• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Lucent

Really loving this and am going to preorder tommorow if I can. I have a few questions:

How does this compare to MH series? Not in terms of, "should I play SS or MH" but just in terms of, if I have never played MH but want to understand it in terms of SS, what are the differences? I picked up SS because I have not played this kind of game before and frankly it has never appealed to me as I'm usually more interested in exploration than combat. But I positively love how tight the controls are and generally just how ridiculously challenging and strategic it is.

Second question is, given the fact that for now the vita memory cards are fairly limited and/or expensive, is there really any advantage to owning the digital-only version? I don't mean pre-orders, I just see so many people saying they want the PSN version whereas I normally would prefer a cart and I feel like maybe I am missing something.

I don't feel good enough yet to participate in groups but maybe I will check out the gaf rooms, at any rate I am PsySal (on PSN and in SS.)

I would say the only real similarity to MH is that you're hunting monsters in both. lol.

Some differences are that in MH you are hunting for monsters and gathering items to create armor and weapons. In SS, you're hunting monsters to level up between light (which increases defense and recovery) and dark (increases attack). Going towards dark or light levels up your arm. You're also hunting to earn spells as rewards after mission and combine them to either improve them or fusing them to create new spells.

Depending on your arm level, you can use certain sigils to add different effects to yourself (sort of like adding gems to your armor in MH).

Unlike MH, there is no stamina bar. So you can run like crazy. Your spells, however, are limited, so you gotta watch them and kill enemies to sacrifice to renew offerings or even find offering spots.

I personally think this is more streamlined than MH was. You don't have a lot of areas within the map to run to so you're not worried about picking plants, mining for ore or gathering honey. Just kill stuff. There is some gathering but it's really not as tedious as it was in MH.

I personally like both but SS seems like it was made to be more enjoyable on a portable platform.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm personally getting the digital version. The reason is because Sony doesn't make it hard to retrieve digital media if the Vita breaks or something. It's tied to your account. So you can't lose the game unless they eventually shut down the service and you lose your memory card or it dies on you. Plus it's nice to have it at ready to play. With the way physical vita games are, I don't care as much for having them because the boxes have nothing in them except the game really.

ijed

Also early on keep an eye out for her sucking attack, she has an easy tell (rears back and yells at the sky), and not only put distance between you and her but also put something physically between you two, like the wind mill or those land pieces with the wings.

You can also use a AOE heal to stop you getting sucked up by the harpy - Or if you can get a rolling ball magic off in time that's very satisfying

I feel a bit stupid asking but having digitally preordered and preloaded the game, will I have to be online for the game to unlock or does the process rely on my Vita's internal clock?
I'm going abroad next week and don't know if I'll have an Internet access.

How does this compare to MH series? Not in terms of, "should I play SS or MH" but just in terms of, if I have never played MH but want to understand it in terms of SS, what are the differences? I picked up SS because I have not played this kind of game before and frankly it has never appealed to me as I'm usually more interested in exploration than combat. But I positively love how tight the controls are and generally just how ridiculously challenging and strategic it is.

This one isn't boring and doesn't feel like doing household chores when playing

Ken

Is boosting offerings just taking extra copies of offerings and making one offering with more charges than normal?

What are some good early fusions I should aim for in general?

Foxix Von

Is boosting offerings just taking extra copies of offerings and making one offering with more charges than normal?

From what I understand this is only true up until rank 3. After that you start getting power bonuses I think.

B.O.O.M

Mudfiend entrails and treefiend entrails are the best fusions imo. They do some major damage when used properly

Shoyz

Only 11 hours left to preorder from Amazon if you want to get it on release day.

I feel a bit stupid asking but having digitally preordered and preloaded the game, will I have to be online for the game to unlock or does the process rely on my Vita's internal clock?
I'm going abroad next week and don't know if I'll have an Internet access.

I've never preloaded a Vita game but rest assured it's online-only to download the unlock key. Otherwise feel free to go offline and turn the clock on your Vita ahead to enjoy the full game early.

Only 11 hours left to preorder from Amazon if you want to get it on release day.

I've never preloaded a Vita game but rest assured it's online-only to download the unlock key. Otherwise feel free to go offline and turn the clock on your Vita ahead to enjoy the full game early.

Can't wait for super tuesday to get my copy.

maverick40

Playing the game now (review purposes). It is very good, so glad a sequel is in talks too! I can't wait to play online also

Guymelef

Physical game, no Memory Card.
BrjMfj4.jpeg

RpgN

I think it's nice that you can transfer your progress from the demo to the full game. More demos need to be like this.

I heard the demo is on a separate file, how can you transfer your save file to the full game?

(I haven't read the previous pages, apologies if the question is repeated too often)

Number45

I heard the demo is on a separate file, how can you transfer your save file to the full game?

(I haven't read the previous pages, apologies if the question is repeated too often)
I don't think we quite know. I assume that it recognises the demo save when you launch the full game.

Shoyz

Physical game, no Memory Card.

Should I laugh a that mistake or get angry you(?) have a copy this early?

I don't think we quite know. I assume that it recognises the demo save when you launch the full game.

Probably the same way PSP ones worked. You boot up the game, 'import' the save, and then you save a retail version of it. So you probably just need to keep the demo on your card until the first time you save in the retail game.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Ill play if game is open

Whoops- responding to last nights posts.

Still down for some ss if anyone wants

Nvm - gf making me drive her to work

Later ill play

I joined a room where 3 players were farming Jack o Lantern for this SE+ thing (not sure why), but it was fun bum rushing that pumpkin and destroying it in 2 minutes. Always got like 500+ points from each run, plus got some items to fuse/upgrade. Still haven't beat Cerberus yet, but I joined a group where the host kept sacrificing everyone that died, but it didn't bother me actually (the other players got mad).

Number45

I joined a room where 3 players were farming Jack o Lantern for this SE+ thing (not sure why), but it was fun bum rushing that pumpkin and destroying it in 2 minutes. Always got like 500+ points from each run, plus got some items to fuse/upgrade. Still haven't beat Cerberus yet, but I joined a group where the host kept sacrificing everyone that died, but it didn't bother me actually (the other players got mad).
If he sacrifices people when Cerberus is anything but almost dead it's a recipe for failure. Played in a match the other night where people were constantly calling to be sacrificed when he was green/yellow. :/

Shoyz

If he sacrifices people when Cerberus is anything but almost dead it's a recipe for failure. Played in a match the other night where people were constantly calling to be sacrificed when he was green/yellow. :/

I had a game where my two teammates died -constantly- when he was yellow and kept begging for revives. And of course, running away before I could heal them, to die in due time.

After 6 or 7 revives I cut the dead weight and fought it myself. I lost, but some people are more trouble than it's worth to revive them..maybe your guys knew that.

The Cerberus fight is pretty much a perfect view of this game. It requires the right spells, teamwork, and knowledge of the boss' movements. The fact that he can outclass four lvl 20 characters if they don't play perfectly can make for some pretty intense moments.

Can't wait to see the top-tier bosses.

Cha

I had a game where my two teammates died -constantly- when he was yellow and kept begging for revives. And of course, running away before I could heal them, to die in due time.

After 6 or 7 revives I cut the dead weight and fought it myself. I lost, but some people are more trouble than it's worth to revive them..maybe your guys knew that.

EXACTLY! Some people are too hasty. What really gets on my nerves is people spamming "save me" at 30fps :p I also immediately plop down to heal. Keep a shield in the same page as the heal blossom just in case an attack is heading my way while healing. Wish one of the in-game chat options was, "Chill, I got you covered".

Anyhow, Just did a match where I was the only person alive. 2 "chose death" and the other was sacrificed early. What a mission.

Anyone here online right now and need help/wanna grind for items/hungry for some flame grilled Harpy? Character name is Jiang ZhiShu

Shoyz

Anyhow, Just did a match where I was the only person alive. 2 "chose death" and the other was sacrificed early. What a mission.

Is 'Choose Death' where they simply disappear and deny you the ability to sacrifice them? Ugh! Had someone do that right at the start and contribute nothing for the entire fight. But of course he stayed for the rewards.

May16

If I get the Japanese version of the game can I jump in and interact with you guys that are playing the demo and/or the international versions?

DigitalOp

Banned
I broke my Stormbird offering during last nights game and got pissed lol. I just realized its one of my favorite spells, Never used it till then. I'll definitely be boosting that one.

Soo guys, Im interested in aquiring a Golem. What are the steps necessary to get it? I already have timesand... But It seems I should get more ay??

kuroshiki

I broke my Stormbird offering during last nights game and got pissed lol. I just realized its one of my favorite spells, Never used it till then. I'll definitely be boosting that one.

Soo guys, Im interested in aquiring a Golem. What are the steps necessary to get it? I already have timesand... But It seems I should get more ay??

You need an egg.

I think one of those early quests gives it to you.

kuroshiki

I give them usually 2 revives and after that I just sacrifice them whether they like it or not.

In my opinion if you die more than 2 times in this game you are 1)playing it wrong 2) don't know what you are doing.

Number45

Errm, this is an awkward question, but how do you use the text chat in-game? (Not in the lobby)
Yeah, I didn't know this either.

I give them usually 2 revives and after that I just sacrifice them whether they like it or not.

In my opinion if you die more than 2 times in this game you are 1)playing it wrong 2) don't know what you are doing.
The vast majority of my deaths in this game come from trying to save/sacrifice people.

Want this game to support the Vita but still on the fence. I didn't enjoy the demo as I would've liked to. I didn't know it was a boss killing game. The game is good but its not my kind of game.

I'll see later on if I'll get it or not.

Yep. To make a plain ass Golem you need an Irondrake Egg and Timesand.

Do the 4th single player mission and you should get the egg.

Strangely enough, the Golem you get for that combination has no element, even though it looks like it should be a stone elemental.

we got paired up with some jerks in those 2 games we played.

in the first some dude went down pretty early on, waits til I revive him, and just up and leaves. I essentially wasted half my health for no reason at all.

In the second game we finally beat Cerberus and some ass uses the the harpys roar right as everyones sacrifing/saving, blasting us all away, and just took the boss soul for himself. I don't think anyone was expecting that, lol.

RMI

Banned
I think it's nice that you can transfer your progress from the demo to the full game. More demos need to be like this.

yes this is a really cool feature! I wasn't even going to bother with the demo but once I heard this I figured might as well since I'm getting the game anyway. Another game that did this was Etrian Odyssey IV for the 3DS. I Think it's a hard system to implement, because not all games have demos that start you right from the beginning of the game, which makes sense. For games that do though, it's an awesome feature.

Anyway, not sure I quite loved the demo, but it was intriguing and hey a game to buy on the Vita.

Want this game to support the Vita but still on the fence. I didn't enjoy the demo as I would've liked to. I didn't know it was a boss killing game. The game is good but its not my kind of game.

I'll see later on if I'll get it or not.

I wasn't a big fan of these types of games either but I really like this one, I like the combat better then say monster hunter or Ragnarok odyssey, also like the art in this better then those, I only played a bit of the demo, haven't even played online yet but really enjoyed.

DigitalOp

Banned
we got paired up with some jerks in those 2 games we played.

in the first some dude went down pretty early on, waits til I revive him, and just up and leaves. I essentially wasted half my health for no reason at all.

In the second game we finally beat Cerberus and some ass uses the the harpys roar right as everyones sacrifing/saving, blasting us all away, and just took the boss soul for himself. I don't think anyone was expecting that, lol.

I remember that shit man!! He really did have harpy roar to screw everyone over!! I can't wait till the final game has voice chat. lls. that was some foul stunt he pulled smh haha. I think Im maxed out though, I got a even 10/10 split

But it was good matches. We should get some more GAF people in some matches or try some 2 v Boss one night

Number45

I was trying to grind Sortiara last night (she's a bitch!) for the Stoneaxe Edge, and if my golem was alive near her body it keeps attacking even though she's dead.

Really struggle to get Legendary in that fight. :(

Played my first few multiplayer matches last night, was a blast. I can really see the allure of this.

Keep getting first rate though, finding it kind of hard to get above it in multiplayer. I think i'm taking too much damage. Need to dodge better.

Cha

Holy Cow, Cerberus is one strong puppy!
4 Infurnus, 2 sacrifices, 1 chose death, and I still had to duke it out with that 3 headed mutt for about 10 minutes before he finally fell.

Need the full game now! Directly into my arm!

^Stormbird pinion is a lifesaver against Cerberus' spear.

ZeroAKA

Just played a game in which 1 person disconnected, 1 person used Inferus while Cerberus was at yellow, and 1 person chose death. I chose to disconnect too. >.>

KiraFA37

I was trying to grind Sortiara last night (she's a bitch!) for the Stoneaxe Edge, and if my golem was alive near her body it keeps attacking even though she's dead.

Really struggle to get Legendary in that fight. :(

I had troubles too farming her but I found a perfect build, that almost always guarantees legendary . Sanguine/Bood cannon, nothing else. Just run around her blasting her with it. Once she's in the red sacrifice your skin and she's done for.

I usually finish her in 1-2 minutes and because I sacrificed my skin I also get the martyr reward.

Number45

I had troubles too farming her but I found a perfect build, that almost always guarantees legendary . Sanguine/Bood cannon, nothing else. Just run around her blasting her with it. Once she's in the red sacrifice your skin and she's done for.

I usually finish her in 1-2 minutes and because I sacrificed my skin I also get the martyr reward.
Ooh, thanks for this. I never run with that ability. :)

Top Bottom