• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

CorySchmitz

Finally finished and uploaded my first song/level… Shadow of the Colossus!
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/0EABTyrT

All 16 Colossi are represented. 10-15 minute runtime. 167 sound pickups. You journey into and through the forbidden land, but where will you end up?

I was bumping right up against the total item limit for a level which was fun when finishing up budgeting the use of certain items. i am happy with how it turned out and i'd love for some others to give it a go. Let me know what you think!

You are a true hero.

jbartee

So pargonta, I'm sure you know this already, but that level kicks total ass. Just incredibly well done. It's really awesome how you use the red circles as the colossi hit points, and I love what you're doing with backgrounds and general atmosphere. Was really happy to see even the secret garden represented too, and in the geographically correct position at that! If there's any justice in the world it'll make it to the greatest hits page.

Man-is-Obsolete, I played cutting through last night and really dug it. Both the art and the track kind of remind of Radiohead for some reason. Love those vertically positioned trees on the second screen, and the ascending gear-staircase. One problem I noticed: after the big leap of faith, when you land on the little hill, if you back up to the right you end up in weird no-mans land. Maybe put a rock or something there to box the player in?

pargonta

So pargonta, I'm sure you know this already, but that level kicks total ass. Just incredibly well done. It's really awesome how you use the red circles as the colossi hit points, and I love what you're doing with backgrounds and general atmosphere. Was really happy to see even the secret garden represented too, and in the geographically correct position at that! If there's any justice in the world it'll make it to the greatest hits page.

thank you much! i am so sick of playing through it for editing and testing lol. might be too long, focus too much on atmosphere, but it was fun making and i think it came out okay.

Man-is-Obsolete, I played cutting through last night and really dug it. Both the art and the track kind of remind of Radiohead for some reason. Love those vertically positioned trees on the second screen, and the ascending gear-staircase. One problem I noticed: after the big leap of faith, when you land on the little hill, if you back up to the right you end up in weird no-mans land. Maybe put a rock or something there to box the player in?

Dang it I know where you are talking about. I am always concerned about leaving loose ends. Lol. Thanks for the kind comments.

That SotC was some awesome stuff. Loved the exploration you had and the recreation of some of colossai was spot on. Well done I am sure that took a lot of work.

Edit: just republished Cutting Through patching the gateway to no man's land. Thanks for finding that!

jbartee

Just republished And I to Fire with a special screen made just for the cover art. Everyone should probably start doing it that way -you can make something really eye-catching that sets the tone and attracts people to your level. I just made my art a few screens out from the actual level so it doesn't interfere with any of the gameplay.

Just republished And I to Fire with a special screen made just for the cover art. Everyone should probably start doing it that way -you can make something really eye-catching that sets the tone and attracts people to your level. I just made my art a few screens out from the actual level so it doesn't interfere with any of the gameplay.

Hey I just played halfway through your level and loved it. Although my ps3 froze on me during and I couldn't finish, maybe because you were republishing at the same time. Got to say man that was a killer tune you had going and I loved the verticality of your level. Have to try it again soon. Makes me want to do better.

Also shout out to The-Darkest-Red. His level, Coco Puff, it's really well done and has a great song as well. Though it makes me realize how much I hate those spinning thongs that you have to be thrown from. Lol.

Markew001

Great idea!

jbartee

Hey I just played halfway through your level and loved it. Although my ps3 froze on me during and I couldn't finish, maybe because you were republishing at the same time. Got to say man that was a killer tune you had going and I loved the verticality of your level. Have to try it again soon. Makes me want to do better.

Also shout out to The-Darkest-Red. His level, Coco Puff, it's really well done and has a great song as well. Though it makes me realize how much I hate those spinning thongs that you have to be thrown from. Lol.

Oh no! sorry my level crashed your PS3, that's not good. Thanks so much for the kind words. Definitely do give it another go if you have it in you -the best stuff happens at the very end!

billsmugs

Dang it I know where you are talking about. I am always concerned about leaving loose ends. Lol. Thanks for the kind comments.

I was just coming to post that, and to say that it was the only problem I had with the level and otherwise it was excellent.

I'll post some impressions of other levels I liked a bit later, one question I have though is: if these things
CzaAn.png
pin you against a wall, is there any way to escape without restarting the level completely? It happened to me on a few levels (not sure whether they were by gaffers or not) and I couldn't seem to do anything. It can occur any time you come between one of the projectiles and a solid object, so if there isn't a way out, it's a good idea to have them directed at level transitions or lethal objects.

PoxyRadical

Neo Member
I was just coming to post that, and to say that it was the only problem I had with the level and otherwise it was excellent.

I'll post some impressions of other levels I liked a bit later, one question I have though is: if these things
CzaAn.png
pin you against a wall, is there any way to escape without restarting the level completely? It happened to me on a few levels (not sure whether they were by gaffers or not) and I couldn't seem to do anything. It can occur any time you come between one of the projectiles and a solid object, so if there isn't a way out, it's a good idea to have them directed at level transitions or lethal objects.

Hold run and press jump, you eventually come loose. I have been getting stuck like that a lot in the editor.

Thanks man, I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) I remember feeling like the spinning things were hard to get a hold of when I first saw them in the campaign but after finishing up death mode they felt like a breeze. If you get a chance you should try out my second level and let me know what you think. Personally I like the song from that one a lot more.

PoxyRadical said:
If anyone has the time to checkout my level(s), why, that would be swell...

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/WVfaT5D4

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/Mm7dVVzs
All queued up, man. I'll give these a shot later tonight.

I've enjoyed most of the levels I've played from this thread. Definitely a higher overall quality bar than just picking random custom levels.

Just finished up my first level and it kinda got buried in new releases. It's pretty decent and doesn't deserve the fate it got so far!

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/noNpR4BN
The link isn't working for me...

T.O.P

Banned
Guys i'm not getting how to see wich level i hearted and wich people i'm following

I go to Community and then search people and i heart their level and i can play them right away, but if i want to play without re-searching them what i am supposed to do?

@i'm an idiot, i didn't get that i need to search my profile lol

Sound shapes is just getting me more hyped for lbp vita. I dunno about anyone else but Im so much more motivated to create stuff when its on a handheld.

Sound shapes is just getting me more hyped for lbp vita. I dunno about anyone else but Im so much more motivated to create stuff when its on a handheld.

Me too. For me it's the pick up and go aspect of it. I save my level, put it to sleep, later I wake it up and within 2 seconds I am creating again.

T.O.P

Banned
God i'm loving the game :3

I'll try to create some Sakanaction related stuf as soon as i'll finish the main game :3

reminder

I give up... i thought i'd be on a good way to my very first platinum, but i have to give up. Death Mode is too damn hard for me. I've beaten 6 or 7 levels in death mode but there's no way i'll beat all. :/

The game is still an awesome experience, though. Loved the campaign levels and also the beat school. Will try user levels soon when my wifi doesn't suck and lets me connect to the PSN (not Sound Shapes related, i have problems with every game when i use my gf's wifi).

Rand6

Finally finished and uploaded my first song/level… Shadow of the Colossus!
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/0EABTyrT

All 16 Colossi are represented. 10-15 minute runtime. 167 sound pickups. You journey into and through the forbidden land, but where will you end up?

I was bumping right up against the total item limit for a level which was fun when finishing up budgeting the use of certain items. i am happy with how it turned out and i'd love for some others to give it a go. Let me know what you think!

I don't have the game, but I would love to see what it looks like on youtube...
I'll definitely pick that when I'll get a Vita, a few months from now ...

pargonta

I don't have the game, but I would love to see what it looks like on youtube...
I'll definitely pick that when I'll get a Vita, a few months from now ...

well i'm rolling with the ps3 copy so that would work too.

I should have time later tonight to record a 100% run through for YT, will be direct feed but only 480 or so. I'll link it when it's up.

Rand6

well i'm rolling with the ps3 copy so that would work too.

I should have time later tonight to record a 100% run through for YT, will be direct feed but only 480 or so. I'll link it when it's up.

Thank you, I really appreciate!

@ reminder
From what I understand, luck play a huge part on Death mode...

orioto

Good Art™
I'm working on my first level and discovering how everything works. It's challenging to work with melodic material cause you have to put notes at some places yet respect the level design. I'm not really working on complicated graphics, as my interest is the music in this game :p

By the way a question, is there a way to comfortably test a level, and by that i mean trying the screen you're working on, and not the whole level each time ? Cause when you're working on a difficult level, it can be a real pain in the ass..

I'm working on my first level and discovering how everything works. It's challenging to work with melodic material cause you have to put notes at some places yet respect the level design. I'm not really working on complicated graphics, as my interest is the music in this game :p

By the way a question, is there a way to comfortably test a level, and by that i mean trying the screen you're working on, and not the whole level each time ? Cause when you're working on a difficult level, it can be a real pain in the ass..

Move the record player (spawn point) to the screen you want.

jbartee

So this thread is great and it's awesome that the levels here are getting some exposure, but I wish there was a better process in-game for promoting and sharing levels. It would be great if there was a way to tag levels and some sort of recommendation / related levels system like youtube does for video. Right now it's not clear to me how people are supposed to find the kind of content they're looking for except through random chance or through word of mouth. There are already several different "genres" of levels forming -if I want something with serious platforming for example, there should be a way to filter for that verses exploration levels, or music-first levels, or homages, etc. etc.

Just played And I to Fire...absolutely amazing

Thank you! I'm a little overwhelmed by the positive response to the level. So glad people are getting something out of it.

Top Bottom