• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warned 2024 Would Be Light But PS5 Still Has The Best Games

Fbh

Gold Member
I don't really get the PS5 has no games meme.

It's maybe partially true if you also have a high end gaming PC but even then FF7 rebirth, Stellar Blades and Astro bot on top of all the multiplatform third and second party stuff makes it a solid year IMO

There seems to be a sentiment on social media that a game doesn’t count unless it comes from a wholly owned first-party studio

nah bro. We're all just wondering what the 1st party studios are doing for the most part.

They are working on games?.
With the production values people want out of first party games we are looking at 5+ years development cycles, which might have been extended due to covid.

The only major first party team that should have said something by now is Bend since their last major releas was in 2019. Everyone else is still within an expected time range since their last major release.

Also Sony seems to no longer be into announcing games super early.
Ghost of Yotei was announced for next year, the Sony of last gen would have announced it in like 2022.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Garbage year from Sony first party. I like the cinematic third person action adventure games from Sony that marry the best storytelling, best in class combat, and visuals. I have not gotten that this year. Good for people who like platformers and pve games. I couldnt care less. Thats not why i became a sony fan in the ps3 era.

spiderman 2 was the last truly great game they made and between ghost and spiderman 2, we wouldve gone 2 full years. thats an almost microsoft caliber fuck up.

yes, if you look at the moneyhats and the accidental exclusives thanks to ms fuck ups, its clear that they have the best games, but thats not what fans of playstation are upset about. it's disingenious to say hey, look bloober remade silent hill 2, that makes up for a lack of naughty dog or ssm game.

XXL

Ghost of Yotei was announced for next year, the Sony of last gen would have announced it in like 2022.
100% and I'm all for it.

I'd much rather games be announced and released relatively quickly after.

The early announcements only serves the purpose of hyping up forums, who are generally super fucking negative about everything anyway.

It's definitely the better strategy.

clarky

Gold Member
Honestly, Xbox has also been lowkey having a good year. They had age of mythology retold in September( a great fucking game), the new flight simulator(releasing this year) looks amazing, plus they have Indiana Jones and stalker 2 set for this year as well.
Hard disagree there champ.

You cant be having a good year when 75% of the of the games you mention have yet to release.

They have the potential to turn another very poor year into a respectable one. Just.

Last edited:

begotten

I think purely from first party; Sony, Xbox and Nintendo haven't been great. This has been a great year for multi-plat games, and Sony obviously has had more of the good shit exclusive to their console (to this point).

I think Nintendos' best game is yet to come in Mario & Luigi for this year.

Last edited:

TheKratos

A bad year for PS5 results in....

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.
Was that list supposed to be impressive lol...

Senua

Gold Member
Whats bad for us is heaven for our competitors! Thats our standard!

#4theplayers
Your whole identity is based around an entertainment device.

Jerry Seinfeld Applause GIF

geary

Really enjoyed PlayStation first party games ever since the PS3 generation, but I'll never understand the attitude some people have that if it isn't first party then it somehow doesn't count or is a lesser game.
Take a look on the first page on Neogaf...Every 2-3 days there's a thread about TLOU, Horizon or GoW....in a way or another...While there are hundreds of games releasing every year from 3rd party (indies, AA and AAA).
Of course people will gravitate towards the first party games, since more than 50% that what's driving discussion here.

Make a poll to ask people the first 10 games on top of their head and my bet is at least 5 are first party.

Last edited:

You cant be having a good year when 75% of the of the games you mention have yet to release.

The have the potential to turn another very poor year into a respectable one. Just.
I think Xbox looks at this differently now.

They just released Diablo / Starfield expansions.

Sure Diablo 4 isn’t exclusive, but it is an Xbox game now. Same for upcoming COD.

For them, release schedule is full.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That discussion only exists, because console warriors exist.

- That game was moneyhatted
- That game was just third Party
- That game was just second Party
- That game was day1 on Pc
- That game was just a timed exclusive
- That game was whatever fits my narrative

Nobody gives a shit and even if the number was zero, there is still plenty of 3rd party games to play to make most gamers happy, casuals in any case.
If you look at my post above, it's relevant because this is likely not happening anymore. Everything will be on PC and PS going forward, including SQEX who is the most likely 3rd party exclusivity participant in the past. Xbox who even knows, but it's possible they have other launchers and would get those games too. In that likely scenario, 3rd party exclusives really won't exist anymore going forward. Even a lot of Sony 1st party isn't exclusive anymore. This is one of many reasons why people keep track of what is 1st, 2nd and 3rd party.

Topher

Gold Member
Take a look on the first page on Neogaf...Every 2-3 days there's a thread about TLOU, Horizon or GoW....in a way or another...While there are hundreds of games releasing every year from 3rd party (indies, AA and AAA).
Of course people will gravitate towards the first party games, since more than 50% that what's driving discussion here.

The topics vary on a regular basis and yeah, first party games are often the subject of many a thread. Really doesn't have anything to do with what I said though.

geary

The topics vary on a regular basis and yeah, first party games are often the subject of many a thread. Really doesn't have anything to do with what I said though.
It kind of has, because if a game is not first party is not worth talking about it so much and that's tied with peoples attitude against other games.

Fake

Gold Member
*but, but, but

The reality - the PS5 as a platform had an amazing fucking year, regardless of how many asterisks you have to use to make yourself feel comfortable about it.

WTF dude just stop.

Nothing you have been throwing remove the fact that Sony First Studios was lackluster this year. You can post PS5 sales whatever you want. Not the point of the conversation.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It kind of has, because if a game is not first party is not worth talking about it so much and that's tied with peoples attitude against other games.

Have you missed all the Metaphor threads and the ongoing discussion about that game? If someone can't bring themselves to talk about that game because it isn't first party then that's exactly the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Garbage year from Sony first party. I like the cinematic third person action adventure games from Sony that marry the best storytelling, best in class combat, and visuals. I have not gotten that this year. Good for people who like platformers and pve games. I couldnt care less. Thats not why i became a sony fan in the ps3 era.

spiderman 2 was the last truly great game they made and between ghost and spiderman 2, we wouldve gone 2 full years. thats an almost microsoft caliber fuck up.

yes, if you look at the moneyhats and the accidental exclusives thanks to ms fuck ups, its clear that they have the best games, but thats not what fans of playstation are upset about. it's disingenious to say hey, look bloober remade silent hill 2, that makes up for a lack of naughty dog or ssm game.
"not what fans of playstation are upset about"

This may comes as a shock to you, but you dont speak for all Sony, PlayStation fans.

I mean.....one of the best MP experiences I had was Factions, dabbled in Uncharted online MP. I could care less about the specifics you posted. Or act upset because games I prefer arent out yet.

If you look at my post above, it's relevant because this is likely not happening anymore. Everything will be on PC and PS going forward, including SQEX who is the most likely 3rd party exclusivity participant in the past. Xbox who even knows, but it's possible they have other launchers and would get those games too. In that likely scenario, 3rd party exclusives really won't exist anymore going forward. Even a lot of Sony 1st party isn't exclusive anymore. This is one of many reasons why people keep track of what is 1st, 2nd and 3rd party.
So ppl keep track of whats 1st-3rd party...instead of keeping track of games.

Thats....something.

Keeping track of whats 1st-3rd party is usually for list wars.

Impotaku

How it is having a PS5

mcivs578vbj71.jpg

Exactly.

I keep saying, if we're gonna keep using asterisks for games then this iconic pic is now invalid:

icxok4gugbk71.png

But you will still see ppl use this pic when talking about console libraries.

Back in reality......
angai313-slicing-bread.gif

Look how many years it's been on the market and how little to show for it. People arent buying a console just for remakes they want an abundance of exclusives too. The amount of hand waving & excuses like oh the pandemic when in reality sony blowing their money on shit like concord. Astrobot is a step in the right direction but there needs to be way more.

My main platform is PlayStation I loved Astro but if you’re telling me all the other exclusives that are on PC this year aren’t better than that? 🤣

There’s way more variety on PC than what will ever be exclusive to PlayStation. It’s not even close.

Last edited:

geary

Have you missed all the Metaphor threads and the ongoing discussion about that game? If someone can't bring themselves to talk about that game because it isn't first party then that's exactly the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.
Yes, and it will be talked 1-2 weeks from now, but wont see new topics on Metaphor 2-3 months from now, while i bet next week will find one about TLOU, Horizon or GoW.
This is what i am talking about. 3rd party games have their hot topics when they release, while 1st parties are talked way more after their releases.

Fake

Gold Member

Yeah. Nothing against cinematic, but when got reused over and over got very boring.

Naughty Dog release remaster after remaster and cancelled a multiplayer. Bend will release Days Gone Remaster. Guerrila will release Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster.

And fanboys showing numbers, list war and sales to validate their feelings. They are out of their fucking minds. Third party litelary saved 2024 for me. Spend much of my time playing PS4 games on PS5, thanks to third party this year we got a little of confort.

In the meantime people forgot to ask what companies like Bend, Santa Monica, ND are doing all this time while even PS5pro doesn't have a push to the limits game.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
My main platform is PlayStation I loved Astro but if you’re telling me all the other exclusives that are on PC this year aren’t better than that? 🤣

There’s way more variety on PC than what will ever be exclusive to PlayStation. It’s not even close.
Only AAA games are real bro

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So ppl keep track of whats 1st-3rd party...instead of keeping track of games.

Thats....something.

Keeping track of whats 1st-3rd party is usually for list wars.
Anyone that's not a PS only gamer keeps track of what is 1st and 3rd party. They have to follow what is available to play and when on other systems.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Third party exclusives will always exist especially for smaller teams/projects though, because they would rather have the security of a publisher (like Sony). Just look at Stellar Blade, that game doesn't get made without Sony bankrolling some of it. Possibly even Silent Hill 2 as well.

At the end of the day though - if you've bought into the PS5 ecosystem it doesn't matter. You're getting the games and you're getting them day one, and there's been a LOT to play in 2024.

Honestly, Xbox has also been lowkey having a good year. They had age of mythology retold in September( a great fucking game), the new flight simulator(releasing this year) looks amazing, plus they have Indiana Jones and stalker 2 set for this year as well.

Their year has been shit so far. Thankfully it’s going to improve starting next month.

Senua

Gold Member
They just released the highest rated game of the year on metacritic a little over a month ago, they have FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Wukong, etc... as console exclusives but for whatever reason they don't count, although Stalker 2 or Indiana Jones do count...
No they dont

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, and it will be talked 1-2 weeks from now, but wont see new topics on Metaphor 2-3 months from now, while i bet next week will find one about TLOU, Horizon or GoW.
This is what i am talking about. 3rd party games have their hot topics when they release, while 1st parties are talked way more after their releases.

Eh....these games don't just come up randomly my man. Typically there is news relating to them such as a PC port or remaster. Example.....

GYx8EwM.png

Either way, this still isn't what I was talking about at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
they announced spiderman 2, death stranding 2 and wolverine in 2021.
"not what fans of playstation are upset about"

This may comes as a shock to you, but you dont speak for all Sony, PlayStation fans.
I never claimed to speak for all playstation fans. clearly im talking about the playstation fans unhappy with sony this gen. i am well aware that there will always be a segment of sony fans for whom sony can do no wrong. i couldnt care less about them. just dont like i dont about the rikys and darkmages.

and yes, i too was a fan of factions, and kz, resistance and uncharted mp, MAG, Warhawk and driveclub. but sony shutdown Evolution studios, incongnito studios, zipper interactive, cancelled factions and removed multiplayer elements from all their single player games, so yeah, not happy about all that either. some fans dont care about all that stuff sony's left behind but ive been on these forums for 25 years, ive seen people defend anything.

The have the potential to turn another very poor year into a respectable one. Just.
Honestly, if I have even one good game per year that I enjoy, I am happy. I play like 10 games max per year. Even 1 great game from a platform( age of mythology, in this case) is good for me. Also helps that it was one of my childhood favourites and playing it again felt extremely nostalgic to me. As for the rest, I am honestly only interested in flight simulator) depending on campaign and vehicle damage mechanics). I do agree that it is still early to call it having a great year just yet, but there is a big chance they do.
Yeah. Nothing against cinematic, but when got reused over and over got very boring.

Naughty Dog release remaster after remaster and cancelled a multiplayer. Bend will release Days Gone Remaster. Guerrila will release Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster.

And fanboys showing numbers, list war and sales to validate their feelings. They are out of their fucking minds. Third party litelary saved 2024 for me. Spend much of my time playing PS4 games on PS5, thanks to third party this year we got a little of confort.

In the meantime people forgot to ask what companies like Bend, Santa Monica, ND are doing all this time while even PS5pro doesn't have a push to the limits game.
Bend released a game in 2019, it generally takes 5-7 years to make a game nowdays, unfortunately. Sony Santa Monica released god of war Ragnarok in 2022, Valhalla in dec 2023. They had great output so far. ND released a game in 2020, their next expected game is 2025-27( 5-7 year dev cycle just like bend).

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
If i like a game, i only care if i can play it on the system i own. Right now i would like to have Astro Bots on pc, but i don't give a fuck wether it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd party or stolen from aliens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom