• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Zia

And I'm puzzled how anyone could dislike the soundtrack considering it's better than 99.9% of video game music.

Clearly. Even so, I'm a little puzzled.

I'm enamored by music games. Lumines was consistently in my psp for 3 years.

This game offers me the ability to EASILY mess around with creating levels for others to enjoy, along with the ability to consume other people's creations. This game can cause the hours fly away without my even thinking about it.

Now, I would not suggest that this is GOTY for anyone (or organization). However, it will probably be in the running for my GOTY if the community stays around it and more creation tools and sounds are added.

Grisby

And I'm puzzled how anyone could dislike the soundtrack considering it's better than 99.9% of video game music.
Some of the tracks are really good. Deadmouse's stuff in particular. But other sections just didn't hit it well with me.

see5harp

I feel like the controls are tight, but can be frustrating, especially on some of the death levels because of the sticky rotate stuff using the Vita analog. You need to add leaderboards to the death stuff, the ability to filter leaderboards for friends, but aside from that everything is gravy.

I actually like a lot of the music here. My main issue is with how everything is broken up into "screens" which introduces transitions that can be jarring. You'll hit the last "note" on a screen which is going to introduce a new track to the song and many times I'm in the next screen before you even hear that part of the track. Sometimes the game will obviously "hang" at the current track to make sure the next part comes in on time, but many times I swear the game moves on and in some songs it's like a drastic change instead of a logical change in the song.

Agent X

I just want to drop in an say that I've been loving this game for the last few days! It's a splendid combination of art, music, and solid platforming gameplay. It's great to see that so many other people are enjoying it, too.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I was wondering what Queasy was up to after Everyday Shooter, which I absolutely loved. This looks and sounds amazing. I can't wait to play it when I get off work in...18 hours. :(

Love your work, Queasy!

Why can't I get my cloud save from my Vita to my PS3 -- it tells me it can't sign in -- even if I sign out of PSN prior to booting up the game and sign in as part of the cloud save prompts... please help?

Hmmm, seems vita is broken too. what the fux?

Zia

I think I'm resigned to remaining in the top fifty on each level. The timing of the levels is way too random for my taste to really make this my "scoreboard" game.

Still in love with it, though.

Himself

Having some serious problems trying to upload scores/sign in.

Just got to the second world. This game just stepped it's game up.

Is there anyway to manually move my save data to my ps3?

played it on Vita yesterday. Home now and want to play on PS3. Has been failing to sign in for the past dozen or so minutes.

Cudder

Come on Queasy, get the servers working!!! I want my PS3 platinum.
LLShC.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think I'm resigned to remaining in the top fifty on each level. The timing of the levels is way too random for my taste to really make this my "scoreboard" game.

Still in love with it, though.

What's random about it?

qcf x2

I like the game a lot, but I'm not really digging the first album.

As an aside, I wish there were more scratching elements. That shit is fresh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jeez Wario, you're on the top of every level's leaderboard...you're more machine than man.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Everyone should play Lissar's levels, they're stunningly beautiful.

Thank you so much. :eek:

I actually have three new levels I made today, but I haven't been able to get in the entire day. :< I know some people are, but I haven't been able to at all. Disappointing, I wanted to show everyone my stuff.

Zia

Yeah. The patterns don't change at all.

The point the patterns are at when you enter the level are different when retrying, actually. On the first level, for instance, a generous alignment of the flower buds on the first few screens can shave a lot of seconds off of your time.

totowhoa

Banned
Is there no way to rate levels and sort them in any way other than new release? I'd sort of expect a bit more than that.. am I just missing something, or has it been said if it'll be added soon? Edit: Looking at the sound shapes site, it looks like it registers likes for levels. Guess I just missed it

OmegaZero

I know, such a terrible mode :)

Don't even get me started.

I will admit though that creating a separate mode just for trophy hunters sounds like it has potential. Hopefully other devs follow a similar line of thinking (and maybe in the process remove multiplayer trophies).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Don't even get me started.

I will admit though that creating a separate mode just for trophy hunters sounds like it has potential. Hopefully other devs follow a similar line of thinking (and maybe in the process remove multiplayer trophies).

Yep, like...Dyad!

Or the OG, Pixeljunk Monsters

Death mode really is terrible. Main game is awesome. The beat guessing game is a fun side-game. So, death mode sticks out as this poorly designed piece of shit mode that almost comes off as a joke on the player.

What I want to see is a tool assisted run of a death mode level, just to see if a perfect computer player could complete these stages. Because it feels entirely luck based. Because one round it places coins on opposite ends of the screen, and in the second you have four within a second.

edit: I'm definitely going to replay the main game after death mode to close off on a bright memory. The main game is really very good. I sat down and thought "I'll play this level, then go do work." And then "OK, this album." And then I finished the game and didn't realize it's been an hour or two after I started.

and on some level death mode is annoying me more because I can't sync with my PS3 and play there. I don't want to get too intense and damage my vita.

VanWinkle

I must be one of the only people who like death mode, lol. It's frustrating, and definitely based on some luck, but I like it. It takes me back to the anger-filled replayability of hard levels of earlier platformers (like DKC).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Regarding the albums in the game, I'm not sure which I like the best. It's a battle between Beck, Deadmau5 and those organic levels.

The superbrothers levels had the weakest gameplay, but the concept was absolutely awesome. The last 2 levels, specially the last one, were great.

queasy

to the folks having issues connecting to the server: apparently the. server is overloaded right now. we don't control the servers directly, sony does, and they're definitely on it. sorry for the hassles!

-j

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I hope they have it fixed soon. :<

Oddly enough, my US account gets in no problem, but my Japanese account hasn't been able to all day. My Japanese account is my main account and the one with all the levels, so it doesn't do me any good unless I want to play community levels. :s

to the folks having issues connecting to the server: apparently the. server is overloaded right now. we don't control the servers directly, sony does, and they're definitely on it. sorry for the hassles!

-j

Hmmm, any idea what would have caused the sudden spike? If it means you guys are getting good distribution, I can live with some server issues for a bit. Would love to get my save over to PS3 sooner rather than later though. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The beat guessing game is a fun side-game.
It saddens me to hear someone describe it as a guessing game. It's awesome to put on my headphones and listen to the beats and see where they are then place them correctly without guessing.

Top Bottom