• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To me the stages seem to have the most inspiration and cohesive vision for the universe, since the original Soul Calibur.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
To me the stages seem to have the most inspiration and cohesive vision for the universe, since the original Soul Calibur.

Agreed, there is a strong sense of cohesion that fits the world of Soul Calibur that just feels right compared to past iterations.

Kimosabae

Banned
Skilletor:

Don't worry about that frame data, mang. I went out and copped the guide today.

Speaking of which, the hardcover version is some impressive stuff. Bradygames continues to raise the bar with these guides. So far, it seems even better than the Marvel guides just due to presentation alone.

As for the info itself, looking over the frame data: minuses everywhere. Especially on block. I mean, wtf? Cervy, i.e., has a whopping 1 move that's positive on block: +1. His fastest move is 11 frames (aB), which isn't particularly fast, but it's -4 on hit (-8 on block)? Why? It's utility stretches about as far as it being used as a means to poke someone at midrange when they're on a pixel. What's so bad about frame traps in Soulcalibur?

The only consistent means to get positive frames on block is to use meter (Brave Edges) - but that only nets a mixup, because it's quite obvious to your opponent they should be blocking after getting hit by a GB attack.

Very disappointing.

So, is anyone else having the X360 installation problem? Even with the game installed, it's still constantly reading from the disc and not the drive. My researching it says it was patched the other day, and I did download a tiny update when I first started the game, but I'm still having the same problem. Tried re-installing and still no fix.

I've noticed in quite a few of these "infinite" and day one combo video's people don't enable the option to make the AI recovery automatically.

I found a bunch of the combo's I made weren't really combo's after the AI could escape as a result of the recovery option.

Erigu

Well, if they were meant to be the same person, they'd probably have the same VA in English too. Lots of games use the same actors for multiple roles.
It's not so common in Japanese games. And US localization teams can be pretty clueless.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Namco made a good netcode? What in the hell.... XD! Does the game have any replay viewer? I love those. Still debating between PS3 and 360... i am divided between them because I have friends on "both sides" haha

Mindman

Namco made a good netcode? What in the hell.... XD! Does the game have any replay viewer? I love those. Still debating between PS3 and 360... i am divided between them because I have friends on "both sides" haha

Yes it has a replay viewer.

Mindman

I was kinda disappointed with the single player content until I tried Quick Match. It's like offline multiplayer with 240 titles to earn. ;)

Is there a way to view your unlockables?

"It's hard to review netcode when there's nobody to play with."

This is the real reason. That said, some Italian? Website got invited to a press event for SC5 pre-release and they had machines *next* to each other for playing online, which means fuck-all unless the netcode is so bad it lags inside the same building.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Skilletor:

Speaking of which, the hardcover version is some impressive stuff. Bradygames continues to raise the bar with these guides. So far, it seems even better than the Marvel guides just due to presentation alone.

As for the info itself, looking over the frame data: minuses everywhere. Especially on block. I mean, wtf? Cervy, i.e., has a whopping 1 move that's positive on block: +1. His fastest move is 11 frames (aB), which isn't particularly fast, but it's -4 on hit (-8 on block)? Why? It's utility stretches about as far as it being used as a means to poke someone at midrange when they're on a pixel. What's so bad about frame traps in Soulcalibur?

The only consistent means to get positive frames on block is to use meter (Brave Edges) - but that only nets a mixup, because it's quite obvious to your opponent they should be blocking after getting hit by a GB attack.

Very disappointing.
Didn't overly safe moves basically break the game a few iterations ago?

I'm loving the new Sieg in this game. He's really fun to play and his new 3B is crazy good. I'm usually in the LA Colosseo (since Phoenix's is always empty :/) as InfiniDragon615 (PS3) if anyone ever wants a few matches.

Rising_Hei

reviewers shouldn't publish their reviews until they can play the online mode properly... i always find that silly, specially with fighting games

In my opinion is the most important part in fighting games followed by gameplay of course, if a have is fucking great ala KOF XIII but it has a shitty netcode then not many people will be willing to buy it... but if it's the opposite... :)

wil2501

Skilletor:

Very disappointing.

The SC5 guide is by Future Press, not Bradygames. It was written by some of the very best players from France, Germany and the UK, so the content is extremely solid. But then I worked on it, so I would say that...

I think you're overstating the importance of frame advantage in Soulcalibur. There is actually way more frame adv in SC5 than there was in SC4, especially through Brave Edges, but it doesn't really matter too much, because everything is a mix-up on both sides due to the amount of powerful defensive options in the game.

Roto13

So apparently I was completely wrong about Nightmare and he's kinda Raphael after all, according to this wiki. After Soul Edge was destroyed and eventually reformed, it needed a new body, so it used Raphael's, which it had been saving for just that reason. :p Not really sure how Raphael and Nightmare co-exist, though. I guess it has something to do with Nightmare being killed by Zwei in story mode, but I don't know how Raphael's body would magically reappear in a dungeon.

d0c_zaius

The SC5 guide is by Future Press, not Bradygames. It was written by some of the very best players from France, Germany and the UK, so the content is extremely solid. But then I worked on it, so I would say that...

I think you're overstating the importance of frame advantage in Soulcalibur. There is actually way more frame adv in SC5 than there was in SC4, especially through Brave Edges, but it doesn't really matter too much, because everything is a mix-up on both sides due to the amount of powerful defensive options in the game.

The guide is really good. I'm glad you guys took the project seriously, it shows!

Much like 50% of this thread.

So what? SC has always had interesting singleplayer modes, including Quest mode or whatever back on the Dreamcast. There are people like me who enjoyed the series for its singleplayer and couch-multiplayer who have been with the series for a while and are legitimately disappointed with what's on offer here.

I respect that the actual fighting here is pretty good, but I don't see why it's wrong to lament the amount of content on offer.

Dreweyes

Here is my character:

uaKMU.jpg

And here are a few characters I've made so far:

3087e.png

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
And here are a few characters I've made so far:

3087e.png
Great work, man! Dat Q! Man alive, is the customization really that good? After seeing this and the Solaire from Dark Souls, I'm almost tempted to grab this on a whim...

Would be my first Soul Calibur since SC2 on the Gamecube. Couldn't feel the love with 3 or 4, but I never did give them much of a chance as I got more into other fighting games. Anyone with similar experiences care to share any impressions/rekindled affection for this series?

Top Bottom