• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony just updated some of their AAA 1st party games with AMD FSR3.1

JaksGhost

Thats the point lmao.

All this time and the only advance they will make was selling a new console.
You need to get a PC honestly. You’re expecting too much and it feels like jealousy honestly. No valid reason, no concrete evidence that another solution is better based on similar hardware, nothing but “my PlayStation 5 should have this too and better.” The better solution needs hardware unfortunately and that’s what the Pro is for.

CamHostage

Sony is not going to create a new solution for base PS5 when its almost 4 yrs into its lifecycle. The PS5 Pro is their answer for a better solution.

If you want better upscaling then sell your base PS5 and buy a Pro, not hard.

Eh, they could. There will always be more PS5 base-models out on the market than Pros. And especially if 3rd-party solution like FSR improved things on the existing box (especially an open-source solution like this,) then Sony should bring it to these versions of their games.

However, there's not significant indication from reports of using FSR 3.1 that AMD has reached a level where the existing solutions have run behind. So, it is what it is right now.

(Sony might not do it anyway, even if it did clearly improve things, because console patches are a pain in the neck for some reason to even first-party providers and Sony doesn't have the best rep of patching graphical functions to their games. But it'd be good if they did, if it was worth doing.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

People seem to not understand that every dollar invested on a PC feauture is a dollar not invested on his own platform.

No, that's not really how corporate accounting works. Line items which justify themselves financially (especially for specific divisions budgeted to do this specific job for resulting returns) are not accounted for against other corporate interests.

Also, if it costs some dollars to do this FSR work, but then it makes many more dollars in sales of PC copies of the games, aren't those good dollars for investing in its own platform?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No, that's not really how corporate accounting works. Line items which justify themselves financially (especially for specific divisions budgeted to do this specific job for resulting returns) are not accounted for against other corporate interests.

Also, if it costs some dollars to do this FSR work, but then it makes many more dollars in sales of PC copies of the games, aren't those good dollars for investing in its own platform?
And keeping up with advancing tech is obviously always good for their dev teams in the long run, whether a certain console/model can utilize it or not, rather than only start investing in learning new tricks every x years that a new system comes out...

CamHostage

And keeping up with advancing tech is obviously always good for their dev teams in the long run, whether a certain console/model can utilize it or not, rather than only start investing in learning new tricks every x years that a new system comes out...

I mean, the FSR 3.1 integration can be as easy as changing the DLL (although I'm sure Nixxes did its share of custom work, also it's unclear if FSR DLL spotting is available in the devkit yet or is as easy as it is listed on paper, but I don't think it's out of bounds to guess that adding FSR was one of the easier tasks on the development plate at the time for the studio, plus it might have been a little lucrative given the promotion AMD gave Sony in the process.) And rolling out the work on PC gave a ton of response reports from various hardware configurations (and critics assessing the quality of the tech.) Seems to me like a big win for "Sony", however they choose to spend the dollars and sense (not a misspelling) they gained in investing those dollars.

...I'm still super curoius though to see what FSR could or could not do for these on PS5. But I supposed even if Sony doesn't do it, we'll see 3.1 games on the platform in time.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
You need to get a PC honestly. You’re expecting too much and it feels like jealousy honestly.

I expecting much more from a company that bring good visuals and great upscaling techs to base PS4 to PS4pro. From that time temporal injection and checkerboard render was a great move from Sony part.

Its just your expectations that are low.

Top Bottom