• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Noi

Lissar, I love your Drink Me level, but having to do the whole thing without a single checkpoint is kinda harsh.

Oni Jazar

That elevators one is really neat, although at the end I got a script error message and had to restart my ps3. Not sure if it was on my end or not.

I got the same error. Took one of the elevators near the exit and got, "got a script error! game may still run but is unstable. it is recommended you don't save levels as it may corrupt them. click yes to ignore all further script errors. else, hit PS button to quit and run again."

Click yes.

"you're totally sure you want to ignore errors right?"

Click yes.

"last chance! ignore all script error from now on? remember game miiiight [sic] be unstable!"

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Lissar, I love your Drink Me level, but having to do the whole thing without a single checkpoint is kinda harsh.

I got that complaint, so I'm taking out most of the deathtraps (I'm not into making stressful levels.) Only put in so much red stuff because of the obvious relation. Moving stuff around and things like that. I know the obvious answer would be adding checkpoints, but I'd rather not have many levels that NEED checkpoints.

I got the same error. Took one of the elevators near the exit and got, "got a script error! game may still run but is unstable. it is recommended you don't save levels as it may corrupt them. click yes to ignore all further script errors. else, hit PS button to quit and run again."

Click yes.

"you're totally sure you want to ignore errors right?"

Click yes.

"last chance! ignore all script error from now on? remember game miiiight [sic] be unstable!"

I wish I could do something about it, but it seems to be an error with all elevators in all the levels I've played online. I guess I'll just have to tell people to not play Elevators. :< Sorry guys.

Need to beat Event Horizon 2 on Hell and can't seem to. The Platinum will forever be out of my reach.

Is that the one with the hill and the pulse beam? I found that one much easier than event horizon 1.

Not sure what I can tell you except get into a rhythm where you know when you have to *NOT* jump because you won't make it if you jump and the pulse comes.

Noi

I got that complaint, so I'm taking out most of the deathtraps (I'm not into making stressful levels.) Only put in so much red stuff because of the obvious relation. Moving stuff around and things like that. I know the obvious answer would be adding checkpoints, but I'd rather not have many levels that NEED checkpoints.

Well, the deathtraps are mostly fine except for one or two in particular. At the beginning, with the 4 guys that can drop the block in the room to the right, I actually tried multiple times to somehow get to the guy at the bottom even though I didn't have to... just kinda felt like he was the one I had to hit simply because he was the hardest to get to.

Also, in the room right after the long empty hallway, you're very likely to just run right into the red flower by just holding forward because you don't get stuck on the safe one that's slightly above the ground (which are also really hard to see because they're the same color as the background).

NateDrake

Is that the one with the hill and the pulse beam? I found that one much easier than event horizon 1.

Not sure what I can tell you except get into a rhythm where you know when you have to *NOT* jump because you won't make it if you jump and the pulse comes.

It's the one with the cross beams and the "river" type thing. One side flows up and the other goes down.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Well, the deathtraps are mostly fine except for one or two in particular. At the beginning, with the 4 guys that can drop the block in the room to the right, I actually tried multiple times to somehow get to the guy at the bottom even though I didn't have to... just kinda felt like he was the one I had to hit simply because he was the hardest to get to.

Also, in the room right after the long empty hallway, you're very likely to just run right into the red flower by just holding forward because you don't get stuck on the safe one that's slightly above the ground (which are also really hard to see because they're the same color as the background).

Well, that first one I kept because it's part of the puzzle, but otherwise made it easier to run through without hitting anything on accident (there are still deadly things in there, and I still died a few times, but I assume everyone else is much more skilled than me and will be able to navigate them easily.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/NB6mRhLI

Much less cheap deaths. Had to get rid of all the flowers on the stairs unfortunately, I really liked the look of that part.

Noi

Well, that first one I kept because it's part of the puzzle, but otherwise made it easier to run through without hitting anything on accident (there are still deadly things in there, and I still died a few times, but I assume everyone else is much more skilled than me and will be able to navigate them easily.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/NB6mRhLI

Much less cheap deaths. Had to get rid of all the flowers on the stairs unfortunately, I really liked the look of that part.

Much better now. Though now there's two leaderboard scores that can never be beaten since there's less coins to collect overall, haha.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Much better now. Though now there's two leaderboard scores that can never be beaten since there's less coins to collect overall, haha.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. That's kind of frustrating! ShockingAlberto is king of that level FOREVER.

I suppose I could put in enough notes to make up for the ones I took out because of difficulty in getting them. (And also two that had gotten stuck in floors.)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's the one with the cross beams and the "river" type thing. One side flows up and the other goes down.
At first glance, I thought I'd never get that one.
You need some luck with multiple notes appearing on the same side you're on, but other than that, you just need to be quick with floating up and down, and making perfect jumps.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
In Elevators I tried out putting the doors on different screens to see if that was affecting it in any way, but the error still occurred. I hope this gets a fix if there is a patch, I love this level. :<

I can't wait to finish my level tonight! I was about to finish last night when I hit a script error and lost some (probably large) amount of work. Server non-issues give me the push I need to finish it!

In Elevators I tried out putting the doors on different screens to see if that was affecting it in any way, but the error still occurred. I hope this gets a fix if there is a patch, I love this level. :<

yea that's a really cool level. I like how you reward exploration. You mind checking out my level and telling me what ya think?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
yea that's a really cool level. I like how you reward exploration. You mind checking out my level and telling me what ya think?

Thank you! You can probably tell that I come from an adventure gaming background rather than a platforming one. My major influences when it comes to games are Myst/Riven and the Portal series. I live for exploration and puzzles.

I thought your level was very nice! It was relaxing up until that one part where there were lasers all of a sudden! But I managed to get through it (again, adventure gaming background means my actiony skills are not up to par D:)

Proxy

From what little I've played of it this game is pretty good. Simple, although challenging at times and very relaxing. Also playing with headphones on is pure bliss.

Thank you! You can probably tell that I come from an adventure gaming background rather than a platforming one. My major influences when it comes to games are Myst/Riven and the Portal series. I live for exploration and puzzles.

I thought your level was very nice! It was relaxing up until that one part where there were lasers all of a sudden! But I managed to get through it (again, adventure gaming background means my actiony skills are not up to par D:)

Lol, thanks. There was a bit of a narrative where a person loses a job, moves out of the office, comes to a crossroads, personal hell as the person tries to find their way and then eventually climbs up and finds a way, which just so happens to be a job just like the one in the beginning. Lol probably poorly conveyed, but jump in my head and it will make sense.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hey guys, I'd love to get some feedback on my first published level. It's a pretty short level but it's a fun one for speed runs. Let me know what you think.

http://www.soundshapesgame.com/level/9e9raG6i

It's called Cocoa Puff but for some reason the game edited out "Puff." No idea what's up with that, lol.

That's hilarious.

Also, I'll play yours later!

Lol, thanks. There was a bit of a narrative where a person loses a job, moves out of the office, comes to a crossroads, personal hell as the person tries to find their way and then eventually climbs up and finds a way, which just so happens to be a job just like the one in the beginning. Lol probably poorly conveyed, but jump in my head and it will make sense.

Oh yeah, I can see that! Narrative is a bit difficult to pull off in this game I find, especially since people are just running through it.

Also, I've been testing Elevators. It seems it's ONLY those three doors that cause the error. Everything else is fine. I may try some re-routing to make the game playable. It's actually technically playable as is as long as you don't try to go through the doors in the end room, but that's not exactly helpful.

Finally able to upload my new song/level.

Cave Rave
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/zsbTFvIp

I'm very happy with how the music turned out in this one. Check it out please. I hope people enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it. Also, I really recommend headphones if you're on the Vita. The beginning bass line is kind of hard to hear with the Vita speakers.

Good stuff man, I really like the beats you came up with. I gave up on Relax for a Minute, though. :(
I love the music in Got To Start Somewhere. Good stuff Wired All Wrong.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it. This game is so satisfying to create and share stuff. I really enjoy the music part more than the level designing though.

About Relax for a Minute, that screen near the end can be pretty tough and I'm sure that's were most people are getting stuck. So here's a little tip. When you are sprinting or whatever, you can roll off the edge a little and still jump. Once you get it down you'll be able to do it every time. Nobody has come close to my time on the level yet. Come on GAF, I know you can do it.

NateDrake

At first glance, I thought I'd never get that one.
You need some luck with multiple notes appearing on the same side you're on, but other than that, you just need to be quick with floating up and down, and making perfect jumps.

Just beat it with .5 seconds left. Got lucky and had about 4 notes appear on the same side in the final 10 seconds when I had 6 notes left.

Hell Mode was more tedious than difficult.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ha! First level I actually think has clever design choices, loved it. Nice surprises and secrets too (elevator > ending bit was fun to discover), only ruined by a script error I ran into on my PS3(!) when I chose to take right elevator. Fortunately I was able to continue and complete the level afterwards.

Suddenly I'm more optimistic about user created levels.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is cloud saving working yet?
Yes on the PS3, but for me it didn't work by simply selecting it OR after trying to quit>sign-out>boot game>sign-in through cloud sync... No, the latter was giving me the same error. I had to sign-in through the community section then go to settings and select Cloud Sync. It sounds weird and random, but that's how it worked for me.

Honestly, it's kind of a mess right now, and it's a damn shame that a game as special as this would be hampered by these issues (and the Death Mode, I'll never waste a chance to bitch about it!).

Definitely my favorite user level so far, man. Very nicely done.

CorySchmitz

This is extremely rad:

A0N7W2UCQAAd2Iy.jpg

https://twitter.com/sak225/status/235167238016090112/photo/1

Does the PS3 version load sounds slower or something? My new level sounds choppy on the PS3 in some spots while it sounds fine on the Vita. I just tried the game on the PS3 for the first time and I was pretty disappointed with how my new level sounded. Guess I'll try re-publishing it.

tearsofash

Now that I've unlocked most of the stuff, I want to make more levels...but the syncing issue is making it hard to get all my stuff at the same place.

I can't search for these levels in the community tab.

EDIT: Got it to work.

EDIT 2: It's a hit or a miss... some find results..many others.. nothing.

Oni Jazar

Does the PS3 version load sounds slower or something? My new level sounds choppy on the PS3 in some spots while it sounds fine on the Vita. I just tried the game on the PS3 for the first time and I was pretty disappointed with how my new level sounded. Guess I'll try re-publishing it.

Aww crap now I'm worried how mine will sound on PS3.

Top Bottom