• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Maybesew

I've started back up with SS since finishing P4G earlier today. I'm not very high level, I htink 7 life, 9 magic. Anyone want to play online? I'm not even sure how exactly. PSN: Stuartismydog

cj_iwakura

I've started back up with SS since finishing P4G earlier today. I'm not very high level, I htink 7 life, 9 magic. Anyone want to play online? I'm not even sure how exactly. PSN: Stuartismydog

Sadly you can only do it with Avalon quests, but they're fun to tinker with.

Shengar

Dancing around bosses like the Minotaur and Cyclops once you've mastered the way this game works is entirely too much fun. I feel like the game's slowly clicking for me.

Wraith is straight-up BS.

I thought the Wyvern is pure bullshit
Until I met Wraith
Screw everything

swnny

At last I fixed (or at least I really hope so) my connectivity problems and played online for 4 and a half hours straight. So much fun! I f*cking love it! Reminds me of the good old days with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and xlink kai... (btw, MHP3rd is playable online using the PPSSPP emulator)

I'm still kinda new to the game, but I have lots of experience with the genre and I'm not dying too easily even at higher difficulty quests. So, if anyone is willing to tag alone at ~30lvl (and up) quests, feel free to add me - PSN: swnnyh
Actually, please, add me, because my friend list is almost empty and I'm feeling lonely. :(

Ogawa-san

Been trying to make the game click but so far it's not working. I like everything about it, except the combat... It's such a chore, I must be doing something horribly wrong.

I'm at the Elven Queen right now. Am I supposed to spend more time farming and combining stuff this early in the game to go in with more charges? It feels the time I spent fighting archfiends in general is 90% running around after recharges or after them once they fly literally across the map, and 10% actually hitting them. Am I going to waste my time farming or is it going to make a difference there?

I'm going in with 14~15 charges fire projectiles + something with ice to break it. I'm not stuck at that boss or anything, but if it's taking a long time with the right elements then fighting Magusar before lv99 must take about an hour.

cj_iwakura

What's the name of the menu music that plays during Heretic Savior? It also has vocals, but much sadder.

Killed Wraith and Valkyrie! Siren should be a cinch compared to them. I like how she's not just a palette swap, some stuff is new.

Shengar

What's the name of the menu music that plays during Heretic Savior? It also has vocals, but much sadder.

Killed Wraith and Valkyrie! Siren should be a cinch compared to them. I like how she's not just a palette swap, some stuff is new.

Wait, Siren has new moves? Am I destroyed her cursed part to quick since her moves is just the one that Cyclops use (minus the curling around move).

cyborg009

Banned

You still haven't fought Levithan or other DLC bosses? The DLC bosses change things up a lot like trolls and the gods.

KuroNeeko

Been trying to make the game click but so far it's not working. I like everything about it, except the combat... It's such a chore, I must be doing something horribly wrong.

I'm at the Elven Queen right now. Am I supposed to spend more time farming and combining stuff this early in the game to go in with more charges? It feels the time I spent fighting archfiends in general is 90% running around after recharges or after them once they fly literally across the map, and 10% actually hitting them. Am I going to waste my time farming or is it going to make a difference there?

I'm going in with 14~15 charges fire projectiles + something with ice to break it. I'm not stuck at that boss or anything, but if it's taking a long time with the right elements then fighting Magusar before lv99 must take about an hour.

I have a hard time explaining what makes the game work for me. Like you, it took a long time for it to finally click.

I guess it's partially the satisfaction of mastering something - whether it's dodging nearly all of an enemy's attacks, consistently countering an enemy, or decimating a boss that you once had trouble with.

Are you going into these fights solo? Elven Queen should go down fairly quickly if you're using fire. I think I'm about 16/16 and I use fire-elemental boulders, the shrapnel-based fire projectiles, Ice Thorns, the mid-range fire homing attack, your standard heal, and one random ability.

If you're balance or Magic-specced, you can just unleash your spells on the Elven Queen. Then when your stock gets low, charge the homing attack to the second stage and ignite the cat doods. Back up, hit them with Ice Thorns for the shatter and start charging fire again. When they rush you, hit them mid stride for the counter - boom, then sac or save.

Soul Sacrifice features a very unique scoring system - it's not common-sensical like your other games. Once you stop thinking about the way it should be and start concentrating on how it is - you can start racking in the bonuses.

Still, I only play this game in bursts before I need to take a break. Bosses when you first encounter them are really annoying. The bat assassin dood was particularly frustrating. I'd say give it a bit more time - if it doesn't click, well at least you can say you tried. It probably took me...about 10 hours to really start liking it.

* The only thing I don't really like about SS is the voice acting. The english version has TotalBiscuit and the Japanese version just sounds off. I hope they change it around a bit for Delta.

Sora_N

Started this lately, a little confused about the attacks.

So basically Square Circle and Triangle each have different possible 'attacks'? And they all work differently? I equipped different ones into each of the buttons and had no real clue what I was doing.

cj_iwakura

So basically Square Circle and Triangle each have different possible 'attacks'? And they all work differently? I equipped different ones into each of the buttons and had no real clue what I was doing.

You assign different spells to them from your arsenal. It gets better as you gain more of them.

Just remember that they can run out, and sacrificing recharges them. Took me a while to learn that one.

Sora_N

You assign different spells to them from your arsenal. It gets better as you gain more of them.

Just remember that they can run out, and sacrificing recharges them. Took me a while to learn that one.

Okay yeah, that makes a lot more sense since they can run out. Thanks! I'll give the game another go tomorrow. :)

Shengar

Soul Sacrifice features a very unique scoring system - it's not common-sensical like your other games. Once you stop thinking about the way it should be and start concentrating on how it is - you can start racking in the bonuses.

I really like Soul Sacrifice scoring sytem, but it need serious tweak on the bonuses themselves. The major bulk of the score racked up from Unscathed which worth 150 points, and trying to achieve no injury for some bosses sometime become anti-fun for me.There are many condition, but those conditions are very situational and really depends on the type of the boss and the grunt. Counter for example, is really hard to get if the grunt that respawned is Ghouls or the boss is one of the type that can't stop moving (Wyvern, Valkyrie, etc). Destroying cursed part also important if you want to racked up bonuses, but some bosses are nearly impossible to get all of their parts destroyed either because they have too many (and regenerating on top of that aka Hydra and Kraken) or some part is inexplicably very tough to destroy (I for one never destroyed all part of Phoenix). If I could get Destroyed All Cursed Parts or Counter bonus, I wouldn't bother try to finish the battle uninjured as doing Black Rite will ensure me to get Legendary Sorcerer most of the time. But if I can't because all the factor I've explained above, Unscathed sometime is the only way to get Legendary Sorcerer rating, and it isn't fun if you fight bosses like Valkyrie or Wraith.

swnny

Think of the offerings(which you assign in every slot) as a summon/conjure. Like summoning an ice sword in your hands. Depending on what offering you slot, you will summon different weapons or spells. And of course, the offerings have an limited number of casts, which can be renewed by sacrificing enemies, or from special places on the map.

cyborg009

Banned
Doing the assorted Avalon quests for levels, I'm at 22/28 now. Still got stomped by Magusar... did a little better though.

Get the Dragon Slayer sigil it will help you out a lot.

You can obtain it by sacrificing and saving illlcebra at least once. You probably sacrificed her in story mode so you'll just need to save her to get the sigil.

maouvin

No, but seems like some of them restored
when he changed forms

Some of offerings were blinking red before that, and were restored when I checked again. Dunno if related, but they weren't on the set I was using at the moment.

baekshi

Banned
No, but seems like some of them restored
when he changed forms

Some of offerings were blinking red before that, and were restored when I checked again. Dunno if related, but they weren't on the set I was using at the moment.

Yeah, that's when it should restore.I beated him at 100 level a week or 2 ago, took less than 3 minutes and didn't have to restore anything as they were far off from being breakable. When
he change formed,
your set at bottom should blink once white to show it restored some if not all.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hi, 1st post in this thread.

Doing the assorted Avalon quests for levels, I'm at 22/28 now. Still got stomped by Magusar... did a little better though.

Here is my setup for beating Magusar.

Sigil
Base Slayer sigil II -> increase attack or cause and effect sigil
Increase throw spell
Increase weapon spell
Increase <element name>
Increase <element name>

Offering
3 Thrown spell, i use 2 Arrowhead M and ice thorn
1 Weapon spell
1 Healing
1 Anything you like

When the fight start, spam your throwing spell like mad, after all of them about to be depleted, Magusar should be close to death or even death.

On the 2nd fight, get under him, and attack him from there, use black rites Infernus when he's in red, since chance are, your spell probably about to be exhausted. Hope it can help

cj_iwakura

Get the Dragon Slayer sigil it will help you out a lot.

You can obtain it by sacrificing and saving illlcebra at least once. You probably sacrificed her in story mode so you'll just need to save her to get the sigil.

Yeah, don't have this or the above recommended Base Slayer. I'm sure I did both of those, too... I saved her, then when she came back at me, I sacrificed her.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah, don't have this or the above recommended Base Slayer. I'm sure I did both of those, too... I saved her, then when she came back at me, I sacrificed her.

Noo it doesn't work like that. Since you saved her before sacrifing her first you get the LE sigil. Just go back and just sacrifice her only.

cj_iwakura

Weird, I still don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Well, I got to the second form.

Ow.

And here's me boy;

wxJSXz2.jpg

cyborg009

Banned
Weird, I still don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Well, I got to the second form.

Ow.

And here's me boy;

wxJSXz2.jpg

To get the dragon slayer sigil:

During story mode where Illecbra is on the floor you do the following:
Sad Witch LE: Saved her,(This will revive her and then start attack you, Kill her then sacrifice)

Sad Witch SE: Go up to her and just sacrifice.

The dragon slayer sigil is on your palm by the way and also you really need to get more Large spells.

edit: tip for magusar first form is to drop a golem down when he is summoning his.

cj_iwakura

To get the dragon slayer sigil:

During story mode where Illecbra is on the floor you do the following:
Sad Witch LE: Saved her,(This will revive her and then start attack you, Kill her then sacrifice)

Sad Witch SE: Go up to her and just sacrifice.

The dragon slayer sigil is on your palm by the way and also you really need to get more Large spells.

edit: tip for magusar first form is to drop a golem down when he is summoning his.

Is there a guide to crafting the large spells? I'm missing the items for almost everything.

maouvin

The matchmaking in this game sucks. As a new player I just get kicked from any room I enter.. -_-

I want to catch up though, so please add me to your PSN! :) ingueferroque

Just got into this game and I'm absolutely loving it. Just beat a pair of giant pumpkin dudes so I'm still pretty early on I would guess.
Any tips for a beginner? Also is it okay to keep my soul/sacrifice thing balanced or is focusing on one the preferred choice?

What's the combat like in Soul Sacrifice?

Asking since this game is often cast as a monhun clone, and I pretty much hate the combat in monhun and god eater. It feels far too stilted and boring to me - and yes, I know it's apparently deep or something, but not in a way that appeals to me. Was hoping this might be more free flowing(something a bit more like DMC).

Was also wondering the same of Toukiden, if anyone has played the jp version...

ZeroAKA

What's the combat like in Soul Sacrifice?

Asking since this game is often cast as a monhun clone, and I pretty much hate the combat in monhun and god eater. It feels far too stilted and boring to me - and yes, I know it's apparently deep or something, but not in a way that appeals to me. Was hoping this might be more free flowing(something a bit more like DMC).

Was also wondering the same of Toukiden, if anyone has played the jp version...
Play the demo, the combat itself is very different from MH. Toukiden is more like MH and GE though.

Top Bottom