• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Warned 2024 Would Be Light But PS5 Still Has The Best Games

How would you guys rate the chances of these releasing in 2025 on PS5?

Resident Evil 9
Pragmata
Kingdom Hearts 4
Ace Combat 8
Phantom Blade Zero
Lost Soul Aside
Fable

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hold up, you missed the main dish of Sony 1st party, the mighty Concord! Remember Concord doesn't own you, you own Concord! 🧐🧐🧐

Truth Lying GIF by Tangina Stone

Killer8

A bad year for PS5 results in....

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.

Not sure how anyone can be disappointed with this list (or even have the time to play them all in addition to all the other third-party releases).

Resident Evil 9
Pragmata
Kingdom Hearts 4
Ace Combat 8
Phantom Blade Zero
Lost Soul Aside
Fable

Resident Evil 9 - high
Pragmata - low
Kingdom Hearts 4 - TGS no show, probably 2026 earliest
Ace Combat 8 - nothing shown yet, 2026 earliest
Phantom Blade Zero - demo is coming early next year, i'd say chances high
Lost Soul Aside - don't know this game
Fable - 2026, one year after Xbox

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Resident Evil 9
Pragmata
Kingdom Hearts 4
Ace Combat 8
Phantom Blade Zero
Lost Soul Aside
Fable
  • Resident Evil 9: 10% chance
  • Resident Evil 9 Remake: 90% chance
  • Kingdom Hearts 4: 1% chance
  • Ace Combat 8: 25% chance
  • Phantom Blade Zero: 10% chance
  • Lost Soul Aside: I have no idea. I'm pretty sure the game does exist.
  • Fable: 85% chance

yurinka

For the first party?

What up with this list war that context is out of window?

2024 wasn't a good year for Sony because Sony first party studios are out of scene.

People need to stop using that stupid list war to validate their argument. Most of the games in that list wasn't from Sony First Party Studios, so Sony in 2024 was depenting of third party or exclusivity deals to keep up with 2024.

I got a bunch of good and new games this year for my PS5 (Granblue, Dragon Ball, Astro Bot, Unicorn Overlord, Warhammer), but doens't remove the fact that 'In 2024 Sony first party studios was lackluster'.
Sony 2024 first party releases, all of them PS Studios games with the exception of the Destiny 2 expansion:
  • Naughty Dog (remaster)
  • Arrowhead / XDEV
  • Shift Up / XDEV
  • Team Ninja / XDEV
  • Nixxes / Sucker Punch (PC port)
  • Bungie (expansion)
  • Firewalk
  • Team Asobi
  • Ballistic Moon (remake)
  • Nixxes / SSM (PC port)
  • Nixxes / Guerrilla (remaster)
  • Guerrilla / Studio Gobo
Plus supposedly 2024 games (I assume they have been delayed to 2025):
  • Loong Force / XDEV (Convallaria)
  • Ultizero Games / XDEV (Lost Soul Aside)
There seems to be a sentiment on social media that a game doesn’t count unless it comes from a wholly owned first-party studio, but PlayStation has done a particularly good job of working with partners to keep its portfolio packed this year.
This is pretty stupid in case of 2nd party games, which also are 1st party games. Because the lead studio of a AAA game only puts around 10% of the total amount of people who works in a game.

In case of 1st party games, the other 90% is basically the same both the 2nd party and internally developed 1st party games: internal Sony people from marketing, QA, localization, PR etc. plus internal and Sony's XDEV managed external support teams.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

The quality of each year is subjective. Years with first party bangers like God of War or Horizon are slow years for me because I couldn’t care less about today’s Sony output. Like this guy:

Indiana Jones and Stalker 2 both interest me more than Silent Hill and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. I'll give Microsoft the exclusive edge for 2024.
Whatever floats your boat. I’m more excited about next year’s Civilization than next year’s GTA, and objectively GTA is a bigger seller. No company has had a big year for me since 2011 or something like that so whatever. This one is another fine not fantastic year to me.

To me third parties are single handedly carrying the industry.

Crayon

I only own a PS5 now, but I’ve had more than enough games to play this year, and I can genuinely say that I haven’t looked at the other platforms and felt like I was missing out.

I could have gone with just my PC or just my psv for the last couple years. I would have missed out on a few things, but I can't say i would have had any less fun. There's just too many games in the world.

Since most gamers I meet have just one platform, I tell them you don't get multiple consoles so you can play everything, but because you can play anything. Even if I got walked out of a few things, there would still be heaps and heaps of top tier games to play as long as you tastes aren't super narrow. I

It keeps things neat to do everything on one platform, though. Matter of preference. I don't mind shuffling platforms too much.

nial

BTW, for anyone putting Stellar Blade in the same category as Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, here's how Sony was involved with each game:
~64% of the staff in Stellar Blade is from SIE, lol (the rest is a combination of Shift Up and external partners, such as Virtuos, Sheer, and Streamline Media Group).
In comparison, SIE staff only makes up 2,5% of the entire professional role credits of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (a moneyhatted game)!
I haven't done this with Rise of the Ronin, but expect it to be the same as Stellar Blade.

Fake

Gold Member
"PS5 had no games this year"

"Yes, they had several"

"No they didn't - name them"

"Here's several PS5 games this year that are all highly acclaimed"

"OMG! LIST WARZZZ! Pathetic."

Who is saying PS5 has no games? Me?

LMAO are you guys high or something?

What people do to defend a company. Gonna get out of this thread as soon as possible. Enjoy your silly rethoric fanboys.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

What exclusives have Microsoft had this year?

Indiana Jones and Stalker 2 are releasing this year, 2024. I have high interest in both. Already preordered Stalker 2 deluxe edition. The only reason I'm haven't bought Indiana yet is due to concern over ideologies I don't agree with being shoehorned into the game.

playbignbox

I'm happy with Sony releasing Astro Bot and Helldrivers 2 as first-party games this year, both are excellent, but I don't think that just two new games are enough, anyway.

Regarding the third-party games exclusive to PS5 that Sony paid for, I don't even consider this a victory as a consumer, because I would play them whether Sony got involved or not (as exclusives or not), but I'm sure people who love console wars will brag about Sony having bought the exclusive release of these games, just like other users will act when Stalker 2 is released exclusively on Xbox.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Regarding the third-party games exclusive to PS5 that Sony paid for, I don't even consider this a victory as a consumer, because I would play them whether Sony got involved or not (as exclusives or not),

They wouldn't be made if Sony didn't get involved (likely) and certainly not at the same level of quality. These are largely lower budget AA games that are hard to justify these days, but they continue to fund them because they diversify the lineup. Without Sony's support, the games would not exist in their current form.

Mister Wolf

You prefer 2 games that haven’t been released from Microsoft to 2 critically acclaimed games from sony?

I'm sure there have been plenty of critically acclaimed games and oscar award winning movies that you didn't give a shit about through the years. I played 7 Intergrade. Didn't care for the story or combat much. Was nothing to write home about. Never got caught up in all of the hype for the original FF7 neither. Have never played a single Silent Hill game and don't plan on playing this one.

playbignbox

They wouldn't be made if Sony didn't get involved (likely) and certainly not at the same level of quality. These are largely lower budget AA games that are hard to justify these days, but they continue to fund them because they diversify the lineup. Without Sony's support, the games would not exist in their current form.
I think this may be true for some games, but for others I don't believe it. I don't think Square Enix needs Sony to release a mainline game for their most popular IP, or that Konami needs Sony to release a remake of one of the greatest classics in the horror genre. Of course, these are usually mutually advantageous deals (except in cases where a commercial flop happens, like FF7 Rebirth), but I don't see how they "likely" wouldn't be developed without Sony paying for the exclusivity.

And about the other games, Wukong was a case of Microsoft's own incompetence more than Sony's merit. Stellar Blade and Ronin might be true of what you said, although I didn't really like Ronin that much and I thought Wo Long last year was better, but whatever.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think this may be true for some games, but for others I don't believe it. I don't think Square Enix needs Sony to release a mainline game for their most popular IP, or that Konami needs Sony to release a remake of one of the greatest classics in the horror genre. Of course, these are usually mutually advantageous deals (except in cases where a commercial flop happens, like FF7 Rebirth), but I don't see how they "likely" wouldn't be developed without Sony paying for the exclusivity.

And about the other games, Wukong was a case of Microsoft's own incompetence more than Sony's merit. Stellar Blade and Ronin might be true of what you said, although I didn't really like Ronin that much and I thought Wo Long last year was better, but whatever.

True for Square, not so sure about Konami given their almost complete abandonment of AAA ever since Kojima was forced out

Stellar Blade, Ronin, etc. are good examples though.

truth411

Indiana Jones and Stalker 2 are releasing this year, 2024. I have high interest in both. Already preordered Stalker 2 deluxe edition. The only reason I'm haven't bought Indiana yet is due to concern over ideologies I don't agree with being shoehorned into the game.
Whatever floats your boat.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
A bad year for PS5 results in....

Astro Bot
Final Fantasy Rebirth
Helldivers 2
Rise of Ronin
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
TLOU 2 Remastered
Horizon Remastered
Wu Kong
PS5 Pro enhanced games

You guys better hope they don't have a good year in 2025. I'm not sure you'll be able to handle it. Lol.
I'm saying, this year is so fucking packed, I'm ok with AC Shadows and KCD2 being delayed and will have to buy Silent Hill 2 later next year, this year is packed to the point where I don't have the time for shit I already bought lol

So if this year is a bad year for PS5, holy fucking shit, next year is going to have folks wallets having SVU THINGS HAPPEN TO IT!

yogaflame

Small number of great exclusives compared to Ps1 and ps2 era were every year we have tons of great exclusives even RPG which I love. But still we had great exclusives this year like for example Ps5 exclusives; Stellar Blade, FF7 rebirth, Rise of Ronin, Astro bot. And games that appear both ps5 and pc, like for example Silent Hill 2 remake and Hell diver 2. But I still hope next year we will have more exclusives, especially with the birth of ps5 pro. But hopefully those exclusive games next year will not be poisoned and plague by influence of SBI and other consulting groups with twisted agendas.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I only had to turn on my ps5 for stellar balde because i could play wukong and helldivers much better on my pc day one and i could not care less for remilk 2 or astro, so yeah maybe a great year for people who only own a ps5.

For me it was the worse ps5 year since launch.

Mister Wolf

I hope Indy gets killed by a strong indypendent woman

It would be more like his traditional female sidekick/tagalong that he is always accompanied by on an adventure is now his intellectual equal when it comes to archeology. And the story seeking out ways to undermine his character. That would be horseshit and basically sacrificing his character to Feminism. Which you seem to worship haha.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
*but, but, but...

Lol.
Hate to break it to you but a lot of us PS5 owners also have PCs and play the PC version first. Your list has a lot of crap that does not make us care about the PS5 or wouldn't make people considering a choice between PC and PS really move in one direction over another. PS games eventually make it over to PC and low exclusives output like they had this year does not make a good argument for owning a PS5 if you have a gaming PC.

Astrobot was great. FFVIIRebirth was good. What's really missing is a big holiday game. Lego Horizon is not it, though I am contemplating getting it to coop with the kids, but I could do that on Switch of all places.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
How dare you be interested in new games
I know, right? I remember playing both Silent Hill 2 Remake and FF Rebirth in the 90s! What a time!

KungFucius KungFucius

And yet, the PS5 still sells in droves. Know why that is? Because people are interested in it. That you and other PC users (I’m part of that crowd) may “lose interest” in PS5 because some games eventually come to that platform does not negate his point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom