• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice |OT| Sacrifice your wallet to save the Vita

Yep finished it a little while ago as well..loved it

This game is just so damn good. Got it today and played like 6 hours straight..only stopped to eat dinner lol

Same here, almost missed Game of Thrones because I wanted to keep going. Damn my eyes hurt now, haha.

B.O.O.M

Same here, almost missed Game of Thrones because I wanted to keep going. Damn my eyes hurt now, haha.

lol I took a break now cuz my hands were starting to go numb. Apparently a friend called me to ask something earlier. Had my headphones on but the phone was literally a few inches away..I had no idea I got a call haha

leroidys

our first "40" review :/
http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/soul-sacrifice-review

Reviewer clocked 15 hours of SP gameplay, 2 hours of multiplayer

OK I try and stay away from criticizing video game reviewers but holy shit, this is the worst all time top 10 list I've ever seen in my life:

10> Tekken - (Series), 9> DarkStalkers 2 - Saturn, 8> Shenmue II - Xbox, 7> Monster Hunter (series), 6> Persona 3&4 - PS2, 5> Fallout: New Vegas - 360, 4> Phoenix Wright, AA - DS, 3> Demon's Souls - PS3, 2> Mass Effect - 360, 1> Snatcher - Sega CD

I'm not saying that those are bad games in an absolute sense, but to him those are the 10 greatest experiences in gaming? Snatcher at #1 just seems like a transparent attempt to have an "out there" top pick that nobody has played, and everything else (besides phoenix wright) is a 3d rpg or fighting game. Also almost every game is from the last gen or this one...

Shoyz

Rare random drop from saving. Supposedly higher rank missions have a better chance of dropping + and ++.

When you go up to save/sac a trash mob and it has something like +5/-3, then doing that action will give you a guaranteed + or ++. Not guaranteed for archfiends though.

Maybe it's just for allies, but it seemed like if you get a bonus, you get a ++, and if you take the opposite (bonus for chaos and you save), you get a +.

Snatcher at #1 just seems like a transparent attempt to have an "out there" top pick that nobody has played

Snatcher is amazing though..not that I'm saying he didn't pick it to be unique.

I was reading the lore on the elliptical today because attempting the Cerberus fight on it was a wee bit too difficult with all the movement ;0, and wow at the mythos/creature pages. That adds a whole lot to the story for me.

V3RMILLION

Neo Member
OK I try and stay away from criticizing video game reviewers but holy shit, this is the worst all time top 10 list I've ever seen in my life:

I'm not saying that those are bad games in an absolute sense, but to him those are the 10 greatest experiences in gaming? Snatcher at #1 just seems like a transparent attempt to have an "out there" top pick that nobody has played, and everything else (besides phoenix wright) is a 3d rpg or fighting game. Also almost every game is from the last gen or this one...

So he has a different taste in games. Don't die.

Caved on waiting for a physical release in Belgium and bought the digital version this weekend.

Please add me:

eu, psn: Animation-Imp, my main sorcer is Azartan, 14/10 at the moment.

Consider Monster Hunter one of the 10 best games ever... and complains on Soul Sacrifice about grinding and other things that are inherent in Monster Hunter.

Also, he never reached even level 20 in light or dark, because didn't got any other sigil, so is IMPOSSIBLE to have needed grinding at all. I'm not even sure that he played the game instead of the demo.

Cha

MAGUSAR AND REMTOR ARE THE DUMBEST THINGS EVER. I am done.

Agreed. I sacrificed Remtor during the Cerberus fight (even though Magusar died more than him). I thought Remtor would be useful since he has the Red Fruit of Lust offering, but so far the only monster that it managed to successfully attract was the Elf Queen, strangely :/

Something to be aware of - Characters with no healing spells (like Remtor) will save creatures for health. It can get annoying during boss fights when you really need a sacrifice to refresh your spells. Whistling (before they get to a dying creature) is a great way to stop a character from stealing your chance at a sacrifice.

Finally defeated Illy yesterday. Took 45 minutes. Toughest story fight yet.

Zemm

Completely ignoring the scores and only focusing on the text for the reviews of this game, I don't think I've seen such a large scale show of reviewer incompetence before. People making shit up, getting the basic stuff so wrong, not playing the MP and so on. Maybe this happens alot but I very rarely pay attention to reviews.

The way you guys always jump on reviews is quite irritating. Just let it be.

Anyway, I'm just her to say that Leviathan sucks. As a setpiece he is alright-ish, his attack patterns are easy enough to avoid, but the wait for an opening is just tiresome. Don't like it.

hertog

I can buy this game for 32 euro's

Someone please confince me to buy it :D
Why should I buy this game, when I already have atelier totori, ragnarok odyssey, persona 4 and disgaea 3 for my vita.

Wanny

Why should I buy this game, when I already have atelier totori, ragnarok odyssey, persona 4 and disgaea 3 for my vita.

You replace Ragnarok Odyssey for it and call it a day.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Because you dont have SS yet :p
Oh and yeah, its miles ahead of RO.

Abylim

Farmed Wyvern about 15 times solo, no SE+. Go online and get it within 2. Feelsgood.

30/53 atm. Just doing more missions and enjoying the story. Lovely game so far. Suppose it helps I love grindy type games.

Ken

Farmed Wyvern about 15 times solo, no SE+. Go online and get it within 2. Feelsgood.

30/53 atm. Just doing more missions and enjoying the story. Lovely game so far. Suppose it helps I love grindy type games.

Which pact did you do?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I need some help with the leveling system. My goal is 1/99. Should I go straight to that number? I've read somewhere that it would be easier to go 40/40 first. What's he point of deleveling your arm, are there any benefits?

bonus question
Any tips for newcomers? Best spells and so on.

Ken

I need some help with the leveling system. My goal is 1/99. Should I go straight to that number? I've read somewhere that it would be easier to go 40/40 first. What's he point of deleveling your arm, are there any benefits?

bonus question

You want to go for 40 in both at least once because that way you unlock all the black rites. After that you can do whatever.

ZeroAKA

bonus question
Deleveling your arm lets you reset your character's stats so that you can try out a different build. I wouldn't recommend going straight to 1/99. Go to 40/40 to unlock all the Black Rites and try to learn the enemies' attack patterns. If you don't dodge correctly in the later missions, you'll die in one hit with a 1/99 build.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
You want to go for 40 in both at least once because that way you unlock all the black rites. After that you can do whatever.

Deleveling your arm lets you reset your character's stats so that you can try out a different build. I wouldn't recommend going straight to 1/99. Go to 40/40 to unlock all the Black Rites and try to learn the enemies' attack patterns. If you don't dodge correctly in the later missions, you'll die in one hit with a 1/99 build.

Ok, thanks. Are there any recommend spells and stuff I should try to hunt down?

Vodh

Man, this review is just reeking of a butthurt monhun fanboy. That aside, SS! What an amazing game! So glad I didn't get discouraged after the demo, because once it clicks, the game's just amazing.

Protome

Man, this review is just reeking of a butthurt monhun fanboy. That aside, SS! What an amazing game! So glad I didn't get discouraged after the demo, because once it clicks, the game's just amazing.

I feel the same! Took jumping into multiplayer for it to click for me. Single player is fine, but Multiplayer is totally awesome.

frequency

I'm not sure how I feel about Soul Sacrifice. I think the game is just above my skill level. I like rarely ever get above Second/First Rate Sorcerer rating. So I never get the good rewards. I'm not sure how much longer I can go. I'm just not very good at video games.

I also dislike all the spells except Sanguine Cannon. The melee spells don't have the feeling of impact. And having it run out of time and go away in the middle of me wanting to attack is annoying. I don't like having to charge the homing spells. Throwing seems okay, but I use up all my casts too quickly. The damage seems too low. I think I'm just no good.

But the story is kind of interesting. It's often depressing and dark but there are moments that really appeal to me. I just did the Wicked Sorcerer or whatever in Avalon. That story
had a really neat and unexpected twist to it. That man was collecting all that wealth for a selfless reason.
I really enjoyed it. I hope there is more like that.

The localisation changes are really annoying. I dislike the English voices but it's really hard to play with the Japanese voices because the written words do not match the spoken words. It confuses me.

ZeroAKA

I'm not sure how I feel about Soul Sacrifice. I think the game is just above my skill level. I like rarely ever get above Second/First Rate Sorcerer rating. So I never get the good rewards. I'm not sure how much longer I can go. I'm just not very good at video games.

I also dislike all the spells except Sanguine Cannon. The melee spells don't have the feeling of impact. And having it run out of time and go away in the middle of me wanting to attack is annoying. I don't like having to charge the homing spells. Throwing seems okay, but I use up all my casts too quickly. The damage seems too low. I think I'm just no good.
I've been having trouble getting Divine rank too, but even most of the best rewards drop as normal rewards late-game. If you have a European copy of the game, First-Rate Sorcerer is the second best rank behind Legendary. That wouldn't be bad at all.

Melee offerings are almost useless IMO. The homing offerings don't have to be charged. Spamming them at close range is much more effective at inflicting status. Try out the other offerings too. I've recently discovered how awesome Bombs and Blankets are. Remember that you can always grind for Life/Magic a bit to increase your survivability and damage output.

Ken

I wouldn't worry too much about just getting first or second-rate sorcerer starting out; that's all I could get early on too.

Most people don't use melee online because of golems and eggs. I guess if you only like the cannon then you could work towards some divine blood magic build. I personally like the throwing weapons but I'm bad at dodging so poking things from afar is nice.

I can help you go through the pacts online tomorrow if you want?

Ryuukan

Try to use elemental spells that the stage enemies are weak against and go for the hell status plus skillful attack (using the opposing element that the enemy is weak against, ie volt on frozen hell) to help boost your scores.

As for spell types, I agree, the melee ones suck, especially those awful arms. My favorites are eggs, thrown, and blankets. It's probably been mentioned in this thread a lot, but blankets are so op against the slower ground bosses. They destroy werewolf and the jack variants.

Alright so I'm a few hours in now and I'm really liking how this differs from Monster Hunter. I have a few questions.

- What order am I supposed to complete quests in? I just finished up what I imagine to be the "prologue" and sacrificed a certain sorceress. I now have several different quest hubs available... what is the difference?

- At what point should I try and "fight Magusar?" Is that something I can do whenever, or is it an end-game thing?

- Where's the best place to look up spell combinations and what they do? I haven't been able to find anything in game.

- What factors influence the rating you get at the end of a quest? I feel like I always play the same, yet my ratings vary quite a bit.

- Does going online make things easier or harder? Are there different quests for online and single player, or are they the same progression?

- What's the "best" way to handle the right arm? Dark, divine or neutral? How exactly do you manage that?

Thanks!

Protome

Alright so I'm a few hours in now and I'm really liking how this differs from Monster Hunter. I have a few questions.

- What order am I supposed to complete quests in? I just finished up what I imagine to be the "prologue" and sacrificed a certain sorceress. I now have several different quest hubs available... what is the difference?

- Does going online make things easier or harder? Are there different quests for online and single player, or are they the same progression?

Thanks!

The Magusar sections (Several Years Later etc) are the main storyline and can only be played single player.
Inside Avalon contains a bunch of side missions, some of which are full storylines (the Fellow Sorcerer ones) and the Avalon Pacts themselves are mainly pacts without much story, which can be played multiplayer.
Progression through Avalon Pacts in multiplayer carries over to single player and vice versa.

frequency

I've been having trouble getting Divine rank too, but even most of the best rewards drop as normal rewards late-game. If you have a European copy of the game, First-Rate Sorcerer is the second best rank behind Legendary. That wouldn't be bad at all.

Melee offerings are almost useless IMO. The homing offerings don't have to be charged. Spamming them at close range is much more effective at inflicting status. Try out the other offerings too. I've recently discovered how awesome Bombs and Blankets are. Remember that you can always grind for Life/Magic a bit to increase your survivability and damage output.

I will try out some of the other spells. I avoided some of them because they have so few casts and I only have like 1 so I can't upgrade them for more casts.

I guess I never even thought about using the Homing spells without charging. They have a lot of casts so I can probably afford to not charge sometimes. I will have to try that.

I have grinded a little bit. I'm something like 19/12 right now. Maybe I just need more Magic levels for damage.

I wouldn't worry too much about just getting first or second-rate sorcerer starting out; that's all I could get early on too.

Most people don't use melee online because of golems and eggs. I guess if you only like the cannon then you could work towards some divine blood magic build. I personally like the throwing weapons but I'm bad at dodging so poking things from afar is nice.

I can help you go through the pacts online tomorrow if you want?

Ah, I'll try to ignore the ranks and go as far as I can I guess.

And thank you for the offer. I think I want to try the single player some more first. I want to actually learn to play the game rather than just having a great player walk me through.

Try to use elemental spells that the stage enemies are weak against and go for the hell status plus skillful attack (using the opposing element that the enemy is weak against, ie volt on frozen hell) to help boost your scores.

As for spell types, I agree, the melee ones suck, especially those awful arms. My favorites are eggs, thrown, and blankets. It's probably been mentioned in this thread a lot, but blankets are so op against the slower ground bosses. They destroy werewolf and the jack variants.

Is there any way to tell what an enemy is weak against other than trying everything?

I don't think I have any eggs or blankets but thrown is nice. I just do so little damage. But I probably just need more Magic levels. I should probably also farm throwing weapons so I can upgrade for more casts.

Thank you all for the advice.

ZeroAKA

- The Magusar chapters are the main story quests. Avalon Pacts are side-missions. Play them in any order you want.

- You can fight Magusar at any time, but doing so after you have completed all of the Magusar chapters will get you two Sanguine offerings (depending on your final decision).

- Spam elemental offerings to achieve ____ Hell, and then use a stronger offering to pull off a skillful attack. Heat > Venom > Stone > Volt > Frost > Heat.

- There's a scoring guide here: http://soulsacrifice.wikia.com/wiki/Scoring

- All Avalon Pacts (except for the "Fellow Sorcerers" chapters) can be played online. The HPs of enemies will scale depending on how many players are in your party.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You know, I was surprisingly angry that Werewolf didn't have its own lore page when going through the Sorcerer chapters.

Thanks guys. One more:

- What happens when you go down and choose to be sacrificed? Does the mission just end? Seems weird, I've never had a game give me a choice between living and dying before. lol

Thanks guys. One more:

- What happens when you go down and choose to be sacrificed? Does the mission just end? Seems weird, I've never had a game give me a choice between living and dying before. lol

Nope you still play after you were sacrificed ;)

Just try there's no penalty for it anyway (actually you get martyr reward as bonus) if AI teammates can finish the enemy.

ZeroAKA

Thanks guys. One more:

If you ask to be sacrificed, your partners will sacrifice you to cast a powerful offering that could instantly kill the boss if it has a low enough HP. Save it for when the boss is glowing red in Mind's Eye and seems to be slow or bleeding. After you've been sacrificed, you go into Ghost Mode in which you can tap your partner to increase his/her attack or tap on the enemy to decrease its defense. Being sacrificed will get you +80 points at the end of the game and a random "Martyr Reward" offering.

Heat > Frost > Volt > Stone > Venom > Heat
Yeah, I guess that post was kind of confusing. I meant that Heat is stronger than Venom (hence the greater than symbol), which is stronger than Stone, etc. Yours is more attack order after Hell has been achieved.

Is there any way to tell what an enemy is weak against other than trying everything?

I keep this page open in a browser tab on my Vita. Now that you can check the web without killing your game, resources like this are awesome.

http://codepen.io/DouglasGlover/full/HCjmq

Nope you still play after you were sacrificed ;)

Just try there's no penalty for it anyway (actually you get martyr reward as bonus) if AI teammates can finish the enemy.

If you ask to be sacrificed, your partners will sacrifice you to cast a powerful offering that could instantly kill the boss if it has a low enough HP. Save it for when the boss is glowing red in Mind's Eye and seems to be slow or bleeding. After you've been sacrificed, you go into Ghost Mode in which you can tap your partner to increase his/her attack or tap on the enemy to decrease its defense. Being sacrificed will get you +80 points at the end of the game and a random "Martyr Reward" offering.

Awesome, thanks!

But the story is kind of interesting. It's often depressing and dark but there are moments that really appeal to me. I just did the Wicked Sorcerer or whatever in Avalon. That story
had a really neat and unexpected twist to it. That man was collecting all that wealth for a selfless reason.
I really enjoyed it. I hope there is more like that.

The localisation changes are really annoying. I dislike the English voices but it's really hard to play with the Japanese voices because the written words do not match the spoken words. It confuses me.

Melee sucks IMO, except against very specific bosses (and for other sorcerers the trident you get as a preorder bonus kills them in no time, while putting them in a stun lock).

Homing magic is by far the best IMO. Early on use the Tri spells, but after you get the 100 damage single roots go for that. They have 21 casts!!! and do a lot of damage. Also never charge them. Use them as you would a melee weapon, get in there and spam the attack button. Also make sure to equip the sigil to up homing damage.

Is multiplayer the ideal way to gain levels/offerings quickly?

Most likely. Though you can grind a few levels solo (without AI allies) quite fast, much faster than waiting for your online party to get ready.

I have a question. What does gallantly protective and wickedly murderous mean? I know I've only gotten them while playing online, so I'm pretty sure they're online exclusive and also that I've gotten both at the same time on a quest, so they're not mutually exclusive like you might think. Other than that I have no clue what they mean.

Top Bottom