• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Fabrik

Banned
And who is saying the game will be good because its exclusive? lol Good assumption there.

And why do you follow games you already know you wont like? Why bring the Gravity Rush argument after all? Why do you even posted something like your first post here, already avatarquoting you, was that your real intention in the first place?

Please...

I pre-emptively avatarquoted me before people would do it. I just find it stupid. What is it supposed to mean? I have a Mario avatar so I only like Nintendo games? Come on. Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes are both "artsy" games. People like them in advance because they are pretty but it is obvious to me that the gameplay is/will be repetitive. Even Rhythm Heaven has more gameplay mechanics variety than Sound Shapes. The game will be okayish but you will have seen all the gameplay mechanics the game has to offer within 2 minutes.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I pre-emptively avatarquoted me before people would do it. I just find it stupid. What is it supposed to mean? I have a Mario avatar so I only like Nintendo games? Come on. Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes are both "artsy" games. People like them in advance because they are pretty but it is obvious to me that the gameplay is/will be repetitive. Even Rhythm Heaven has more gameplay mechanics variety than Sound Shapes. The game will be okayish but you will have seen all the gameplay mechanics the game has to offer within 2 minutes.
I wish I had your incredible sense of intuition.

Give the game a chance before completely writing it off.

I've been playing games for long enough to know what to expect from seeing video footage only. I know my tastes very well and I'm almost never wrong.
And the same as people deciding in advance that this game is awesome without even playing it, I decide that this game is too shallow for me.

I expect you don't play any video games at all, then.

haters gonna hate gif required.

iMqZQl0AawUNN.gif

LuuKyK

lol People like Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes for completely different reasons! They are not both "artsy" games at all. I mean, they could be in your perspective, but still they are completely different games and it doesn't make sense to include them both on your argument there. Well, I see you already made up your mind, so I am pretty much wasting me time here, so keep on hating for the sake of hating, I guess. smh

From what you are saying, games like Tetris, Counter-strike, Chess, Katamari, Street Fighter 2, Mario, Shadow of The Colossus, Flower and Journey are all okayish cause we've already seen all the gameplay mechanics the game has to offer within 2 minutes, because they are repetitive, with some of them being "artsy". Right?!

That has nothing to do with anything beyond mobile (ie. doesn't mean anything to console/handheld/etc).

wGoye.gif

So, following this description, rhythm games like beatmania, djmax, pop n music, taiko no tatsujin, etc... are just okayish (and repetitive) because you can grasp the gameplay mechanics within 2 minutes, right?

Zia

Any game that has an aesthetic informed by contemporary art, animation, commercial or industrial design is "artsy."

Counter-Strike is the artsiest.

Famassu

You have an avatar from a game where you press right and a jump button to win the game, yet you call Sound Shapes shallow? It's all about the level design in platform games, and given that Sound Shapes not only gives you level design tools, it gives you a music editor WHICH DIRECTLY AFFECTS the levels & gameplay, there seems to be plenty enough depth for a platformer, especially in the hands of all the creative individuals who often flock to these kinds of games.

whitehawk

Banned
I guess you just don't like new and innovative games.
I do if they are fun. Hopefully Sound Shapes is, but we don't know yet. He has every right to be sceptical, as am I. And I've played a bit of the game.
You have an avatar from a game where you press right and a jump button to win the game, yet you call Sound Shapes shallow? It's all about the level design in platform games, and given that Sound Shapes not only gives you level design tools, it gives you a music editor WHICH DIRECTLY AFFECTS the levels & gameplay, there seems to be plenty enough depth for a platformer, especially in the hands of all the creative individuals who often flock to these kinds of games.
You have an avatar from a game where you press right and a jump button to win the game, yet you call Sound Shapes shallow?
You have an avatar from a game where you press right and a jump button to win the game
You have an avatar from a game where you press right and a jump button to win the game
press right and a jump button to win the game
I... Think about what you just said.

I've been playing games for long enough to know what to expect from seeing video footage only. I know my tastes very well and I'm almost never wrong.
And the same as people deciding in advance that this game is awesome without even playing it, I decide that this game is too shallow for me.
Holy shit

Well... I'd hate to jump on any sort of hate bandwagon, but looking at the videos in the OP alone, the game doesn't look very fun. As the developer in the first video said, it's not really about a video game-y challenge, but more the experience, which looks and sounds cool.

I understand and respect that, and I'd love to check out the game (and may do so on the PS3... Wish I still had my Vita :( ), but I can't see it being very fun for me at all. For those who really enjoy the experience in games, sure.

So I can see where Fabrik is coming from.

Famassu

Think about what you just said.
My point being, you can call anything shallow if you simplify the game to its core. I don't see what makes Sound Shapes style over substance (just like Gravity Rush isn't, that game nails gravity control better than any game before it).

Zia

He is not skeptical, he is dismissive.

Which would be fine if the aesthetic didn't engage him. Games are a visual medium, after all. He'd be crazy, but whatever. The issue is with him claiming the game lacks substance.

I agree with you. But that's not the point. The sound editor is amazing. The actual platforming will be poor and that's all that matters to me.

See. Definitive, ignorant statements like that are what people are taking issue with.

Famassu

I agree with you. But that's not the point. The sound editor is amazing. The actual platforming will be poor and that's all that matters to me.
Suddenly it doesn't lack substance, the platforming will 100% surely be poor. Please give us your crystal ball, although I don't pick up games I don't like often, I would still have saved a few euros if I had your prediction capabilities. Because people who've actually played this game say they enjoy it. Now you can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this game will be shit. Yeah, excuse us if we don't take you seriously.

Corto

ZrkQR.gif

Tutomos

Fabrik is the kind of person who will pay money to buy a game he thinks it's shitty and then play the game for 10 minutes and post on internet forum to confirm that he was right in his predictions. It's all good because Sony and Queasy Games get his money in the end.

Fabrik

Banned
Suddenly it doesn't lack substance, the platforming will 100% surely be poor. Please give us your crystal ball, although I don't pick up games I don't like often, I would still have saved a few euros if I had your prediction capabilities. Because people who've actually played this game say they enjoy it. Now you can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this game will be shit. Yeah, excuse us if we don't take you seriously.

I think the platforming will lack substance and will be slow. It's an "experience" game, a glorified music editor. Everything I've seen from this game point to it. That's my main point and I think it's fair. And people saying Mario is about going right with a jump button. Do you really want me to list the number of actions you can perform in Mario 3 for instance?

** Puts shield and helmet on **
Another game on Vita with style over substance. Like Gravity Rush. To each his own I guess.

image.php
holy shit how the hell are you not banned. hahahahaha god damn

It'd be cool if outside materials could be imported into the game. I'd love to see a Retro City Rampage themed level along with music to go with it. I only say that because Brian Provinciano seems so into the Vita and it seems like something he'd do.

Fabrik |OT| Clairvoyant Turtle Stomper.
-----------------------------------------

Really looking forward to this. The first videos sold me on the Vita so can't wait :)

Agent X

1239853_o.gif

inner-G

Banned
I think the platforming will lack substance and will be slow. It's an "experience" game, a glorified music editor. Everything I've seen from this game point to it. That's my main point and I think it's fair. And people saying Mario is about going right with a jump button. Do you really want me to list the number of actions you can perform in Mario 3 for instance?

1. Run to the right.

2. Press jump button.

There, I saved you some time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think it is kind of fair to call out the "this will be amazing" people too. You could also ask: Can I borrow your time machine? But nobody cares if people get hyped.

I think that's because Hype is fun, whereas coming into a thread and spouting negativity just brings everybodie's mood down.

I agree that it's fair to call out those getting overly excited for a game they've never played, but I also know which one I'd prefer to be reading in game threads. My life is stressful enough at times to not want to get pissed off at trolls on the internet.

Let the hyping continue!

Also, I preordered this last night, so I can't wait to try it out. I also bought Malicious for the PS+ price, but haven't played much of it (fired it up for literally 3 or 4 minutes just to get a look at it).

I think Sound Shapes will be great for me to tool around with on the bus.

EDIT: And Gravity Rush was fricking awesome. I was hyped for that game, and it lived up to my expectations. There is a certain level of self control a gamer must exercise to avoid disappointment. I was super hyped for GR, but I was in the mindset that it wasn't going to be "teh best game evah!" So, when I played the game, I loved it to death, but understood and accepted it's flaws. I know where my mindset is at with Sound Shapes, so I'm not expecting to be disappointed in the end.

Been waiting for this and Zen Pinball 2 to breathe some life into my dead Vita. Not sure what happened to Zen Pinball. It was supposed to be out in April, and then they said July. Still nothing. Can't wait for this.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member

Go away. Right now. Leave this thread and never come back. LEAVE THIS THREAD AND NEVER COME BACK

People are really defensive here. I wonder why. I stated it was just my opinion.
I don't like this tendency of proclaming any exclusive game the best thing ever before release and yet look at the Gravity Rush thread, a lof of people were pretty dissapointed by it in the end.

I have yet to see you make an initial post in any thread that wasn't either a deliberate troll or attention whoring. If you make other kinds of posts where you don't try to open with "hey guys, look at me, I'm Mr. Disagree", I regret that I haven't had the good fortune to experience one, and I humbly apologize.

If Fabrik ever came into a thread revolving around a Playstation exclusive and said something positive about it... then I must have missed it. His schtick is incredibly tiresome and forced by now.

Fabrik

Banned
If Fabrik ever came into a thread revolving around a Playstation exclusive and said something positive about it... then I must have missed it. His schtick is incredibly tiresome and forced by now.

You won't find me saying anything bad in the Guacamelee thread :). I was instantly interested when I heard the concept around Sound Shapes but I was very disappointed when I saw the platforming and the action. We're on an Internet forum to share opinions right?

You won't find me saying anything bad in the Guacamelee thread :). I was instantly interested when I heard the concept around Sound Shapes but I was very disappointed when I saw the platforming and the action. We're on an Internet forum to share opinions right?
I have to agree with this post. I won't be as radical as Fabrik regarding the way the platforming will be implemented in the game because I think that we have seen a very low part of the possibilities of the game but after seeing a few videos the platforming parts coud seem a little bit slow and not really challenging. I mean that this seems to be very basic.
Of course the purpose of the game is to offer a whole new concept but by counting on the creativity of the community not on the basics gamlay mecanics and levels we had seen for now...
So like him I'm interrested but intrigued by what will be the final possibilities.

Also we are in fact here to different point of vue so we all should be open minded and tolerate different opinions than ours. It doesn't seem to be simple trolling here and he clearly expose his arguments... Valuable or not the debate is here and that's it.

Top Bottom