• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to Release New Game Console at U.S. Expo in 2005

Sony to Release New Game Console at U.S. Expo in 2005

- Sony will unveil a new game console next year to succeed the PlayStation2 and PSX at an annual video game conference in the U.S.

- Playable at E3 2005

http://www.gamefront.de

Updates
Bloomberg.com

Sony Plans to Release New Game Console at U.S. Expo in 2005

July 12, 2004 03:45 EDT -- Sony Corp., the world's second-largest maker of consumer electronics, will unveil a new game console next year at an expo in the U.S., Ken Kutaragi, president of the company's games business, said at a news conference in Tokyo.

gpara (babel)

It is playable exhibition to next-generation PlayStation 2005 year E3!

http://www.gpara.com/news/04/07/news200407125307.htm

Alcibiades

Kutagari is starting to worry, and they should when 2/3 of their profits comes from videogames, where Microsoft and Nintendo are determined to mine out their own marketshare next-gen...

edit: I guess this puts to rest some of the 2007 PS3 rumors/suggestions been thrown around... If Cell workstations are going to be ready by the end of the year, 2006 is probably the set year for Sony...

Rhindle

TOKYO, July 12 (Reuters) - Electronics and entertainment conglomerate Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Mondayit would have its next-generation PlayStation home console ready to display at next year's E3 video game show, usually held in May.

"There has been some talk that development for a next generation game console has not been going well, but we will have a playable version ready by next spring," said Sony's game division head, Ken Kutaragi.

He did not specify when the new console would go on sale, but said it would follow a similar schedule to market as its predecessor, PlayStation 2 (PS2), which first went on sale in March 2000.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5641805

Was PS2 demoed at E3 '99? If so, that would imply a March 2006 Japanese launch.

BuddyC

http://www.gamedaily.com/playstation2/article/?id=7140&game_id=&source=00001

In a press conference Monday afternoon, Sony's Ken Kutaragi announced that the company plans to reveal the next-generation successor to the PlayStation 2 at E3 2005. The conference, held annually in Los Angeles, is scheduled to begin on May 18, 2005. Kutaragi went on to state that the console will be released in a timetable comparable to that of the PlayStation 2, announced in April of 1999 and launching the following March.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
efralope said:
Kutagari is starting to worry, and they should when 2/3 of their profits comes from videogames, where Microsoft and Nintendo are determined to mine out their own marketshare next-gen...

I'm trying to follow your logic here but I'm having trouble... an 05 demo with an 06 launch has pretty much been the speculation from the giddyup.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kutagari is starting to worry

How so? Since the launch of the PS2 he always stated his plan was to release the PS3 in 2006. So a public showing in 2005 just fits the plan.

Chrono

Banned
lol the title scared me-- it says Sony to release new console in 2005.

But yeah this is expected. What worries me is that it could mean PS3 will come out 6 months after xbox2. That's not a huge difference-- it just could be that PS3 will launch with 128 MB of memory.

DarienA said:
I'm trying to follow your logic here but I'm having trouble... an 05 demo with an 06 launch has pretty much been the speculation from the giddyup.

Logic = efralope trying to make any move Sony does out to be bad. It's been expected that Sony was going to show the PS3 in 2005 all along and most reports had said they'd release it in 2006. There were never really any locks on 2007, that just came from Kaz saying if they "had" to they'd delay it till then to make sure they get what they want out of it.

Ofcourse this does cut into some peoples hopes that Sony would launch so late that they wouldn't be able to catch up to MS and Nintendo.

Dekajelly

yes.gif

Mashing

trippingmartian said:
Watch it come out the same week as Zelda 2005. lol

LOl that would be funny... but lets be realistic here... nothing is going to slow down the hype on that game. Just like Halo 2 is this years most anticipated games with gamers, next year belongs to Zelda.

The only thing that can cut into hype with games is just bad impressions on games (and sometimes that's not even enough to do it). A system definetly won't hurt it.

Zelda's gonna have some potentially very serious competition next year from, so far, unannounced titles on existing and coming platforms. Still, Zelda will be one of the big titles next year, regardless of what develops in the near future.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
trippingmartian said:
Watch it come out the same week as Zelda 2005. lol

Wouldn't matter. You know a game is huge when you see people at the mall wearing homemade transfer t-shirts with screen shots of the game on it.

Tre said:
"next year belongs to Zelda."

As said, Zelda's got some *tough* competition. KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire, to name a couple.

From a sales perspective, those games aren't anywhere near the same stratosphere as Zelda. It's not even close.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So, will it be announced before the end of the year? Game Developers conference? TGS? When does their fiscal year end?

Izzy

Banned
efralope said:

And just out of anxiosity, he's going to rush a $5 bn investment. Logic at its finest, caco...

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
First glimpse of the PS3 before the year end....COOL

but based on the same slide PSP is supposed to be released this year in the US and Europe....*scratch head*

cja

gofreak said:
So, will it be announced before the end of the year? Game Developers conference? TGS? When does their fiscal year end?
End of March, from the diagram it looks like Sony'll give first details in February or March 2005.

Well, to be fair, that 5 billion investment isn't really just the PS3 implementation of Cell architecture. It's Cell in general...which, if it works out for Sony, Toshiba, and IBM, will net them something larger and a bit more important than just the video game industry.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Milhouse31 said:
First glimpse of the PS3 before the year end....COOL

but based on the same slide PSP is supposed to be released this year in the US and Europe....*scratch head*
That's FY2004. So that looks to mean that the premier should be around February or March with the machine on the floor at E3.

EDIT: Ah, curses! Beaten to it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
CJA:

December 2004: CELL WorkStation proto-type.

January 2004 ( mid of January ): Broadband Engine surfaces at some IEEE prosentation.

Febrary 2004 ( mid-to-end of February ): PlayStation 3 is "premiered".

Izzy

Banned
According to the slide, the first non-playable, premiere showing of PS3 will be before E3. So, it's either a private event or GDC.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
MetatronM said:
That's FY2004. So that looks to mean that the premier should be around February or March with the machine on the floor at E3.

EDIT: Ah, curses! Beaten to it.

yeah it seems more correct that way

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a GDC in spring, right? They could mirror the PSP rollout this year, but with actual playable software at E3.

Izzy

Banned
If PS3 follows the PSP tradition, we could have the winter 2006 release(March) for Japan and simultaneous Spring 2006 launch for the rest of the territories.

That's far from the previously expected 1-2 year gap between PS3 and Xenon release.

Originally posted by passerby at B3D Console Forum
Nice report with pictures:
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040712/psm.htm

The event is the "2004 Playstation Meeting". No. of titles for PSP has increased from 34 to 59 since E3. One of these, called "Talkman" was demonstrated(There's a pic of it at the link). The next playstation will be unveiled at E3 2005, and first software unveiled during TGS 2005. Ver.1 of TOOL will be available in 1st half of 2005, and Ver.2 will follow in 2nd half of 2005.

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
If PS3 follows the PSP tradition, we could have the winter 2006 release(March) for Japan and simultaneous Spring 2006 launch for the rest of the territories.

That's far from the previously expected 1-2 year gap between PS3 and Xenon release.
I'm not sure that's feasable at a $299 price point though. After all, PS3 will be incorperating multiple Cell chipsets and a BRD... that stuff won't be cheap in early 2006. Fall 2006 seems like a better bet for the west for a PlayStation launch anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Originally posted by passerby at B3D Console Forum

So it won't be playable at E3? ::confused:: Or maybe they mean they'll have a functioning unit at e3, but no actual games (kinda like PSP this year)?

gofreak said:
So it won't be playable at E3? ::confused:: Or maybe they mean they'll have a functioning unit at e3, but no actual games (kinda like PSP this year)?

That's likely it. You'll get some demos, and likely some games that won't be playable. TGS will be where the playable games are displayed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:
That's likely it. You'll get some demos, and likely some games that won't be playable. TGS will be where the playable games are displayed.

This could backfire on them depending on where Nintendo and Microsoft are with regard to playables..in the short term anyway. I'm sure E3 2005 would be too early to do any real damage if Microsoft/Nintendo left them in the dust (critically, or whatever).

Izzy

Banned
jarrod said:
I'm not sure that's feasable at a $299 price point though. After all, PS3 will be incorperating multiple Cell chipsets and a BRD... that stuff won't be cheap in early 2006. Fall 2006 seems like a better bet for the west for a PlayStation launch anyway.

Well, it certainly won't launch at $299 in Europe. As for the US launch price, I'd expect something in $300-400 range.

cja

Panajev, thanks. Mid-late February would be the same as for the original PS2 unvealing wouldn't it? Is PS3 aimed at a late '05 release in Japan? The PS2 was intended for a late '99 release there. If anything it looks as if Sony are slightly ahead of the PS2 schedule.

gofreak said:
This could backfire on them depending on where Nintendo and Microsoft are with regard to playables..in the short term anyway. I'm sure E3 2005 would be too early to do any real damage if Microsoft/Nintendo left them in the dust (critically, or whatever).

I doubt it, in the grand scheme of things E3 isn't that important to your systems success. This is why Sony doesn't show everything they've got at E3, they hold alot of stuff off for TGS and their own show. It'll give MS and Nintendo a chance to get alot of attention for their consoles depending on how they stack up to what Sony shows.

madara

Holy $%#! that means 3 next gen system unveils for next e3? Gad I better start saving more up. I was hope, or figuring on have them spaced out more. Crazy!

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I doubt it, in the grand scheme of things E3 isn't that important to your systems success.
It's true, Sega pretty much ruled E3s 1999-2000 and it got them nowhere. :/

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
madara said:
Holy $%#! that means 3 next gen system unveils for next e3? Gad I better start saving more up. I was hope, or figuring on have them spaced out more. Crazy!

if X2 is scheduled for Fall launch that would make CES the most likely system unveiling time (early January 05). E3 would be for the games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:
I doubt it, in the grand scheme of things E3 isn't that important to your systems success. This is why Sony doesn't show everything they've got at E3, they hold alot of stuff off for TGS and their own show. It'll give MS and Nintendo a chance to get alot of attention for their consoles depending on how they stack up to what Sony shows.

I agree. Especially if E32006 rolls round before its western launch (as very likely will happen). Thinking about it in those terms, I've a feeling Nintendo may also hold back on a "full" Revolution showing, in a similar way to the DS at this E3. Next E3 could be a mirror of this year's, but with home systems instead of handhelds, and MS coming out to play ;)

Seriously, Sony PS brand and all the hype in the world wouldn't be able to save a console that launches at above the $299 US mark. Reality's gonna settle in pretty soon and we will see that all of the next-gen consoles will not be God-In-A-$300-Box(tm). I'm starting to believe that there will be a deluxe version of PS3, with BRD and Tivo-like functionality at a higher price tag. Obviously, there's gonna be a limit to how much of a loss can be incurred and how low they can sell before the FTC steps in to investigate for dumping...not that anyone would be that stupid to do so, anyway.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What's more interesting, arguably, is that SCEI also admitted that it has changed the memory chips being used by PS3 from 512Mbit units to 256Mbit units. However, contrary to some reports, this is unlikely to mean that the company has actually reduced the amount of RAM in the system - rather, that it has boosted the memory bandwidth from the previously expected 25.6GB/sec up to 51.2GB/sec, making the console's memory technology significantly faster than even top of the range modern PC technology.

This was in the other thread that got locked - it's from a gameindustry.biz article.

Why are they talking down the possibility of decreased memory capacity by invoking greater bandwidth? Seems like they dodged the question..perhaps they're suggesting that increased bandwidth will mitigate the impact of decreased capacity?

jarrod said:
It's true, Sega pretty much ruled E3s 1999-2000 and it got them nowhere. :/

It's basically just a place where fans can brag about who did the best. Most gamers aren't going to care about it and some might not even know it's going on. Sony knows what's most important to a systems success and that's marketing through mags and TV campaigns. It also doesn't hurt to have really controversial games that'll get your system even more airtime. :)

Top Bottom