forum fnab0000j, but I cannot say that I do not have a preference ;).

I still remain objective as much as possible about all consoles as I am a big technology whore above all.

Sony's Minister of Defense is a MUCH better tag for you than "Brimming with Moxie". Don't ya think?

Top Bottom