• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

frequency

I keep this page open in a browser tab on my Vita. Now that you can check the web without killing your game, resources like this are awesome.

http://codepen.io/DouglasGlover/full/HCjmq
Oh thank you for this!

Melee sucks IMO, except against very specific bosses (and for other sorcerers the trident you get as a preorder bonus kills them in no time, while putting them in a stun lock).

Homing magic is by far the best IMO. Early on use the Tri spells, but after you get the 100 damage single roots go for that. They have 21 casts!!! and do a lot of damage. Also never charge them. Use them as you would a melee weapon, get in there and spam the attack button. Also make sure to equip the sigil to up homing damage.
Ah. I only have Tri spells right now but I will try this when I play later.
I was avoiding the Tri spells a little because it spreads out. I think my problem was that I was standing so far away that most of the time only 1 of the branches hit. I need to try to do this in melee range.

Thank you.

Ah. I only have Tri spells right now but I will try this when I play later.
I was avoiding the Tri spells a little because it spreads out. I think my problem was that I was standing so far away that most of the time only 1 of the branches hit. I need to try to do this in melee range.

I was doing similar mistake avoiding tri spells thinking that only one of them will hit boss anyway ;)

How much of a damage boost does charging the homing spells actually get you? Or should you indeed just run up and spam that button?

As for melee weapons, is the damage listed per strike, or per second?

DigitalOp

Banned
I have a question. What does gallantly protective and wickedly murderous mean? I know I've only gotten them while playing online, so I'm pretty sure they're online exclusive and also that I've gotten both at the same time on a quest, so they're not mutually exclusive like you might think. Other than that I have no clue what they mean.

I was getting the Gallantly Protective score in a majority of matches last night.

I was mostly playing a support role. Healing my team, Timesanding Archfiends, Gaining aggro for my team to focus on damage, and reviving dropped teammates.

My best guess is that by doing any of those, you're guaranteed to get that score.

For wickedly murderous... I would guess that means you killed alot of grunts or scarificed a majority of your team? I never got it before.

I don't think so. I'm at level 20 Magic and had the Resolute Sigil for a while now.

Must be random I guess?
I've had Annihilator sigils forever (just got IV last night), but the resolute sigil didn't pop for me until I was fighting Leviathan last night.

Maybe it will pop earlier if you have all the required things to construct/unlock it? Like maybe you had a Cerberus LE+ and SE+ so it unlocked earlier? And since I didn't, it didn't unlock until I hit magic level 50 or so?

How much of a damage boost does charging the homing spells actually get you? Or should you indeed just run up and spam that button?

I think base damage on melee is the damage listed in the offering.
I think your magic level modifies that.
And then your sigils on top of it.

A similar question that I haven't seen an answer for: for throw attacks, is the base damage the damage per projectile or the damage for the entire volley?

ZeroAKA

A similar question that I haven't seen an answer for: for throw attacks, is the base damage the damage per projectile or the damage for the entire volley?
Per projectile, most likely. Otherwise I've been wasting my time with those fire arrows that drop from breaking Centaur.

How does unlocking Avalon stuff work? I want to grind higher level offerings more efficiently :3.
Play through story mode, complete previous Avalon Pacts.

Random thing that I've recently observed: Pressing L while your arrows (thrown offerings) are out resets the targets to aim at what you're currently pointing at. Might be useful if you're trying to focus on a cursed part.

I think you need a high enough magic level. I think I leveled to 50 or 51 last night and it finially gave me the info.

Requires Cerberus LE+ and Cerberus SE+.

Sorry, but the answer here is: learn to dodge. :)

I don't think so. I'm at level 20 Magic and had the Resolute Sigil for a while now.

:S

I have both Cerberus SE+/LE+

But no sigil. I am 28/48 for now. I guess it will unlock in time :D

The damage boost (if any) is very minor from what I've seen. The range improves substantially though. The only reason to charge is because you can't get to the boss for some reason. Even so it's still risky since if you get bumped you lose the spell. So run and spam for me, especially with the L roots that have 21 uses each.

Per projectile, most likely. Otherwise I've been wasting my time with those fire arrows that drop from breaking Centaur.

Play through story mode, complete previous Avalon Pacts.

Random thing that I've recently observed: Pressing L while your arrows (thrown offerings) are out resets the targets to aim at what you're currently pointing at. Might be useful if you're trying to focus on a cursed part.

Arrows are just useful for those annoying birds you otherwise can't get to, and maaaaaaybe stuff like Phoenix. They do pitiful damage to everything else otherwise (even L versions). Eggs are much better IMO. I guess they're OK for causing hell status, but I'm not a big fan. Also hate when I see my online team bring nothing, but those since I know I'll be the one doing all the damage in the fight.

I was getting the Gallantly Protective score in a majority of matches last night.

I was mostly playing a support role. Healing my team, Timesanding Archfiends, Gaining aggro for my team to focus on damage, and reviving dropped teammates.

My best guess is that by doing any of those, you're guaranteed to get that score.

For wickedly murderous... I would guess that means you killed alot of grunts or scarificed a majority of your team? I never got it before.

I've done none of that and gotten it. Wickedly murderous might be for sacrificing lots of grunts though, definitely not team mates.

:S

I have both Cerberus SE+/LE+

But no sigil. I am 28/48 for now. I guess it will unlock in time :D

I was just bitching to the group I was in last night that I didn't even have the info for it. Then one of the last fights of the night against Leviathan it showed up in the "you have info on" rewards. Maybe you need a certain # of Soul Shard++ or Life Shard++ or something?
I don't normally grab those, but there's one at the beginning of the Leviathan fight that was right under me when I spawned, so I kept grabbing it... that certainly seems plausible. If Zero reads this and says "well, I was collecting every soul/life shard I could find" then no wonder it took me to level 50 to get info while others got it sooner. ;)

The damage boost (if any) is very minor from what I've seen. The range improves substantially though. The only reason to charge is because you can't get to the boss for some reason. Even so it's still risky since if you get bumped you lose the spell. So run and spam for me, especially with the L roots that have 21 uses each.

Arrows are just useful for those annoying birds you otherwise can't get to, and maaaaaaybe stuff like Phoenix. They do pitiful damage to everything else otherwise (even L versions). Eggs are much better IMO. I guess they're OK for causing hell status, but I'm not a big fan. Also hate when I see my online team bring nothing, but those since I know I'll be the one doing all the damage in the fight.

The charge roots are also good for inflicting more elemental status on an archfiend -- when we play, we usually hit it with a charged root at the start to get the ball rolling before we spam the roots to get to the desired elemental hell status.
The arrows are fantastic. Great for keeping around to deal with grunts and also good for targeting specific parts (like cyclops or minotaur's staff). Yeah, pound for pound they can't keep up with the slower attacks, such as eggs or the rising fists, but what you lack in base power can be made up for with (1) elemental hell > skillful attack, (2) increased mobility, (3) ability to target easily and (4) ability to deal with annoying grunts/flying bosses.

Don't feel like fixing to include your edit, but I'll comment on my theory for that, because I agree with you completely.
I think Wickedly Murderous has to do with the number of grunts you sacrifice. I usually get that on maps where I pick up a lot of the sacrifices that drop.
I think Gallantly Protective has to do with the number of revives you give to your teammates or the number of saves in general.
So maybe it's like 5+ sacrifices = Wickedly Murderous, 5+ saves = Gallently Protective.

Question. I can't unlock the last few quests on Avalon Pact IV (no, not the different paths if you save or sacrifice). I've done the whole story, plus the other sorcerers quests, except defeat Magusar. So what gives?

I assume for Pacts VIII through X you need to beat Magusar first right? (I was super close last night, I think I'll be able to do it soon).

Question. I can't unlock the last few quests on Avalon Pact IV (no, not the different paths if you save or sacrifice). I've done the whole story, plus the other sorcerers quests, except defeat Magusar. So what gives?

I assume for Pacts VIII through X you need to beat Magusar first right? (I was super close last night, I think I'll be able to do it soon).

Yes on the last question. Late Avalon groups require completion of story and completion of previous Avalon groups.

For the first question, Make sure you have completed all of Avalon I and that before you go into Avalon IV to do those last 5 pacts that the Harpy in "Snowfield Glutton" or whatever it is was sacrificed in your book.

The charge roots are also good for inflicting more elemental status on an archfiend -- when we play, we usually hit it with a charged root at the start to get the ball rolling before we spam the roots to get to the desired elemental hell status.
The arrows are fantastic. Great for keeping around to deal with grunts and also good for targeting specific parts (like cyclops or minotaur's staff). Yeah, pound for pound they can't keep up with the slower attacks, such as eggs or the rising fists, but what you lack in base power can be made up for with (1) elemental hell > skillful attack, (2) increased mobility, (3) ability to target easily and (4) ability to deal with annoying grunts/flying bosses.

I don't know. The roots are almost completely OP against grunts, and unless it's a grunt mission, who cares about birds anyway? Against many orcs just 1 non charged root attack puts them in hell and then I attack with the ice root for the kill. I feel the throw spells do no damage at all. It's definitely not 35 per arrow though.

Yes on the last question. Late Avalon groups require completion of story and completion of previous Avalon groups.

For the first question, Make sure you have completed all of Avalon I and that before you go into Avalon IV to do those last 5 pacts that the Harpy in "Snowfield Glutton" or whatever it is was sacrificed in your book.

Thanks. I've completed I through III, but I'll look into that harpy quest.

Mondriaan

I've done none of that and gotten it. Wickedly murderous might be for sacrificing lots of grunts though, definitely not team mates.

I think if you attack something that is going to attack someone else, it might count as a save. I think I've gotten it during minion hunting quests where I didn't do much other than spam arrow attacks.

Number45

Working my way through the story and doing some of the early Avalon pacts offline as I go. I really want to finish the SP before I dive back into the multiplayer.

I assume I can safely delete the demo now?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Working my way through the story and doing some of the early Avalon pacts offline as I go. I really want to finish the SP before I dive back into the multiplayer.

You could use the demo 3 times for the other save slots as well in case you might decide to do another run with a different focus. (so you dont have to start completely from 0).

ZeroAKA

You could use the demo 3 times for the other save slots as well in case you might decide to do another run with a different focus. (so you dont have to start completely from 0).
I did that, but I think I'd rather respec my existing character than to start a new save file and get all the offerings again.

I don't know. The roots are almost completely OP against grunts, and unless it's a grunt mission, who cares about birds anyway? Against many orcs just 1 non charged root attack puts them in hell and then I attack with the ice root for the kill. I feel the throw spells do no damage at all. It's definitely not 35 per arrow though.

Thanks. I've completed I through III, but I'll look into that harpy quest.

Good luck. There's another section that doesn't unlock unless you've saved the Elf Queen in an earlier mission. Zero linked to the Japanese wiki about it the other day -- with google translation, you can make out most of the requirements if you look at the quests... it's just takes a bit of effort.

I think if you attack something that is going to attack someone else, it might count as a save. I think I've gotten it during minion hunting quests where I didn't do much other than spam arrow attacks.

I'd say so. As long as your save is done, at least. What's the difference in playing the demo to get through the opening quests? The only difference is the 4 avalon pacts. I'd rather take a different experience if I had a second character.

I figured haha. got him down to red before I got careless oh well

Stunlock is your friend. Ice him up or set him on fire, break out, throw down a golem, go back to to putting him into stunlock, rinse, repeat. ;)

I've unlocked
Leviathan

Huh? Of course you have. You were in our group when we kicked his ass last night. Well, until Uchiha left. :\

YES! Cyclops down!
I can see the ending tonight!

Congrats, but you've got some tough fights between you and the ending(s) still. Good luck.

ZeroAKA

The game is goooooooood.

I think overall it's really well done, I can only hope for DLC or a sequel.
10 free DLC bosses along with new Black Rites and other extras are being added in the coming months. :)

nothing seems to stunlock the archfiends for me.
my homing attacks seem too weak
The Cyclops in the last Magusar chapter was insanely easy, especially since he doesn't use the burrowing attack. I planted a Vimblossom Fruit and summoned a golem before he even transformed into the monster. Then I used ice roots and summoned another golem. Plant a volt bomb or two when he's frozen. When the golem strikes his arm down, it'll also trigger the volt bomb for a skillful attack. Got him down in just over a minute with that strategy with 20 Magic. Second easiest boss battle for me (right behind all of the Slime missions).

wilflare

10 free DLC bosses along with new Black Rites and other extras are being added in the coming months. :)

The Cyclops in the last Magusar chapter was insanely easy, especially since he doesn't use the burrowing attack. I planted a Vimblossom Fruit and summoned a golem before he even transformed into the monster. Then I used ice roots and summoned another golem. Plant a volt bomb or two when he's frozen. Then when the golem strikes his arm down, it'll also trigger the volt bomb for a skillful attack. Got him down in just over a minute with that strategy with 20 Magic.

:O you make me feel really bad about myself :/
it still does the burrowing attack though

hmm I did that. was like 20% boost.. hmm
must be something I'm doing wrong..

now on the Phoenix

Are you only using the element you're boosting and trying to stunlock with?
Cause if you attack with a bunch of ice then turn and hit it with fire, it will start to take the ice away. You can tell if it's working with ice or whatever because the target will start to exhibit signs of being afflicted... like light amounts of ice or fire on them, then more, then more, untill you see <elemental> Hell +10 pop and it's time to bust it out of stunlock for a skillful attack with the right element.

So. I admit now that I haven't played this multiplayer yet. :(

I played the demo and I'm solo'ing the main game (up to Avalon pacts VI or VII) but I haven't ventured into MP yet but I'm thinking about it. Anyway my question is that I've found myself relying mostly on bombs and eggs with my current 20/40'ish build but I am troubled that in MP that relying on explosive spells like that may not work very well with other players. As in, it may throw them all over the map, but my AI partners in SP don't complain... ;)

For a ranged/DPS type build what are common builds online that don't infuriate the other players - thrown weapons mostly? Homing? I don't like getting too close to the bosses that have those one-shot kill radius attacks as they hurt...

Just wondering so when I do play MP I don't walk into a boss fight and start pissing everyone off.

OmegaZero

For a ranged/DPS type build what are common builds online that don't infuriate the other players - thrown weapons mostly? Homing? I don't like getting too close to the bosses that have those one-shot kill radius attacks as they hurt...

Just wondering so when I do play MP I don't walk into a boss fight and start pissing everyone off.

Honestly, lots of people use golems and egg offerings so I don't think you need to be worried about it. Just be careful with your positioning and aim if anyone's close to a boss.

Ryuukan

eggs are the best spells, just try not to use them point blank around everyone and dont aim at the ground if there's people by the boss, hit it in the face instead.

That wasn't me I left when i keep on disconnecting during the phoenix and Griffin match.

Hmmm, crap, I'm getting you guys confused. That's right.

Thank you for your help with that. Don't mind me, it's Monday and you've got 3 names I need to remember, Jimmy the cyborg Dorito Pope. :)

Glad you got him unlocked. :D

Now you can come kill him with us. ^_^

Honestly, lots of people use golems and egg offerings so I don't think you need to be worried about it. Just be careful with your positioning and aim if anyone's close to a boss.

This is true. You just need to pick your shots and learn how to coordinate. Getting chased around? Use the eggs. Placing a golem? Try to do so such that you can pin the archfiend but not hit the other golem, etc. As long as you're not a dick, you'll do fine and not piss people off. ;)

ZeroAKA

I'm thinking of using the two Sanguines (Angelshot and Demonshot), Vimblossom, a golem, and 2 heals with my (eventual) 90/10 build. Would this be viable for soloing in Avalon IX+?

Protips for wyvern?

The clone with the shadow underneath it is the real one.

STUNLOCK.

Let me repeat that for you.

STUNLOCK.

The odds that you're going to get him stunlocked are pretty low. We couldn't do it last night on the one in Avalon X. However...

Using the same element to attempt stunlock, say... FIRE or ICE? Makes it even easier to tell which one is the real one. The clones won't show the ice or fire effects as it builds up.

Close combat is also good if you're good at rolling. He'll teleport next to you, roll back and attack with a root or whatever.

He'll teleport in again, roll back.

He only occasionally catches me now when I'm off guard and he teleports under me, not next to me.

I'm thinking of using the two Sanguines (Angelshot and Demonshot), Vimblossom, a golem, and 2 heals with my (eventual) 90/10 build. Would this be viable for soloing in Avalon IX+?

Quite possibly if you have the right sigils for boosting the blood damage and raising your defense even higher. You'll be losing enough health through the blood attacks that healing might be iffy if the boss is in your face and you're not getting the chance to heal.

btkadams

so i have just been playing single player and have been really enjoying it. i really didn't quite understand how the spell levelling worked (i knew how to boost though) until yesterday, so i started farming some quests a bit to level up my favourite spells.

i played some matches online for the first time yesterday and i ended up being under-levelled compared to the rest of the people (and i suck) so i was sacrificed pretty quickly. does the quickjoin pair you up with people around your level? i only used it a couple times and otherwise manually selected lobbies. i don't want to be under-leveled for the quests i'm doing with people.

also, how do you figure out which spell types are good against which enemy? are you guys changing your loadout depending on each quest? i basically just have one array of spells that cover different attack methods rather than spell types.

Quite a few people are enjoying this game, good.
I just wish this genre becomes a bit more popular in the West.

Hmmm... hard to say that it's part of another genre if you don't buy the MH comparisons. I suppose you could call it a "hunting" game of sorts... :\

me too. haha some of your skill levels are just insane..
I'm just leveling now so I can beat the Phoenix

Skills? I don't have those. You'd want those other guys I play with. ;)

ZeroAKA

how do you figure out which spell types are good against which enemy? are you guys changing your loadout depending on each quest? i basically just have one array of spells that cover different attack methods rather than spell types.
Trial and error, or use a guide. I have 10 loadouts saved, 5 of which are focused on just a single element.

Quick Join seems to be random. Try to find a room that has a more descriptive title ("Innocence") and avoid "Serious Players" rooms.

SharkJAW

I'm confirming it now: Seadevil scale is the best spell in the game. Goddamn. It even cancels out Hydra's poison air/Phoenix fire air so you can get away with using the resolute sigil without worrying about bullshit unavoidable air status ailment causers.

Although, it take up two offering slots to use effectively. But that doesn't really matter for us 1/99-ers. We get 750 with the resolute sigil, so just about any (L) egg or throwing spell does the job.

Top Bottom