• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Clunker

So far I've only played the Superbrothers and Deadmau5 levels, but I'm already loving it. Queasy Games tapped into the same feeling that I get when I play Sword & Sworcery, actually: to borrow Superbrothers' phrase, Sound Shapes is an album you can hang out in. Can't wait to see what the community makes and to dick around with my own levels once I've unlocked all of the sounds.

Zia

So far I've only played the Superbrothers and Deadmau5 levels, but I'm already loving it. Queasy Games tapped into the same feeling that I get when I play Sword & Sworcery, actually: to borrow Superbrothers' phrase, Sound Shapes is an album you can hang out in. Can't wait to see what the community makes and to dick around with my own levels once I've unlocked all of the sounds.

Did you finish the Superbrothers album?

Don't read this if you haven't,
but I loved the nice little Sworcery-y surprise at the end. Swoon.

I have to say I am in LOVE with this game. It just clicks. I love the colors of the game the platforming and the music. I certainly hope there is plenty of DLC for it and also creation kits.

My favorite Vita game thus far. I hope the community maintains that feeling :)

Kurdel

Banned
Great game, and I can't wait to see what the community makes. Superbrothers album was by far the best.

Few gripes:

-Framerate issues? Am I the only one getting some slowdown in the more intense levels?
-Resolution? The resolution in the Beyonder level seems iffy. The assets seem too high res for what the game resolution is outputting. In the more blocky levels it looks amazing, but the art in this album is really bugging me.

StuBurns

Banned
Great game, and I can't wait to see what the community makes. Superbrothers album was by far the best.

Few gripes:

-Framerate issues? Am I the only one getting some slowdown in the more intense levels?
-Resolution? The resolution in the Beyonder level seems iffy. The assets seem too high res for what the game resolution is outputting. In the more blocky levels it looks amazing, but the art in this album is really bugging me.
Which platform are you playing it on?

Few gripes:

framerate problem for vita when you bring it back from sleep mode. everytime i retry the first lvl it would slow down in some areas.

Kurdel

Banned
framerate problem for vita when you bring it back from sleep mode. everytime i retry the first lvl it would slow down in some areas.

I played the whole game in one sitting, so that wasn't my case.

Death levels are really intense, I am loving it!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not only does framerate slightly dip a few times, but when I play it on PS3, it stutters sometimes when I enter a new area or meet a new enemy/sound/element. I don't know if it's my HDD showing its age (I've had it my 400gb for about 3 years...)

darkwing

369db6cf-b1c5-3c20-b0f5-4c3d7635d4f3-image

cool/simple design

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/EItF63qp

Death mode is highly luck based. Because of the random appearance of notes, some of them are impossible on a given pattern within the time limit, or so it seems.

BeeDog

Not only does framerate slightly dip a few times, but when I play it on PS3, it stutters sometimes when I enter a new area or meet a new enemy/sound/element. I don't know if it's my HDD showing its age (I've had it my 400gb for about 3 years...)

I doubt it, frame drops were very obvious in the launch trailer.

This game is worth paying for just for the creation tools. I've had as much fun messing around with creating a level as I have playing through the campaign. The vita is perfect for creation.

Stayed up way to late playing this last night. Finished all the albums and then started playing around with the editor. It's pretty intimidating at first to have so many options and a blank canvas, but by the end of the night I was starting to get a good feel for it. Definitely recommend playing through the albums first to unlock stuff. That last Beck song alone unlocked like 25 different things for the editor.

Here's my short, crappy stage if anyone wants to try it out.
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/DpKb4kFD

I can see myself playing with this for a long time. Feel free to send a friend request my way. PSN name is MrJellyBean.

Haven't had time to really get into this yet, too busy at work. I'm so torn on whether or not I love or hate the graphical style of the game. Part of me feels like I've gotten trapped inside of FFFFOUND, but at the same time the minimalism really appeals to me. Art direction so far seems impeccably realized and consistent though.

Zia

Event Horizon Death Mode #1 is all I have left now for my Platinum. Hope I don't have an aneurysm trying to get it, since I'm not Wario64.

JJD

Great game! Played just the tutorial and 3 stages of the first album but I liked it a lot!

The platforming is not that bad also!

I know most of you are playing it on the Vita, but try playing it on the PS3 with the bigger screen. Such great artwork -- and extremely mesmerizing.

I played a few more hours last night on PS3 and Vita. And I gotta say that this game isn't doing it for me. I love the visuals and music, but the platforming just doesn't feel that fun. There is a Little Big Planet feel to it which is making me enjoy it less than I had hoped. I am also not getting the fusion between the music and visuals like I did for something like Rhythm Heaven. Probably a 7/10 for me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I know most of you are playing it on the Vita, but try playing it on the PS3 with the bigger screen. Such great artwork -- and extremely mesmerizing.

I played it in the dark with louder surround sound, it was quite a treat. Better than the Vita experience

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Playing this in the car on lunch now with my adapter. Now I can hear the awesome beats tbrough my car speakers!

This game ieeps on giving. Quickly becoming my favorite Vita game.

persongr

I played it in the dark with louder surround sound, it was quite a treat. Better than the Vita experience

Well, Vita has a Wolfson sound chip, so with some decent headphones (even with cheaper ones - i'm using Sennheiser HD202 Mrk.1) the game shines. After Rayman Origins, my second favourite Vita game :D

Ok, I've noticed a few flaws now, after playing Event Horizon death mode (#1, maybe?) for like an hour:

(1) The controls can be janky and inconsistent (at least on Vita). Part of this may be wonkiness from the floating streams in the level, but I absolutely love when I press the d-pad down right and hit jump to watch the ball jump up left into some red. The physics were inconsistent in some of the jumping between streams.

(2) For some reason, I would get stutters on this level. The game would freeze for a second, then pick back up. Killed me almost every time it happened because it broke the flow. Unsure of the cause, but damn it sucks ass when it happens.

SmithnCo

Death mode is highly luck based. Because of the random appearance of notes, some of them are impossible on a given pattern within the time limit, or so it seems.

I agree, though I can see why they did it, to keep you on your toes. It really shows in the Cities level though, as the notes can spawn all the way across the map and it just isn't feasible to get them in the necessary time. Most of them I thought were fair though.

|ync

I agree, though I can see why they did it, to keep you on your toes. It really shows in the Cities level though, as the notes can spawn all the way across the map and it just isn't feasible to get them in the necessary time. Most of them I thought were fair though.

raaaaar, I love this game but death mode makes me so angry!

I've beat the first 50% of the levels, but are there really people who can beat these levels consistently? cause it seems like when I'm playing it's like I have to play perfectly and then roll a die and hope the notes pop up in the right place. It's really annoying to play a level for half an hour missing by 2-4 notes and then one round beat it with 3 seconds to spare.

It's also unfortunate that this mode really takes the minor flaws in the game and puts them into the spotlight, cause if anything goes wrong you're fucked.. (occasional physics wonkiness, frame rate hiccups, and general control touchiness like sticking to shit that you don't want to stick to or that dumbass submarine where if you press square for 0.3 seconds you get a nice boost but if you press it for 0.4 seconds you rocket straight into the lava ceiling [guess which level I'm stuck on])

Top Bottom