• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Drek

SNUG REVOL said:
Damn this really sucks for me. I could careless about the price and HDMI crap. All I wanted was a new controller design. DS is absolute CRAP for FPS games PERIOD. The analog sticks are way too sensitive and they are too close together.
Sony's release regarding the new controller announced 1. L2/R2 are deeper, more like triggers 2. that the analog sticks had increased range of motion sensativity and 3. that they were moving to 10 bit controllers (from 8 bit). All told that should help take care of your complaints with the controller.

3. No rumble features??
Rumble sucks, not worth the battery life.

If you ask me Sony pretty much hit the nail on the head in all facets. They have a legitimate option (eyetoy + tilt controller) to combat Wii with if it really takes off. They showed off some promising games, with visuals better than anything currently shown by the competition. They have the superior online model (free play > *). They also have three major third party exclusives (FFXIII, VF5, MGS4).

I even think the price point is well chosen. Why would Sony want to take a loss when the demand will far outstrip their supply even at $600 a system? Its preposterous to expect Sony to have a worldwide launch, with 2 million units or whatever, and not want to maximize their profits per system.

Sony is also continuing PS2 support and we'll likely see a $100 PS2 for next christmas. They'll successfully bookend the industry, having both the high and low end options while Nintendo and MS fight for the middle market. When PS3 sales begin to slow the initial costs will be well padded and price drops will begin, which we'll see much more regularly than we did with the PS2.

Don't get me wrong, the price pisses me off. I'm just graduating from college and going to finally make real money. I saw a PS3 as the #1 luxury purchase as a result of graduating, which simply won't happen now. Not because I won't be able to afford it, but because I'm not spending $600 on a video game/movie player.

So for those few of you with the disposable income to buy a PS3, congrats, and thanks for taking the initial kick in the crotch for the rest of us. I'll join you when it drops to $400 for the premium version. Until then PC gaming and maybe Wii for me.

Vormund

Tellaerin said:
Ironic how whenever N-fans talked about the Wavebird and the lack of rumble came up, all I ever heard was 'rumble's not important - it's wireless, and that's all that matters!' Yet now that Sony's omitting rumble from their wireless controller, suddenly it's the greatest thing ever invented.

Difference here though, is that all GC games supported rumble because that was the standard, you still had choice whether to give that up for wireless. Now that the PS3 controller standard is missing this, PS3 games will not include it by default, whether there is a controller (3rd party etc) that incorporates it or not. Therefore you'd be damn lucky if a PS3 game ever included it.

aaaaa0

Tellaerin said:
Ironic how whenever N-fans talked about the Wavebird and the lack of rumble came up, all I ever heard was 'rumble's not important - it's wireless, and that's all that matters!' Yet now that Sony's omitting rumble from their wireless controller, suddenly it's the greatest thing ever invented.

360's controller is both wireless and has rumble. 360 FTW!

Pimpwerx

Tellaerin said:
Wavebird owner here, and rumble doesn't fucking matter. I haven't missed it. I use my wired controller from time to time just for the novelty factor, but the rumble doesn't really matter anymore for me. PEACE.

Nick

Ben Sones said:
Nintendo and Microsoft have been given a gift. It will be interesting to see if they can run with it.
That's deep, man. I totally agree with you.
Drek said:
So for those few of you with the disposable income to buy a PS3, congrats, and thanks for taking the initial kick in the crotch for the rest of us. I'll join you when it drops to $400 for the premium version. Until then PC gaming and maybe Wii for me.
This is also a brilliant quote.

Drek said:
Sony's release regarding the new controller announced 1. L2/R2 are deeper, more like triggers 2. that the analog sticks had increased range of motion sensativity and 3. that they were moving to 10 bit controllers (from 8 bit). All told that should help take care of your complaints with the controller.

If you ask me Sony pretty much hit the nail on the head in all facets. They have a legitimate option (eyetoy + tilt controller) to combat Wii with if it really takes off. They showed off some promising games, with visuals better than anything currently shown by the competition. They have the superior online model (free play > *). They also have three major third party exclusives (FFXIII, VF5, MGS4).

I even think the price point is well chosen. Why would Sony want to take a loss when the demand will far outstrip their supply even at $600 a system? Its preposterous to expect Sony to have a worldwide launch, with 2 million units or whatever, and not want to maximize their profits per system.

Sony is also continuing PS2 support and we'll likely see a $100 PS2 for next christmas. They'll successfully bookend the industry, having both the high and low end options while Nintendo and MS fight for the middle market. When PS3 sales begin to slow the initial costs will be well padded and price drops will begin, which we'll see much more regularly than we did with the PS2.

Don't get me wrong, the price pisses me off. I'm just graduating from college and going to finally make real money. I saw a PS3 as the #1 luxury purchase as a result of graduating, which simply won't happen now. Not because I won't be able to afford it, but because I'm not spending $600 on a video game/movie player.

no

The price is indefensible and possibly suicidal. There was no reason at all for this generation to be much, if any closer, than last generation. It could very well be a knockdown dragout now. Not that they'll even remotely consider it, but Blu-ray has to go... like yesterday.

IceIpor

Wow... I know it's still too early to call, but this E3 it's like...

It's like Sony didn't have enough money left in the coffers for a proper presentation after wasting it on their exuberant "Play Beyond" campaign.

The Shadow said:
And just like that, the Xbox 360 is looking pretty damn good now...

Damn straight man. When the price drop hits, it'll be difficult to justify the extra (up to) $300.00 for the PS3 by looking at the graphics alone.

Someone brought it up in another thread. PS3 = X360 + Wii.

I was holding out for the PS3, but I may just jump the gun and get a 360 now...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Shard said:
Like say maybe MS announcing shocking XBOX 360 price drop come the fall?
MS would not announce a price drop for the fall now. That would totally kill sales until then.

evil ways

I could afford $500 easily, but $500 for the crippled version?

image_1265669.jpg

You broke my heart Sony.

So now I gotta rethink everything over.

Do I cough up the $600? or
Do I settle for the MS ring of death? or
Do I go with the Nintendo Wiimmick?

Fuck next gen. MGS4, FFXIII and DMC4 aren't coming out until 2007 anyways, so I'll wait until then, unless of course a certain someone decides to play the GTA and/or Ninja Gaiden 2 wildcard.

Im dissapointed in the price, and the shafting of the $499 version. No fucking memory stick? WTF?
I mean, im still getting one ($499 version, no way in shit am i paying $599 for a video game console), but it's gonna suck saving up $40 or so every paycheck, only to have the inferior version.

Launch should be spectacular, though. Heavenly Sword, Ridge Racer 7, CoD3, Warhawk, Lair, etc....Can't wait!

Nameless

The gaming community has no one to blame but themselves. If 'we' hadn't gone out and bought the PSP, which was also touted to be "insanely expensive", in droves I really doubt Sony would have approved this price point.

The PSP+ a Game=The Price of the Xbox 360 core unit, yet it has been a smashing success. You're getting alot for your money, and I have no doubt that PS3s will be sold out everywhere from November 06 until Summer of 07.

With that said, just like the Xbox360 I won't et want until the software line-up warrants it.

Tellaerin said:

nintendo had years to get motion tech and rumble working, and did. ms got wireless and rumble working. sony dropped the ball here because they wouldn't settle the case, unlike ms. it was simple arrogance on sony's part, and now they'd end up paying part of those fees to ms, who took the smart route.

Drek said:

How is the controller a legitimate replacement for what the Wii does?

Can I use the controller to mimic a gun like Red Steel does?

Can I use the controller to mimic a sword like Zelda does?

Can I use the controller to mimic a racket like the Tennis game does?

Can I use it to "point and pass" to open teammates in a sports game?

The whole appeal of the Nintendo controller is that it's a 3D space controller with a vertical, single hand design that can mimic almost anything (flashlight, sword, drumsticks, gun, etc. etc. etc.).

The PS3 controller is just a tilt sensor ... it can't do any of the things above, which is the whole point of the controller.

No one would be excited if Nintendo just made a GCN pad with a tilt sensor thrown in.

Drek said:

Actually the analog stick placements are what kills it for me. I hate the fact that they are lined up right across from each other. I've just gotten used to the S controler stick layout for FPS games. Dont get me wrong, the new updates to the DS are great and long overdue. FINALLY some freaking triggers Sony! Im still not sure about that whole Wii rip off yet. I'll have to get my hands on it first.

Back when the PlayStation was being launched, Sony outclassed Nintendo and Sega by being cool. Kiosks set up in clubs, pushing popular 'mature' games like Ridge Racer and Tekken.

Being 'cool' is the precursor to cultural domination. We know they have the important exclusives wrapped up; so it's not like its going to go the way of the Jaguar or 3DO. They have the most powerful hardware and Blu-ray. I doubt that Sony cares that the gaming community has said 'I'll wait till the price drops'. All they're hearing is 'I am your future customer'.

Tiger

Banned
The one thing Sony still has going for it, is the fact that every single system will have a harddrive. I like that a lot, and I wish Microsoft would have thought it over a little harder, and made sure that every 360 had one. Sony has an advantage for that reason.

Microsoft also has a significantly lower price.

aparisi2274

god I wish kutagari and kaz and Phil went back to their room and surfed the net and came here to see how much of a fool they made themselves look like.

And can someone please post that wii kid with the eyes... cause he should be here...

h1nch

Drek said:

And that ladies and gentleman, is what I like to call DAMAGE CONTROL.

icecream

Public Health Threat
This thread is hilarious, and the conference was golden, but in all seriousness, you think any of this has that much of an effect on how the PS3 will do at this point? MSG4, Final Fantasy, VF... the big names are still on Sony's console, and where they are, people will follow. Until Japanses developers jump ship, there is no possible way for the Playstation brand to fail. Not yet.

i was planning on dropping a grand at PS3 launch anyway, but i still may wait. Unless HEavenly Sword and Warhawk completely blow me away, i don't think i'll be compelled and might just wait until 07. Plus they are only shipping what? 2 million. Those things will fly off the shelves and they will likely be as hard to come by as 360s, so the decision may be made for me :lol

Deg

Banned
Ben Sones said:
Sony dropped the ball here. I mean, they really dropped it. You people shouting "Sony FTW!" need to stop and take a fucking reality check.

1. Their game presentation sucked. Almost everything they showed (with the exception of maybe the Heavenly Sword game) looked utterly forgettable. Notice how almost nobody was applauding? The PS2's big E3 press conference wasn't like that, I can assure you. Worse yet, none of them looked any more visually impressive than what we've seen on the 360, and by the look of things, the launch lineup is going to make the 360's look brilliant by comparison.

2. Stealing Nintendo's controller concept just came off as sad and desperate. I'm not sure why Sony felt the need to do that, especially in such a half-assed manner (clumsy tilt-sensitivity only?). Brace yourself for the upcoming Nintendo ad campaign that highlights how much better the Wii (god, I still can't type that without snickering) controller is.

3. The pricing is INSANE. They didn't show anything that makes that console worth $500, let alone $600.

Nintendo and Microsoft have been given a gift. It will be interesting to see if they can run with it.

Lets calm down. If naything they showed why they are leaders. Even the retard pack of theirs is better than the premium Xbox 360. They ripped of Nintendo's controller idea. So what? They have made a bigger success of Nintendo's ideas themselves in the past. A year after launch no doubt xbox and Nintendo fanboys will wonder where their fave consoles went wrong.

maynerd

Banned
Too many pages....

Has anyone discussed the slow transfer rates of the BR-DVDs?

PS3: Blu-ray 2x: 72Mbp / 8MBps
X360: 12x DVD: 66 - 132Mbps / 8.2 - 16.5MBps

Is this going to be an issue?

Raven.

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Yes.

I was planning to be there on launch day, even if it meant standing in the freezing rain for ten hours. But now I will wait until it drops to something more reasonable... like $399. I don't expect that to happen until late 2008.

Apparently, Merrill Lynch knew what they were talking about a few days ago.
Well, this thread is really active, I gave ye a valid way to get it at a reasonable price in my post a while ago. There are some chains that offer something like 30-40% discounts to employees(some prohibit employees from buying at launch due to this...), $600, means $180-240 employee discount for the premium pack. You can get a friend that works at one of these stores to help you, convince a friend/family member to work there or work there yourself(as a last resort.).

Master Z

maynerd said:
Too many pages....

One of the reasons why the HDD comes standard.

Strike

$600!!!!! Wow...I can't believe they fucked up this badly. The more I read on, the worse it gets. I don't even know where to begin...

mCACGj

Even with the price point aside, did Sony really think this was an impressive show? I sure hope not.

Nintendo better not fucking dissapoint.

maynerd

Banned
Raven. said:
There are some chains that offer something like 30-40% discounts to employees(some prohibit employees from buying at launch due to this...),

Yo who can help me get a discount on a X360 Premium?!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HS looks fantastic. MGS4, FFXIII, etc.

I'll get one. I need to get a job this summer though. Money I had saved isn't enough.

Diablos

This is just... appalling. And offensive, really.

$400 would've been acceptable. Yet for the base price of $500, we don't even get HDMI, WiFi, and no more than 20 whopping gigabytes of hard drive space. What the hell is 20 gigabytes anymore? You can get a 320 gigabyte hdd for $115-125 OEM! :lol And who are they to think they should beat their chest over the fact that PS3 will help usher in the HDTV as the standard when their cheaper model doesn't even support HDMI? :lol

I see the pricetag as a big problem. IF people don't want to spend $500-600 for their PS3 (I honestly don't think I want to personally), and it's not selling, MS and Nintendo are gonna walk all over that this Holiday season. MS could very well drop the two SKU idea by then, making the default price $300, and oh, by the way, maybe shaving off another $50 to compete with Wii. By then, both MS and Nintendo could also have a lot of appealing exclusives (or games like Sonic that will likely look exactly the same on PS3) ready to go, making the consoles all the more attractive to potential buyers sitting on the fence when they're debating if a new PlayStation is worth it anymore.

I can't believe Sony doesn't realize this. They seriously could have dropped the ball. We can't say for sure of course -- no one can, but I think based on the reaction I've seen not only here, but on IRC and gaming forums across the Internet, the message by mainstream gamers, myself included, is VERY clear: $500 to $600 is way too much money for a video game console. Period. And good god, that's just here in the US. It's even more expensive in other countries -- which is always the case, but now I'm sure it'll really hit home for you guys. Sony is being TOO confident. This is NOT good.

I just can't believe they weren't willing to sell it for $100 less (either that, or they weren't capabile of it). I think Blu-Ray has a lot to do with this. The stupid format war is coming down hard on Sony right now. Perhaps they would've been better off to just go with HD-DVD, work on getting it out faster, and therefore having production costs cheaper so it could also be integrated into the PS3 for less money as well.

Perhaps Sony would be better off skipping yet another Holiday season, rethinking their strategy (they would HAVE to be aware of what feedback from mainstream gamers will be in a few days), and release the PS3 with one SKU for much less. I know this could potentially hurt them, but hell, so can launching a console for $500-600 when the competition has their stuff on the shelf for $250-300! Do you want to shoot yourself in the foot for a late start or shoot yourself in the head and end it all right there?

I always liked Sony consoles because you get the best of every world. You get some unique first party stuff, you get unique stuff from third-parties from America, Europe, and especially Japan. You get great exclusives like Final Fantasy and Katamari Damacy. It's kind of like a luxury because there's just so much depth to the library. I have an Xbox, and there were games that I liked, but there always seemed like there was something missing. There were a lot of titles that just weren't available for it that I could play on my PS2. This is why I do not want MS to become the market leader -- not because I hate them, but it just doesn't seem ideal. Because I fear we'll get more of the same, yet, they will be the market leader so that's the model we will conform to. And as for Nintendo, the Wii too looks very promising, but mostly for first-party stuff and games made especially for the Wiimote. I think if one thing's certain, Nintendo is not interested in getting a bunch of third parties on their side like Sony and Microsoft.

On the other hand, maybe I won't have to worry about 360 games being more of the same. If PS3 continues to not meet sales expectations after an extended period of time because gamers are not willing to pay the ridiculously high price, developers will have no choice but to flock elsewhere. For example, I hope Square-Enix isn't too far into FF13 development, because if the PS3 flops, they may have no choice to pack up and scale it down for X360 hardware. But if they don't and decide to stay confident with Sony and ride this thing through, should Sony not succeed, this could hurt numerous developers who put their faith in Sony taking the #1 spot yet again. Which is just another massive problem within itself. I don't want quality developers like Square-Enix to suffer because all of their big exclusives are on PS3 and it isn't selling.

But if Sony goes down and takes exclusives I love with them, they'll be shutting out one of the best things I loved about gaming once and for all. Seriously, this could very well redefine what we expect out of console gaming, because other aspects of the market will have no choice but to pull the strings, even if they don't want to (consumers and devs alike). And we'll all be stuck with something that might not make sense. All Sony had to do was say the console is $399. I really think they might have dropped the ball.

And as I said about scaling down graphics; while I enjoyed my PS2 and its inferior graphics (opposed to Xbox which had superior graphics, for example), I've kind of had it with putting up with below average graphics as the standard. Next gen is here, Sony has the most powerful hardware, and they could have been #1 for sure if they priced the thing right. And we were all anticipating Sony staying strong as the market leader, but now there's a big cloud of doubt and uncertainty, isn't there? No one wants to play a bunch of scaled down games that were originally intended for PS3 hardware. Gimping games is just not good. And not to mention, I and so many others prefer Sony to begin with.

Sony isn't doing too hot elsewhere, especially the HDTV market. PlayStation is the best thing they have going for them. If they let this one slip, who knows what the future will hold for them. This is just massive when you put it all in perspective. Unbelievable.

Who would've thought classic GAF trolls warning of Sony doomsday scenarios back in 1999-2000 would actually have a chance of getting the last laugh? :( I like Sony, and I would like for them to stay where they are in the market, but I really think they're only going to be able to do that if they seriously analyze what people like us are saying to them and rethink their strategy. If it means another delay, so be it. Just don't slip, there's too many good things you would've offered in the long run that we'll never play if you did. And that would suck.

FredFish

Not really because every PS3 will have a hard drive for caching.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Drek said:
Sony's release regarding the new controller announced 1. L2/R2 are deeper, more like triggers
But do they click like the GCN's controllers? :lol

maynerd said:
Too many pages....

I guess that's why they're using HDD caching.

Cosmozone

@ the people who were underwhelmed with the games shown: They're the same games as usual, with better graphics. Isn't that what you wanted? FF XIII and MGS4 follow the same route, what's so much better with them? I'm looking forward to a game or two
in 2008, or rather 2009

The price. I said back that I'd be impressed if Sony could pull off HD, HDD and BluRay for under $500. Well, I'm not impressed. The amount of functionality missing from the $500 bundle is ridiculous. Well done, Sony, well done. Will it help Microsoft? I don't know, there's still PS2 and Wii they have to deal with.

The controller: Wow, Sony must be afraid and joins MS in that respect. I'm proud of Nintendo now for truly leading next-gen gameplay. Actually I liked the previous boomerang design. It fitted the console shape. The DS3 looks all bulky. Of course the addition won't be much of a difference..

Deg

Banned
maynerd said:
Too many pages....

PS3 uses HDD for streaming.

god I wish kutagari and kaz and Phil went back to their room and surfed the net and came here to see how much of a fool they made themselves look like.

And can someone please post that wii kid with the eyes... cause he should be here...

:lol what has happened to all the Nintendo fans? Wii is not cool i can assure you.

Kolgar

Fuck next gen. I don't want your tard packs and waggle wands. I don't want microtransactions and $60 game prices.

I just want to enjoy this great hobby as I have for the past 28 years.

And you know what? Now I can.

Time to dust off all my old systems and the games I never finished. Lord knows I've got all the time in the world to enjoy them - because right now, I don't see a goddamn thing I like from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

Anyone ready for another industry crash?

This blows. Hardware super impressive, HDD standard important, but $600 am cry.

I'll buy a PS3 (the $600 version, what's another $100 at that point?) the day MGS4 hits. Kojima am god total. I'm buying a PS3 for him, not for Kojima.

Can someone edit my avatar to replace the PS logo and Kutaragi with the Team Kojima logo and Kojima?

andthebeatgoeson

genjiZERO said:
yeah this price sux balls, but honestly has it changed the minds of anyone was planning on getting one before?

Hell yeah, I'm not going to pay for a house by buying a $600 game machine with no games, nor adequate assurance that it won't break in 2 years. I can't even believe that people think $400 is doable. I'm probably being just a cheap ass gamer but now I have a life and these things are just a distraction. A hell of a distraction but I can't justify it. I'm not hardcore.

I take a lil pride that I own a XBox, PS2, GCN, gameboy, DS but now with these ridiculous prices, I just can't do it. I guess one console future for the win, uh...I can promise that Sony will be in for a beating if they keep this $600 price tag.

What pisses me off the most is I won't be able to play the next gen GTA. Well, maybe when 360 drops. Or if Rockstar starts a coke habit and publishes it on Wii. WTF, Sony. Come on Rockstar, support 360 and Wii. Fully.

Diffense

I guess Kutaragi wasn't kidding when it said you should get a second job so you can afford PS3!

IMO, Microsoft's chances have shot up and Nintendo can thank Sony for endorsing their motion sensitive controller with a rushed imitation.

Microsoft had a vision (built around online play).
Nintendo had a vision (build around the controller).
Sony now seems somewhat clueless against more focused and prepared competitors.

buck naked said:
All they're hearing is 'I am your future customer'.

right on.

icecream said:
This thread is hilarious, and the conference was golden, but in all seriousness, you think any of this has that much of an effect on how the PS3 will do at this point? MSG4, Final Fantasy, VF... the big names are still on Sony's console, and where they are, people will follow. Until Japanses developers jump ship, there is no possible way for the Playstation brand to fail. Not yet.

short term? yeah, it's a major blow. long term? not much of an impact at all. where exactly are all of the japanese devs going? surely not 360. square showed off a dq side game on wii today, not the main series. what about western devs? are devs just going to pack it up and call it a generation? no.

we're just going to see more and more consolidation between companies and alternative means of increasing revenue. come 2012, after a very long battle, how much will this really hurt sony? only 90 million ps3s sold? :)

Top Bottom