• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warned 2024 Would Be Light But PS5 Still Has The Best Games

nial

I get the feeling that both Stella Blade and FFVII publishers wish they were on PC at the very least and are not happy with the sales.
Sony IS the publisher of Stellar Blade.
For the first party?

What up with this list war that context is out of window?

2024 wasn't a good year for Sony because Sony first party studios are out of scene.

People need to stop using that stupid list war to validate their argument. Most of the games in that list wasn't from Sony First Party Studios, so Sony in 2024 was depenting of third party or exclusivity deals to keep up with 2024.

I got a bunch of good and new games this year for my PS5 (Granblue, Dragon Ball, Astro Bot, Unicorn Overlord, Warhammer), but doens't remove the fact that 'In 2024 Sony first party studios was lackluster'.
Just like almost every year, then?
2013: Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall
2014: Infamous Second Son and Driveclub
2015: Nothing
2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last Guardian
2017: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Knack 2 and Gran Turismo Sport
and then...
2018: Shadow of the Colossus and God of War
2019: Days Gone and Concrete Genie
2020: Dreams, The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima

2020: Demon's Souls and Spider-Man Miles Morales
2021: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
2022: Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, The Last of Us Part I and God of War Ragnarok
2023: Spider-Man 2
2024: Concord and Astro Bot

PS4 has a lead in those first 4 years for what, one or two games?
If you're looking for every year to have tons of games made by their internal studios, of course you will be disappointed, as you won't obviously have years like 2017, 2020 or 2022 all the time. LOOK AT FUCKING 2015.
It's why this constant downplaying of their externally-developed games is so stupid, stuff like Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade simply enhance Sony's general output, they're very important here.
In the meantime people forgot to ask what companies like Bend, Santa Monica, ND are doing all this time while even PS5pro doesn't have a push to the limits game.
Holy shit, in what world do you live? Santa Monica released a game in November of 2022.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony never warned that 2024 was going to be light.

They only said that they weren't going to release a mainline sequel of their first party big blockbusters series during 2025, as in 2022 did with GoWR, GT7 and HFW and in 2023 with Spider-Man 2.

That sentence was completely compatible with what they are having: very successful sequels of smaller selling IPs like Helldivers 2 and Astro Bot, new IPs like Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin or Concord, the very successful expansion Destiny 2 The Final Shape, top 3rd party exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, an Horizon Lego spinoff, the Until Dawn remake and other PC ports like GoWR.

XXL

i'm almost sick of winning

almost
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

diffusionx

Gold Member
For the first party?

What up with this list war that context is out of window?

2024 wasn't a good year for Sony because Sony first party studios are out of scene.

People need to stop using that stupid list war to validate their argument. Most of the games in that list wasn't from Sony First Party Studios, so Sony in 2024 was depenting of third party or exclusivity deals to keep up with 2024.

I got a bunch of good and new games this year for my PS5 (Granblue, Dragon Ball, Astro Bot, Unicorn Overlord, Warhammer), but doens't remove the fact that 'In 2024 Sony first party studios was lackluster'.
does this really matter?

Like, does it REALLY matter if Rise of the Ronin came from Sony first party or external studio published by Sony? Or, for that matter, external studio published by someone else.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Astro Bot saved this entire year.

Everything else on PS5 this year was meh for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Are you kidding, right?

Of course does. First party its what brands are all about.
Like I said, it doesn't really matter if a game is exclusive because a studio owned by Sony made it or soemone else.

For proof - name some games that defined the PSX. Many of them were third party, but exclusive to the system like Metal Gear Solid. Nobody was crying because Sony didn't release Metal Gear.

Fake

Gold Member
Like I said, it doesn't really matter if a game is exclusive because a studio owned by Sony made it or soemone else.

For proof - name some games that defined the PSX. Many of them were third party, but exclusive to the system like Metal Gear Solid. Nobody was crying because Sony didn't release Metal Gear.

Maybe doesn't matter for you.

But matter not only for the context of the article, but for Sony consumers that are waiting for a new first party games and don't give a fuck about hardware sales.

midnightAI

Are you kidding, right?

You are confusing first party games with first party studios? A first party game can still be made by a third party if Sony fund and publish it (sometimes called second party, some even sign second party agreements like ShiftUp)

Also, as mentioned, third party exclusive games still count, and sometimes even non exclusive (or timed) are still associated with the brand. When you think Final Fantasy you think PlayStation.

Even then it doesn't matter, it's about the ability to play the first and third party games in one place, even if just one first party game or first party exclusive a year means the only place you can play third party + that game is PlayStation. Nintendo has very much the same thing but XBox doesn't as all games are released on PC also.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
While major first party studio titles are missing, their 2024 lineup of console exclusive games will still rake it in both in sales and awards; FFVII-2, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Black Myth Wukong, Silent Hill 2, and Astrobot were all console exclusive and hit a few genres.

What is this being compared to exactly?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Maybe doesn't matter for you.

But matter not only for the context of the article, but for Sony consumers that are waiting for a new first party games and don't give a fuck about hardware sales.
How many people are out there saying "oh man I really want a new PS5 game, but Silent Hill 2? Nah that isnt from Sony". Lik lmao seriously.

I get it if you want a new God of War or something, but that's totally different.

Ronin_7

I've around 1000 games on PlayStation 5 on the Collection tab.

Mostly I bought and never played, this year alone there are countless.

I've never seen this many games honestly.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
A bad year for PS5 results in....

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.
Now remove the games released on PC and remasters.

PurePlatinum

Neo Member
Am I curious what many of their first party studios are up to? Yes.

That said, there has not been a dirth of 1st/2nd party games this generation to keep you coming back to your PS. I will also say, Xbox has two-years in a row now missed out on a giant 3rd party game at launch due to Series S.

PS is the best place to be if you want the biggest games in the industry.

Kerotan

They didn't say that though. They said there would be no new games in their bigger, more well known franchises.
Little did they know Helldivers 2 was about to become their next big franchise.

Astrobot probably above expectations too. It's up there with Ratchet now.

skit_data

Seriously
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

whats 1st or 2nd or 3rd party produced exclusives really.
The PS1 and PS2 generations were built on exclusives from outside the first party roster and many of those games let those outside studios flourish later instead of being scooped up. Call it organic growth or whatever the fuck but;
exclusives sell consoles and are often great in order to have 3rd party studios thrive independently in the long run.

XXL

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.
Just to add to this

Playstation in 2024 also had

-A bunch of Xbox games come to PS5
-Playstation Portal
-Playstation Pro
-And a bunch of VR games

Playstation had a great 2024.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Next year Sony has confirmed

Death Stranding 2
Marathon
Ghost of Yotei

And we can speculate in addition to that there could be Venom and Fairgames is likely. Then there are still possibilities like Convallaria, Lost Soul aside and even KOTOR. Top that off with a likely console exclusive in Phantom Blade Zero. And now rumors for God of War Greek Saga remasters and we already had rumors of a remaster for Days Gone.

It's a much stronger year than this year and this year was pretty strong.

By the end of 2026 we should see Wolverine and many 1st party studios games. It'll actually be interesting to see what they do for 2027 and 2028, especially if the PS6 launches in 2028.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
NeoGAF should just add an asterisk system to the toolbar for comments on here.

Astro Bot is a GOTY contender.
*but it was made for kids

Final Fantasy Rebirth is a GOTY contender
*but it wasn't made by Playstation Studios

Helldivers 2 was one of the most successful games this year
*but it's available for PC
Dude, you are so desperate, you added 2 remasters and "PS5 Pro enhanced games".

Perrott

Are you kidding, right?

The PlayStation brand has never been all about its first-party games.

Out of the PS1's five most iconic game series - Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil - only GT was a true first-party game at the time of release, Crash was second-party at most (and in the end, they didn't even own that IP, so basically a Stellar Blade / Rise of the Ronin situation) and the remaining three were third-party exclusives. PS2 was undisputably all about Grand Theft Auto, a third-party game. And during the PS3 generation, judging by the abysmal sales of the majority of their first-party library, I'd say that those titles barely moved the needle at all because no one fucking bought them compared to current-day Sony titles.

Only during the latter half of the PS4 generation it was that first-party games began to matter and move the needle financially with record-breaking performance one after another; and so far, time-aligned, the PS5 generation has shattered the output of the PS4.

StereoVsn

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

Hold up, you missed the main dish of Sony 1st party, the mighty Concord! Remember Concord doesn't own you, you own Concord! 🧐🧐🧐

Sooner

Is IGN trying to downplaying the 2024 exclusivity catalogue problem from Sony?

I really don't get why inflate game discussion with those stupid takes.

'BRUH I know was bad for Sony, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'
Astro Bot - GOTY contender, PS5 exclusive
Balatro - GOTY contender, multi-plat
Black Myth Wukong - GOTY contender, PS5 console exclusive
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - GOTY contender, PS5 exclusive
Helldivers 2 - GOTY contender, PS5 console exclusive
Metaphor Refantazio - GOTY contender, multi-plat

If that's a bad year, a good year must break the Internet.

Another reason why list wars, shows, and road maps are stupid. Coming into this year, the gaming media and hardcore fanboys on social media were convinced PS5 would get its ass stomped by Xbox with a torrent of quality games from MS. The year is almost done and the actual opposite happened. MS has released nothing but Hellblade 2 which was a commercial failure and received extremely poorly by gamers. Some of the best games this year are console exclusives to Playstation or straight up exclusives. My PS5 has been getting a lot of playtime and it just goes to show why having shows and roadmaps is ultimately useless and why actually delivering good games is the only thing that counts.

My current GOTY is Astro Bot, a game I didn't know was in development coming into this year.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Astro Bot - GOTY contender, PS5 exclusive
Balatro - GOTY contender, multi-plat
Black Myth Wukong - GOTY contender, PS5 console exclusive
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - GOTY contender, PS5 exclusive
Helldivers 2 - GOTY contender, PS5 console exclusive
Metaphor Refantazio - GOTY contender, multi-plat

If that's a bad year, a good year must break the Internet.

Here we go with this list wars again.

You guys are getting out of ammo.

First, Party, Studios. 2024 was weak for First Party Studios.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Dude, you are so desperate, you added 2 remasters and "PS5 Pro enhanced games".

I kinda losing faith in some fanboys over neoGAF.

They never think before mentioning 'remasters' over the discussion about first party studios lacking games to announce.

Soon enough someone will quote me again with the same stupid list wars.

Top Bottom