• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Greatest hits desperately needs to be refreshed and cultured by devs or something, which appears to not be happening now.

It's been the same since last week edgar, so all those are simple experiment levels from day 1 which is the problem. needs regular refreshes moving forward

Ok thats good then I guess. I was seriously thinking "is this the best people can come up with in a week". Haha.

StuBurns

Banned
The Beck levels are pretty amazing, much closer to creating that feeling of making the music while playing than the other albums.

orioto

Good Art™
Ok thats good then I guess. I was seriously thinking "is this the best people can come up with in a week". Haha.

Yeah me to and that's not good cause i was like "oh, this must be seriously limited if this is what people can do..." then i tried gaf levels :p

jondabomb

Just picked this up and I'm loving it so far, pretty good deal for $15. I can't recall any game I've played where I actually bothered to put headphones on to enjoy the soundtrack

jbartee

So I can definitely confirm that some levels (mine included) play back with stuttery audio / lower fps on the PS3 version compared to the Vita. There are a couple portions in my level that are so bad the whole effect is sorta ruined -even though they play back flawlessly on the Vita. This is a real shame because it means that in the future I've got to constantly check my levels on the PS3 to make sure the experience is consistent. I suppose best practice would be to create on the PS3 since it's the bottleneck, but you'd have to be nuts to choose a six axis over a touch screen for content creation. So I guess it's edit on Vita, compile and play on PS3.

Or just say fuggit to PS3 I guess, adopt a "made for Vita" stance on levels that push the engine hard.

So I can definitely confirm that some levels (mine included) play back with stuttery audio / lower fps on the PS3 version compared to the Vita. There are a couple portions in my level that are so bad the whole effect is sorta ruined -even though they play back flawlessly on the Vita. This is a real shame because it means that in the future I've got to constantly check my levels on the PS3 to make sure the experience is consistent. I suppose best practice would be to create on the PS3 since it's the bottleneck, but you'd have to be nuts to choose a six axis over a touch screen for content creation. So I guess it's edit on Vita, compile and play on PS3.

Or just say fuggit to PS3 I guess, adopt a "made for Vita" stance on levels that push the engine hard.

I wonder why the PS3 version is so much less optimized.
Hmm, that's strange. I haven't tried any of my levels on PS3 so they might be terrible for all I know.

Hmm, that's strange. I haven't tried any of my levels on PS3 so they might be terrible for all I know.

I only played my first level on the ps3 and noticed the audio was clipping (the sound made when the audio is pushed into the red). Strange indeed.

Also there are some clear hints this game was made for the Vita and then ported to the PS3 and that may be the root of some the problems on the PS3 and explain why they aren't present on the Vita. maybe memory is the issue? Vita actually has more.

jbartee

There's a point even on the Vita at which sonic elements start loosing their sync a little bit, or you get noticeable gaps when switching rooms where the audio will pause for a second. This is directly related to object density. If you've noticed any of that then you can be pretty sure those rooms are gonna run like crap on the PS3. There are like 4 or 5 spots in my level that straddle this limit very carefully -I put in just the right amount of stuff to stay under the performance threshold on the Vita. But density would have to be significantly lower to run well on PS3 it seems.

EDIT: my understanding is that the the whole game is scripted which means it's pushing the hardware a lot harder then you might expect for a 2d platformer. For whatever reason I guess the engine is just less optimized on the PS3 then on the Vita.

I had some audio problems the other day on my level when I tried the PS3 version. I had my PS3 set to output Dolby Digital and DTS I think. I let the PS3 automatically detect audio settings and it made my receiver say MULTI IN or something like that. The audio still had some weird issues here and there, but it was much better than before. Maybe the game has some problems with Dolby Digital?

Oh and as for wishes for DLC, I also hope that we can gain the ability to set notes to the left or right or center. meaning I could have a guitar playing in the right speaker and another instrument in the left.

It would also create the ability to harmonize.

Also I know the devs read this board so allow me to plead. That list by Wired All Wrong has a lot of awesome levels that are seemingly neglected and hard to happen upon in the game. Maybe the Greatest Hits can get refreshed by you guys with some the best and most recent levels. Right now the levels that are the most played will always be the most played, and not even the "greatest" because they have the most exposure in the game and on your site. Time to shine a spotlight on some of the best work so that those creators can get their rightful recognition and make it easier on everyone else to find truly great community levels and understand that there is great content out there.

I pretty much just destroyed my hand playing death mode for 2 hours. I need a grip for the Vita :(
Are you using the d-pad or stick? I was using the d-pad for awhile but I had to switch because it was destroying my hand. It's still rough either way but you might try switching to the stick if you haven't yet.

Also I know the devs read this board so allow me to plead. That list by Wired All Wrong has a lot of awesome levels that are seemingly neglected and hard to happen upon in the game. Maybe the Greatest Hits can get refreshed by you guys with some the best and most recent levels. Right now the levels that are the most played will always be the most played, and not even the "greatest" because they have the most exposure in the game and on your site. Time to shine a spotlight on some of the best work so that those creators can get their rightful recognition and make it easier on everyone else to find truly great community levels and understand that there is great content out there.
I agree. There definitely needs to be a better way to find "Greatest Hits." Relying simply on the number of plays just doesn't cut it.

Yes, this needs to happen. Those songs have thousands of plays and I don't think other songs will ever have a chance to get that many unless a song goes viral or some shit. The only way to get your song more exposure is to re-publish it often so it shows up on the New Releases page. After a while that might not even be an option because people will start abusing that by re-publishing their shitty levels a hundred times a day to keep it on the front page. Lots of great levels will never be played.

Best way to find some good levels is to check the New Release section and look for a good liked to played ratio.

kiyomi

Played this for the first time today.

Love the aesthetic and the music is great, two things which make this a nice purchase already. The general platforming is okay, the level design can be quite tricky and clever in some places. I find the actual jumping to be a bit hit or miss, I don't think my brain has quite accustomed to the very slight differences in jump height sometimes.

As for the editor, I've only had it for a couple of hours, but I find it oddly frustrating. The biggest thing is the way the game is structured, all the music just compiles onto one another, meaning you can't really make a nice tune.. as far as I can tell? Although I saw that people have recreated the Mario Bros theme, so I guess I can't comment really :p

Working on a level now, think I have a nice concept and hopefully a way to make it work ^_^

I'd guess this has been mentioned before but I think the most useful addition to the level editor would be a fourth option for the material type of normal objects --- negative space. It would be great if I could start with a solid rectangular block and then carve out the level by using shapes that just take away what's already there.

orioto

Good Art™
So i finished the campaign mode, then i tried a little the editor. But it's more complex than what i would have thought. or maybe i'm waiting for too much.

My main problem is.. The music from the levels, it's confusing cause it has many natures.. There is the music done by the objects ok. Then the one you add with the notes, but it's generally not that much. But i guess official levels have also unchanged music in the background.. or have they ? Basically what i'm asking is if the music in the levels has to be only from the dynamic objects and the notes added or if we can add some main base to that in the background..

Also i'm confused with the fact that sometimes the music change from a screen to another, but other time i doesn't... And in the editor, i didn't find a way to decide that, but when i switch screens, the music desappear after 2 or three screens... is it just arbitrary ???

So i finished the campaign mode, then i tried a little the editor. But it's more complex than what i would have thought. or maybe i'm waiting for too much.

My main problem is.. The music from the levels, it's confusing cause it has many natures.. There is the music done by the objects ok. Then the one you add with the notes, but it's generally not that much. But i guess official levels have also unchanged music in the background.. or have they ? Basically what i'm asking is if the music in the levels has to be only from the dynamic objects and the notes added or if we can add some main base to that in the background..

Also i'm confused with the fact that sometimes the music change from a screen to another, but other time i doesn't... And in the editor, i didn't find a way to decide that, but when i switch screens, the music desappear after 2 or three screens... is it just arbitrary ???

I hope this answers your question....notes that you place on a screen will play on the next 2 screens from it. Meaning it can be heard 2 up, 2 down, 2 left, 2 right, and 1 screen diagonally from it.

Think of it this way if created a level that was a 3x3 grid the note in the center square would play in all 9 but the note in the top left would play in 6 of them.

orioto

Good Art™
I hope this answers your question....notes that you place on a screen will play on the next 2 screens from it. Meaning it can be heard 2 up, 2 down, 2 left, 2 right, and 1 screen diagonally from it.

Think of it this way if created a level that was a 3x3 grid the note in the center square would play in all 9 but the note in the top left would play in 6 of them.

Oh thx ok, weird. So that's a fix value and you have to use it, interesting.
But i guess it's true only for the notes you collected, and not for the notes created by the objects ?

Correct, and for an excellent example of this check out Beck - Cities, the 1st song on the album. It shows how adding in new objects frame by frame can be used to build a song rather than just notes.
Also, about that level (and probably the other Beck levels if I recall correctly), did you notice how a lot of times it seems like it takes just long enough to get through a screen to keep the song progressing at an ideal pace? I can imagine a scenario where there was an ideal completion time for each screen and the devs keep tweaking it until the average completion time hit that mark. I might be over-thinking it but it seems a little too perfect at times, you know? Even if they didn't go into that kind of detail I'm sure it was at least a consideration.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been playing it on Vita. I'm so glad this was ported to PS3, the performance on the Vita version is really not up to snuff by comparison. The creation tools a much nicer though, it's cool to have it on both.

jbartee

I've been playing it on Vita. I'm so glad this was ported to PS3, the performance on the Vita version is really not up to snuff by comparison. The creation tools a much nicer though, it's cool to have it on both.

Really? I've found exactly the opposite to be the case. What performance problems are you noticing on the Vita?

Cudder

So the Community Favs section is still pretty much the same as the day the game came out. They need to switch it up weekly or something. The most popular levels are always getting showcased, while newer, amazing levels get buried.

StuBurns

Banned
Really? I've found exactly the opposite to be the case. What performance problems are you noticing on the Vita?
The framerate slips on some of the busier screens for me. It's very strange, it'll be perfect one minute, bad the next, very irritating. I do play better on Vita though, no idea why.

jbartee

The framerate slips on some of the busier screens for me. It's very strange, it'll be perfect one minute, bad the next, very irritating. I do play better on Vita though, no idea why.

Very strange. I've noticed exactly what you're describing but in reverse. For me the Vita plays levels perfectly but the PS3 drops frames and stutters audio on denser screens.

I wonder if there are certain conditions that hit the Vita harder, and certain conditions that hit the PS3 harder.

magawolaz

Beck album is magnificent. Cities is so good.

Beat Scool reminds me of Beat It! for iOS, awesome. I wouldn't mind an option to mute every note already in position, to try the other ones.

Death mode is driving me crazy.

Famassu

Did the first and Becks album's in Death Mode. While somewhat frustrating due to randomness, it hasn't been THAT bad so far. And, in the end, I don't really feel too annoyed by the randomness. I don't mind the times when the notes are clearly so far apart that getting them in time is impossible, I'm more frustrated by the times when the notes come in almost perfect order but I suck so much myself that I fail in some stupid ways.

billsmugs

I was worried that it'd be tough to make a tune that sounded good, but I was really surprised by how easy it was, as well as the quality of the editor itself. One thing I'd really like is the ability to change layers of objects though.

My first level, quite short and easy: Cliff to Cave (Coming up with a name was the hardest part!)

I'd love to hear any impressions/suggestions, I'm queuing up all the GAF levels for tonight/tomorrow and I'll hopefully comment on a few of my favourites then.

Beat Scool reminds me of Beat It! for iOS, awesome. I wouldn't mind an option to mute every note already in position, to try the other ones.

Beck levels were really hard, and that first one is super long.

But sooo good.

Clunker

I was coming to recommend Beat It to anyone else who loved Beat School, like me. :) I only wish it were longer!

Finally had time to play through the Cities album today, and holy shit, I think it might be my favorite album. What a trip. Whatever the second level/track is blew my mind. I think all of the prebuilt campaign levels were amazing, though Beck, Superbrothers, and Deadmau5 really stood out for me. Now I'm spending time really sinking into the editor, and it's a great blend of platforming and multi-track recording. :p

Need to check out some GAF-made levels now.

you better not deprive me of your system crushing levels (I'm on ps3)

Last night I was going to ask whether or not all this stuttery audio was just my mixamp/headphones failing.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
This death mode, ergh, I think my true skill in gaming is perfectly timed jumps to death.

Game is a test in frustration, this is probably why I don't play games like Super Meat Boy, I've spent god knows how long on the second death level just bouncing and killing myself, I feel like I should go beat a pillow with a bat or something at the moment.

Sheik

Love this game. The music is amazing, although I didn't really like deadmau5's album. Not sure if I'll be able to beat all the levels Death Mode though. I admittedly have low patience lol.

pargonta

Finally finished and uploaded my first song/level… Shadow of the Colossus!
http://soundshapesgame.com/level/0EABTyrT

All 16 Colossi are represented. 10-15 minute runtime. 167 sound pickups. You journey into and through the forbidden land, but where will you end up?

I was bumping right up against the total item limit for a level which was fun when finishing up budgeting the use of certain items. i am happy with how it turned out and i'd love for some others to give it a go. Let me know what you think!

I updated my latest level: http://soundshapesgame.com/level/ad6VVybK

I changed some aesthetic parts, and tried to give the level a little better flow.

All 16 Colossi are represented. 10-15 minute runtime. 167 sound pickups. You journey into and through the forbidden land, but where will you end up?

I was bumping right up against the total item limit for a level which was fun when finishing up budgeting the use of certain items. i am happy with how it turned out and i'd love for some others to give it a go. Let me know what you think!

That sounds amazing. I can't wait to get home and check it out.

jbartee

Dude. this sounds so awesome. All queued up and ready to go, brb.

Top Bottom