• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beat School is really really fun. I'm getting the ones with chords pretty easily. Need more stuff like the Roll the Bass Dice, plz.

Wario's right; this somewhat does feel a little like the Lumines of platformers in a way.

Felt more comfortable doing the Death Mode on PS3 because I liked the controls there better. Doing the Beat School on Vita. It's too bad the Vita version has longer loading times, while the PS3 version takes very little time to load stuff up.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I finally got off work and managed to complete the first album, and the first level of album 2. I even played a community level, and I have to say, I'm in love with the look, feel, and potential of this game.

The music is fantastic, the visuals are beautiful, and the potential for some truly stunning, creative levels is great.

I also find the platforming really responsive and well done. Challenging to. So glad I took the plunge and bought it.

And I agree that Rowdy Cloudy was a really cool level. It's hard to not blow through the game, but I don't mind, since the community is already at work producing stuff. I'm thinking I may want to clear the game and unlock all the editor pieces before I go for it and make my own level.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The decision to make every activated beat last for three rooms is a nice and elegant solution to progress the music of any given level.

SmithnCo

Did all the Death Mode levels. The ones that really struck me as too luck-based were Cities and Disasteroids. Pretty fun though anyway.

Also, it's fun adding secret locations that rewards exploration. :D

Yeah, I'm going to hide a huge Mega Man face in the level I create. Speaking of secret locations, did anyone else LOL @
the big Deadmau5 face hidden in (I think...) Invaderoids? I was like, oh let me go back and try to scale that wall, I'll bet there's a note there. Instead I just get "=D"

Misguided

Banned
Man, Death Mode is lame. So doesn't fit the game. Should have been extra hard challenges on the original levels (kind of like remixing the music, in a way)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Beat School > Death Mode

Would pay for more Beat School DLC

Beat School was definitely more interesting. Though I think it'll be boring for some people and trophy hunters will just cheat.

Man, Death Mode is lame. So doesn't fit the game. Should have been extra hard challenges on the original levels (kind of like remixing the music, in a way)

Yep. Yep. It was a huge letdown imo, especially after it was sorta hyped on PS Blog last week.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want more Beat School.

That stuff was fun. It just felt like it was only beginning with the Muting Technique one because you had more stuff to do compared to the previous ones, but that was the last one unfortunately.

Now to do the rest of Death Mode (maybe later).

stupei

This game is so good it makes the "it's not a game" discussion from the main Vita thread earlier all the more hilarious.

I had no idea I would enjoy it this much.

Hopefully GB will do a quick look -- they seemed excited for it -- and convince even more people to pick it up. This game deserves great sales numbers.

nofi

5MuNv.jpg

:bow

Cudder

I'm about halfway through the game I guess but I'm not in love with it like everyone here seems to be. Its okay. Also, the music in Everyday Shooter > SS music.

Man

Almost forgot that I own a Vita. Not an insult (yet to finish/play the games I own after all) but I will download this now.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just completed the campaign and jumped into the Death Mode everybody has been bitching about. At first I thought this is actually not bad, people are exaggerating, until it hit me that half of the trophies are tied to it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but still a fun mode. So why were people bitching about it requiring more luck than skill? That was about the time I started playing Sparkle Darkle (1-2) which made me want to break my Vita at first. But it took me a while to realize I was doing it wrong; the critters launch me to death only if I jump twice on a single one.

Now I'm hoping every level has a solution to rebut the "luck" claims because I can't take much more of that frustrating "I wanna break my Vita" feeling.

I just completed the campaign and jumped into the Death Mode everybody has been bitching about. At first I thought this is actually not bad, people are exaggerating, until it hit me that half of the trophies are tied to it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but still a fun mode. So why were people bitching about it requiring more luck than skill? That was about the time I started playing Sparkle Darkle (1-2) which made me want to break my Vita at first. But it took me a while to realize I was doing it wrong; the critters launch me to death only if I jump twice on a single one.

Now I'm hoping every level has a solution to rebut the "luck" claims because I can't take much more of that frustrating "I wanna break my Vita" feeling.

I think the talk of luck is based on the icons that you collect appearing in the same area. I had one stage where all of them appeared in the same little area and I easily cleared it. But a lot of times they would appear all over the place.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Haha, yeah the hate for randomizing note locations is justified. It can be pretty ridiculous. Thank god I don't care about trophies.

tearsofash

Anamanaguchi + Paul Robertson levels would be boss.

Everyone really seems to like the superbrothers levels except me. :/

I don't know why I didn't look into this game sooner. I kept seeing it mentioned, but I never really gave it much thought.

I literally just watched a trailer for it, and then I bought it.

YOLO... Er, YOPO.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How long is the game btw? Both for only campaign and completionist, if possible.

Toki767

You know what. Death Mode makes me want to platinum this game out of spite to whoever decided to make notes appear at random. It makes that mode more dependent on luck than skill.

this is a game I can actually see myself getting DLC for, would love if other major artists got involved
I'm sure I'm in a minority here but I would love to create some levels with metal elements (loud and heavy drums, highly distorted guitars, all that good stuff). There were a few Lumines skins in Electronic Symphony that would be perfect to pull sounds from.

AEREC

I dont know anything about this game except that it is has a similar art style to Sword & Sorcery.

Is there any chance this game will ever be on iOS or is it the type of game that will not be playable on touch devices.

Regardless I will probably pick it up on PS3 soon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dont know anything about this game except that it is has a similar art style to Sword & Sorcery.

Is there any chance this game will ever be on iOS or is it the type of game that will not be playable on touch devices.

Regardless I will probably pick it up on PS3 soon.
Hmm, I'm sure they could make it work on a touch device BUT the platforming does require quite a bit of precision that might become frustrating with a touch screen.

Zia

Beat the game and have gathered about half of the trophies. I don't hate the Death Mode like some, but agree it's too reliant on generous "spawns."

Such a good game. Somehow ended up enjoying it even more than I thought I would. The Beck album was a perfectly touching ending to an evening in with the boyfriend (who is currently working on an amazing level), passing the controller back and forth with perma-smiles on our faces.

Top Bottom