• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

nofi

I don't know anything about this game at all, a friend just showed me a trailer like 15 minutes ago, and before the trailer ended, I was updating my PS3, and now I have bought the game! Downloading! I still don't really know what to expect, but I have a feeling I have made a good decision!

You should check the OP. ;)

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/x8mCJOih

Try it out guys. I wanted to make something challenging but short.
Truth be told I couldn't figure out how to move the end point at first lol
One thing I don't like is that the floating platforms can get their pathing disrupted so they end up moving out of sync. Are there any similar platforms that get unlocked that don't do that?

I don't know anything about this game at all, a friend just showed me a trailer like 15 minutes ago, and before the trailer ended, I was updating my PS3, and now I have bought the game! Downloading! I still don't really know what to expect, but I have a feeling I have made a good decision!

You have. It's a great game.

kassatsu

Banned
wait, the servers are down? like if you just go into game -> community, sign in, it says unable to connect to server? are you able to contact psn?

-j
Servers have been down most of last night and I still cant connect. I am on Vita version and am connected to psn

Don't watch anything anymore. You'll love it!

I think if you are getting bad slowdown in the editor something may have gone wrong with your save, my level (link ;) has tons of decals and a few screens with 6+ active objects and I never noticed any slowdown (on vita).

Have you tried
a. Quiting the game/restarting the vita completely?
b. Starting a new level and see if you still have slowdown?

Regarding trimming extra frames, it shouldn't be necessary, a few mostly empty frames aren't causing your problem. Also, notes that are collected will play for the next three screens, so in the level editor you hear the notes on every screen within three of the current screen. If you're making a level and want to get away from your old notes (like if you want to change the tune completely) I think you need to use one of the transport objects like a pipe or an elevator to teleport several screens away.

Hope that helps

Man I tried everything. I am going to try it on the ps3 and see if it is better. I mean it stutters on the 3rd frame. And there isn't much going on. Other times when I collect a note I causes a skip in the game and the note has to load in.

Decided to make a list of all the levels made by GAFers so far. So here it is. Hopefully I didn't miss any.

Wired All Wrong
Relax for a Minute
Got To Start Somewhere

tearsofash
Tall

skynidas
the ADventure

kassatsu
Palm Reading

mauaus
Pj...Black

lastflowers
Messy Flowers
Suicide flowers

Lissar
Flower Lullaby Night
Madness and Cats
Reach for the Stars
A Winter Evening

dsigns1
Mario 1-1 (FULL)
Donkey Kong

ChuckNyce
My Jam

|ync
Jack and the beatstalk

shagg_187
Eden

Mechanized
Patience is a Virtue

famousmortimer
Four Screen Fastling
6am all day

Erebus

I haven't been following the thread much, does the PS3 version worth it? I have 15€ on my PSN wallet and I'm debating whether to buy this or The Journey.

WoolyNinja

I haven't been following the thread much, does the PS3 version worth it? I have 15€ on my PSN wallet and I'm debating whether to buy this or The Journey.

That's a hard choice to make - both games are great. Either way you shouldn't be disappointed.

Kazzy

Win all the levels - I think that's when they showed up for me

I have completed the campaign, as well as the death challenges too. No idea how to find Beat School though, I fumbled around in the menu's to no avail.

Am I missing something extremely obvious?

Welp I think my level is beyond repair, this sucks. Nearly every note causes the game to stutter really bad when it first plays and there are some other goofy things that occur like a spider when touched stays on the squashed running position after you are off it.

That was a lot of wasted hours.

queasy

Welp I think my level is beyond repair, this sucks. Nearly every note causes the game to stutter really bad when it first plays and there are some other goofy things that occur like a spider when touched stays on the squashed running position after you are off it.

That was a lot of wasted hours.

wait wait wait... what's busted exactly? is it just the current level you're on? we'd love to see the level so we can fix it. is it published? we may be able to check it out if it's published.

-j

wait wait wait... what's busted exactly? is it just the current level you're on? we'd love to see the level so we can fix it. is it published? we may be able to check it out if it's published.

-j

I haven't published it yet because I think its borked lol. I am trying to sync and play it on the ps3 but can't. I got am error message a couple of times but always quit without saving. I will publish it if I can connect oto your servers and post the link here.

I haven't published it yet because I think its borked lol. I am trying to sync and play it on the ps3 but can't. I got am error message a couple of times but always quit without saving. I will publish it if I can connect oto your servers and post the link here.

Just try removing some things. Maybe it's just too many moving items. I noticed that having a TOOOON of items in frames next to each other causes major slowdown.

Everyone should play Lissar's levels, they're stunningly beautiful.

Just try removing some things. Maybe it's just too many moving items. I noticed that having a TOOOON of items in frames next to each other causes major slowdown.

Everyone should play Lissar's levels, they're stunningly beautiful.

I will cut down on those and see. However if its the notes playing for the first time causing it to stiffer after that the frame plays perfectly. Even if I die and recollect they play fine.

queasy

so even if you try to publish, it'll error out on you before you can finish? what's the error?

can you try maybe moving the spawn point next to the goal to see if the shortened trip will let you publish faster? or even just scrolling to another empty screen, placing the goal and spawn next to each other just so you can publish it?

can you scroll at all?

does placing anything cause errors?

sorry we have a lot of questions! but we want to make sure the editor works well so the more info you can provide the better!

thanks!

-j

Syn23

Can't wait to play the game.

I can't think about any valid reason why the European release date is a week later.

|ync

Did you try starting a new level to see if that gives you the same problem?

Also, I would totally take up jonathan (queasy) on his offer to have a look at your level, it's not every day you get the developer willing to personally debug for you :)

Grisby

Campaign was alright, short and I feel it didn't really capitalize on a lot of the mechanics it introduced. Death mode is where it's at though, side all the random notes which blows a little.

I was a bit disappointed in more of the music then I thought I;d be. There's some really good stuff there but when the quality drops it drops hard and it feels like someone is smashing some pots or something together.

There were some really good moments in there though.

so even if you try to publish, it'll error out on you before you can finish? what's the error?

can you try maybe moving the spawn point next to the goal to see if the shortened trip will let you publish faster? or even just scrolling to another empty screen, placing the goal and spawn next to each other just so you can publish it?

can you scroll at all?

does placing anything cause errors?

sorry we have a lot of questions! but we want to make sure the editor works well so the more info you can provide the better!

thanks!

-j

Check your pm inbox.

dsigns1

Still can't sign-in.

I was able to get in a for a little to upload my level but then its down again for me.

Donkey Kong
091f63ab-9c34-33a6-bb1f-1111a8c3b328-image

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/NSkVeEu4

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What do you in Beat School?

Oh and since I got the game, my favorite music album is Beck's. But in terms of visual design, Corporeal was ace.

What do you in Beat School?

Oh and since I got the game, my favorite music album is Beck's. But in terms of visual design, Corporeal was ace.

Beat School is like a puzzle game. You hear a small clip and have to figure out where each note goes to replicate what you heard. It' was pretty easy and I got through it quickly, but still a lot of fun.

Went into this expecting to play this at something like 90% campaign and 10% editor mode but to my surprise its been the opposite. It would be cool if there was a way to remove empty panes as others have said, as well as a "subtract" tool. (Basically use a shape as a cookie cutter on other shapes)

Please... PLEEAASE release more albums guys, or at least more tracks. I would post who id like to see albums from but that would be a long list.

Also: I got all gushy and bashful when my gf finally asked to play my level. So exciting!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Add Anamanaguchi and I'll quadruple dip. :p

queasy

Strange, your inbox in the top right of this page doesn't have a message from?

Anyway. My username is the same as it is here. Level is called "The Fall and Rise". It takes forever to load so I have to have something eating up a lot resources. Although I deleted like half my scenes and still had problems.

Edit: direct link. http://soundshapesgame.com:80/level/zQSi7bnn

it seems like a lot of sounds are loaded, so it's not so much the amount of entities you have but the number of different types. if you keep the number of different types of entities down, resave, and then load again it might be better. you should make a copy of the level first though as a backup.

in the future i think we might have another fix that might make this better. we're still working through our giant list of fixes though.

sorry for inconvenience!

-j

it seems like a lot of sounds are loaded, so it's not so much the amount of entities you have but the number of different types. if you keep the number of different types of entities down, resave, and then load again it might be better. you should make a copy of the level first though as a backup.

in the future i think we might have another fix that might make this better. we're still working through our giant list of fixes though.

sorry for inconvenience!

-j

Just the different type of notes right? Specifically notes from different kits?

Also thanks for checking into it. I know you guys are busy.

queasy

Just the different type of notes right? Specifically notes from different kits?

Also thanks for checking into it. I know you guys are busy.

basically anything that has sounds. the loop notes take up more resources. some entities take up more too. they're all kind of different unfortunately :( i think the craig computers have a lot of sounds in them (when you touch them).

-j

basically anything that has sounds. the loop notes take up more resources. some entities take up more too. they're all kind of different unfortunately :( i think the craig computers have a lot of sounds in them (when you touch them).

-j

Alright I will go in with my scalpel and cut into some things.

Now I know going forward to keep it very simple and add layers later.

I hope there is an Everyday Shooter soundtrack DLC pack because I think I like the music in there more than this game. Its not bad, just not grabbing me as much as I would have wanted

Also, the game makes me wish I had even an ounce of musical talent so I could make a level

I hope there is an Everyday Shooter soundtrack DLC pack because I think I like the music in there more than this game. Its not bad, just not grabbing me as much as I would have wanted

Also, the game makes me wish I had even an ounce of musical talent so I could make a level

Yeah, I'm not very creative either haha

But I can fully appreciate the creativity of others.

I'm sure this has been covered so if someone can point me to news on whether there's going to be a demo, I'd be grateful. I really want to try this =(

Kazzy

Campaign was alright, short and I feel it didn't really capitalize on a lot of the mechanics it introduced. Death mode is where it's at though, side all the random notes which blows a little.

I was a bit disappointed in more of the music then I thought I;d be. There's some really good stuff there but when the quality drops it drops hard and it feels like someone is smashing some pots or something together.

There were some really good moments in there though.

I agree with all this, especially the criticism of the music.

I've enjoyed my time with it, but I can't understand why some people are touting it as a potential GOTY candidate.

Top Bottom