• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
hadareud said:
weight: 5 kg (360 3.492)
size: Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)

my god
To translate for the Americans.

11lbs
12.8" (W) x 3.9" (H) x 10.8" (D)

_leech_ said:
$649 CDN + $70 game + 14% tax = roughly $820 CDN.

Motherfucker...
It's $659 CAD so add $10 CAD.

Like I said before, imagine if we still had a weak Dollar.

$900 CAD + $90 game + 14% tax = roughly $1130 CAD

shudders

nitewulf

incidentally, how does tekken 6 look? nowhere near that jin cg picture i gather?
and the tard pack wont support HDMI? foolish. so only choice, if you could call it that, is the $600 option?

Monk

Banned
The craziest part in all this? Gahiggidy was right about Sony dropping the bomb. A sign of the apaocalypse?

aparisi2274

Flo_Evans said:
ok I am a little floored right now so maybe I am not seeing it... but where the hell does this pdf say the $499 version will not have wifi, HDMI, or card readers?

Look at the chart... look under the 20gb column... it has dashs next to the stuff that comes with the 60gb version...

imga851528f3dqsq7.jpeg

Aryuken

Banned
nitewulf said:
incidentally, how does tekken 6 look? nowhere near that jin cg picture i gather?
and the tard pack wont support HDMI? foolish. so only choice, if you could call it that, is the $600 option?

In a nutshell....Tekken 6 looks worse than Doa4. Vf5 looks cool though

Dracos said:
Normally Sony copies and makes the concept better. This time they copy and do it half-assed. It reeks of desparation. The DS really scared Sony. And then the price along with a showing of games that scream Diminishing Returns. Might we be seeing the fall of a giant?

Actually I always found the Sony pad to be a weak imitation of the SNES pad. The one controller thing I can really credit them for is the dual analog concept.

But the stuff that's going on here is just sad.

everyone was looking to sony to really steal the show to try and stop nintendos thunder and hopefully give a final blow to ms. but is there anyone out there that got any good feeling from that conference? 20 minutes of GT HD i thought that sony was gonna do something big later on, but revealing that kinda price? this is why you dont let the british take over your company.

What a monstrous fuck up in releasing a $500 retard pack that isn't upgradable!

I mean what the fuck? At least with the 360 tard pack you could buy the hdd and it was just like the premium.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wow Sony, no HDMI, WiFi or card slots for tard pack? And no more rumble? That's not cool

The 360 is actually looking quite appealing right now, too bad it doesn't have any games I want for it that aren't on the PC. *Sigh* looks like Nintendo may be my only option until the premium PS3 drops way down in price.

Dracos said:
PSP was lame again. Man this show wasn't just boring, it was damaging.

I dont think it was damaging. once the price sinks in, people will perceive 360 as an inferior hardware.
like the Dreamcast.
I'm already starting to get that vibe.

Flo_Evans

aparisi2274 said:
Look at the chart... look under the 20gb column... it has dashs next to the stuff that comes with the 60gb version...

omfg... ok now I can freely join in the FUCKING BULLSHIT chorus.

FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!

Wow, who would have thought there would be such overwhelming dissapointment. And people haven't really gotten into the PSP yet, which I thought was the lowpoint of the whole thing, embarassing.

Drek

Pretty obvious that Sony has decided they want the huge launch markups, not ebay resellers. Thank all your rich friends who get PS3 early on when Sony starts dropping the price at $100 intervals.

I dont think it was damaging. once the price sinks in, people will perceive 360 as an inferior hardware.
like the Dreamcast.

The PS3 will be like a Ferrari, everyone wants one because it's so awesome, but they don't have enough money so they go buy the Honda Civic instead.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
aparisi2274 said:
Hey did anyone else notice that they removed a hdmi port???

I remember on the old pics there were 2 hdmi ports.. now this press release says 1 hdmi port

Yup - "tard pack" - none, "bend over pack" - only one...

Funny how they forgot to mention that, huh? Especially since that was one of the lines we heard over and over again along with "true HD"... :)

And just to show you how much of a "tard" the PS3 "tard pack" is - with no Card readers, you basically can't input the media that they were talking about, nor can you transfer saves/data/anything... with NO possibility to upgrade that UNLESS you buy a brand new PS3 at $100/Euros more - forget about buying memory sticks for your system...

Atleast the only difference between the Core and the Premium 360's was only the HDD, with the possibility to upgrade for the poor gamer - with Sony, you TRUELLY get a crippled system for going the cheaper route - that is UN-UPGRADABLE... wow...

nitewulf said:

DOA4 stomps a mudhole in Tekken 6 and walks it dry - as I expected... nowhere near that CGI...

Fuzzy said:
It's $659 CAD so add $10 CAD.

Like I said before, imagine if we still had a weak Dollar.

$900 CAD + $90 game + 14% tax = roughly $1130 CAD

shudders

Yea, i guess all we can do if hope the dollar performs better as the year goes on and the price gets adjusted to reflect that.

Count Chocula said:
like the Dreamcast.

i think once this price sinks in, people will realize that with the recession that america is in, being the largest game market, buying the cheaper system is going to be the way to go. espeically if youre getting basically the same thing.

trmas

Banned
Just watched the Heavenly Sword trailer from Blim's site again. OMG... to hell with the price. I'm rich anyway, and I HAVE to have this game. $600 for my preorder tomorrow if HS is a launch game.

Juice said:
Unless Sony plans on plummeting that price as soon as the supply channel opens up, this is not going to go well.

I was fully prepared to spend $400 and considering spending $500 for this thing, but a combination of:

-No good games

And

-$599 for HDMI

makes Juice a sad boy.

You were the biggest fucking douchbag when X360 was unveiled. Even though this new pricing scheme from Sony does bother me, its nice to wee you suicidin' over this shit. What comes around goes around :lol

Agent X

sonycowboy said:
The hits keep coming.

We HAVE to buy the $600 for HDMI, CF/SD slots, & Wi-Fi.

$600. My wife is going to kill me.

Yeah, I just noticed that myself.

This is ludicrous. Sony is stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

I also don't understand how PS1/PS2 owners are supposed to transfer their game saves from their old PS1/PS2 memory cards to the PS3.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
StRaNgE said:
right on, i got hundreds of DVD's and they all work just fine.
no way am i letting some company tell me i have to rebuy them all .

So you didn't watch the press conference, then?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
bee said:
what does the lack of hdmi mean for blue ray movie playback on the $499 tard pack?

movie studios have the option of coding their blu ray movies such that you can only see their full resolution over a secure connection, i.e. hdmi or dvi/hdcp. if you're using component, those movies will output a resolution slightly higher than 480p. so the ps3 megatard pack won't necessarily play a given blu ray movie at hd resolutions.

CaptainABAB

Are we sure ALL online functionality is free?

All I see is slides that say "BASIC Community Services"

with acount management, video chat, latest info, friends, ranking, profiles, voice chat, text messages as bullet points.

What about head-to-head gameplay?

Or am I looking too much into this? I guess I'm expecting a headline in the slide saying ALL online features free!

Count Chocula said:
like the Dreamcast.

Really? About an hour after the conference and you are already getting that vibe? Are you just hanging out on the playstation.com boards? Look around and see that 99% of your fellow board members here think you are fucking nuts.

Deg

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Hey did anyone else notice that they removed a hdmi port???

I remember on the old pics there were 2 hdmi ports.. now this press release says 1 hdmi port

2 never made any sense. These are the final specs.

The PS3 will be like a Ferrari, everyone wants one because it's so awesome, but they don't have enough money so they go buy the Honda Civic instead.

Its not that expensive. A Ferrari is worth many Civics. Nothing like the PS3/xbox 360 comparison.

Count Chocula said:
like the Dreamcast.

Oh I see. So when prices get to the point of where you're no longer being fucked in the ass for buying a console but you're being fucked AND hemorraging, you will wake up and realize why while everyone wants a Mercedez Benz, 99% of people cant afford one. And that's why we buy the cheaper models instead.

SyNapSe

CaptainABAB said:
Are we sure ALL online functionality is free?

All I see is slides that say "BASIC Community Services"

with acount management, video chat, latest info, friends, ranking, profiles, voice chat, text messages as bullet points.

What about head-to-head gameplay?

Or am I looking too much into this? I guess I'm expecting a headline in the slide saying ALL online features free!

It seemed that basic online play was free, but they are really working towards making games/functions that incorporate micro transactions. With SingStar which they demo'd a bit you could buy any new music you wanted to go with it. It actually seemed like a pretty decent streamlined system

After their e32k5 conference, Sony REALLY raised my expectations to what they would be delivering here. Needless to say that was a pretty underwhelming conference- except for the price of course, which noone would argue is underwhelming.

I expected tons of footage that would blow me away- but didnt really happen. Diminishing returns exists. Only the best of the best of developers will be able to create things that are really beyond everything else, in reasonable timeframes.

Count Chocula said:
like the Dreamcast.

exactly. look at all of the people who are going to wait. really, few have given up on ps3 for good, even if they are waiting til say 2008 or after. this is typical shock. even i'm in disbelief now. but this will be a very very long gen for sony, as always.

once 2008-09 roll around, the price is down some, and must have games line the stores, the sony train will roll right along. sony just handed more time over to ms and nintendo, something it didn't do to sega. the 360 is no dreamcast, but let's face it, the train is just going to start a little slower this time around.

Raven.

Banned
Drek said:
Pretty obvious that Sony has decided they want the huge launch markups, not ebay resellers. Thank all your rich friends who get PS3 early on when Sony starts dropping the price at $100 intervals.
I know, my point was seeing how successful those ebayers were, this price is not so unviable if they've a serious shortage they could actually sell out considering demand for ps3 should be even higher than for 360(just basic economics, supply and demand, they're just cashing in...).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
_leech_ said:
Yea, i guess all we can do if hope the dollar performs better as the year goes on and the price gets adjusted to reflect that.
I really doubt it'll get cheaper before launch, Sony is already giving us a $0.91 US exchange rate.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
nitewulf said:

Tekken 6 looked fuck all like the CG from last year. Virtua Fighter 5 on the other hand looks fantastic.

SuperPac

Agent X said:
This is ludicrous. Sony is stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Haha, QFT.

I also don't understand how PS1/PS2 owners are supposed to transfer their game saves from their old PS1/PS2 memory cards to the PS3.

This is a great point -- especially if you buy the lower-end system with no mem card slots on it. But maybe there will be a complicated way to do it.

Top Bottom