• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Dreweyes

Oh god what have I created...

gt63O.png

Bumping for lulz.

Athena and Mega Man are godliek!

What's the easiest way to do a guard impact? Using Cervantes right now because he has a lot of them but none are terribly reliable. GI's are the last attack cheevo I need.

I assume the locked square next to Voldo is left for a Dampierre DLC right? Unless there's another bonus character I'm not taking in account...

Ferrio

Banned
GGs to Q. I had some pretty cheap ass ring outs.

Really wish I could the Wind God Fist to come out. The shitty uppercut always comes out instead and I eat a punish.

Any tips for dealing with Astaroth players? Seig/Night player here. Any general tactics? Seems like I can never get the upper hand.

hteng

Banned
Any tips for dealing with Astaroth players? Seig/Night player here. Any general tactics? Seems like I can never get the upper hand.

if it's a bullrushing and vertical happy Astaroth your best bet is stepping. Night/Seig can't really out range Asta but they would beat him at mid range, make sure to break his grabs, normal A grab is very often, command grabs are mostly B. His Knee move is extremely unsafe, punish it if possible.

mugwhump

Finally got to play for an hour.

TRAINING MODE IS SO GOOD.

I spent the entire time just fucking around with it, practicing JGs over and over.

Also I kind of like Ivy's movelist now, for the first time it feels like I don't have to relearn her at all. All her signature attacks are there, with their most common inputs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am getting mindfucked by my friends Natsu when I'm Xiba. Other than that, I'm liking him a lot. Going into his impact stance from a lot of moves, especially now that it normally takes meter, has been really good for me so far.

if it's a bullrushing and vertical happy Astaroth your best bet is stepping. Night/Seig can't really out range Asta but they would beat him at mid range, make sure to break his grabs, normal A grab is very often, command grabs are mostly B. His Knee move is extremely unsafe, punish it if possible.

Monocle said:
Break grabs, step and 3B all day.

ALL DAY

Thanks will try. Most of the time when they realize that I've wised up to their shit, just back up and wait for me to make a move/mistake(drives me crazy when that's all players do >:[). So to grab break normals is just tap/mash A, and B with command? Always thought I had to grapple at the same time. Been a while. XD

So are there any nightly lobbies going on yet? Is a chat set up?

B00TE

I love the Global Coliseo. Done a few random matches, and I love that it asks if you wanna keep going after every fight. And I've yet to encounter any unplayable matches. So very, very pleased. Also gave me an excuse to dig out my old USB keyboard, it's fun to talk to people between matches. It's all very addicting, already dying to get home tonight and get some more games in.

Fell in love with Xiba, was kinda worried that I wouldn't like him based on some of the opinions I saw here. But damn, he's just a lot of fun to play.

I know it's early but what characters would be good recommendations for a noob player? Mitsu, Phyrra and Astaroth maybe?

Mitsu and Sig...They have solid oki and pokes. BTW, the online is awesome. Finally got to rock it today with my peeps in Ohio and Cali. Didn't notice any lag at all. Good times.

I have to echo everyone's statements about the netcode. It's damn good. Especially After SCIV. There's only been one instance were I can remember it feeling laggy, and even then it seemed to go away after a little bit. I also need to start playing during the day. Matchmaking only seems to find the same four people late at night here. XD

My entire history with this series is me not really knowing what i'm doing and being destroyed by my friend who loves these games, but no more I say!
Now I have an entry into this series myself, vengeance will be mine and I will finally grasp how to play this game effectively, well this is what I would like to say but my quick foray into versus mode earlier reminds me that I pretty much learned nothing since I first played Soul Calibur 2 many moons ago but hey at least I can actually look at the move lists now so that's a start.
I'm going to guess Viola is far from beginner friendly to which I simply say "bugger".

Westlo

Netcode is pretty impressive, a 3 game bar for me in Australia Melbourne vs someone from Japan felt better than a max bar connection in SC4. Bodes well for Tekken Tag 2 towards the end of the year... also really enjoying this game... probably going to main Natsu or Pyrrha. (Still need to unlock the Omega version).

Got wrecked by an Alpha Pat 6 times straight online earlier today, it actually didn't look to bad using Setsuna's style, came across Kenshin like.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just pretty much had an 5 hour straight session with kiryogi... should of gone first to 50 imo :p

Oh and I'll say this game has the best net code in any fighter right now.

kiryogi

Banned
Just pretty much had an 5 hour straight session with kiryogi... should of gone first to 50 imo :p

We never did get to 50 wins tho! lol. I can keep doing that in the following nights if you're game :D I at least feel like I stand a better chance here vs other titles because this game isn't as execution intensive. VS you in anything else is me = D:

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We never did get to 50 wins tho! lol. I can keep doing that in the following nights if you're game :D I at least feel like I stand a better chance here vs other titles because this game isn't as execution intensive. VS you in anything else is me = D:

It was execution intense for me T.T

Also shout outs to 19 hit combos into a stage knock off

kaioshade

ugh, for someone who is reasonably good at tekken and previous soul games, nothing is clicking with me here. Might have to end up returning this.

kaioshade

That sucks. This game is probably the best Soul Calibur that's been put out aside from the 1st.

I am prob just frustrated from the night i played. The previous soul games i picked up. started playing and found a character i liked. That has not happened in 5. Only character that remotely interests me is Viola, Patroklos seems aright but i cannot get over the way he stands (silly i know)

When even basic moves and combos escape me after hours of play, maybe the game isnt for me.

Tell me about the character creation! Are all the SCIV options still there?

How do you unlock more items to use? Does unlocking a character also unlock their traits in the character customization?

Not being able to share/download other people's characters is ass.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this was missed. A huge oversight for what is otherwise a fantastic game.

Also, I'd love to be able to download their profiles into Quick Battle to be used. It would be fun to see people I've faced in real life pop up in Quick Battle. If your character is in someone else's Quick Battle you could receive progress updates and keep stats to see how your character is doing.

Your Quick Battle character would reflect the level of your current self online. So if you're an E4 your QB character would be the same. As you level up, your Quick Battle character would to which means it would win more fights against human opponents. That way, even when you're not play, you're still playing.

Needs to happen for SCVI.

V_Arnold

Alright.

First impressions. I will not lie: I love the presentation, the music, the Quick battles, the costumes. I did not touch CAS yet, so I will ignore that for now.

I am in a huge dilemma. I always jumped around characters as there were transferable knowledge (guard impact timings, blocking) between them - and now that free GI is gone, I do not know what to do against rushdown type of characters. And I do not even know how this guard breaking thing works. Anyways, I do not know what charater to stick with.

Xiba? Amazing. I play him the most, but a few missed Kilik moves are hurting me. I do not know what is his fastest punish - yet. Against Patrolkos, I cant really use his quickstep either. He is amazing momentum-wise, but hard to use properly, imho. But will stick to him.

Leixia is another solid pick. I like playing with her, but again, there is a lot of different things when it comes to how she moves - not always Xianghua-like, I have to say.

Natsu? Totally different than my usualy Taki BNB attack patterns - the k, down+k, k combo is now on a different input, damn it. It fucks my gameplay up :D And I could not even start to train with the new characters.

EVERY character feels fun. But I have to choose. Will stick to Xiba for now, with the occasional Leixia and I'll hit the lab with Hilde soon, I guess.

zlatko

Banned
Beat story last night in an hour and just skipped all cut scenes since everyone was saying it was awful.

Then I created a character with Viola style, and practiced up for about an hour.

To test myself, I go to Legendary Souls, and proceed to lose on the first match over 30 times. Viola style just does piss damage, and even though I'd try various means to win, it was worthless. Try to throw Kilik? Always techs. Guard a lot to get an opening to punish him? Leaves no holes. Try to ring him out? Never falls off no matter how many hits I get with him at the edge. Do 7 hit combos for 49 damage? Get hit 1-2 times and he does same or more. Try to get a lead with my meter? Interrupts before it goes off or he just blocks it altogether.

Didn't take even a round off him and only about three times got him super super close so I could take a round. So I finally just gave up, and figured I'd go online to see if I'd get bodied just as easily.

The online experience was good in terms of net code once again, but I was once again facing the issue of my combos not doing enough damage compared to others just mashing out the same move or two. After I lost to three people who knew no combos, I said fuck it, and did the same stupid shit to people online. Picked Siegfried, and mashed, and whala I obtained wins no problem due to massive damage.

So anyone know some bigger damage combos for Viola that they can share with me?

Also, is there a "cheapest" way to beat Legendary Souls mode so I can try Algol style?

Tell me about the character creation! Are all the SCIV options still there? Not sure, there are a ton though. In addition you can change patters of anything and add physical objects to people, for example, a gun on someone's hip. It's very robust.

How do you unlock more items to use? Leveling up, mostly

Does unlocking a character also unlock their traits in the character customization? Yes

Also, is there a "cheapest" way to beat Legendary Souls mode so I can try Algol style?
Supposedly you can fight him in quick battle if you're lucky and unlock him that way.

Bizazedo

Wow, the story mode was really bad. Like, really bad. I hate how all our old characters basically took a back seat to things, even Nightmare. That was kind of irritating.

Legendary Souls was tough, but felt fair. Sometimes fair, anyways. Occasionally it was obvious or felt like it was reading inputs (it threw at some odd times), but I still managed to get by it in 47 minutes. I thought that was bad until I saw the Leaderboard, oof.

On the bad side, my code for the CE edition isn't working :(.

I think I still have 2 or 3 stages to unlock, I get those just by leveling up right?

Also I still have 2 blank character slots, I assume for Algol and Dampierre, is that accurate? Do each of them have their own stage?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beat story last night in an hour and just skipped all cut scenes since everyone was saying it was awful.

Then I created a character with Viola style, and practiced up for about an hour.

To test myself, I go to Legendary Souls, and proceed to lose on the first match over 30 times. Viola style just does piss damage, and even though I'd try various means to win, it was worthless. Try to throw Kilik? Always techs. Guard a lot to get an opening to punish him? Leaves no holes. Try to ring him out? Never falls off no matter how many hits I get with him at the edge. Do 7 hit combos for 49 damage? Get hit 1-2 times and he does same or more. Try to get a lead with my meter? Interrupts before it goes off or he just blocks it altogether.

Didn't take even a round off him and only about three times got him super super close so I could take a round. So I finally just gave up, and figured I'd go online to see if I'd get bodied just as easily.

The online experience was good in terms of net code once again, but I was once again facing the issue of my combos not doing enough damage compared to others just mashing out the same move or two. After I lost to three people who knew no combos, I said fuck it, and did the same stupid shit to people online. Picked Siegfried, and mashed, and whala I obtained wins no problem due to massive damage.

So anyone know some bigger damage combos for Viola that they can share with me?

Her damage is actually fine, you just gotta put effort into her stuff compared to most others.

OSHAN

Zero unlocks for offline versus play is dumb.

So is not having the option to turn off time and increase health.

Zero unlocks for offline versus play is dumb.

So is not having the option to turn off time and increase health.
Yeah they really cut back on the options this time around. I didn't realize you didn't get XP for VS stuff though. Do you not get anything for VS CPU?

I am prob just frustrated from the night i played. The previous soul games i picked up. started playing and found a character i liked. That has not happened in 5. Only character that remotely interests me is Viola, Patroklos seems aright but i cannot get over the way he stands (silly i know).

Not silly at all, I won't bother with Pat for that same reason. In fighting games in particular if the aesthetics aren't there I won't pick a character, and Pat's stance just looks goofy as hell.

Played a few rounds last night in Live, and yeah, the online seems so much better than IVs. Looking to play some more when I get home from work.

Top Bottom