• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Corto

I dont have a vita. I prefer substance over style. I dont give a shit about music or creation tools. I only like tested platforming experiences. I watched the videos but anyway wanted to ask to those that have tried the game: is this game for me?

I'm not able to help you as I haven't played the game. Just wanted to ask why you don't give a shit about music?

Another of the lesser known artists featured in the game are Pyramid Attack. Sound Shapes isn't their first time working with a video game as they did the intro to Guitar Hero 2. They've even worked with Rush before so working with a well known musical artist is old news to them as well. I'm browsing through their site and falling in love with their style.

Official site

zwy4p.jpg

Zia

Do you know who the last character in the Sound Shapes theme was designed by? There's (in no particular order) Jon Mak, Capy, Pixeljam, Pyramid Attack, Superbrothers and... ? It's the Charles Burns-esque thing on the end. Can't put my finger on who designed it.

Clunker

I dont have a vita. I prefer substance over style. I dont give a shit about music or creation tools. I only like tested platforming experiences. I watched the videos but anyway wanted to ask to those that have tried the game: is this game for me?
I haven't played this at all, but if the musical component or the audiovisual layering doesn't matter to you at all, I feel pretty comfortable saying this isn't the game for you. Imagine yourself asking, "I don't give a shit about music, but I like rhythm games. Do you think I would like Rock Band?"

StuBurns

Banned
This is such a strange post when placed next to your avatar.

kerrak

Sorry to fool some of you. My previous post was sarcasm, probably unnecesary, but i'm tired of so much vita trolling. I only wanted to highlight that even if every opinion is respectable, some of them are very shallow.
I'm eagerly waiting for this game since february and I have high expectations in terms of a psn game, and hopefully it will deliver.
And btw i consider everything sound related in games very important. Music, sound effects, audio quality both in terms of palette, style and originality on any genre.
And sound is the main point of this game, Platforming is probably added to make it more palatable or gamey. I'm fine with this approach.

Corto

Sorry to fool some of you. My previous post was sarcasm, probably unnecesary, but i'm tired of so much vita trolling. I only wanted to highlight that even if every opinion is respectable, some of them are very shallow.
I'm eagerly waiting for this game since february and I have high expectations in terms of a psn game, and hopefully it will deliver.
And btw i consider everything sound related in games very important. Music, sound effects, audio quality both in terms of palette, style and originality on any genre.
And sound is the main point of this game, Platforming is probably added to make it more palatable or gamey. I'm fine with this approach.

I almost posted something in the line of "well you just left out that you hate games with Sound in the title". hehehehe

Why is the XMB background thread not bumped by skilled firmware hacked PS3 users who can extract the glorious PS-theme background for PC use? Or is this against GAF ToS?

Or even better, please Queasy/Sony can you make it available somehow for PC?

Why are you dilly dallying folks?! :D

Salsa

Im jelly. Good show Playstation users, i'll get a Vita eventually.

As with LocoRoco and Patapon before it these are the types of games that make me want these devices. 2D games just benefit that much more from a crisper screen, not to mention that is my prefered format for handheld gaming, this is a game that is tailored towards that.

Just wait for meeeeee

Fabrik

Banned

My problem is that your actions doesn't seem to have any effect on the sound directly, you collect a note and it's added to the musical background. There's no Synesthesia. It's not your gameplay that produce the sounds so in the end, it's just a pretty package that doesn't do anything new in the gameplay department. Something more along the line of Beat Block Galaxy would have been way more interesting. Maybe in the latter levels, the obstacles and platforms are really in sync with the music.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm not completely seduced yet but i'll give it a shot anyway. I like the idea of game based on creation!

meta4

My problem is that your actions doesn't seem to have any effect on the sound directly, you collect a note and it's added to the musical background. There's no Synesthesia. It's not your gameplay that produce the sounds so in the end, it's just a pretty package that doesn't do anything new in the gameplay department. Something more along the line of Beat Block Galaxy would have been way more interesting. Maybe in the latter levels, the obstacles and platforms are really in sync with the music.

Sigh. Dont you get bored of trolling on Playstation threads. Judging by your post history it looks like you are not even close to getting bored.

nofi

That's not true. Everything you do builds up the music background.

You're also playing against music tracks, so you're not going to be able to create your own music whilst jumping about. You do that in the editor mode (to some degree).

This is the freshest thing I've played for months. It might not be for everyone but there are elements to this (the Superbrothers levels are amazing) that are just so good.

Sound Shapes is great. You'll see tomorrow when reviews hit (assuming everyone feels the same way as me).

That's not true. Everything you do builds up the music background.

You're also playing against music tracks, so you're not going to be able to create your own music whilst jumping about. You do that in the editor mode (to some degree).

This is the freshest thing I've played for months. It might not be for everyone but there are elements to this (the Superbrothers levels are amazing) that are just so good.

Sound Shapes is great. You'll see tomorrow when reviews hit (assuming everyone feels the same way as me).

That sounds great, I feel this is such an amazing game like Journey and Dyad but overlooked...

nofi

That sounds great, I feel this is such an amazing game like Journey and Dyad but overlooked...

It didn't have the same emotional impact as Journey for me, but a few of the levels made me just go 'woah' and when it clicks, and you're competing for times and a perfect run, it's potentially massively addictive.

And endless, given the level editor.

Fabrik

Banned
Everything you do builds up the music background.

How exactly? By collecting coins?
I saw one level where when the elevators are moving, their sound are integrated well in the overall music. That is the kind of thing I was expecting. Every single moving interactive objects creating the main melody. That would have been truly awesome.

nofi

How exactly? By collecting coins?
I saw one level where when the elevators are moving, their sound are integrated well in the overall music. That is the kind of thing I was expecting. Every single moving interactive objects creating the main melody. That would have been truly awesome.

On some levels, pretty much everything reacts to / makes music.

It didn't have the same emotional impact as Journey for me, but a few of the levels made me just go 'woah' and when it clicks, and you're competing for times and a perfect run, it's potentially massively addictive.

And endless, given the level editor.

9 more days for this game. Havent played Dyad for some time since I got stuck. :/

Fabrik

Banned
On some levels, pretty much everything reacts to / makes music.

The visual/audio/obstacle pattern should match, not just some flourish in the level background like in most of the videos I've seen. What i'm saying is that obstacles and ennemy patterns should create a sound corresponding to their movement and have a gameplay implication (Like the koopas dancing in NSMBWii with every WAH WAH for instance). Why only a few levels do it? It's supposed to be the main concept of the game.
But thanks for your answers, I'll wait to see more complex levels before making a final judgement.

nofi

Is the download size the same as on PS3 and Vita?

Roughly, yes.

The visual/audio/obstacle pattern should match, not just some flourish in the level background like in most of the videos I've seen. What i'm saying is that obstacles and ennemy patterns should create a sound corresponding to their movement and have a gameplay implication (Like the koopas dancing in NSMBWii with every WAH WAH for instance). Why only a few levels do it? It's supposed to be the main concept of the game.
But thanks for your answers, I'll wait to see more complex levels before making a final judgement.

They do, they match perfectly. EVERYTHING is to the beat, something you have to figure out when you start editing. There's a Lumines-style beat bar in edit mode.

You'll see.

Famassu

"In most of the videos you've seen", as in "in the one vid you kind of glanced at six months ago. Because things are exactly as you describe.

Cornbread78

Alright, probably a question already ordered, but I'll ask again..

I pre-ordered the game the other night on my PS3. With that being said, will it download automatically onto my PS3 at launch through the PS+ service?

At teh same time, I really want to play this on my VITA. Will it show up on my D/L list automatically (as paid/bought), so I can download it right onto my VITA tomorrow?

Alright, probably a question already ordered, but I'll ask again..

I pre-ordered the game the other night on my PS3. With that being said, will it download automatically onto my PS3 at launch through the PS+ service?

At teh same time, I really want to play this on my VITA. Will it show up on my D/L list automatically (as paid/bought), so I can download it right onto my VITA tomorrow?

It currently does not do this. Hopefully they implement this soon.

Regarding the Vita version, I think you're right. You might have to grab it from the DL list from the Vita PSN store.

Top Bottom