• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

jbartee

The song is so fantastic, man, especially that wonderful bassline. It's easily up there with the campaign levels.

thanks again. I have an unfair advantage though, I'm totally a "trained" musician -ten years studying music in higher education. With that sort of assistance I think anyone could make a killer track!

pargonta

I don't have the game, but I would love to see what it looks like on youtube...
I'll definitely pick that when I'll get a Vita, a few months from now ...

Rand6 here is a (poor) youtube upload of my sotc level http://youtu.be/bDnMAod4I80

disclosure, I game on a 32in1080plcd, i just don't have proper capture equipment, but this should give a taste of the level

Orioto I'm queuing it up right now! can't wait.

9 Death Mode levels left. This game mode destroyed every single good feeling I had about the game, and the first thing I will probably do when I reach platinum, is to uninstall the game. I don't understand it. Why did the game designers implement this mode? What was going on in their minds? Did they think this would increase sales? Did they think this would be fun for most of their players? Did they try to increase the game length with this game mode?

This game mode is not about skill, it is about bashing your head against the wall, 10 times, 20 times, 30 times and more until you are succesfull. This is not fun, and it would be so easy to fix this, by simply increasing the time limit by, maybe 5 seconds. The game would be so much better and more enjoyable.

But the sad truth is, they won't do it, and they won't learn anything about this. The game probably sold well, it received good reviews from reviewers who sometimes didn't even mention Death Mode. They probably think their game was perfect. And their next game will be exactly the same. But this time, I won't buy it.

kassatsu

Banned
Gemüsepizza;41144860 said:
9 Death Mode levels left. This game mode destroyed every single good feeling I had about the game, and the first thing I will probably do when I reach platinum, is to uninstall the game. I don't understand it. Why did the game designers implement this mode? What was going on in their minds? Did they think this would increase sales? Did they think this would be fun for most of their players? Did they try to increase the game length with this game mode?

This game mode is not about skill, it is about bashing your head against the wall, 10 times, 20 times, 30 times and more until you are succesfull. This is not fun, and it would be so easy to fix this, by simply increasing the time limit by, maybe 5 seconds. The game would be so much better and more enjoyable.

But the sad truth is, they won't do it, and they won't learn anything about this. The game probably sold well, it received good reviews from reviewers who sometimes didn't even mention Death Mode. They probably think their game was perfect. And their next game will be exactly the same. But this time, I won't buy it.

Nothing is forcing you to play Death Mode unless you are hunting for trophies. Go play some community levels and chill out.

Lol. It is a game, stop taking it so seriously. It is a poorly done mode, I'll give you that but it is entirely optional. I hate uncharted multiplayer does that mean I'm never going to buy uncharted? No way I love the single player too much.

CorySchmitz

Whoa.. It's such a small part of the game! And yeah the team reads this thread so we know your feelings about death mode! ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Lol trophy whores.

They should put in an easy mode though and just not let it unlock the trophies.
At least you can say you completed it.

darkwing

it's Death mode,not Easy Mode

Sagitario

I asked in another thread but didn't get an answer:

Is the Sound Shape discount over? I wanted to buy it last night but there wasn't any sight of a cheaper price.

Also, I got a message about getting $10 back in September. How does that work?

reminder

To make it actually challenging to get the platinum?
Death Mode is to hard for me, too. I was able to beat some of the levels, but i'm far from completing every level. But i accept the fact that it is a DEATH MODE and i have to beat it for the platinum.

Whoa.. It's such a small part of the game! And yeah the team reads this thread so we know your feelings about death mode! ;)

Since you're listening, I'll throw my thoughts in. The problem with death mode is that the random placement of notes means you're often relying entirely on luck to get you through. Sometimes levels are made laughably easy, other times completely impossible. Come up with pre-determined placements for each level and I think it would improve the mode enormously.

Death mode's incredibly frustrating and not fun at all but it hasn't effected my overall opinion of the game, which is that it's fantastic. I just won't go near death mode in any future playthroughs.

orioto

Good Art™
Based on what i'm hearing i didn't even tried the death mode. What am i not unlocking ? Important things ?

The trophies, i don't give a damn.

Also the stats on the site aren't updating smoothly it seems. There are some weird incoherences. The stats for my level read 1 play when it seems at least 4 people played it. And the leaderboard doesn't update. But... Maybe nobody finished the level ^^''

Foshy

To me personally, beating a level in Death Mode is extremely satisfying and makes up for all the rage I had when playing it.

T-0800

Are you one of the devs? Awesome game.

I just love the visuals. Not sure how to word it but parts of it remind me of Impossible Mission on C64 and other parts look like how I see Atari 2600 games in my head. This is meant as a positive. Best platformer I've played this gen.

To me personally, beating a level in Death Mode is extremely satisfying and makes up for all the rage I had when playing it.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. It was such a good feeling for me to get the platinum. Not only was it my first one but I got it in a game I truly love.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So this thread is great and it's awesome that the levels here are getting some exposure, but I wish there was a better process in-game for promoting and sharing levels. It would be great if there was a way to tag levels and some sort of recommendation / related levels system like youtube does for video. Right now it's not clear to me how people are supposed to find the kind of content they're looking for except through random chance or through word of mouth. There are already several different "genres" of levels forming -if I want something with serious platforming for example, there should be a way to filter for that verses exploration levels, or music-first levels, or homages, etc. etc.

Thank you! I'm a little overwhelmed by the positive response to the level. So glad people are getting something out of it.

Did you publish any other music somewhere? The track is really good.

Famassu

Okay, so Event Horizon Death Mode #1 is total & utter BS. >_< The rest I haven't had too much problems with so far, and a few have actually been fun in an "challenging but not cheap" kind of way.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I got the Platinum on the PS3 version and cloudsyned to get the Platinum for free on the Vita version, but damn, the visuals look great on the Vita, really sharp and really awesome. It makes me with there were more stunning looking 2D games and less iffy looking 3D games.

Also, the death levels really suck, you can play a level hundreds of times till you are lucky enough to have notes appear in just the right place to make it in time.

So this thread is great and it's awesome that the levels here are getting some exposure, but I wish there was a better process in-game for promoting and sharing levels. It would be great if there was a way to tag levels and some sort of recommendation / related levels system like youtube does for video. Right now it's not clear to me how people are supposed to find the kind of content they're looking for except through random chance or through word of mouth. There are already several different "genres" of levels forming -if I want something with serious platforming for example, there should be a way to filter for that verses exploration levels, or music-first levels, or homages, etc. etc.

Heh, sounds like when LBP first came out.

Plenty of games of Solitaire are unbeatable. Nobody thinks they wasted their time on one, because they just move on to the next one.

Funny you mention that. When I was playing Death Mode I likened it to free cell where inevitably you are dealt a hand you can't win and other hands that require early correct moves.

Finished all of the offered official levels and, in general, I really dig this game. Wish they'd patch it to get rid of that intermittent pause that occurs shortly after initializing and starting a new screen despite it not really meaning anything to the game itself, it has caused me unnecessary deaths. Otherwise, great fun...once you get used to the constant switching of stick/unstick, like some hyper Gish or something.

Ah! I still gotta make wallpapers. Soon!

Also, this video made me super happy:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/17/playstation-all-stars-dream-roster-sound-shapes-blob

Awesome! That pixelart is great.

I like that the Vita's activity screen shows what user levels other players in your friend's list have played. Perhaps in a future update you could make that optional, and allow users to give a ranking to the level and have that show up?

Also right now that post links to the website page for that level, but in theory it is possible to tap on that and immediately go into the game and download that level, right? I mean if I compare it to challenges for instance from other games ...

Also, am I crazy or is there no friend's leaderboard filter? Because if so, that really should be addressed. It's already a shame that so few people support proper 'near' leaderboards like Modnation racers, but not having a friend's list filter should probably be grounds for failing QA acceptance for PSN distribution. ;)

Raonak

Banned

It is called DEATH MODE for a reason.

eXistor

Great game so far, I haven't played much though, but I absolutely love the fact that the second set of levels has a vastly different feel to it than the previous, graphically (superbrothers <3), musically and the levels themselves lend themselves to very different gameplay. I hope they keep that level of variety up.

billsmugs

I've played most of the GAF levels now and loved (+hearted) most of them with my favourites being Cutting Through, Shadow of the Colossus and Factory Jelly. there might have been other great ones, but it's hard to remember after playing so many one after the other! And I to Fire was also extremely clever with the way the doors were done etc and I'd love to see more like it.

I've just uploaded my second level:
lemgu.png

Escape the City which is about 1-2 mins long and not too tricky. Again, I'd welcome any comments/suggestions about both my levels.

Oni Jazar

I'm working on a sweet level but It's going to take some time to get a good level design to go with the music. Wish I had more time.

I'm working on a sweet level but It's going to take some time to get a good level design to go with the music. Wish I had more time.

I go the opposite way for the first time. I'm creating a rather ambitious level and am going to add the music later. I just hope the game will handle or allow for what all I want to do. Wish there was a gauge like in LBP to let you know how much more you can add or do.

Really hope by the end of the week I can have it done.

CorySchmitz

Are you one of the devs? Awesome game.

I just love the visuals. Not sure how to word it but parts of it remind me of Impossible Mission on C64 and other parts look like how I see Atari 2600 games in my head. This is meant as a positive. Best platformer I've played this gen.

Thanks! Yeah I was the graphic designer dude for the game!

Grinchy

Banned
Man, I am loving this game. I'm still early into the campaign but it's pretty mesmerizing. The game itself is just such a creative idea come to life. I can't wait to check out some gaffer levels and make my own.

Corto

Just finished the campaign. Wow. Deadmaus and Beck albums are the peaks of the game for me too. There's a really small detail/item in Beck's levels that I am completely enamored with. That little moving letter platform that changes with the lyrics... Damn! Really great detail.

Ah and Cory a huge kudos for the graphic design! The little k7 logo had me smiling too. ;) can't wait for those wallpapers.

Top Bottom