• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wait, I didn't know you could do this.

In like the 2nd or 3rd section you can hit certain parts of the screen which have those music pulses (not sure how else to describe these) and mash them and try to get rhythm. I mashed but still sounded good. Best music so far in, Rowdy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just downloaded this. Playing on the PS3 while my Vita finishes backing up on PC.

First impression: I love this game. I really really love this game. Now let's see if exploring the game further on the Vita would sustain this strong impression.

But really, good job Queasy. Impeccable presentation.

CorySchmitz

In like the 2nd or 3rd section you can hit certain parts of the screen which have those music pulses (not sure how else to describe these) and mash them and try to get rhythm. I mashed but still sounded good. Best music so far in, Rowdy.

I love tapping the little orange moving-platforms in the tutorial.

I love Rowdy Clouds. Purgatory on the superbrothers album is also a stand out, from what I have played AP far.

Lol and now I need to replay the tutorial.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably too early to call yet, but I think I really like this game. I love the presentation at least.

It looks and sounds very good. Customization is neat too.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Whoa, the way you can just tap the screen at certain parts is awesome. You can go crazy with drums in Rowdy Cloudy. Good stuff.
Welp, looks like I'm going to replay a few things.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wait, looking at the albums it seems there's only 4 (excluding the tutorials), with each one having 4 tracks? I know this game is going to be largely driven by the community levels, but I was hoping for more campaign levels. "/

How long does it take to complete the entire campaign on average?

LiquidMetal14

Probably too early to call yet, but I think I really like this game. I love the presentation at least.

It looks and sounds very good. Customization is neat too.

Welp, looks like I'm going to replay a few things.

Every level has some form of this from what I've played. In album 2 now. Some unique sounds to just mess with. I'm sure you could probably do this with user created levels too.

After reading some of these impressions I think I'll have to give it a shot, I imagine it looks gorgeous on the Vita's screen. It'd be nice to play something a little less demanding then Persona 1.

One quick question though, is the game more of a traditional level based platformer or something more akin to Pixel Junk Eden where it's more of mood...style...thing.

VanWinkle

Wait, looking at the albums it seems there's only 4 (excluding the tutorials), with each one having 4 tracks? I know this game is going to be largely driven by the community levels, but I was hoping for more campaign levels. "/

How long does it take to complete the entire campaign on average?

Yeah, I definitely do wish there were more. However, I figure there will be some great community levels as well.

After reading some of these impressions I think I'll have to give it a shot, I imagine it looks gorgeous on the Vita's screen.

One quick question though, is the game more of a traditional level based platformer or something more akin to Pixel Junk Eden where it's more of mood...style...thing.

I would say that if there was a line, where "Traditional Platformer" was on one end, and "Pixel Junk Eden" was on the other, it would be smack dab in the middle. Which I think is cool (Eden was not in my taste, personally).

I am really digging interactions between the music and the visuals. But tbh I don't think is my kind of game. I am just finding it boring for some reason and I am not a fan of how it controls. I have played a half an hour on Vita and PS3 and will play some more. But so far I am wishing I had waited for a demo.

LiquidMetal14

How much is lost if you just play on the PS3? How is "tapping" handled on it?

I would say that the tapping can only be done on Vita unless somehow the game has move compatibility. I could be wrong but it's intuitive and seems very much made for touch.

Just played the first few levels in campaign mode and wow, the music is awesome! Bought this on a whim since it was discounted and it seems like there's a Vita games drought til the fall, and I am really, really impressed so far.

Cyberia

Regardless of what system you buy Sound Shapes on, you will get both versions of the game with the ability to share your save file between consoles. All the music, levels, and creation tools are identical. You can’t go wrong wither way, but I would have to give the Vita version a slight advantage. Level creation is easier with the touchscreen, and the ability to easily pop in a pair of headphones and get totally absorbed in the music really helps the overall experience.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...2012/08/07/headphones-highly-recommended.aspx

Zia

Between this and the Wipeout HD/Fury DLC for the Vita pseudo-Wipeout, I think I might want a Vita.

LiquidMetal14

2012-08-07-173506mglzt.jpg

2012-08-07-174600lyz7q.jpg

2012-08-07-181407zhzm8.jpg

2012-08-07-181718nsle6.jpg

2012-08-07-1819434narj.jpg

Lots of cool things.

Looks crisp and sharp on the Vita screen.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Every level has some form of this from what I've played. In album 2 now. Some unique sounds to just mess with. I'm sure you could probably do this with user created levels too.
Yeah, just noticed it in the Cities level. Works really well, and it's kind of fun to muck around with that.

Probably best to play it with the touch screen. I noticed that with the custom level tutorial when I played both the PS3 and Vita versions. I sort of felt like it was faster or a little more natural to do that stuff with the touch screen.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The game looked great in videos, but didn't always makes sense. And while I knew the music parts were going to be good, I was really worried about the platforming parts. Having played the game for a few levels, however, I can confidently say that there's a very solid platformer under all those nice beats and whimsy, with tight controls.

The mechanics are very straightforward (stick, unstick, jump), but the variety in objects and enemies are impressive; some simply walk back and forth, some behave as jump pads, some are safe to touch in one part but not the other, while some will pursue upon spotting you. Everything blends in nicely and offer varied platformer-type possibilities. I can't wait to see more.

The game looked great in videos, but didn't always makes sense. And while I knew the music parts were going to be good, I was really worried about the platforming parts. Having played the game for a few levels, however, I can confidently say that there's a very solid platformer under all those nice beats and whimsy, with tight controls.

The mechanics are very straightforward (stick, unstick, jump), but the variety in objects and enemies are impressive; some simply walk back and forth, some behave as jump pads, some are safe to touch in one part but not the other, while some will pursue upon spotting you. Everything blends in nicely and offer varied platformer-type possibilities. I can't wait to see more.

Agreed, 100%. And remember, if it's Red, it means Death.

LiquidMetal14

There's lots of potential with user created levels and the imaginative music. I tried the Kingdom Hearts one but the song is too short. Sounded nice though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Agreed, 100%. And remember, if it's Red, it means Death.
They couldn't have made it any easier, yet it's utilized in very different and interesting ways. Which leads to my second point: the game gives a fair bit of challenge sometimes lol. I rike.

The PixelJam levels are so much fun, I think they may be my favorite. I was also not very familiar with deadmau5's music but what he has in this has made me want to check it out.

tearsofash

Failed on me the first time, then I just retried and it worked like a charm.

Tried several times on PS3 and vita. Nope. I feel like I've flooded the engine or something.

I made a level on Vita, but played through some campaign on PS3. I just want them to get along, but nothing will sync.

Bullza2o

I just bought P3P 3 weeks ago, Fate/Extra last week, and now this game comes out. I've been playing Vita all the time recently.
I'm still unsure of this game, but I will give it time for great user-generated levels to appear before I make a decision. Or maybe I should bite now...

tearsofash

I just bought P3P 3 weeks ago, Fate/Extra last week, and now this game comes out. I've been playing Vita all the time recently.
I'm still unsure of this game, but I will give it time for great user-generated levels to appear before I make a decision. Or maybe I should bite now...

There's already a gaggle of user levels to play, three different variations of the campaign mode. Should be a good time-sinker. Never buy a system for one game though. (Protip: buy Gravity Rush too)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tried several times on PS3 and vita. Nope. I feel like I've flooded the engine or something.

I made a level on Vita, but played through some campaign on PS3. I just want them to get along, but nothing will sync.
Same here. I thought "Delete Cloud Save" would clear whatever is clogging the tubes, but it's failing to delete that too. Weird since I didn't have a problem 10 minutes ago. I'll just give it a few more minutes.

Speaking of, I wish there was am auto-sync option.

KaidoRacer7

Does anyone is having problems to install on Vita? Downloaded through PS3 and Vita and when it try to install, shows a error message.

The PS3 version is working fine to me

Bullza2o

There's already a gaggle of user levels to play, three different variations of the campaign mode. Should be a good time-sinker. Never buy a system for one game though. (Protip: buy Gravity Rush too)

Oh yeah and I haven't finished Gravity Rush either. Huge backlog on my Vita, but I think it Sound Shapes would be a good game to play during an 18-hour flight. It seems like it.

tearsofash

There should be some sort of GAF compendium of Sound Shapes players' profiles so we can all play each others levels.

AniHawk

wow this thread exploded in a relative manner. can't wait to get home and play it. glad i preordered. no waiting in line for me!

CorySchmitz

Cory, do you know if the soundtrack is going to be available on Bandcamp or something?

I don't think there will be a soundtrack, 1. because of licensing stuff, 2. because the game itself is kind of the soundtrack. But who knows. I agree it would be cool to have!

However:

Shaw-han (I Am Robot and Proud) has 5 albums out on iTunes (and they're all great!)
http://www.robotandproud.com

And Jim Guthrie has a ton of amazing solo releases, as well as the soundtracks to Indie Game the Movie and Sworcery: http://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com

You might have known all that already though :p

totowhoa

Banned
I downloaded it and played about 6 or 7 levels on my PS3 earlier before I ended up playing on my Vita when I went out a little later. Man, this game is really better on the Vita. The only advantage to the PS3 is the comfy controller. The OLED + headphones combination is what really makes the game. I was thinking the game was pretty good, but I'm enjoying the game twice as much now. This game really, really needs to be played with headphones. Makes a huge difference, and that screen makes the bright colors really pop.

Top Bottom