• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony just updated some of their AAA 1st party games with AMD FSR3.1

Fake

Gold Member
I'm not saying they need to put FSR on their games for console. What I'm trying to say is that instead of investing on more PC features they could invest that money on his own console.

Because yes they are going to launch a Ps5 pro, but they are going to do so when all his Ps5 players only want games that take full advantage of the features of their console, and they are not doing it.

And assuming all PS5 users will move to PRO model is dumb.

I do agree that Sony should invest in FRS 3.1 for base PS5, unless someone here is telling that both base PS5 and PS5pro will get PSSR with is unlikely because require AI hardware support from the box.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase it "it seems they hate their own platform"
how can someone be so dumb to the point of not realizing that Sony is investing "new" technology on PC but not on their own console, there is no need for a Pro console if they start implementing FSR 3.1 on PS5.
From a console manufacturer perspective, Sony PlayStation behaviour is starting to get ridiculous.

I'm sure whatever Ps5 pro or Ps6 is going to be I'm out from console ecosystem.
How can someone be so dumb to spend thousands more on hardware that has to wait years to be behind in gaming experiences?
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I'm not saying they need to put FSR on their games for console. What I'm trying to say is that instead of investing on more PC features they could invest that money on his own console.

Because yes they are going to launch a Ps5 pro, but they are going to do so when all his Ps5 players only want games that take full advantage of the features of their consoles, and they are not doing it.
FSR has been pretty shit to average until recently. It's only now starting to really compete with DLSS.
Sony games look fantastic, they don't need FSR on PS5. I haven't looked at God of War Ragnarok and thought "you know what this game needs? FSR!" The game is probably the cleanest games I have played.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
This comes off as impetuous and childish. PlayStation is still their main priority, improving their PC titles does not, at all, in any fashion whatsoever, imply that they somehow have contempt for their current platform or user base, they're merely trying to improve their showings on all fronts. It's called being professional. The ability some of you have to interpret pure positives as negatives really boggles the mind.

IDWhite

FSR has been pretty shit to average until recently. It's only now starting to really compete with DLSS.
Sony games look fantastic, they don't need FSR on PS5. I haven't looked at God of War Ragnarok and thought "you know what this game needs? FSR!" The game is probably the cleanest games I have played.

This is not about FSR or other reconstruction technologies. It's about their investment on support the technology of their console.

E. g. It's been almost 4 years since the launch of PS5. And whit Tempest 3D Audio hardware on the console they promise real 3D audio whit custom HRTF profile, but we are stuck with the same five HRTF default profiles since then.

TxKnight7

this thread is pathetic. I’m glad you guys get good games years later. Have a blast with this update.
Like sea of thieves and grounded , Hi fi rush etc on playstation? were these games day one on sony platform? where is Half life alyx? was baldur's gate 3 day one there too?, star citizen?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Yeah that's fair point. My bad, but I didnt know what all games are using for AA/upscaling. And when I read the thread title, all I thought was that maybe there's an even better image improvement for HFW's performance mode. Just drop PC into thread title and all's good.

Crayon

Has anyone bothered comparing this to whatever those games currently look like on PS5? I know at least insomniac's upscaling is really good.

how can someone be so dumb to the point of not realizing that Sony is investing "new" technology on PC but not on their own console, there is no need for a Pro console if they start implementing FSR 3.1 on PS5.
How can someone be so dumb to spend thousands more on hardware that has to wait years to be behind in gaming experiences?

Like sea of thieves and grounded , Hi fi rush etc on playstation? were these games day one on sony platform? where is Half life alyx? was baldur's gate 3 day one there too?, star citizen?
Yea Sony getting more games and soon to be Xbox games Day 1 sure is a burn. You got me there.

TxKnight7

I am sure we will get Gears E-day ,fable, perfect dark, indiana jones, squadron 42 day one on pc like hellblade 2, but ps5 you have to wait right?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Has anyone bothered comparing this to whatever those games currently look like on PS5? I know at least insomniac's upscaling is really good.
Really good is overselling it. It's passable and better than FSR in Rift Apart but quite a bit worse than DLSS.

I am sure we will get Gears E-day , fable, perfect dark, indiana jones, squadron 42 day one on pc like hellblade 2 , but ps5 you have to wait right?
I have a pc, steam deck and xbox, plus you can play gamepass on a toaster. But believe what you want I guess.
I just don't think spending thousands to get pretty looking old games is worth it to me.

Neofire

People seem to not understand that every dollar invested on a PC feauture is a dollar not invested on his own platform. And that's not what makes your platform grow.
Bingo but somehow individuals think this is a win for the PS5 users 🤷🏿‍♂️ "well nixxes(a third party dev) implemented FSR"
Somehow another 3rd party devs, immortals of aveum creators, managed to get it running on Sony's platform but Sony's own 1st class developers that had a hand in creating the PS5 just can't seem to do it lol. Okay

Crayon

Really good is overselling it. It's passable and better than FSR in Rift Apart but quite a bit worse than DLSS.

To calibrate here, DLSS is very, very good. That's besides the point, though. I want to know how these studios' in-house stuff on ps5 compares. In a side by side, I should say.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeah that's fair point. My bad, but I didnt know what all games are using for AA/upscaling. And when I read the thread title, all I thought was that maybe there's an even better image improvement for HFW's performance mode. Just drop PC into thread title and all's good.
Would be interesting to see in HFW on PS5, the checkerboard is good in most areas but on edges of water it looks shit.
Bingo but somehow individuals think this is a win for the PS5 users 🤷🏿‍♂️ "well nixxes(a third party dev) implemented FSR"
Somehow another 3rd party devs, immortals of aveum creators, managed to get it running on Sony's platform but Sony's own 1st class developers that had a hand in creating the PS5 just can't seem to do it lol. Okay
The thread is nothing to do with consoles. Nixxes is first party.
I think Immortals has a low internal resolution, most if not all of Sony's PS5 games are pretty high.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

And assuming all PS5 users will move to PRO model is dumb.

I do agree that Sony should invest in FRS 3.1 for base PS5, unless someone here is telling that both base PS5 and PS5pro will get PSSR with is unlikely because require AI hardware support from the box.
What would be the benefit when the studios' own implementation is better on console? Why isn't anyone providing examples as for WHY it needs to be implemented? Nothing is stopping any of the studios from adding FSR 3.1 they just choose not to because it's not necessary at the moment. They aren't going to add it just to check a box in the Console vs PC wars. If you want the absolute best out of your console I implore some of you to upgrade to a 120hz VRR enabled TV/display. It's funny because the announcement was made with the distinction that it's now apart of Xbox's API yet not a single thread as for why none of their games were updated first. This whole thing just feels like trolling. Even the thread title is chasing for clicks.

Last edited:

A2una1

But none of them received FSR patches throughout the years because it's not necessary for their console versions. Why are we having this discourse now with 3.1 when FSR has been available for years on their PC ports? Fear you're missing out on something?
I'm not talking about FSR 3.1 per se. More like his Post sounded like console players shouldn't get FSR 3.1. This is the same bullshit as console players saying game xy shouldn't be on console yx/ pc. And as a DLSS User I don't think i'm messing out on something..yet 😉

bender

What time is it?
This thread is pettier than when I watched Tank Girl with my buddy Tom and his band the Heartbreakers.

Last edited:
But console titles received several after launch upgrades in terms of technical patches. Many Sony exklusives received 40/120 (unlocked) patches. In PS4 Pro times, many games received upgrades so running in Back-compat mode on PS5 would render to smoother experiences. I don't think it is uncalled for asking such features on console, especially when the APU is from AMD and FSR 3.1 is not a Hardware specific feature. Recently there was a patch for Immortals of Aveum to support FSR 3.0. So your PC-Masterrace bullshit is totally uncalled for...
It sounds to me you'd love playing on PC. I suggest saving up.

Crayon

¿Will this give any benefit on the Steam Deck?

Yeah it'll work as well as it does on anything else. The small size of the screen should even out the lower resolution. Scalers don't do as well at lower resolutions but that might actually enhance the improvement from fsr2.

hinch7

¿Will this give any benefit on the Steam Deck?
Probably not when playing natively on the device. OG Steam Deck has 60hz display and the input lag for frame gen is pretty bad for 30>60. For OLED version assuming you cap at 45fps and FG from there it may fair better. Image quality looks horrible when upscaling to 800P so you probably wouldn't want FSR on anyways. For using SD with an external display like 1080P, toggling on FSR Quality (720P internal) may be the best use case for it.

Here's a video I found with someone testing Horizon with FSR 3.1

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Sorry for the off topic but I need help from a video game curator or sommelier. Been playing the shit out of Helldivers 2 the last few months. I'm currently currency capped and waiting for the next update that allows players to use their currency. Until that happens I'm gonna take a break from it and play something else ...

I have Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part 2, FFXVI, and Spiderman 2 in my backlog ... what do I choose to play next? I plan on grabbing Black Myth: Wukong and Astrobot in a few months if that matters.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Does this extend to steam deck? It’s a PC and desperately needs frames!!

Also it sucks that you need a degree to adjust all the settings per game and in gpu and software to get the desired effects. They need a solution to just enable it and the software adjusts everything for you.

Before people complain read the link in the OP where AMD tells you recommended setting you should do to achieve these settings. It can be really confusing for some

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sorry for the off topic but I need help from a video game curator or sommelier. Been playing the shit out of Helldivers 2 the last few months. I'm currently currency capped and waiting for the next update that allows players to use their currency. Until that happens I'm gonna take a break from it and play something else ...

I have Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part 2, FFXVI, and Spiderman 2 in my backlog ... what do I choose to play next? I plan on grabbing Black Myth: Wukong and Astrobot in a few months if that matters.
Blah that’s such a little backlog you don’t have issues lol. I’d say all of them are a change of pace from helldivers. My choice would be in order

Ghosts, FF, TLOU2, Spider-Man

Darko

Does this extend to steam deck? It’s a PC and desperately needs frames!!

Also it sucks that you need a degree to adjust all the settings per game and in gpu and software to get the desired effects. They need a solution to just enable it and the software adjusts everything for you.

Before people complain read the link in the OP where AMD tells you recommended setting you should do to achieve these settings. It can be really confusing for some
I tried it but lots of artifacts.. it felt like I was streaming a game …..I have to find some settings that work for the deck. I tried ratchet and clank

Last edited:

phant0m

They leave their own platform in the dark because this is only for the PC versions.

Cause the GPU in PS5 (& XSX) is mediocre AMD garbage which is half the reason this gen sucks.

DLSS has been leagues ahead of FSR for years.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
What would be the benefit when the studios' own implementation is better on console? Why isn't anyone providing examples as for WHY it needs to be implemented? Nothing is stopping any of the studios from adding FSR 3.1 they just choose not to because it's not necessary at the moment. They aren't going to add it just to check a box in the Console vs PC wars. If you want the absolute best out of your console I implore some of you to upgrade to a 120hz VRR enabled TV/display. It's funny because the announcement was made with the distinction that it's now apart of Xbox's API yet not a single thread as for why none of their games were updated first. This whole thing just feels like trolling. Even the thread title is chasing for clicks.

Benefit? This would help PS5 games by a large margin.

Look, you should find an example by yourself. Bad CB use, subpar performance, trash raytracing performance.

FSR will help base PS5 period. DLSS can't be used because both require AI hardware and only work on Nvidia, PSSR will only work on PS5pro because need the native AI componets.

So, whats left for base PS5? Oh yeah, sell this piece garbage and buy a PS5pro because base PS5 is outdated?

And 'implore' for users to upgrade to VRR TVs is nonsense. This generation was an atrocity in performance and consumers can't keep spending money on technology because devs can find a middle ground for performance. Totally nonsense for your part to be honest.
Console was all about optimization.

We are so many years into this 'next gen', saying raytracing this, raytracing that. Raytracing was total trash in the console departament. Sony spend all this money into live service instead of invest into technologies that could help base PS5.

Now fanboys are rellying into their next savior, PS5pro, because base PS5 wasn't enough.
And Sony putting money into FSR was only one example from my part, Sony could invest into others technologies like temporal injection or temporal upscaler similar to Unreal Engine, but no, lets give PS5 users middle finger and see you at PS5pro.

So I gonna ask again, what is the point of PSSR if base PS5 will be left behind? And is not like PS4pro replaced base PS4, right?

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Benefit? This would help PS5 games by a large margin.

Look, you should find an example by yourself. Bad CB use, subpar performance, trash raytracing performance.

FSR will help base PS5 period. DLSS can't be used because both require AI hardware and only work on Nvidia, PSSR will only work on PS5pro because need the native AI componets.

So, whats left for base PS5? Oh yeah, sell this piece garbage and buy a PS5pro because base PS5 is outdated?

And 'implore' for users to upgrade to VRR TVs is nonsense. This generation was an atrocity in performance and consumers can't keep spending money on technology because devs can find a middle ground for performance. Totally nonsense for your part to be honest.
Console was all about optimization.

We are so many years into this 'next gen', saying raytracing this, raytracing that. Raytracing was total trash in the console departament. Sony spend all this money into live service instead of invest into technologies that could help base PS5.

Now fanboys are rellying into their next savior, PS5pro, because base PS5 wasn't enough.
And Sony putting money into FSR was only one example from my part, Sony could invest into others technologies like temporal injection or temporal upscaler similar to Unreal Engine, but no, lets give PS5 users middle finger and see you at PS5pro.

So I gonna ask again, what is the point of PSSR if base PS5 will be left behind? And is not like PS4pro replaced base PS4, right?

Other studios can implement FSR 3.1 into their games but why specifically must Sony do it for their titles? This isn't some magic that's going to boost ray tracing performance and the system beyond what's it's capable of. You're never going to get 4090 performance from a PS5. You're not going to get PS5 Pro performance on PS5 using upscale. It's just not going to happen. These machines aren't limitless. Also please show me a Sony 1st Party title that runs like trash on the base console? Not other games because we're not talking about those developers, Sony's first party studios only. The games ported to PC run amazing on base hardware. That's not going to change and hasn't since they've started doing ports.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I pixel peeped RC Rift Apart at 1440p and I'd rate the upscaling solutions as follows:
1. DLSS
2. XeSS
3. TIE -> FSR3(more artifacts) and IGTI(blurry)
4. FSR2

DLSS 'Performance' has better image quality than FSR3 or IGTI 'Quality' modes. The ideal use of FSR3.1 for Nvidia users on older cards who are locked out of DLSS 3 FG to pair DLSS with FSR3.1 FG. Obviously it's giving AMD users a little bump in image quality, too.

For Steam Deck it doesn't really help in R&C Rift Apart because the Deck doesn't have the headroom to hit a stable 60fps frame gen target. Same for some of the Lossless Scaling testing I've been doing. Some games can, but more demanding games can't. Something like a 6800U or 7840U might be the minimum hardware to pull it off assuming it's mostly GPU-bound.
---
Just played the opening segment of Rift Apart. FSR3 FG actually looks really clean in combination with DLSS 'Quality'. Seems to be more performant than DLSS FG. Maybe like 10-15% rough estimate. I'm on 4060Ti 16GB+5800x3D+165Hz monitor, and put settings to 1440p(DLSS 'Quality'), Medium preset with 16xAF, RT Reflection High+10 render distance. Playing with frame rate commonly hitting 165Hz looks really fucking amazing.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Other studios can implement FSR 3.1 into their games but why specifically must Sony do it for their titles?

I start to think you are trolling at this point.

Because PSSR will be PS5pro exclusive. PS5 will not support any type of A.I technique.

Why is so hard to you to understand? Sony can support FSR to help base PS5, but again I guess you just quote without reading shit.

I wish Sony support FSR because would help Sony titles on the base system, but thats not mean he need to. Sony just need to support any technology similar to FSR, like temporal injection or temporal upscaler.

SKYF@ll

The upscaling in God of War Ragnarok is excellent.
In some scenes it looks better than in quality mode.
5nvR6Hw.jpg
IZ2RZFc.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
5nvR6Hw.jpg
IZ2RZFc.jpg

I am VERY curious about the inevitable comparisons here between FSR/DLSS/console proprietary tech because Ragnarok image quality is in a league if it's own from console games perspective.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
5nvR6Hw.jpg
IZ2RZFc.jpg
1. Those are still shots.

2. This is more Quality Mode looking like shit than Performance Mode being good. Why is Quality Mode so damn blurry? Isn't it 4K?

Perrott

Hate their own platform? What is up with you console warring clowns as of late?

Most of these games on PS5 already make use of superior image reconstruction techniques (Insomniac's temporal injection) or already run at high-enough native resolutions that FSR-like upscalers are simply not needed. Plus, the PlayStation console ecosystem is gonna be getting PSSR with the release of the Pro this fall, which is going to run circles around AMD's shitty FSR going by the leaked comparisons in the Pro documentation.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ragnarök is using TAAU and upscaling from like 1872p to 2160p. Of course it looks good since that’s so close to native res. In performance mode iirc it’s doing 1440p to 2160p, which is still an easy upscale.

You can already get a peek at console upscaling in Rift Apart using IGTI. IGTI ‘Quality’ is worse than DLSS ‘Performance’ at 1440p target res from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom