• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Markew001

Repost for our new page and our newly participating European brethren: Organica Mechanica

Try my level, yo! I can't wait to get home and try some of these crazy new levels I've been reading about today. I need to start building my second orchestra asap! Why aren't there more hours in the day?!

Gemüsepizza;41066701 said:
Sigh. I really liked the game - until I began with Death Mode. I don't know what they were thinking. It is not just hard, it is unfair. Randomly spawning notes? Why? It would be so much better if they had a fixed position, was there not enough time to balance this? This could be easily fixed by either removing the random spawns or by increasing the time limit slightly. But I doubt this will happen. Really disappointed.
If they weren't randomized it would just become about memorizing the pattern. I think you just have to accept that some rounds are out of reach, with the possibility that a good run could be ruined by note placement adding tension to the proceedings. It's really exhilarating when you pull it off. But I don't know, maybe I'll get fed up with it too.

btkadams

YES YES YES!!!!! Listen to this man. I would love to be able to tweak the sound and tempo of objects. Personally I would love to see a producer like Diplo, rustie, Hudson mohawke, or maybe a moombaton producer to add a set of tools that allows one to make a bass heavy raver. Most of the tools (especially the loops) in the game now lend themselves to fairly mellow songs.

i think it'd be a bit much to expect the game to let you create moombahton tracks ha. i actually dig the mellow style for this game. the sound design fits the visual style of the game too. i'm totally FOR other artists coming in and adding more sounds and ideas though.

If they weren't randomized it would just become about memorizing the pattern.

And... ? There is a time limit. This should be enough to make it difficult.

I think you just have to accept that some rounds are out of reach, with the possibility that a good run could be ruined by note placement adding tension to the proceedings.

You mean I have to accept that the devs want me to waste my time on unbeatable situations, because they were to lazy to balance them right, or thought this would be "fun"?

jbartee

It just occurred to me after playing through all these incredible gaf levels -the thing that's really missing from the user level system is a way to share your level as an editable package for study and "remixing." This could be totally up to the author -just a little flag to check if you want your level to be accessible in the editor in addition to playable from the servers. Then you could download someone's level to a local tape, open it up, pick it apart, make a new version of it, and reupload.

No idea if the infrastructure is there to support something like that but it would be super awesome

orioto

Good Art™
Just played the two first albums. The first one is real nice, especially rowdy clowdy (is that it ?) but the superbrother one oh my.. oh my... I think i've never ever experienced such high artistic direction and feelings in a game, ever... I was amazed the whole time. It's just so fucking wonderful..

It just occurred to me after playing through all these incredible gaf levels -the thing that's really missing from the user level system is a way to share your level as an editable package for study and "remixing." This could be totally up to the author -just a little flag to check if you want your level to be accessible in the editor in addition to playable from the servers. Then you could download someone's level to a local tape, open it up, pick it apart, make a new version of it, and reupload.

No idea if the infrastructure is there to support something like that but it would be super awesome

I was thinking about that the other day. It would be cool to make levels collaboratively or maybe have a contest where someone makes a level without notes and everyone tries to make the best song from it. There seems to be a lot of potential with this game and I hope it becomes a successful series.

Also for the new page, here's the link to the GAF levels.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40976880&postcount=1252

Oni Jazar

Yes that would be cool! Someone finish my level! :)

Cudder

The editor is cool, but is also very cumbersome to use. Not every object can be manipulated the same which sucks. When you have an idea in your head that requires the use of an object, but it just needs to be "just a bit bigger", and then you find out you can only rotate it, it really puts a damper on the fun in creating things. It's pretty much a poor man's LBP creation kit.

Oni Jazar

It's pretty much a poor man's LBP creation kit.

This is pretty much why I enjoy it so much. It's a lot easier for anyone to make fun levels yet still gives enough variation and control to make people's levels feel different. It could be better but I never really made any LBP levels before.

Hello gaf. Just finished a level that I'm really excited to share. I'd be much obliged if you'd give it a play:
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/r68ztG5x

There's not much platforming challenge, but it does contain some light puzzle solving. I really tried my best to push the boundaries of the editor -it contains a new way of hiding rooms, a "cut scene" engine of sorts, and a neat exploit involving game overs that I don't wanna give away as it ruins the surprise.

I don't think there will be a problem getting through it but I'm happy to help out if people get stuck.

Thanks for considering playing!

mind blown. Everyone should play this level.

areal

What's the easiest way to get these levels in my Vita? Do I need to print out the links and put the paper in one of the slots?

Oni Jazar

What's the easiest way to get these levels in my Vita? Do I need to print out the links and put the paper in one of the slots?

Login to the soundshapesgame.com website and queue the levels you want. Then on the Vita go to the Community section and select your profile and the queued levels are under the "hearted" section.

Or you can search for the levels by name on the Vita.

Hey guys, I finally got around to publishing my second level. I'm really proud of this one. It's called Thrill Seeker.

A few thoughts on the design philosophy behind it:

First off, I basically designed the level in a 3 x 3 grid (with one cell as an exception) that started from the top middle cell and worked around counterclockwise. The reason I decided to do that is so I could end the level on the center cell which would be playing all of the coins collected throughout the level. It basically lets the music build up more and more as you go which fits pretty well with the level I thought. The few times you aren't hearing most of the notes (the corners of the grid) have kind of an ambient feel which I also liked a lot.

As far as the actual design of the gameplay it's very much a pure platforming level inspired by stuff like Super Meat Boy. It's tough but it's very fair once you learn it, and a few of the coins take some real precision to grab. There isn't much in the way of objects as I'm still not very great about incorporating a lot of those but I think you guys will enjoy it a lot if you're a big fan of 2D platformers.

EDIT: Thanks, Wired All Wrong.

Also, the screenshot the game chose to showcase the level is by far the most boring part of the entire thing so try to look past that. :p

areal

Login to the soundshapesgame.com website and queue the levels you want. Then on the Vita go to the Community section and select your profile and the queued levels are under the "hearted" section.

Or you can search for the levels by name on the Vita.
Thanks. All queued up.

orioto

Good Art™
The editor is cool, but is also very cumbersome to use. Not every object can be manipulated the same which sucks. When you have an idea in your head that requires the use of an object, but it just needs to be "just a bit bigger", and then you find out you can only rotate it, it really puts a damper on the fun in creating things. It's pretty much a poor man's LBP creation kit.

Except ... i've not played LBP a lot, but i already saw some impressive example of incredibly sharp and precise level design in Sound Shapes, worthy of hardcore indy platformers, when LBP only feels vague and futile to me, in term of gameplay.

Also, the screenshot the game chose to showcase the level is by far the most boring part of the entire thing so try to look past that. :p

The screen you save your level on is the screenshot the game shows to everyone. You can go back and save it on the screen you want and re-publish it if you want to change it.

Okay, just got this game on a whim before I went to sleep and the Vita hasn't left my hands yet. I'm fucking hooked! So far "Touch the People" is my favorite level. Ranked 16th so far! :D

Can't wait to get cracking with the level editor and to try out GAF's as well. :)

Oni Jazar

Okay, just got this game on a whim before I went to sleep and the Vita hasn't left my hands yet. I'm fucking hooked! So far "Touch the People" is my favorite level. Ranked 16th so far! :D

Can't wait to get cracking with the level editor and to try out GAF's as well. :)

I can't wait until you try the level editor!

Roubjon

I bought this like an hour ago and have been loving it. I can tell I'm going to be using the Level editor all the damn time, it's that good. I'm extremely surprised to be honest. I'll let you guys know when I finish making a level or two, and will be busy playing your levels as well.

And one more by me. It's called "Down In The Dumps".

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/eiJnRGeF

I feel like I get most out of playing with the music and rhythms, and I also like to have some challenging parts in my levels. However, visual fidelity doesn't really seem to be my thing. I guess I'm just too impatient too make it all look neat and polished. :( Can anybody relate?

Gemüsepizza;41069981 said:
And... ? There is a time limit. This should be enough to make it difficult.

You mean I have to accept that the devs want me to waste my time on unbeatable situations, because they were to lazy to balance them right, or thought this would be "fun"?

Learning a pattern within a time limit is a completely different kind of difficulty than what Death Mode offers. You can't know what to expect next. That shapes the gameplay. As for wasting time, each play through is 30 seconds at most, and generally quite a bit less.

depward

Just letting you all know - the sound shapes website is optimized for mobile and works real slick queuing up levels. Was dreading doing it on my phone but now have all Gaf levels queued up!

pargonta

Man... I've been working on a level since saturday a few hours a day and I thought it was going good....

then i played I am fire and some others and my enthusiasm to finalize it is shot lol.

regardless, i should have a pretty chill, long, adventurous level up later tonight.

loving this game. or should i say, the editor. loved the albums too, i just only went through em once.

Am i missing something with the greatest hits? Alot of them are just rubbish attempts at trying to replicate some tune. Moar original levels plz.

Also the levels with vocals I enjoyed alot more (ie. the beck levels).

pargonta

Am i missing something with the greatest hits? Alot of them are just rubbish attempts at trying to replicate some tune. Moar original levels plz.

Also the levels with vocals I enjoyed alot more (ie. the beck levels).

Greatest hits desperately needs to be refreshed and cultured by devs or something, which appears to not be happening now.

It's been the same since last week edgar, so all those are simple experiment levels from day 1 which is the problem. needs regular refreshes moving forward

Beaten the game and unlocked Beat School and Death Mode. Beat School is an interesting puzzle mini-game, trying to recreate a beat. Death Mode, on the other hand, is some pretty blatant bullshit. The problem is that the randomised notes makes things impossible within the time limit, but then again there's a reason they called it "death mode".

Markew001

As far as I'm concerned the "greatest hits" list is the one here on gaf!

Also, I would love to see the editor patched with the ability to create "death mode"-style challenges. Creators could place the 10-20 points where the notes could possibly appear and then set the time and score limit. I must be in the minority in thinking more death mode challenges would be great! Loved 'em.

Top Bottom