• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Great work, man! Dat Q! Man alive, is the customization really that good? After seeing this and the Solaire from Dark Souls, I'm almost tempted to grab this on a whim...

Would be my first Soul Calibur since SC2 on the Gamecube. Couldn't feel the love with 3 or 4, but I never did give them much of a chance as I got more into other fighting games. Anyone with similar experiences care to share any impressions/rekindled affection for this series?

Well. I can say, I loved SC2 on GC to death, and felt complete disinterest for SCIII and IV, but SC V is proving the legend really will never die, to me.

On one hand, it suffers not having a meaty quest/edge master mode like past games have had, on the other, it seems the team was really passionate about reviving the series true spirit.

Aside from severely tightening up and rethinking the play mechanics, the game feels like real love in terms of its graphics, art direction, stage designs, and soundtrack. It is the best game in the series for me since SC2 in those regards. A touch that suggests they really cared is that every character has a home stage again with their own theme.

And yes, the character creation is improved, and really flexible now.

How much love you get from it may depend on whether multiplayer will do it for you. Aside from its story mode (that I think is okay, others don't like), it focuses on leaderboard attack arcade courses, an offline "kumite" mode where you pick from tons of pseudo-custom players to fight and win stuff from, and a very comprehensive online suite.

explodet

While I'm still stinking up the joint, I'm starting to get used to online, and actually have a few wins under my belt after switching to another character. Which one?
Mr. Auditore da Firenze.

I feel like a tool.

alstein

This game has the community, online, and customization features I've wanted in my fighting games for years. There's also a great system in place.

If only there was enough of a game to use this great framework. This game needs more work to do the system justice, I hope it happens. It's screaming for more content and polish.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to share your create a character templates in-game? I'm guessing not, but it would be a killer addition. Another CaS related question: Can you pick random CaS in the versus menu AND save the resulting character if it happens to squirt out something hilarious?

SUPARSTARX

I need more customization unlocks!!!! I wish there was a guide somewhere to show it all.

Here's my Leixia on the right.

20120201181006.jpg

Did anybody pick up the LE and have a solid review of the art book?

It's not another scam like the SC4 artbook is it? Read: No god damn Udung fanfic crapping it up.

How many pages of character designs and hand illustrations are there? Are alternate / unused costume designs there?

I'm a sucker for a well made artbook; but SC4 LE was an abortion.

It's not that great tbh. 8 pages of promotional art/renders, and 4 pages for each character except aPat,PyrrhaO,Edgemaster, Algol, Kilik, and Elyseum. For each character, page 1 is their render, 2 their profile, 3 their artwork on the character select screen, and 4 is about 3 or 4 sketches for each character. Except Ezio, he only gets the first two. At least the material feels nice.

I need more customization unlocks!!!! I wish there was a guide somewhere to show it all.

Awesome, still kinda dissapointed they didnt update the feet from SCIV. Elysium's toes look kind of weird. Your Leixia is 2/3 of what I'm going to put on her too. Short shorts and sandals/flip flops ftw!
Did anybody pick up the LE and have a solid review of the art book?

It's not another scam like the SC4 artbook is it? Read: No god damn Udung fanfic crapping it up.

How many pages of character designs and hand illustrations are there? Are alternate / unused costume designs there?

I'm a sucker for a well made artbook; but SC4 LE was an abortion.

I'm not sure about the LE but there is an official artbook that was just released. Unfortunately the only place I've seen it available that ships overseas is at amazon jp.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4087796213/

I'm hoping sites such as cdjapan, hobbysearch and amiami will eventually stock it.

Does The_Reaper_GT post on GAF?

Sounds familiar. Had a couple of great matches with him tonight.

I've had some brilliant fights! This game is phenomenal.

It's not that great tbh. 8 pages of promotional art/renders, and 4 pages for each character except aPat,PyrrhaO,Edgemaster, Algol, Kilik, and Elyseum. For each character, page 1 is their render, 2 their profile, 3 their artwork on the character select screen, and 4 is about 3 or 4 sketches for each character. Except Ezio, he only gets the first two. At least the material feels nice.

Crap. That's what I feared.

Namco needs to recognize the skill of their artists.

I'm not a fan of the designs or subject matter, but the Arcana Heart LE artbook is godlike. Just chock full of character illustrations, turn arounds, model sheets. SO GOOD! This is what everybody needs to copy.

I'm not sure about the LE but there is an official artbook that was just released. Unfortunately the only place I've seen it available that ships overseas is at amazon jp.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4087796213/

I'm hoping sites such as cdjapan, hobbysearch and amiami eventually stock it.

Damn, I need this.

Thanks guys. I'll just import the real art book and wait for the game to hit clearance bins.

conman

I'm stinking it up online right now (at about a 15-20% win ratio), and like others here, the last Soulcalibur I played much was SC2 on Gamecube. Really enjoying this.

If you need a punching bag, or a fellow tomato can, add me on PSN: Volpone

SUPARSTARX

I'm stinking it up online right now (at about a 15-20% win ratio), and like others here, the last Soulcalibur I played much was SC2 on Gamecube. Really enjoying this.

If you need a punching bag, or a fellow tomato can, add me on PSN: Volpone

No worries. You learn from your losses hopefully. I'm trying to play a little more patient and be more aware of my position on the stage so I don't set myself up for a ring out. Every single move that comes out of my opponent frequently, I'm gonna absorb how far it goes as best as I can and try to avoid/interrupt.

Seems like most moves in this game are negative on block. Sidestepping is pretty strong if the next incoming counter hit doesn't track or cover too much radius.

conman

Seems like most moves in this game are negative on block. Sidestepping is pretty strong if the next incoming counter hit doesn't track or cover too much radius.
Yeah, it's been a long time since I've played a 3D fighter. Still trying to figure out the rolls and sidesteps.

I am 42% online, which is a lot better than I expected. Beat a guy at C level with over 80 wins at one point. Fantastic match.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

20120201181006.jpg

For some reason the characters look really good here, shading-wise.

Man I almost want to cancel my vacations just to play this game now instead of over a month from now:(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Well. I can say, I loved SC2 on GC to death, and felt complete disinterest for SCIII and IV, but SC V is proving the legend really will never die, to me.

On one hand, it suffers not having a meaty quest/edge master mode like past games have had, on the other, it seems the team was really passionate about reviving the series true spirit.

Aside from severely tightening up and rethinking the play mechanics, the game feels like real love in terms of its graphics, art direction, stage designs, and soundtrack. It is the best game in the series for me since SC2 in those regards. A touch that suggests they really cared is that every character has a home stage again with their own theme.

And yes, the character creation is improved, and really flexible now.

How much love you get from it may depend on whether multiplayer will do it for you. Aside from its story mode (that I think is okay, others don't like), it focuses on leaderboard attack arcade courses, an offline "kumite" mode where you pick from tons of pseudo-custom players to fight and win stuff from, and a very comprehensive online suite.
Thanks for fishing me from the previous page, and for offering your thoughts!

Shame about the consistent lack of a fleshed out quest mode - I really liked that back in the day, but perhaps I'd just feel it was 'tacked on' or 'gimmicky' even if it was present in recent iterations.

Comprehensive online (the huge lobbies where you can challenge players sound like an excellent idea) and apparently decent netcode are other draws for later, when I have a better internet connection.

In the meantime, one nice thing is that SC has never had any complex inputs, so it'd be something else to play with the wife and friends not-so-familiar with fighting games. I'll be getting all nostalgic and trying to (re)learn the system, while the others will be happy chopping me up and making the sparks fly.

It's great that you have a similar SC background and are feeling the love again with this one. Sounds very promising. Will be checking prices this weekend!

hteng

Banned
played the game for bout 5 hours or so, not terribly impressed with Nightmare, he's still unsafe as shit, some changes are very questionable, movelist gets trimmed to bits, fucking why must CE has the same input motion as GS? oh and legendary souls, fuck Elyssium.

I'd been doing really well online until I ran into the buzzsaw that is Manta. Three matches later and his Voldo had my mind full of fuck. Time to hit the lab.

Feel free to add me on PS3(PSN same as GAF). Really liking this game online. Only really learned Seigfried. Not that good though. Fast characters destroy me sometimes with an endless volley of attacks.Been trying out Nightmare a little online, and I'm having a blast. His super move is really good up close. Catches a lot of people off guard. Wish Seig and Nightmare still had their move set from SCII. Planning on learning some more (faster) characters too.

hteng

Banned
anyone here from Asia regions? ie: Singapore, Thai, Malaysia, Taiwan, Phillipines, Indonesia..etc.

add me on PSN, ID: hexagonn

Cool, are there any other games that take advantage of this?

Fellow Namco games Tekken 6 and Beautiful Katamari do XMB screenshot.

Tekken 6 allows you to take the screenshot at any time in any mode (though I think it's disabled in online battle, but assuming you save the replay, you can screenshot that instead).

Other than that, I know of Wipeout HD's photo mode.

Ferrio

Banned
I have a blue mary, of course easy as hell to make her.

Speaking of which, I can't do Devil Jin's WGF to save my life.

GGs kiunch.

edit: Also I didn't realize the only way to get Dampierre is DLC through best buy, what fucking bs.

Roto13

Fellow Namco games Tekken 6 and Beautiful Katamari do XMB screenshot.

Tekken 6 allows you to take the screenshot at any time in any mode (though I think it's disabled in online battle, but assuming you save the replay, you can screenshot that instead).

Other than that, I know of Wipeout HD's photo mode.

Speaking of Namco games, Noby Noby Boy has screenshot functionality.

GGs kiunch.

edit: Also I didn't realize the only way to get Dampierre is DLC through best buy, what fucking bs.
It'll probably be up for sale eventually.

kaioshade

Having the damnedest time finding someone who plays well. There isn't a character that plays anything like my old main, Seong Mina. I like Viola but i can already see she is not that good of a character. her damage output is pitiful.

Roto13

Having the damnedest time finding someone who plays well. There isn't a character that plays anything like my old main, Seong Mina. I like Viola but i can already see she is not that good of a character. her damage output is pitiful.

Notice how that custom character above has her orb but not her claw? Her claw isn't a weapon. :p If you're not hitting with the orb, you're not hitting with a weapon.

kiryogi

Banned
PSN folks once again give me a message for an invite to the PSN chat. Actually I'm @ work. But Ferrio, Q, or kinuch could invite you too.

And again, my psn is my gaf name.

kaioshade

Notice how that custom character above has her orb but not her claw? Her claw isn't a weapon. :p If you're not hitting with the orb, you're not hitting with a weapon.

I understand how viola works. Her damage is still very low compared to the rest of the cast.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Got a hold of the game today. Blew through story mode canceling every single cut scene which sped up the unlocking considerably.

Maxi feels.. Odd. He can deal some damage, but I still keep trying to PSL3. Bah.

I don't really understand that World Colloso tournament mode. Stare at a square watching Magic cards hump until you're eventually matched? Couldn't tell if there was any kind of ladder progression or what going on.

Why is everyone in their underwear in ranked mode? Did the Cleveland cops get all the people in CAS mode too?

The actual matches ran well enough thanks to the 4 bar+ filter for the most part. Only two descended into the mud.

hteng

Banned
There is no active frame data in the guide.

17 startup, -16 on block.

uhh can you post all frame data for nightmare? lol i would like to share them at 8wayrun

I suck at this game. It's hard for me to do combos and I simply end up button mashing.

what is your character and SC isn't really execution heavy but it does need good relfexes for hit confirmation but this can be overcome with practice and muscle memory.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

GGs kiunch.

haha GG

Smash 3B all day.

Anyone actually know which mode unlock items? Don't tell me its the legendary soul mode -.-

Monocle

I suck at this game. It's hard for me to do combos and I simply end up button mashing.
Hit practice mode and find about ten of your character's staple moves. Some that are quick, some that are fairly safe on block, some that stun on hit or counterhit, some that punish stepping, maybe one that guard breaks. Definitely know what hits mid, low, and grounded. Then build your game around those attacks. Also, don't ignore your Brave Edges and Critical Edge.

Note the effective ranges of the attacks you picked and make sure to pay attention to spacing. Most attacks are really situational so you should try not to throw out random stuff. Figure out a few simple and damaging combos off the moves that stun and practice until you can execute them consistently. Program the CPU to attack, then practice stepping and punishing. Practice stepping some more. Also, don't forget to practice stepping. Work with the CPU to learn to deal with escapable setups you tend to fall for and strings you have trouble blocking.

Experiment, and look out for anything that seems useful. Definitely watch videos of pro players to see how they handle various situations. If all else fails, use a different character. Like, don't expect to rock ass with Viola if your basic game is in shambles.

Oh god what have I created...

gt63O.png
Brilliant!

Top Bottom