• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony just updated some of their AAA 1st party games with AMD FSR3.1

SKYF@ll

1. Those are still shots.

2. This is more Quality Mode looking like shit than Performance Mode being good. Why is Quality Mode so damn blurry? Isn't it 4K?
It looks blurry because I enlarged a part of it with Zoomer.
I was surprised that the performance mode looked so detailed even when enlarged.
Quality Mode:4K/30fps or 1800-2160p/40fps
Performance Mode:1440-2160p/60fps or 1440p/80-90fps
iCXJhuc.jpg

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
I pixel peeped RC Rift Apart at 1440p and I'd rate the upscaling solutions as follows:
1. DLSS
2. XeSS
3. TIE -> FSR3(more artifacts) and IGTI(blurry)
4. FSR2

DLSS 'Performance' has better image quality than FSR3 or IGTI 'Quality' modes. The ideal use of FSR3.1 for Nvidia users on older cards who are locked out of DLSS 3 FG to pair DLSS with FSR3.1 FG. Obviously it's giving AMD users a little bump in image quality, too.

For Steam Deck it doesn't really help in R&C Rift Apart because the Deck doesn't have the headroom to hit a stable 60fps frame gen target. Same for some of the Lossless Scaling testing I've been doing. Some games can, but more demanding games can't. Something like a 6800U or 7840U might be the minimum hardware to pull it off assuming it's mostly GPU-bound.
---
Just played the opening segment of Rift Apart. FSR3 FG actually looks really clean in combination with DLSS 'Quality'. Seems to be more performant than DLSS FG. Maybe like 10-15% rough estimate. I'm on 4060Ti 16GB+5800x3D+165Hz monitor, and put settings to 1440p(DLSS 'Quality'), Medium preset with 16xAF, RT Reflection High+10 render distance. Playing with frame rate commonly hitting 165Hz looks really fucking amazing.
AMD rn
3pne4m.png

Zathalus

This thread is pathetic. Sony doesn’t use FSR on the PS5 version of their games, they use proprietary scaling tech. PS5 isn’t capable of FSR 3.1 anyway or it would have it. These type of threads always bring out the worst fanboys.
PS5 is fully capable of using FSR 3.1. The FG part has been done on Immortals of Aveum, and the upscaler is still not using any AI.

Console folk (One myself), you will get PSSR on the Pro for these titles, chill.

And for those who say, "I'm not spending $600 on a new console."

Then don't, I haven't paid full price for a console since original PS4, because I keep selling my current console to pay towards the next one. PS4 Pro to PS5 was only a $100 upgrade for me and I'm sure I can sell my original disc based PS5 for $350 or so before PS5 Pro comes out which will get me at least halfway paying for the Pro. Are some people simply too lazy to put their consoles up for sale?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yea Sony getting more games and soon to be Xbox games Day 1 sure is a burn. You got me there.

Soooooon..... what do you consider soon?
I have a pc, steam deck and xbox, plus you can play gamepass on a toaster. But believe what you want I guess.
I just don't think spending thousands to get pretty looking old games is worth it to me.

PC gets 99 percent of games day one, looking and running better. Plus a wide variety of exclusives. You're only talking about sony games which is maybe a handful a year if you are lucky.

Your points don't make sense.

CamHostage

Sony doesn’t use FSR on the PS5 version of their games, they use proprietary scaling tech. PS5 isn’t capable of FSR 3.1 anyway or it would have it. These type of threads always bring out the worst fanboys.

Well, PS5 should be capable of FSR 3.1 (and already a PS5/XBS game uses FSR 3.0's framegen feature, it's just the improved upscaler that's not supported yet.) That's kind of the deal with FSR, that it's not hardware-specific and done at a different stage of the rendering system so it is on paper inherently worse than DLSS and mostly worse than XESS but it works on more hardware and may catch up well enough if given enough research, maybe. Some Switch games already use features of FSR, it's just a matter of what features can and can'r be integrated at different hardware levels.

Sony doesn't use FSR on PS5 because, as you said, studios have their own approach. It would have been interesting if FSR 3.1 had actually turned out to be a miracle improvement (its framegen surprised some with its capabilities so there was a bit of hope that maybe the improved upscaler would bring it into tougher competition too,) and I still personally am curious to have an idea of if FSR 3.1 could have done anything good for the console versions of these games. However, nothing of the rollout says it's a miracle-maker. I'd assume it has been evaluated in the Sony labs even though it's only been added to the PC versions, and given the good-not-great reports back about it so far, it makes sense why they;re not rushing it out and may well have no plans to offer it in the PS5 versions.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

This thread is pathetic. Sony doesn’t use FSR on the PS5 version of their games, they use proprietary scaling tech. PS5 isn’t capable of FSR 3.1 anyway or it would have it. These type of threads always bring out the worst fanboys.

Its brilliant, I came into the thread thinking im going to be reading about people trying FSR 3.1 out, how it compares to dlss ect, instead its a proper soy war kicking off, entertaining though.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PS5 can certainly use FSR 3.1, both the upscaling and frame gen features. Steam Deck is Zen 2+RDNA 2 just like consoles and it has no issue using it. FSR 3 frame gen is decoupled from FSR 3 upscaling. It can be used with any of the modern AA/AI upscaling implementations like DLSS, FSR 2/3, XeSS, IGTI, TAA.

There's a few reasons why it might not have been implemented:
1. Sony is holding back frame gen to use as the main marketing feature for PS5 Pro.
2. PS5 has trouble getting games up to 120fps using frame gen.
3. It's easier to implement on PC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not anywhere near 99% unless you're including shovelware releases on PC to get the percentages up. A lot of big Nintendo, PlayStation, Rockstar, SE, etc games it doesn't get day one. I love PC as much as the next guy and you might just be exaggerating but that's the reality of it.

I bet if you take into account every single game released. Which is reality. It's probably 95 to 99 percent.

Three

I bet if you take into account every single game released. Which is reality. It's probably 95 to 99 percent.
Nope. It would be even worse because you're talking about day one and the further back you go to when xbox had the 360 the less there were. You can look at the release schedule even for this year and see that it wouldn't hit 95% even if you were to include the silly games like Fight Crab 2 and all those other small games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nope. It would be even worse because you're talking about day one and the further back you go to when xbox had the 360 the less there were. You can look at the release schedule even for this year and see that it wouldn't hit 95% even if you were to include the silly games like Fight Crab 2 and all those other small games.

Ok

I'm out at the minute but here's all the games released In 2024

👍

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

You are right about this thread being pathetic because of fanboys.
You are wrong about the PS5 not being capable of using FSR3.1
Just like with previous versions of FSR, this does not use ML. And that means that the PS5 and older GPUs on the PC can use FSR3.1

I never understood why the AMD SDK never includes the PS5. But the tech can and has been used in the PS5.
Not only there is and FSR SDK for Unreal Engine, but there is also the source code available, for any dev that wants to implement it on their own engine.

Three

Cool, i was off by a good amount. Still a lot. How's ps5 looking?
I can't be assed to go through the list again and count but I'd guess a little lower since there are a lot of weird smaller games like Fight Crab 2, Arctic Eggs, etc that aren't on PS5. Switch has a few of them weird games too which would lower it. There are a lot of bigger or more well known games like Unicorn Overlord, Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth but they don't make up for the number of smaller less known games.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why do you people act like political party supporters?

Using any & every situation to push your BS SMH.
Why do you think politics is the model for this behavior. Politics capitalizes on it, it did not cause this to emerge. It's just basic tribalism which was made disgusting by religion. The basic, I am right and you are a piece of shit if you have different views and should burn in hell for all eternity when you die and I only have friends who feel the same and have to whine about others trying to push their agendas......

It looks extra pathetic when it happens in consoles because they are so pointless in the grand scheme of things, but it's the same crap as political fanaticism, religion, .

Bojji

Just tried FSR 3.1 in Horizon. It's PERFECT for Nvidia users that don't own Ada cards, you have DLSS upscaling, FSR3 frame gen AND REFLEX that reduces latency.

X8aqUCU.jpeg

Motion blur creates artifacts in this game with frame gen but without it it looks great. AMD users also benefit because upscaling of FSR 3.1 is much better compared 2.2.

Edit:

FSR 3.1 vs DLSS, guess which one is which...

E4bChTE.jpeg
YY3zvlD.jpeg

Last edited:
Soooooon..... what do you consider soon?

PC gets 99 percent of games day one, looking and running better. Plus a wide variety of exclusives. You're only talking about sony games which is maybe a handful a year if you are lucky.

Your points don't make sense.

When CoD and Doom release. 🤷‍♂️

Fake

Gold Member

What proprietary scaling tech Sony is using on base PS5?

Wasn't TLOUS2 remaster critizide for not doing shit? No DRS, not even any form of scaling techinique.

Again, Sony will use their proprietary PSSR on PS5pro, not the base PS5.

Unless you are talking about Checkerboard technique with I don't know if PS5 really have a dedicated hardware to do CB in the same way as PS4pro.

What proprietary scaling tech Sony is using on base PS5?

Wasn't TLOUS2 remaster critizide for not doing shit? No DRS, not even any form of scaling techinique.

Again, Sony will use their proprietary PSSR on PS5pro, not the base PS5.

Unless you are talking about Checkerboard technique with I don't know if PS5 really have a dedicated hardware to do CB in the same way as PS4pro.

You don't need dedicated hardware for CB, it just accelerates it.
Aside from CB, Insomniac games used temporal accumulation.

I think FSR 3.1 wasn't really the jump AMD was hyping. Makes sense that Sony is developing PSSR as a proprietary solution. Seems like AMD won't be able to deliver a viable DLSS competitor for a while.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

I think FSR 3.1 wasn't really the jump AMD was hyping. Makes sense that Sony is developing PSSR as a proprietary solution. Seems like AMD won't be able to deliver a viable DLSS competitor for a while.

AMD didn't hype FSR 3.1. They only promised improvements to image stability. And they delivered on that.
They never said it would beat DLSS or anything like that.

Ratchet and Clank, for whatever reason is the worst case scenario for FSR2.2 and even FSR3.1
But still, it was a significant improvement.
In games like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West, the image quality is much better.
Like Ancient Gameplays showed, FSR 3.1 now is better than XeSS 1.3

Another thing to remember is that, the most likely reason why FSR2 never used ML, is because Sony decided not to have support for DP4A on the PS5.
AMD could not just leave one of their biggest costumers behind.
But, as soon as the Pro supports ML, both AMD and Sony say that their upscalers will also use ML.

Xyphie

Replacing CBR with FSR should be a decent improvement on base PS5 systems, it's a deprecated upscaling technique at this point. I can see them using FSR (or something which is effectively the same like IGTI/TSR/etc) on base PS5 games going forward and when they do Pro Preset patches for HFW, GoW:R et al.

SolidQ

reason why FSR2 never used ML
Main reason no AI for FSR, it's Consoles can't run at decent speed and don't want lock users only for RDNA3.
It's not NVIDIA where Huang saying: You are zombie, you will buy new card for FG :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Main reason no AI for FSR, it's Consoles can't run at decent speed and don't want lock users only for RDNA3.
It's not NVIDIA where Huang saying: You are zombie, you will buy new card for FG :messenger_winking_tongue:

XeSS runs well on RDNA2, through DP4A. And gives a good performance improvement.
While not being optimized for RDNA2 GPUs, and only using FP16.

The PS5 could very well run an ML version on an upscaler, if it had support for DPA4, like the rest of the RDNA2 GPUs.
Sony deciding not to include support for DP4A was a big mistake. But at least, they are fixing it with the Pro.

Gambit2483

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the console games?
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't Switch 2 be the first home console to feature hardware level deep learning technology (if the rumors are true)?

I expect every home console moving forward to specifically feature some form of deep learning (A.I. upscaling) technology whether it's FSR or DLSS

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

But CB is not proprietary as far as I know. There are non Sony games that indeed use CB.

And I do think FSR did some mix improvement, not the best. Again, total useless comparing an Alghoritm Threat like FSR with a deep learning one like DLSS.

And is useless because only work on Nvidia hardware, so only and maybe NS2 can have with luck. Whats even the point of bring a upscaler solution that neither base PS5 and Series X can't use?

Again, you guys are just running into circle at this point.

If PSSR is all you guys are talking about just a reminder that will only work on PS5pro, not base PS5. IDK how many times I need to adress that.
Sony need to invest into a solution that works on base PS5.

hussar16

Any implementation like this adds ghosting smearing so your picture wil just get blurrier. Is it worth it getting a slight sharper picture but nlurrier picture

winjer

Gold Member
Still lower pefromance, than FSR

Without optimizations for AMD GPUs. And while using FP16.
Remember that RDNA2 in FP16 can do 256 FLOPS per clock per CU. But in IU8, it can do 512. And in IU4, it can do 1024.

Last edited:
But CB is not proprietary as far as I know. There are non Sony games that indeed use CB.

And I do think FSR did some mix improvement, not the best. Again, total useless comparing an Alghoritm Threat like FSR with a deep learning one like DLSS.

And is useless because only work on Nvidia hardware, so only and maybe NS2 can have with luck. Whats even the point of bring a upscaler solution that neither base PS5 and Series X can't use?

Again, you guys are just running into circle at this point.

If PSSR is all you guys are talking about just a reminder that will only work on PS5pro, not base PS5. IDK how many times I need to adress that.
Sony need to invest into a solution that works on base PS5.

Sony is not going to create a new solution for base PS5 when its almost 4 yrs into its lifecycle. The PS5 Pro is their answer for a better solution.

If you want better upscaling then sell your base PS5 and buy a Pro, not hard.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Sony is not going to create a new solution for base PS5 when its almost 4 yrs into its lifecycle. The PS5 Pro is their answer for a better solution.

Thats the point lmao.

All this time and the only advance they will make was selling a new console.

Top Bottom