• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Lucent

I think Beck's 2nd level was my favorite. The music had me. I'm not trying to do any speed runs or anything so I would just chill at some of the screens and listen to it. The stuff they do in the campaign really shows you what kinda creative stuff you can do. The imagery in Beck's stuff is like a dream. And the art style in the office stuff from the 2nd album was great, too. Just loved how you'd be rolling and some of the stuff was diagonal with some guys still in there drinking. I dunno but if I get the time to mess with this I might really get into creating a level.

I think Beck's 2nd level was my favorite. The music had me. I'm not trying to do any speed runs or anything so I would just chill at some of the screens and listen to it. The stuff they do in the campaign really shows you what kinda creative stuff you can do. The imagery in Beck's stuff is like a dream. And the art style in the office stuff from the 2nd album was great, too. Just loved how you'd be rolling and some of the stuff was diagonal with some guys still in there drinking. I dunno but if I get the time to mess with this I might really get into creating a level.

From a visual standpoint, I can't decide if I like the Superbrothers albums or the Pyramid Attack albums the most. There are just so many little things in each one that add up and make a great scene. For example, I stated earlier in the thread how in the third Beck song that I loved those little guys that lay around and sing out the lyrics while breathing. Then in the Superbrothers levels I love those cats that hang around.

Now that I've created a couple of levels, I'm looking forward to going around the campaign albums and seeing what they did. With just these small tools, they managed to create the most magnificent levels.

Lucent

From a visual standpoint, I can't decide if I like the Superbrothers albums or the Pyramid Attack albums the most. There are just so many little things in each one that add up and make a great scene. For example, I stated earlier in the thread how in the third Beck song that I loved those little guys that lay around and sing out the lyrics while breathing. Then in the Superbrothers levels I love those cats that hang around.

Yeah I loved the cats. I thought it was funny how if you chased them into a wall and hit them they vanish into little squares and then reappear. And yeah I loved the guys laying around signing.

Now that I've created a couple of levels, I'm looking forward to going around the campaign albums and seeing what they did. With just these small tools, they managed to create the most magnificent levels.

Yeah I got the same feeling from Little Big Planet 1 and 2. Everything is there, you just gotta figure out how to best use things.

I was thinking though that they should release DLC for it containing stuff for the level editor so you can make even more original stuff than just using assets from the albums.

Also, I noticed someone made a level called something like Shortest Level. In the thumbnail you could clearly see the person just put the record player right next to the spawn point. =l I guess someone was gonna do it eventually...

Been really enjoying this on the PS3. Community levels are subpar though much like every other game that incorporates UGC

Yeah, well, the thing is I think people are rushing things too much. The game only came out this Tuesday for us. People are just whipping stuff up just to have levels on there. I've only played a handful of decent ones. It's gonna probably be awhile before we see some really amazing stuff. I mean, after coming off the campaign and seeing what they did, the user levels just don't have that polish. I plan on messing with everything for a bit before I make some levels. Take note of things. Plan it out a bit before doing it. I dunno I just couldn't make a level in a sitting and be like "well here you go if you just wanna do something".

I played all of the Beck levels for 20 minutes each. Not because they were hard, but because I just didn't want to stop listening.

"Break" a little...
"Hurt" a little...
"Move" a little...
"Turn" a little...
"Break" a little...
"lose" a little...

darkwing

I played all of the Beck levels for 20 minutes each. Not because they were hard, but because I just didn't want to stop listening.

"Break" a little...
"Hurt" a little...
"Move" a little...
"Turn" a little...
"Break" a little...
"lose" a little...

this level is brilliant, timing the platforms with the lyrics

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Check out my latest: http://soundshapesgame.com/level/wIV6ca8S

I'm really proud of this one. The beats, platforming, and environments mesh really well together.

I like the stage. I'm really impressed with what you do with the backgrounds! I'm looking forward to more of your stuff.

Thank you! I'm working on a longer one, and it's a bit... unusual. I'm pretty excited to show it off. Hopefully it will be finished tomorrow.

I tried out yours, but couldn't finish it. Unfortunately I've never been very good at platformers, which is why my levels have more of an adventure/exploration bent.

Does all the user levels are available for dl worldwide? Actually is there a recap of all the DLC / Level Editor / User Levels capability and plans for the future?

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/VMoCYzE1

First level! In anything in fact (I always try to make levels in level creators but get bored half way through.) It's not particularly hard or long, I just wanted to make a pleasant little level.

Can't wait to make another!

Nice level, I really like the color scheme it had going

Im 2 death mode levels away from platinum :) The last 2 beck levels btw

btw try my level, beat my 10 second time, if you do, i will award you the title of ninja master

http://soundshapesgame.com/es/level/pNEEm7DB

I really liked this level. Short and simple but it was to fun trying to perfect it. I came close but in the end I couldn't beat your time. No ninja master for me :(

queasy

7743763148_d12afc05b3_b.jpg

Unsure if this is the OS or the game.

Was on Beat School.

hey, i'm one of the developers on the project. do you have any more details on this bug so we can fix it? it looks like you were undo-ing? did you have a lot of stuff on other screens? is it an empty level?

thanks for any help!

also:

That's Mak for you.

hey! :)

-j

Cornbread78

Ok, who said teh Death levels were easy? I couldn't even do the first one.... Man, I need to retire from gaming if the levels are truly easy and I just suck that bad....

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Love that Mak. :)

The digital manual has tips on keeping the game cart safe. Originally going to be retail?

Was this hinted by anyone or we just assuming because the game feels perfect for DLC?
I'm assuming so because the Live Area has a button that opens a special "DLC page" on the PS Store that is currently empty.

hey, i'm one of the developers on the project. do you have any more details on this bug so we can fix it? it looks like you were undo-ing? did you have a lot of stuff on other screens? is it an empty level?

thanks for any help!

also:

hey! :)

-j

it was the first beat school lvl.

I was trying to figure out what button to replay the sound. I think i hit (held) L and some other buttons and that error popped up.

I didn't have anything on screen i don't think.

queasy

it was the first beat school lvl.

I was trying to figure out what button to replay the sound. I think i hit (held) L and some other buttons and that error popped up.

I didn't have anything on screen i don't think.

great, i think that narrows it down nicely for us, we'll look into it! thanks!

-j

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Here's hoping for a hit. This is a natural step coming from Everyday Shooter. It's much more, to me, though. And now we have the man here, you made a lovely game :)

mauaus

Ok, who said teh Death levels were easy? I couldn't even do the first one.... Man, I need to retire from gaming if the levels are truly easy and I just suck that bad....

They are certainly not easy but not impossible, i got through them in about 4 to 5 hours.

orioto

Good Art™
It's a shame i can't find any vids of user created levels in Youtube... isn't there any option to upload them from the game ? That would help making some noise about the it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol, maybe that was me. Then again I beat Dyad 100% so my opinion should be null

mauaus

Hey Mak, would a rock/grunge album work on this game, i drool thinking of the possibilities of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden

it's awesome browsing this thread and queuing the levels, while holding the Vita and playing them

Yes, I love being able to do this. Also very handy when I'm at work. The whole Community part of the website is really nice as well. I also really like how it's very easy to update & re-publish songs you've made. Ended up working on my second level some more and made it a bit harder.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/L0bqcmQP

I still need to work on my level design skills, but I'm getting the hang of it. This game just makes hours go by like nothing.

Yes, I love being able to do this. Also very handy when I'm at work. The whole Community part of the website is really nice as well. I also really like how it's very easy to update & re-publish songs you've made. Ended up working on my second level some more and made it a bit harder.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/L0bqcmQP

I still need to work on my level design skills, but I'm getting the hang of it. This game just makes hours go by like nothing.

That screen that's the title screen is a killer. I couldn't get past it.

Duffyside

Banned
Nothing stealth about that. It was full on brag. Death Mode levels aren't easy. Unless you get really lucky with the random note placement, which really is how you beat most stages.

Yup. I'd say most are fairly easy if you get note placement that isn't total bullshit. And when you get note placement that is total bullshit, they're potentially impossible. It's really poorly designed.

Yup. I'd say most are fairly easy if you get note placement that isn't total bullshit. And when you get note placement that is total bullshit, they're potentially impossible. It's really poorly designed.

Yep that one you are talking about with the 4 electrified pillars was the worst (best?) example of this. not as random but I hated the one with the guy shooting a laser.

That screen that's the title screen is a killer. I couldn't get past it.

Thanks for trying it out. I spent a good amount of time on that screen. That last jump is a doozy. Really need good timing on that one. Hopefully it's more fun than frustrating though, and the music doesn't get on your nerves.

I really liked your Messy Flowers level. Good level design and sounds good when everything kicks in. I'll be sure to check out your other level(s) later tonight.

W1SSY

I finished up the campaign the other night and loved the Beck album. Just the music along with how the platforming works was great. I started to work on getting some trophies and stopped after two because I was just getting frustrated. I will go back later and try them but for me the campaign was amazing and I cannot wait to check out what the community comes up with after they have some time to mess around.

|ync

Got the plat this morning! Finally beat that stupid submarine level, it took some great note placement and a couple double notes (sometimes they appear to spawn in the same spot as the last note on this level) :/

I really wonder what they were thinking with this one and some of the others, like that city level where a bad note makes you spend like 6 seconds getting from one end to the other, or the bouncing platform that sends you flying in random directions half the time, I was seriously concerned that my analog stick was broken...

On the other hand some of the death level were pretty great, usually the ones with only 3-4 note spawn points. Hard as hell but requiring skill instead of luck to beat, like that one laser gun guy or the four laser beam pillars.

Beat school was also awesome, I hope they release more of those if they do DLC.

see5harp

I had a similar "script error." I believe it occurred when the broke ass Vita online was trying to sign in to post to leaderboards. Why does the PS3 version work the same way. That should be a menu option to toggle on or off. There has never been a situation where I did not want to post to leaderboards.

Finished campaign mode last night and loved it! I know there have been a number of people involved with the game popping into this thread, so just wanted to send out a quick "Thanks!" for making what's been a wonderful experience for me.

Side note: THOSE BECK LEVELS OMG!!

SomeOneInaHat said:

Same here.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I really liked this level. Short and simple but it was to fun trying to perfect it. I came close but in the end I couldn't beat your time. No ninja master for me :(

Yeah, it's kind of interesting as my friends said, you have to get the perfect timing to speed run it.

Anyway, here is my new one!

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/X5tNeWAs

It's a bit longer. Very platforming light and focusing on exploration, but you might not get everything the first time you play unless you know what you're doing.

They're certainly not easy but if you keep at it you'll probably eventually get a good pattern going where the notes are in the same area, making the level much easier to finish.

Top Bottom