• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

our first "40" review :/
http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/soul-sacrifice-review

Reviewer clocked 15 hours of SP gameplay, 2 hours of multiplayer

tumblr_lzklnpa8IM1qcnzaso1_500.gif

screenshot of playtime now or bust.

ZeroAKA

Someone explain to me the appeal of Sanguine offerings and how to effectively use them. Do they really do as much damage as they're hyped up to be?

Shoyz

Someone explain to me the appeal of Sanguine offerings and how to effectively use them. Do they really do as much damage as they're hyped up to be?

It's not so much the damage but that it's instant and can be used as long as you can refill your HP, theoretically infinite. If you're grinding Life it's a free infinite-use insta-kill for all grunts. For killing grunts there's nothing faster. For bosses it still seems incredibly efficient at breaking parts, I've managed to break all three of Cerberus's heads with a single knock-down without any blood buffs.

By end game you get an 80 damage burst Sanguine, and the two best Blood buffs give +50%/+40% (90%) and +25%/+25%(50%) for a 140% total Blood buff.

That review is awful.

I can understand giving this game - or really any in this genre - a bad score. It takes a fairly specific type of person to enjoy it. It's not accessible as a shooter or sports game or something. But that reviewer claims he has 900 hours of Monster Hunter experience but then doesn't understand basic staples of the genre (like powerful weapons/spells taking longer, the need to grind, etc). I mean, are you telling me he played 900 hours of Monster Hunter and didn't need to grind at all? Or he never used a slower, more powerful attack in that entire time?

That review is awful.

3Kaze

Great games DigitalOp and whoever I played with :p
That Hydra Avalon 10 pact with "low level" party was pretty fun.

OmegaZero

Blood Offerings are unique because they have unlimited uses. As long as you have the health, you can deal constant damage which means you don't have to worry about refilling it mid-battle. While they're fairly weak per individual hit, the damage does add up if you're aggressive. In combination with a Blood sigil, you can take care of bosses fairly quickly with minimal offering management.

You should generally fire it while strafing, which allows you to produce a stream of constant damage by negating the animation where the sorcerer flicks the blood off his hand.
Using lock-on also allows you to easily hit flying enemies as well.

The main trick to using them effectively is managing your health. It's easier for Life-focused builds since the higher recovery means that you need to use less offerings to restore your health and the higher defense means you don't have to worry about getting hit too much. Using Regenesis Seeds before you start firing allows you to attack the enemy for a longer period of time, and is always a good strategy regardless of your Arm type.

I would say that there are definitely faster ways of dealing damage to enemies but they also require more management and timing to use effectively.

wilflare

Blood Offerings are unique because they have unlimited uses. As long as you have the health, you can deal constant damage which means you don't have to worry about refilling it mid-battle. While they're fairly weak per individual hit, the damage does add up if you're aggressive. In combination with a Blood sigil, you can take care of bosses fairly quickly with minimal offering management.

You should generally fire it while strafing, which allows you to produce a stream of constant damage by negating the animation where the sorcerer flicks the blood off his hand.
Using lock-on also allows you to easily hit flying enemies as well.

The main trick to using them effectively is managing your health. It's easier for Life-focused builds since the higher recovery means that you need to use less offerings to restore your health and the higher defense means you don't have to worry about getting hit too much. Using Regenesis Seeds before you start firing allows you to attack the enemy for a longer period of time, and is always a good strategy regardless of your Arm type.

I would say that there are definitely faster ways of dealing damage to enemies but they also require more management and timing to use effectively.

hmm... but isn't the range for Blood offerings kinda short

Shoyz

Maan, not only do they force you to wear the ugly masks, but transformations force a default face on you as well? The only visible part of my character is the lips, and they aren't the right lips anymore..

DigitalOp

Banned
Great games DigitalOp and whoever I played with :p
That Hydra Avalon 10 pact with "low level" party was pretty fun.

Amazing games man, Shout outs to nampad, Rodrigo!! Dreamer as well for the last min game!!

Those were literally the best games Ive played to date, easily topping the Demo. Now I can get more pacts in SP, You guys helped me soo much!! Thanks.

I learned so much more about the game. To all low level players, Don't be afraid of high level pacts!! You can still do alot for the team without even causing damage.

-Add to Status Ailments (Any treeroot will help regardless of level)
-Heal Blossoms for Support
-Timesand on stunned bosses
-Gain Aggro for teammates to get downtime
-Kill grunts for more offering fodder
-Set yourself up as a Sacrifice when its time

Your team is everything in this game. Do the best you can to help out!!

Funny thing, After we beat Illcebera, My Vita straight up died!! I was like no!!! lost all those offerings!!! Charged it and booted back up... Took me right back to rewards page and results!!

Vita confirmed best system ever!! Lol

PROTIP: When playing online in your house, HAVE YOUR VITA PLUGGED IN lol

Regardless if it truly matters, this game has the most unfair review scores

I was Elyra, great games indeed. Thought you were kidding about pact 10 Hydra ;)
Kinda surprised we made it.

haha that was sick. Crazy match and we made it with 1 survivor!! haha

I was a 9/14 I think and I dropped the Hydra 3 or 4 times! I was so hyped lol
I was a sacrifice kill too in one of our matches, That got me hyped as well

OmegaZero

hmm... but isn't the range for Blood offerings kinda short

Yeah, but still long enough to be effective in many situations.

Maan, not only do they force you to wear the ugly masks, but transformations force a default face on you as well? The only visible part of my character is the lips, and they aren't the right lips anymore..

Yup. When you get to 99/1, your entire face will (most likely) look completely different from what you chose.

Gamespawn

Any word on either One Piece or Time Travelers coming overseas? I love Musou games and heard TT was actually pretty good.

What missions did you guys use to grind for Life?

I use the soul shard mission on Avalon 6 (though I am only up to Avalon 7, so there may be a better mission). Goblins die in one hit and give 7 exp. They respawn infinitely so it is usually faster than loading and reloading boss fights.

Shoyz

I use the soul shard mission on Avalon 6 (though I am only up to Avalon 7, so there may be a better mission). Goblins die in one hit and give 7 exp. They respawn infinitely so it is usually faster than loading and reloading boss fights.

I did this for a bit but found it incredibly monotonous. The best I've found is the X Hydra fight. 150 for the Hydra, 11+ per bird (of which you can get 5-7 per fight), takes a little over 3 minutes a run for me.

MAGUSAR AND REMTOR ARE THE DUMBEST THINGS EVER. I am done.

Dude Magusar is worse if you are talking about the Cerberus fight. You can just sacrifice Remtor for being baggage. But stupid Magusar just keeps getting himself killed. I have to farm more Stone offerings before I fight Cerberus.

nampad

Dude Magusar is worse if you are talking about the Cerberus fight. You can just sacrifice Remtor for being baggage. But stupid Magusar just keeps getting himself killed. I have to farm more Stone offerings before I fight Cerberus.

Just don't help them and solo Cerberus, much easier. Both die way too fast and aren't worth reviving. You still can save them after the fight.

Also, one more thing:

Please remember to switch the audio to Japanese

I've ALMOST completely forgotten what the English VA sounded like and it feels glorious

Doing 10 star wyvern is annoying. I've beaten it 2 times and I kind of want to get stronger before tackling it again for the wyvern se++

I need to get slayer sigil 4-5 and heat surge 2 before then.

pantsmith

Outside of the first two you get, and the spell you get for beating Magusar, are there any other Blood attacks I need to pick up?

Shinta

Banned
So, I'm getting farther into this game, and really getting into the story and I like the idea of being a good sorcerer, especially since it's so unusual.

If I heavily, heavily stack towards the divine side will I still be able to get through the game and do well? I almost want to try maxing divine and having literally nothing in dark. Are there any spell setups that you guys recommend, especially for multi-player? I'm fine being more of a support/healer type too.

Also, the missions where people keep resurrecting after you save them and keep fighting you, you have to sacrifice them right? I tried saving up to 3x and it seems like it just repeats.

OmegaZero

So, I'm getting farther into this game, and really getting into the story and I like the idea of being a good sorcerer, especially since it's so unusual.

If I heavily, heavily stack towards the divine side will I still be able to get through the game and do well? I almost want to try maxing divine and having literally nothing in dark. Are there any spell setups that you guys recommend, especially for multi-player? I'm fine being more of a support/healer type too.

Also, the missions where people keep resurrecting after you save them and keep fighting you, you have to sacrifice them right? I tried saving up to 3x and it seems like it just repeats.

You can only get the points and LE from saving someone once. Subsequent saves won't do squat.
In terms of leveling, I would suggest at least going 40/40 to get all the Black Rites. Then slowly grind toward Divine Arm VI while lowering your Magic until you get used to it.

As for support setups, I would recommend that you equip high-level healing offerings and and evasive offerings so you can save downed teammates quickly.

Shinta

Banned
You can only get the points and LE from saving someone once. Subsequent saves won't do squat.
In terms of leveling, I would suggest at least going 40/40 to get all the Black Rites. Then slowly grind toward Divine Arm VI while lowering your Magic until you get used to it.

As for support setups, I would recommend that you equip high-level healing offerings and and evasive offerings so you can save downed teammates quickly.
ahh, didn't realize that about the black rites. Thanks.

Ken

How do i farm for LE+ esssences ? Do you have to do something specific for them or they are just rare random drops ?

Rare random drop from saving. Supposedly higher rank missions have a better chance of dropping + and ++.

When you go up to save/sac a trash mob and it has something like +5/-3, then doing that action will give you a guaranteed + or ++. Not guaranteed for archfiends though.

Loved the Carnatux story. This game has some seriously good lore and writing. Wish it were all packaged in some sort of art book or LE preorder.

"If everyone were rich, there would be no monsters."

B.O.O.M

Loved the Carnatux story. This game has some seriously good lore and writing. Wish it were all packaged in some sort of art book or LE preorder.

"If everyone were rich, there would be no monsters."

Yep finished it a little while ago as well..loved it

This game is just so damn good. Got it today and played like 6 hours straight..only stopped to eat dinner lol

Top Bottom