• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

...has anyone gotten a script error?...

Damn, I shoulda exit game instead of ignored the error.. it crashed with the save symbol in the corner -__-

arimanius

Made my first level on the Vita. Damn was it hard do. It's a very simple level but took forever.

Don't think I'm cutout for this creative stuff.

Lucent

Awesome, much appreciated. To anyone else that would like to check out my first level the tile is The Fall and Rise

Wow. Def an impressive level. I liked how the music flowed, too.

The only part that I didn't like is the Hell part, not because it was bad, I just had a hard time getting all the notes without missing a jump from the blog guys or getting zapped by lasers. So after several attempts I just got to the claw and got out of there. lol >_<

EDIT: I tried Lissar's Elevators level and got the script error at the elevators in the goal room. I said Yes to see what it'd do and it just kept stacking the error warning. Had to back out of the game. >_<

CorySchmitz

Tweeted this but forgot to mention here:

Factoid: The “amorphous blob” in the game is actually called The Player. Don’t think it’s ever specifically called out in-game though!

Ha! First level I actually think has clever design choices, loved it. Nice surprises and secrets too (elevator > ending bit was fun to discover), only ruined by a script error I ran into on my PS3(!) when I chose to take right elevator. Fortunately I was able to continue and complete the level afterwards.

Suddenly I'm more optimistic about user created levels.

This post made my day

Lissar

Reluctant Member
EDIT: I tried Lissar's Elevators level and got the script error at the elevators in the goal room. I said Yes to see what it'd do and it just kept stacking the error warning. Had to back out of the game. >_<

Yeah, sorry. I've been warning people off this one because of that. I'm planning on working on a reroute in a bit to make it playable (and testing it extensively.)

No one play this level before I've posted the okay! I don't want you flooded with script errors.

Wow. Def an impressive level. I liked how the music flowed, too.

The only part that I didn't like is the Hell part, not because it was bad, I just had a hard time getting all the notes without missing a jump from the blog guys or getting zapped by lasers. So after several attempts I just got to the claw and got out of there. lol >_<

Glad you like it! The music was something I put a lot of time and attention to and my next level is shaping up to be quite the tune as well. I will make note of that hell section, I heavily considered placing a checkpoint on the far right spinning rock...thing. In the end I wanted to save that part as a challenge for those that seek a challenge. If that makes sense. The fiendish side of me. lol I am not against adding a check point there if people think it would be better for it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Elevators are ALL KINDS OF MESSED UP.

Not only do they give occasional errors like the ones you guys have been experiencing, but they can cause boxes to lose gravity AND if you set them even a little deep into some objects they will cause you to TELEPORT INSIDE THE OBJECT.

I got teleported INTO THE MIDDLE OF A ROCK and couldn't escape! You could see me rolling around in the rock even. It was bizarre.

Elevators are ALL KINDS OF MESSED UP.

Not only do they give occasional errors like the ones you guys have been experiencing, but they can cause boxes to lose gravity AND if you set them even a little deep into some objects they will cause you to TELEPORT INSIDE THE OBJECT.

I got teleported INTO THE MIDDLE OF A ROCK and couldn't escape! You could see me rolling around in the rock even. It was bizarre.

Lol you sure you didn't copy an elevator inside a rock lol, j/k. Funny story though on the level I published I had a note that I couldn't not find anywhere, turns out I accidently stuck it on an unused screen neighboring a screen that was in use. To add insult to injury it was in the top right corner and the "item that you have selected to place on the screen" square was blocking it so I overlooked it like 4 times. That was a lot of time finding that one unused note.

Lucent

Glad you like it! The music was something I put a lot of time and attention to and my next level is shaping up to be quite the tune as well. I will make note of that hell section, I heavily considered placing a checkpoint on the far right spinning rock...thing. In the end I wanted to save that part as a challenge for those that seek a challenge. If that makes sense. The fiendish side of me. lol I am not against adding a check point there if people think it would be better for it.

Yeah well it makes sense for the Hell area to be hard. lol. It is Hell after all. =P

But yeah, it's really tough making levels. I mean, I haven't really had the time to sit down and make some seriously. I'm just experimenting with stuff when I have a little time. Trying to make good sounds and stuff. The only problem is how the sounds last for 3 sections. You gotta think about what sounds will mesh well with others. And you def have to work on the sounds before the levels because it'll be very hard to get the sounds if you can't...get to them cuz you want your level a certain way. lol. Ah man just wish I had inf time. >_<

Yeah well it makes sense for the Hell area to be hard. lol. It is Hell after all. =P

But yeah, it's really tough making levels. I mean, I haven't really had the time to sit down and make some seriously. I'm just experimenting with stuff when I have a little time. Trying to make good sounds and stuff. The only problem is how the sounds last for 3 sections. You gotta think about what sounds will mesh well with others. And you def have to work on the sounds before the levels because it'll be very hard to get the sounds if you can't...get to them cuz you want your level a certain way. lol. Ah man just wish I had inf time. >_<

Go in and start on a fresh page and try to create a nice drum beat and layer in some sounds to create something resembling a song. Once you have that template move 3 screens away so you don't hear that anymore and start creating, and use each screen to layer the sounds. Also to extend the playtime of notes snake the level back around the starting point. Another tip is to listen to some music from real artists you like and mimic at the very least their drum beat. For electronic/dance music Beatport even lists the BPM of every song they have on there.

Lucent

Go in and start on a fresh page and try to create a nice drum beat and layer in some sounds to create something resembling a song. Once you have that template move 3 screens away so you don't hear that anymore and start creating, and use each screen to layer the sounds. Also to extend the playtime of notes snake the level back around the starting point. Another tip is to listen to some music from real artists you like and mimic at the very least their drum beat. For electronic/dance music Beatport even lists the BPM of every song they have on there.

Awesome tips. Yeah I'm def gonna be trying stuff out. I sort of use one of the cassettes as a testing ground so i can just see how things work and sound. I noticed some funny things like how the small volcano shoots a projectile and depending on how high/low it is and how it arcs it makes different sounds. The creation is so deep in this.

MooMoo

Platinum get! I don't think I'll ever get high on the leaderboards. I find myself just enjoying the music too much. If anything, I expect to be the lowest on all the leaderboards at some point :p

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Everyone, play my newest level: http://soundshapesgame.com/level/ad6VVybK

Tell me what you think. It was an attempt to capture the moods and musical changes that we all go through as we progress through various stages of life. I'm not sure whether I succeeded, but I hope some people like it.

This was very nice, I liked it! My only suggestion would to make it a little neater, because it's a bit messy.

And well, nope, I'm not going to bother with Elevators anymore until they fix them. Elevators that worked before are now giving me the glitch. I ran through all of them after publishing it just to test it and it worked fine. But running though it again before posting it ended up with errors errors errors. It's not worth it to keep changing it if script errors are going to pop up where they haven't before. I'm just going to warn people to use elevators sparingly because they can mess up your level.

Please take the level off the list, I don't want people playing it and running into script errors.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nothing warms my heart in this game more than playing a well made, unrestricting user created level. One that that makes me immediately recognize the direct path to the end, but still allow me to explore, and rewards me for doing so.

Alberto's levels are kinda like that, their structure remind me of VVVVVV, in a good way. I also love how he blends the color of the background and platforms to hide secret passages. I highly recommend them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, people should stop cramming all their ideas into one room, and spread them across an entire level. One idea/contraption at a time. Attention to color and simplicity is encouraged as well.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My first impression of Lissar's Drink Me was: Oh my god so pretty and nicely done.
5Zp7p.gif

My second impression of Lissar's Drink Me was: Oh my fucking god no check points?!
2xof6.gif

Anyhow, I'm really impressed by some of the user created levels. I'm not sure how I should split the credit between the tight editor/mechanics and users' creativity, but either way me rikey.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
My first impression of Lissar's Drink Me was: Oh my god so pretty and nicely done.
5Zp7p.gif

My second impression of Lissar's Drink Me was: Oh my fucking god no check points?!
2xof6.gif

Anyhow, I'm really impressed by some of the user created levels. I'm not sure how I should split the credit between tight editor and mechanics and users' creativity, but me rikey.

Ahaha. Sorry about the lack of checkpoints, for some reason I really have it out for them. I haven't included a single one in any of my levels. I can't really explain why I don't like to use them, but I can understand if people don't want to play my levels without them. Near the beginning there is an area where probably everyone dies, but that's just part of the puzzle. Because I want to focus on having people figure things out, and considering how short the levels are anyway, I don't necessarily intend everyone to get everything the first time they play.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well, I wasn't looking for an apology or attempting to persuade you into incorporating them, as their absence give any level, as long as it's not meant to be cheap, a satisfying intensity. But it was still surprising when it first happened. I fell to my death near the level end, can't remember which part specifically lol.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Ah, well, I had a lot of complaints and took out many of the "cheap" deaths that I hadn't really intended. I mostly put red things in there because it IS the Red Queen and I did want a little bit of danger but not too much.

Also, unpublished Elevators. :< I really wish it would work, but I don't want to crash everyone's PS3s/Vitas if they decide to play it and the script error happens. Maybe one day if there is a patch...

Also, the first several times I tried unpublishing it I got a script error. I got script errors unpublishing a level with script errors! D:

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Oh my gwaa~! Everybody should be play this awesome level. It's simply *GASP* a piece of art! Beautiful look, music and design. Very fun to play too.

Diamond Elephunk Factory

I give it:
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif
OUT OF
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif
EeQjV.gif

This game is blowing my mind right now.

Ah, well, I had a lot of complaints and took out many of the "cheap" deaths that I hadn't really intended. I mostly put red things in there because it IS the Red Queen and I did want a little bit of danger but not too much.

Well I just started playing your levels, and I have no complaints so far after I adjusted to your "no check points" choice. You're doing a great job, so keep doing what you're doing.

Oni Jazar

I'm really loving the way my new (unpublished) level is turning out! Can't wait to share it with you guys. I'm going for the more atmospheric less challenging tone this time so Lissar will like it. I'm making some complex objects but it's a pain that I can't select all and move around or delete parts of solid objects (make a doughnut for example).

Updated the GAF list with the new songs and deleted your Elevators song Lissar. Let me know if you fix it and I'll add it back.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40976880&postcount=1252

Maybe it would be a good idea to add that post to the OP? I could just keep updating the list and people could link to it instead of posting the whole list all the time since it's starting to get pretty long.

Also, please try out my new level. I'd really like to know what you guys think of it.
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/zsbTFvIp

Foshy

Maybe it would be a good idea to add that post to the OP? I could just keep updating the list and people could link to it instead of posting the whole list all the time since it's starting to get pretty long.
Yeah, that'd be much better.

Also, please try out my new level. I'd really like to know what you guys think of it.
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/zsbTFvIp
Just tried it, it's awesome :] One of the best custom made levels I've tried yet. The part where you had to swing on that chain was pretty hard for me though, got stuck there for like 5-6 minutes, lol.

It's interesting seeing the play-times on the level I made; they're honestly a lot higher than I expected. I guess you just get so used to play-testing a level that you get completely disconnected from the feeling of playing it for the first time. Either that or I took a little too much inspiration from Super Meat Boy. :p

I would pay money for level + sound packs. But this game is really fun!
Me too, definitely.

Cudder

I can't believe so many people changed my shitty Silent Hill level! Lol...

I'm working on a Silent Hill 2 level now and I'm actually putting effort into it. Will let you know when its finished!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've just finished the main campaign, and I gotta say I was only impressed by the Beck levels. The rest is fun, but not particularly interesting in any way.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Been digging this game. Two major complaints are that the community section seems to always be down, and making a level on the Vita isn't as nice as making one on the PS3. I wish I could use the PS3 controls, instead, on the Vita... I keep accidentally touching the back pad.

The jumping in this takes some getting used to. Moving and jumping at different speeds is really irritating to me.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, but it's taking me a bit to get into it since it's different than what I expected.

Just tried it, it's awesome :] One of the best custom made levels I've tried yet. The part where you had to swing on that chain was pretty hard for me though, got stuck there for like 5-6 minutes, lol.
Thanks Foshy, I'm glad you liked it. Once you get that chain part down you can get through it in a good rhythm with just a few swings. Was that part more frustrating than fun though? I may tweak that part of the level if it annoys people. I queued up your level and I'll give it a go tonight.

Here's the level again for the new page for those that want to try it. Last time I'll post it, I swear!
Cave Rave: http://www.soundshapesgame.com/level/zsbTFvIp

Foshy

Thanks Foshy, I'm glad you liked it. Once you get that chain part down you can get through it in a good rhythm with just a few swings. Was that part more frustrating than fun though? I may tweak that part of the level if it annoys people.

No, it's ok like that. The chain didn't get used often in the campaign levels so I was just not used to it. The final jump where you have to bounce on the guy drinking coffee is pretty unforgiving though, so you might want to put a checkpoint before that. Getting all the way up to fail there was slightly annoying.

Top Bottom