• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sound Shapes |OT| A Game For Vita (and PS3)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/237321755876814848

Yosp suggested this level (as do I, it's well made). I had an idea of including QR codes in the level links (like this page). So anytime someone links one, just pull out your Vita, pull up the in game QR scanner and bam, start loading the level.

He thought it was a brilliant idea and RT'ed it to soundshapes/quesy00. Hopefully they'll add it =D.

I want them in song format.

Someone needs to interrogate a Queasy employee about DLC. I want DLC, you want DLC, EVERYONE wants DLC. Shouldnt be a bad decision financial wise, I think they'd sell quite a bit of those.

PoxyRadical

Neo Member
Gemüsepizza;41201177 said:
Only one Death Mode left:

Anyone got some tips on this one? :)

This level is all about the electricity, it goes from left to right, as long as you follow that pattern to avoid dying you will get it pretty quickly.

lantus

Just saw one of the Beck levels on YouTube. So picking this up! Great track, he's one of my favorite musicians. They need to get Trent Reznor to do some.

Reznor would be a good choice. Man, there's tons of artists I would live to see make it into this game, like Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin and Chemical Brothers. Not to mention how ape-shit I would go if Daft Punk got into this. A guy can dream I suppose.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Someone needs to interrogate a Queasy employee about DLC. I want DLC, you want DLC, EVERYONE wants DLC. Shouldnt be a bad decision financial wise, I think they'd sell quite a bit of those.

As long as they aren't some really frustrating death levels, I would totally be up for some DLC.

just got this game yesterday, playing it on vita :p . its pretty awesome so far, but the scale of notes seem to be basic do re mi, are there halfsteps or sharps/flats in this game? if there isnt, is that why most of the popular user level do not really sound like the songs they're trying to emulate?

Roubjon

So I beat the Campaign today and the Beck levels were definitely the highlight of it. They were a league above all the other ones. I finished Beat School in 15 minutes and then started Death Mode. I can see why people hate it so much, but I think it's fun; it's just something else to do and will eventually get completed if I just chip away at it once in a while.

I'm definitely going to start trying to beat highscores on the leaderboards next though. I managed to get rank 11 in one of the Beck stages which was reassuring. Also I'll be making levels now that I have all of the resources for it. Be on the lookout for some of my magical beat sessions in the future.

patsu

Started playing the second album. Interesting visuals.
Wait till I get to Beck~

It's refreshing to play short games like this after P3P and VC2 back to back. ^_^

magawolaz

I was going to upload my save to the cloud, but I chose intstead the option below (the one that erases all my progress) by mistake :/

Then I tried to cloud syncing again and I got everything back!
I love cloud saving :D

Carl

Bought this on my Vita on Friday. By Saturday i had completed it and by Sunday i had platinum'd it. Absolutely great game, Queasy did a great job. Have to agree with everyone else that Beck was the highlight.

I can't wait for dlc. Not only for playing new albums buy to also have more tools for the editor. Although if they don't do a better job of highlighting community levels I fear the community will just cease. Sad as it is to say but what's the point of pouring hours and hours into levels no one will even see and play? That sucks both as a creator myself, but also because that is half the appeal of this game is the community aspect, and right now it is rotting.

pargonta

I can't wait for dlc. Not only for playing new albums buy to also have more tools for the editor. Although if they don't do a better job of highlighting community levels I fear the community will just cease. Sad as it is to say but what's the point of pouring hours and hours into levels no one will even see and play? That sucks both as a creator myself, but also because that is half the appeal of this game is the community aspect, and right now it is rotting.

Actually the Greatest Hits multi page list has been refreshed as of this morning, but obviously it's hard to highlight everything. definitely adding new great levels over times will be cool.
and oh my goodness new campaign albums would be swell.

the new art and music assets would automatically mean more editing tools as well so that would be fun.

Actually the Greatest Hits multi page list has been refreshed as of this morning, but obviously it's hard to highlight everything. definitely adding new great levels over times will be cool.
and oh my goodness new campaign albums would be swell.

the new art and music assets would automatically mean more editing tools as well so that would be fun.

Awesome I will check that out then. I understand you can't highlight everything but some would be nice was what I was saying. The greatest hits before just happened to be levels that were thrown up quickly and got a lot of hits on the first day. Nice to see they are making an effort now to highlight some great levels.

Just looked at the greatest hits, bravo! That's how the greatest hits should be done.

Alright, I just uploaded my latest level, Escape Plan. Nothing to do with the Vita game of the same name. I would love some feedback on this as it was a tricky level to craft. I used several of the doors that require a block to be in the sensor to open them, the problem is if you die you have to go back to the area where the sensor is to reactivate it (you don't even have to make a new block drop, just need to be on the screen for a second). So I had to place some rather unforgiving, but forgiving, checkpoints in order to solve this little problem. So when you die you should go back to the screen for the latest sensor you need. I forsee this having a lot of incompletes because of this but would appreciate any feedback people can offer.

http://soundshapesgame.com/level/dPYjqaqa

This is my last level for a bit, time to start playing other's levels, lol.

Markew001

Alright, I just uploaded my latest level, Escape Plan. Nothing to do with the Vita game of the same name. I would love some feedback on this as it was a tricky level to craft. I used several of the doors that require a block to be in the sensor to open them, the problem is if you die you have to go back to the area where the sensor is to reactivate it (you don't even have to make a new block drop, just need to be on the screen for a second). So I had to place some rather unforgiving, but forgiving, checkpoints in order to solve this little problem. So when you die you should go back to the screen for the latest sensor you need. I forsee this having a lot of incompletes because of this but would appreciate any feedback people can offer.

Queued up for after work! I think I'll finally be publishing my second level tonight. I should be a pretty straightforward, not terribly challenging platformer .. hope you check it out!

Endo Punk

Just waiting on my free code :p

Not a game I would buy but I'm glad I'll get to play it sooner than later to see what the fuss is about.

Queued up for after work! I think I'll finally be publishing my second level tonight. I should be a pretty straightforward, not terribly challenging platformer .. hope you check it out!

Would be glad to check it out! I have a ton of levels queued up, now that I am not creating I will put some time in checking out other user's levels.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tried to log in on the sound shapes website, getting this:

Sign in error

There was a problem during sign in.

100% sure the mail address and pw is right. Any ideas or is that a common issue?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's mind-boggling why Vita doesn't have a QR scanner to begin with. :/

In what way, scanning a QR code like on multiple other devices is purely software isn't it, the Vita has a camera, if the developers of Soundshapes wanted to put one in they could.

Toma

hmm I guess the server is getting hammered right now? let me try

edit: yeah same error for me

Same error over here.

Ah, thanks guys. First time I tried to log in there, I feared it might have been an IP issue or something (EU IP on US account) or whatever. Glad to hear its not :)

Toma

I'd love to try make and post a level too, but I am far from being experienced in creating music other than shaking my limbs and tapping fingers onto the table. I hope people wont be insulted and laugh at others posting their tries who might not be too experienced with music theory :p

I'd love to try make and post a level too, but I am far from being experienced in creating music other than shaking my limbs and tapping fingers onto the table. I hope people wont be insulted and laugh at others posting their tries who might not be too experienced with music theory :p

Game makes it very simple to create music. Even just a few notes can turn into something nice. So give it a shot!

pargonta

I liked it! Well, I liked the secrets and the idea of "unlocking" secret rooms. it definitely got confusing, and I had a failed 1st run, but it was fun figuring out what to do. I had a hard time getting back to the hub/beginning areas from the rightmost bouncy rising platform room, so traversal back from that side could be easier. the beautiful ending screen made the confusion worth it though for sure.

GWX

Cities, from Beck. The best music and visuals in the game, easily. I wish this game had an official soundtrack in sale somewhere, just to listen to this song without the sound hiccups that you notice when you play (respawns, transitions and framerate hiccups really detracts from the experience in this game. I wish it was more polished than it is right now - PS3 version here).

"Move a little. Turn a little. Break a little. Hurt a little."
It doesn't get out of my head, seriously.

I liked it! Well, I liked the secrets and the idea of "unlocking" secret rooms. it definitely got confusing, and I had a failed 1st run, but it was fun figuring out what to do. I had a hard time getting back to the hub/beginning areas from the rightmost bouncy rising platform room, so traversal back from that side could be easier. the beautiful ending screen made the confusion worth it though for sure.

Could you describe this room for me a little better? Would love to look into it and retool if need be.

Thanks for liking the level! That end screen accidently was set as my level thumbnail and I did not want to give it away. As I was creating the level, I became worried folks would get stuck and this was compounded by the fact that the switches don't work when you die and you have to re-enter the room to reactivate it. If it wasn't for that I could have set much more forgiving checkpoints. It's a challenge for sure and hope others give it a chance. Believe me it was a challenge to create, and keep track of everything. I am also pretty proud of how I used the moving bounce pad, as I never seen it used in that way.

Excellent level! Everyone needs to play this. Great soundtrack and just puzzling enough.. never frustrating. Nicely done.

Thank you! Anything you would edit to make it more enjoyable experience? I was very concerned about the soundtrack, so glad you like that!

You ever finish your level?

pargonta

Could you describe this room for me a little better? Would love to look into it and retool if need be.

It is the thumbnail for the level now i think, the one with the protruding spikes and the "doors" on the bottom. i think it was just my stupidity, i kept jumping to the wrong protruding spear in order to go back left, so in that way, it's actually a great puzzle lol. the bouncy platform was ace, a great test of skill, i died many times trying until i finally got it.

It is the thumbnail for the level now i think, the one with the protruding spikes and the "doors" on the bottom. i think it was just my stupidity, i kept jumping to the wrong protruding spear in order to go back left, so in that way, it's actually a great puzzle lol. the bouncy platform was ace, a great test of skill, i died many times trying until i finally got it.

Cool, I may leave it as is for now. It requires a bit of memory recall because you go through that level forward once and then on the way back you are trying to remember which one to take. Repeated plays will solve that, and this is one level I feel repeated plays will be rewarding in shaving a lot of time off. Sub 3 minute times should be easy after a few tries.

Toma

Wanted to do something rather simple as my first try. Just a melody that is being created over 4 screens. In 2 hours I only was able to create the melody and the first proper screen (including platforming elements).

._.

I guess it will take me another 4-5 hours to get the other screens in a playable state, being not only placeholders for music notes.

Geez, this stuff sure takes a lot of time. But hey, at least I managed to put a secret area in ,which still needs to be decorated too. Fun though.

Wanted to do something rather simple as my first try. Just a melody that is being created over 4 screens. In 2 hours I only was able to create the melody and the first proper screen (including platforming elements).

._.

I guess it will take me another 4-5 hours to get the other screens in a playable state, being not only placeholders for music notes.

Geez, this stuff sure takes a lot of time. But hey, at least I managed to put a secret area in ,which still needs to be decorated too. Fun though.

Making and decorating levels is so fun. ^_^

Toma

Making and decorating levels is so fun. ^_^

It is, but it feels so.. restrictive.

I am having a hard time thinking of fitting decorational themes with the blocks/colors available. I used an underground theme with rocks and lava (creative, I know), but other than that I cant think of much. While creating the level yesterday, I wanted something with a specific color, like a tree or water, but my current color setup did not allow for that, which feels very restrictive.

Since I just mentioned that, can I create "water" where the character can swim in? Like swimming through a pond to get to the other side of the screen.

Also: If I put up a level now, can I change it later again without losing the stats/likes on it or would I need to delete the published level and re-publish it again?

I am having a hard time thinking of fitting decorational themes with the blocks/colors available. I used an underground theme with rocks and lava (creative, I know), but other than that I cant think of much. While creating the level yesterday, I wanted something with a specific color, like a tree or water, but my current color setup did not allow for that, which feels very restrictive.

Since I just mentioned that, can I create "water" where the character can swim in? Like swimming through a pond to get to the other side of the screen.

Coming from LBP1/2/Vita, I know that feel. But I think the restrictive creative process helps me think out of the box more when making the different motifs in the level and using different objects beyond their original intent. As for water without having to use the power ups, it's in the Beyonder section of objects in the last row. Kinda looks like a waterfall. That should be what you're looking for.

Toma

Coming from LBP1/2/Vita, I know that feel. But I think the restrictive creative process helps me think out of the box more when making the different motifs in the level and using different objects beyond their original intent. As for water without having to use the power ups, it's in the Beyonder section of objects in the last row. Kinda looks like a waterfall. That should be what you're looking for.

Yeah, restriction often times leads to surprising creativity, but I havent seemingly broken the barrier to that yet. Simply using a self made colorsetup would go a long way though..

Oni Jazar

Yes there is a "water" object that the player can "swim" through.

Markew001

Thank you! Anything you would edit to make it more enjoyable experience? I was very concerned about the soundtrack, so glad you like that!

You ever finish your level?

No, I really wouldn't change a thing. Like you mentioned in another post; after you play through it once or twice, figuring out what everything does, where the paths lead, and the correct order to collect the notes, it really makes for an enjoyable speed run! This is Man-is-Obsolete's level for everyone that missed it on the last page: http://soundshapesgame.com/level/dPYjqaqa

And... I think my level is about finished. I am having trouble deciding which screen to save on. =P

Hopefully it'll go up tonight!

Edit: It appears the "average lives" count on the website is now working! That must've been the reason for the website downtime yesterday. Makes things a bit more interesting!

Top Bottom